Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-22-2020, 04:57 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts
Default GRRRRRR

I was just cutting apart a brand new die set and one flew off into my desk
top. Of course it is covered with creative tools, papers etc. I moved everything off piece by piece but no little leaf die was to be found. Have you ever had a die take flight and found it? This makes me sad, I do not like incomplete sets of anything. Maybe I will find it when I least expect it.
Marcia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2020, 05:34 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have a super magnet, like from a stamp positioner?  You could use that to 'sweep' your space.  And it could have flown surprisingly far from where you think it went.  Ask me how I know ... 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2020, 07:01 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 862 Likes on 513 Posts

I hope you find it soon!  Stuff like that makes me crazy too, and I've had happen often.  That was a good suggestion by jeaniebean!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2020, 09:26 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Argh, this kind of thing keeps me up at night. I haven't lost a die yet, but have lost several tiny stamps from a set and it still drives me crazy years later. Just make sure you check the wastebasket thoroughly before emptying it...even if it seems too far away to have landed there. Good luck.
Karen 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2020, 09:28 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

This made me decide to cut any new die set apart inside of a deep box, so anything that flies off lands in the box. Just thinking about you losing a leaf die from you new set makes me sad.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2020, 11:15 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a telescoping magnetic wand and that has helped me many times to find the small dies that fly away when I'm cutting them apart.  I had one of these wands for years when I cross stitched and dropped needles and then got one for my craft room too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2020, 03:48 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

I recently lost and "e" from an alphabet die set and what can you spell without "e"?  I kept looking and looked until I found it.  There really is no other way, even though it feels like a time-stealer. Good luck on your search!
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2020, 05:00 AM   #8  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

How frustrating!  I'm by no means assuming everyone is a praying person but I have to share my story of a lost clear stamp.  I searched for a half hour, then sat down at my stamp desk chair in defeat.  I closed my eyes and said, "Well, God.  I can't find it and I'd really like to.  Please help me find it.  Please let me see it when I open my eyes.  Thank you for answering my prayer, God."  I gave a big sigh, opened my eyes and looked down to the right as I did so - and there was my stamp!  It was stuck to the corner of my score board, which was underneath my desk in a dark corner propped against some shelves.  That answer to prayer gave me goosebumps!
Keep searching and the tip to use a magnet is a great one.  I hope you find the die!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2020, 05:47 AM   #9  
Minglerville Blabber

Received 501 Likes on 304 Posts

I lost a die once and found it over a year later.  This was of course after many, many cleanings and vacuumings...  One day after cleaning again, it appeared on the floor.  I’m still not sure where it hid all of that time.
My Blog: Yellow and Blue

SU Creative Crew Design Team Member-May-August 2011
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2020, 06:44 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had this happen.  Now when I snip dies apart I cover them in a towel so the pieces can't go flying. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2020, 07:17 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Someone here on SCS had mentioned they use a shop bowl (like from the hardware store, metal bowl with a magnet underneath the bottom, magnetizes the whole bowl) next to their die cutting machine so when they are not using a die but will be later, they put it in the bowl for safe keeping.  I thought that was a great idea, but no such bowl at my local hardware store.  They did however have a set of four extra strong magnets.  I have a metal bowl at home I figured I could use, so got the magnets. Those suckers are so dang strong I can't pull them apart, and bend dies if they come in contact.  So they sit in the bottom of the bowl in their packaging.  They do the job and when I need to find an escapee, they work for that too. 
Love the telescoping magnet wand though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2020, 07:27 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Adding to my post above, the metal bowl to keep dies put while in the middle of a project works great.  Remembering to use said bowl ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2020, 02:13 PM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Don't throw out the trash. Really. I have no idea why but they can migrate there. Start a new bag. 
If there is anything else on the table that is magnetic check both sides of that. 
Also look at the bottoms of anything sitting on the table. Even if it is not magnetic. Baskets holding things etc. I am guessing you emptied your pen cup etc. 
It may have stuck to the bottom of your shoe and you carried it out of the room. Check them and where they are and you walked. Shake out the clothes you were wearing and check the floor where you were standing when you took them off. 
Good luck! Let us know if you find it! 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2020, 03:13 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Well ladies I have tried all your suggestions. Check shoes, clothes, floor  and my desk hasn't been this clean since I put it here.  I looked over into and under everything here and no little leaf die.  I will just have to resign myself to it may show up when I least expect it or it's just gone.   The upside I do have a nice clean workspace now but no leaf :(  I will be sure to let you all know if it ever turns up.
Marcia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2020, 04:48 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UGH Marcia -- I'm so sorry!  I HATE to lose things -- it makes me crazy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2020, 06:27 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I would Really like to buy a telescoping magnet want, but it appears they are mostly made in China on Amazon. Does anyone know a source for Made In USA?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2020, 09:11 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

