Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-16-2016, 02:12 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hang onto your equipment & supplies

I just got the Joann's Commotion sale mailer and unless I missed something there is not one paper craft item listed for the sale. There are a couple of 50% off coupons but no specific paper craft items on this sale.
It is all fabric, sewing notions and a little beading and yarn

We have all seen the reduction in inventory by the Big stores, but it appears paper crafting is no longer of interest to most of their customers .
Stores always offer a sale on products that will encourage people to visit their store.

Between the on-line retailers closing and the Big stores reducing their inventory We may find it difficult to buy supplies if this keeps up .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2016, 04:15 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

While I hear what you're saying, if I'm understanding most of the posters here on SCS correctly, we could just buy and sell each other's stashes for a long, long time before we run out of supplies, lol!

I hope that you're just "Chicken Little" and the sky's not really falling, though...

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2016, 04:31 PM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

My LSS is huge and doing fantastic business - people travel specifically to come to it. And Simon Says Stamp seems to be doing very well, so, all is not lost!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2016, 04:39 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Good thing my craft room is stocked. Enter then the stores. I am sure I am set for life. No shortages. Lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2016, 05:51 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I think what's happening is something a lot of retailers with physical stores not related to crafting are encountering too - more and more people are opting to order things online. The online selections tend to be better, and places like Amazon offer free 2-day shipping. The convenience of not having to drive or walk to a store while still having a lot of choices (plus occasional sales) has convinced a lot of customers to shop online.

So, I don't think it's necessarily an indicator of interest in paper crafting disappearing, but that the market is changing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2016, 10:20 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Their sale mailer had no paper crafting items but their website had lots of paper crafting items on sale. Michael's is my only local store and they're also in Reno along with JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby. But I rarely go even to the Michael's here since I haven't found any of the items on my lists the last 2-3 times I've gone. I use a cane and walking around is difficult and if I don't find what I want or need, it's a wasted trip for me as well as exhausting. I do 99% of my craft and other shopping online, with favorite places as well as Amazon and can get everything I want from online stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2016, 03:30 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

I'd just take it at face value that for this sale period, if you want paper crafting supplies from Joann's, you'll pay full price.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2016, 04:38 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I'm with Dina.

If you have stuff on sale week after week, people get blind to it. As a retailer you have to rotate the sales.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2016, 04:51 AM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I expect it is a bad snake eating it's own tail story....

For a long time now we have noted that box stores were not keeping up with new product. I know my Michael's has 4 year old + stamps. As I noted somewhere else, AI started selling online direct designs they said had been "exclusive" to the box stores-except I never saw those designs at mine! Well, I did see one-and got it-but it certainly did not have an "exclusive to us" sticker on it-a basic marketing tool. As an old retailer-that isnt just bad-it's flat out stupid. Exclusives can be huge sales drivers. (as SSS is demonstrating now with Stamptember) Whoever is the buyer for them imho really dropped the ball badly and sales showed it.

So our buying went down predictably. I think they saw that and decreased the depts...instead of getting on the boat and updating the inventory.

Also....product like paper takes up a lot of real estate and is what? 99 cents-2.50 full price? That's a real concern in retail. They would have to do a lot of volume to justify that space. i could think of a better display stand to take up less space but no one is asking me LOL.

Plus...if we all are using coupons to get whatever we do...that lowers their profit on the dept.

It's a shame really. I'll pop in if I am in the area but I dont go specifically anymore. The big driver for me was the Recollections paper and I just opened a new pack and see what people are talking about here...still says #110 and 300 gsm, but it is like half the weight of the old-I have old to compare to. :( I used it for base card stock and now have to find a new one. Too bad-that is a basic supply. And now my visits will go down even more.

I do see people in the store so hopefully it wont close with expensive NYC rents but I dont know what will happen to our dept over time.

My only suggestion is what it usually is-write the company. Retailers respond to customers. Dont bother telling store staff...I dont think the message really goes anywhere and just depresses them b/c it is beyond their control.

