Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-16-2010, 12:11 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 490 Likes on 308 Posts
Default Has any other MIke's done this???

Traveled 4 hours yesterday to a graduation which just happened to be in a town with two Michael's. Went to the one closer to the side of town we were on. It just opened about 3 months ago and is large and clean. Wanted to check out the EK success locking punches to see if there were any that needed to come home with me......................couldn't find them.

Finally tracked down a clerk----------------she said,,,,oh, we discontinued carrying those when we moved from the old store. She didn't know if the other store(almost 45 minutes driving time away) would have them.

Was bummed for sure.

Went on to next store on list which was a great LSS and SURPRISE!!!!!! they now carry the EK's locking punches and I did find some that needed to come with me----but of course, they don't ever have 40% or 50% coupons like Mikes........

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2010, 12:55 PM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine still has all their EK Success locking punches. The only ones with clearance stuff on them are ones that have been around for awhile (like they clearance seasonal stuff). My Mike's is really small and never has a good selection and only rarely has the newest of anything until it's been out for awhile and isn't so new. Nothing about clearancing the whole EK Success line, only a few particular ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2010, 12:56 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My store still has them, and they just revamped most of that section of the store. The only thing I could name that was missing was the Quickie glue pen, so I guess I'll have to get those online from now on. I hope we don't lose the punches!

Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2010, 01:50 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has them too and it is a small store. They just got in a pile of new ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2010, 02:19 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

Micheal's selection is very limited now. Joann's is expanding their ek locking punches selection.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2010, 02:30 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 4 Mikes I have been been to recently still have EK Success punches but mostly the older ones. One of the Joann's that I frequent has a new separate display that had lots of the new ones - both shapes, borders, flowers. One 'stuck' to me so I bought it - the chain. (Had a 50% off coupon)

Yesterday, I found the embossed scallop at a Mike's that is 45 min from me. I bought it. When I got it home, noticed that it wasn't locking shut. Tried inserting c/s to punch but couldn't get it to go in far enough. When I took a closer look, someone must have returned it because there was c/s stuck in the cutting area. I used a scissor and whacked the bottom and the blades released the stuck c/s. It works fine but my question is - "Why did the staff put a punch back on the display when there was c/s stuck?'" I was also wondering when I opened the packaging why it was so loose. Oh well, bought it with a 40% off coupon and it works fine now that I got the blades to release the paper stuck in them.

Actually, all the Mikes I go have very helpful staff. One time, one of the clerks actually walked me to the
location of an item I was looking for.

One thing I have noticed is the papercrafting inventory seems to been getting smaller and the jewelry/bead working inventory is taking up more space. This is especially noticeable in the smallest Mike's. It also happens to be the one closests to me.

Last edited by Crafter 4 Life; 05-16-2010 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: add'l info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2010, 02:40 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Seems like my Mikes has expanded the MS punch selection which is fine with me!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2010, 02:54 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My small M's has moved everything around and were plenty of the new style EK punches. The stickers selection seems to have expanded, but I'm still disappointed in the paper pack selections.
The 2 Joann's near me are pretty worthless, so I'm not expecting them to expand anything!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2010, 03:45 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I just stopped in Mikes today, looking for a paint pen. Thought that was a pretty basic craft item. 3 laps and 2 employees later, I finally found them. I noticed that our Mikes (same as ACMoore) has one full aisle (two sides) dedicated to stickers. I can't tell you the last time I used a sticker in a craft, maybe 1988? They're just not for me. But yeah, that tells you how "current" their selection is. I used to LOVE Mrs. Grossman stickers... in 1981.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2010, 04:22 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

We still have the EK Success border punches in Geneva, IL.

They did revamp their scrapbooking section, to be more theme oriented. So they have a few rows now where there are stickers, chipboard, and other embellishments hanging above and patterned papers stacked below. It is all grouped by theme like Travel, Christmas, New Baby, Wedding, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2010, 05:11 PM   #11  
Forum Fanatic

Ours still carries them, though a few stules (the flip flops, the moon and stares, forget the other ones), were on clearance for $5.99 each I believe. Some of the Martha Stewart punches were on clearance too for $6.99, the ice cream cone, the rabbit, the skull and cross bones, an umbrella are the only ones I can remember off hand... and they were all dispersed with the non-clearance merchandise in the puches section or MS section, not pulled out. Our Mikes is an older one though, we usually get stuff 2 months after everyone else does.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2010, 10:06 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have three stores very close to me. They have ALL expanded their punch selection. MS has doubled in size and EK is not far behind...I love all the choices.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2010, 05:52 PM   #13  
CBC Giggle Girl

Mine still has them they are clearancing out some of the smaller ones but still have lots of the older border ones. However my JoAnns (even my teeny tiny store) has all the new EK punches so check out your J's ladies.

"Exercise is a dirty word. Everytime I hear it I wash my mouth out with chocolate." -Charles M. Shultz
Reply With Quote Likes