I am going to about the paper. I dont know how they are getting away with this but it isnt cool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2016, 08:38 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not worried about stamping supplies as the large city I live in hasn't had paper crafting supplies for several years now with the exception of very old and limited supplies at Hobby Lobby and Michaels. The last time I was in M's their papercrafting isle was down to one and most of it was their own brand products. Joann's was the last big box store here that had scrapbook, stamping supplies but they have mostly gotten rid of them. However, I have been stamping about 2 years and have done 99% of my buying online and to judge by how quickly products sell out I don't think we have to worry too much about the popularity. Stamping has survived the near demise of scrapbooking and has come out the other side stronger, imo. As a former scrapbooker you can tell when things are going down...and I could be wrong, but I think with the advent of new companies and online ordering, I think we will be okay for quite awhile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2016, 10:30 AM   #11  
Inking Addict

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to shop at Michaels weekly with a coupon, but their stock is so low now that it's useless. Their prices are also too high even with a discount coupon. So I shop online 99% of the time and also at a small local Scrapbooking store. The problem with online shopping from Canada is the value of our current low dollar and the high cost of shipping. I just know that if I want to get the items I like I have to pay the high prices. As an example I recently ordered some stamps and dies from a company I like and the total was $79.95 U.S. After shipping, exchange, taxes, clearance/duty the final cost to me was $190. So I paid double for two sets of stamps and three sets of dies. I have no doubt that lots of us are still shopping, but it does hurt my budget. I just can't buy as much as I'd like. International customers must all be feeling the pinch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2016, 01:21 PM   #12  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Interesting. In my area, we have Michaels, AC Moore, and Joann. Joann has not had much in the way of papercrafting for years. I remember being surprised at how much their online store had. I went by J today with a 60% off coupon. I was just going to get an extra Tombow mono dispenser for cheap. I also picked up a $2 embossing folder. When I checked out, she said the coupon didn't take. Everything I bought was on sale. It turned out the mono was on sale, but there wasn't a sign. That just frustrates me. I resisted the urge to just go looking for something to get at 60% off.
I feel like J concentrates on fabric and sewing, but M and ACM seem to have a good supply of papercrafting in my area.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2016, 01:22 PM   #13  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laura339View Post
I used to shop at Michaels weekly with a coupon, but their stock is so low now that it's useless. Their prices are also too high even with a discount coupon. So I shop online 99% of the time and also at a small local Scrapbooking store. The problem with online shopping from Canada is the value of our current low dollar and the high cost of shipping. I just know that if I want to get the items I like I have to pay the high prices. As an example I recently ordered some stamps and dies from a company I like and the total was $79.95 U.S. After shipping, exchange, taxes, clearance/duty the final cost to me was $190. So I paid double for two sets of stamps and three sets of dies. I have no doubt that lots of us are still shopping, but it does hurt my budget. I just can't buy as much as I'd like. International customers must all be feeling the pinch.

Ouch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2016, 01:35 PM   #14  
Inking Addict

I just realized my math wasn't very good here. Double the price would have been $160, and I ended up paying $190. So, more than double! Not too much I can do about the prices except watch for discount codes, lower shipping charges, etc. I watch lots of videos on card making and I want all the great supplies too, but still have a budget.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2016, 02:08 PM   #15  
Watercolor Wizard

Are there Canadian companies that you can buy from for more reasonable prices?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2016, 02:25 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
Interesting. In my area, we have Michaels, AC Moore, and Joann. Joann has not had much in the way of papercrafting for years. I remember being surprised at how much their online store had. I went by J today with a 60% off coupon. I was just going to get an extra Tombow mono dispenser for cheap. I also picked up a $2 embossing folder. When I checked out, she said the coupon didn't take. Everything I bought was on sale. It turned out the mono was on sale, but there wasn't a sign. That just frustrates me. I resisted the urge to just go looking for something to get at 60% off.
I feel like J concentrates on fabric and sewing, but M and ACM seem to have a good supply of papercrafting in my area.
As a very seasoned seamstress, I just wanted to jump in quick with a comment on the "concentration" on fabric: If you want to make anything with fleece, flannel, quilting cottons or special occasion fabrics, you're golden. Want to make a plaid skirt? SOL. Ditto on almost every normal, everyday type of apparel fabric. I've gone multiple times (especially when seasons change) to try to find fabrics that I can buy to make myself some clothes, always to no avail... Okay - back to the original topic!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2016, 02:52 PM   #17  
Inking Addict

Lynnewithane - I don't know of any Canadian companies, but I love the products from the U.S. - Altenew, SSS, Catherine Pooler, Lil Inkers, etc, etc. So I'm willing to pay the prices. The little scrapbooking store near me has just started stocking Altenew, but the prices are substantially higher, which is completely understandable. A set of four ink cubes on the Altenew website are $12.99 and I paid $20 at this store. Stampin Up products are a good deal and we pay in Canadian dollars. You might pay $55 or $57 for a bundle and we'll pay $66, so that's really not bad. I was just shocked at this recent purchase when I added it all up. It won't stop me from shopping, but I'll just have to budget accordingly. Back to the topic- I was buying one Copic marker a week at Michaels using a discount coupon, but they don't seem to have them in stock any more. Although I think there is a shortage of Copic markers everywhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2016, 06:24 PM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member

Laura that's crazy and hurts my bargain hunting heart...

There definitely ARE Canadian companies-I order from several of them.

Krafting Kimmie (has more than one artist and style-poke around)
Home - Kraftin Kimmie Stamps

Frog's Whiskers
https://www.frogswhiskersink.com/

Pointer-store with their own line called Dreamerland-very cute
Rubber Stamps, Card Making & Scrapbooking

Class Act
Class Act Stamping & Scrapbooking - Home

Designs by Ryn
DesignsByRyn :: Home

Emerald Creek
http://www.emeraldcreek.org/Default.asp

Heather's Haven-storefront with exclusive lines
Heather's Stamping Haven - Creative Stamping & Supplies in Eastern Ontario

The Old Island Stamp Company
The Old Island Stamp Company Store

Prarie Rubber Stamps
Home Prairie Rubber Stamp

Quietfire-home of my fav word dies-love their calligraphy
Quietfire Design

I dont know where you are-you might be close to some of them. And maybe other Canadians can suggest other places.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2016, 06:27 PM   #19  
Proud Fan Club Member

I sent Michaels an email today..I am not happy about the paper situation but while I was there, I cranked about a lot of things you all mentioned. Supposedly they will get back to me. I wont be holding my breath but I did what I could.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2016, 06:40 PM   #20  
Inking Addict

Thanks Wavejumper. Just had a quick look and there are some really nice stamps at Kraftin Kimmie. I've saved it and will look at the others. SCS is a great resource. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2016, 02:54 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd also say that that trend is happening over here too. I've noticed over the last 12 months or so, our only 'chain' hobby store, Hobbycrafts, has reduced the size of it's papercrafting area, and things like knitting/crochet/sewing and beading have increased. With the exception of the beading, I think that's a response to TV programmes like the Great British Sewing Bee and such like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2016, 05:14 AM   #22  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Usually I'm ticked off when I have a coupon and everything I want is on sale. Now at least I'll be able to use my coupons on things I want that aren't on sale.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2016, 06:02 AM   #23  
Proud Fan Club Member

Esp if the sale isnt as good as the coupon right Jenny?

I meant to say I agree with many...I have zero fear of not being able to get stuff....so much out there online. I do prefer to see it in person, esp paper, but that's the world.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2016, 09:42 AM   #24  
Inking Addict

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Laura -- my favorite Canadian online store is R & R Scrapbooking -- R & R SCRAPBOOKING This is now only for online ordering though Rhea does have the occasional "garage sales" where you can actually visit her home in Edmonton. I was at one last week and her basement is stuffed with products. Take a look at her website but be aware she has a lot more in stock, so just email or call to see if she has what you want. Also she has done special orders for me -- as long as she can get just one from her supplier or she sees value in ordering multiples. I think her prices are quite reasonable and she tries to minimize shipping costs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2016, 10:27 AM   #25  
Inking Addict

Thanks so much SherylH. I'm definitely saving this to my Favourites. Her prices look good and she has American products. Just can't quite figure out her shipping charges.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2016, 10:47 AM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

I read somewhere that CHA is changing the way the tradeshow has worked in the past; that each year they will be focusing on a different area of the craft world and that the next show will focus on fabric and sewing. I don't remember where I read this, but it was part of an article discussing the change in venue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2016, 02:28 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

I went to michaels last week just to look at the Halloween decorations, did not intend to mossy on over to the stamp area but I did. I was sorta impressed, lots of new clear stamp sets.

Wonder how long this will last. I worked there in 2012 for a year and a half. Stamps have been the same this whole time. Four years later they finally get contracts with new stamp companies, may have to due with dropping Martha. Everything was Martha, and you really Do Not want to know how I fell about that woman!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2016, 02:37 PM   #28  
Watercolor Wizard

I didn't know they were dropping her. Interesting.
Any reason behind it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2016, 02:55 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Don't know. Found this info on Micaels FBpage
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2016, 08:18 PM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

Stopped at Michaels yesterday and my local store recently remodeled. The paper crafting area is larger now, but mingled with the planners.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2016, 08:12 AM   #31  
Kookie Creator

I live way out in the countryside and can't drive on interstate since I have poor eye sight. No crafty shops near by. I have to buy online. Sometimes I want to go to the shops to see new stuff.
For me it is a treat to visit the stores to see stamps in person. I like to be able to see the stamps and then decide if I want to buy it then or online. I was in Asheville NC and went into a Joanns. No signs but stamps and other paper craft items were on sale. I only bought a set of cutting plates. I was able to see and drool over the Tim Holtz sets that I can't afford. Anyone else notice that the store price is lower then the website price? I was looking at a Hero Arts stamp n cut set, it was 12.99. I looked on website on my phone and it was listed at 17.99, bit diff in price. M's always a disappointment. I only went in since they had the recollections paper packs for $2 each. Beware M'(other stores do it) over charge all the time. Keep an eye open wide as each item is rung up. I think the clerk is chatty on purpose to make sure you don't notice the item is not showing correct price. Always check receipt before leaving store. I buy stuff from the buy/sale forum on SCS often.

Last edited by STYXROCKSME; 09-19-2016 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: additions
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2016, 10:15 AM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

as some others have said I have enough supplies to last me this life time, my next 10 reincarnations and some

Our Michaels here in Canada cut back on the paper craft products last year, Martha S is gone, they brought in a lot of their own Recollections line in what looked like a retro tie dye theme that tanked, and went on sale within a month. However, I have noticed they are started to add more stamps, I even got Tim Holt's crazy birds mini collection in there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2016, 01:31 PM   #33  
Proud Fan Club Member

Wow-well maybe I will take a look at my Michaels. Last time it was pathetic. Very old inventory, esp in wood stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2016, 04:33 PM   #34  
Kookie Creator

Suffer from "SELE"- stash exceeding life expectancy -LOL ;) We all like new stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2016, 08:31 PM   #35  
Insane Embellisher

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

Laura, another Canadian online store to check out scrapbookcafe.ca. I have ordered from her, prices are reasonable, and have never had a problem. Kristy has a new site and I always browse, popular items can sell out quickly but there is email info so you could always contact her to see if stock is being renewed. Not sure where in Canada you live, but perhaps there are LSS nearby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2016, 08:53 PM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

Your Next Stamp is a company based in Canada that has stamps and dies that are super cute.
Reply With Quote Likes