123Stitch.com has one manufactured by Yarn Tree which is a USA company in Iowa but I don't know if it's manufactured there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2020, 10:26 AM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Oh darn Marcia! I am sorry to hear that! It did not disappear so you will find it. Try walking in bare feet. Maybe you will step on it....that would be typical for me....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2020, 05:51 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

My awol lostie was a small alphabet die 's'.  It was gone for weeks & weeks.  I had completely given up the search and "let it go".
But then one day, it was just right over there where it didn't belong at all, due no doubt to an amazing bounce off the floor or whatever!  Happy surprises can happen.   
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2020, 08:08 AM   #20  
Crimping Master

Marcia, have you found it yet? I was just now reading this thread and thinking maybe it fell into a cuff on a sleeve, or a pocket, or stuck to knit pants, or some other such situation. How small was/is that little leaf? It will surely turn up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2020, 08:11 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

As I was cleaning my alpha stamps in the sink, a while back, a slippery little R went right down the drain!  SO ANNOYING!  I have now learned to clean in a bowl. On the counter.  
It is interesting how we do find things when we least expect it.  Thinking of my jade pendant lost many years ago.  We really thought we'd find it when we moved...nope. Gone.Forever. Sad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2020, 08:11 AM   #22  
Glitter Queen

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Happens to me all the time. Still haven’t found the next-to-smallest circle from my Hero Arts set of circle dies which flew off my die cut machine, along with e circle it cut, to gosh knows where!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2020, 08:12 AM   #23  
Cardstock Collector

Default Been there!!!

This has happened to me so many times. I am sorry :(. My advice is to contact the company directly and ask if they might have an extra they could send. I’ve done this for a customer before as I keep a couple of extra sets of our products for just in case moments like this.

I had the same issue of the shop bowls bending my dies. We just came out with a magnetic bowl, the Trinity Stamps Bartender. We had them made for us from a small husband and wife 3-d printing business. They are great for little pieces and it’s cute too (because that matters too right? LOL)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2020, 08:14 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Marcia, I feel your pain!  I've had pretty good luck with dies, but I have had some bad luck with stamps, especially the clear ones.  I must have complete stamp sets and if I lose one stamp, I must purchase the entire set again.  That means going on ebay, if Stampin' Up! is no longer offering the stamp set.  I decided to keep a tally of how much money I've spent, in having to buy new stamp sets again, just because I lost one stamp (on the floor, of course).  So far, I've spent $57.00.  So, I totally understand.  I hope you find that die.  I know how frustrating it is.  Good luck.  :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2020, 08:15 AM   #25  
Glitter Queen

Default My crazy story

I have a laptop table that I had rolled next to the bed, I was also using the label maker, which has a plug in, plus one of the Mighty Lites that plugs in.
One day, I couldn't find my glasses. What the heck? Sometimes I drop stuff in the bed rail, which sticks out way too far. After two days of searching high and low, I happened to look down and the ear piece to my glasses had landed perfectly between the cords close to the wall socket and since it was the same color as the cords, very hard to see, especially in my current state. 
Hubby and I still laugh about it. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2020, 08:17 AM   #26  
Cardstock Collector

Default Where oh where can it be?

My latest loss is one of the small, circular magnets typically used in a Misti Stamp positioner.  I had just removed it from the positioner and set it on my desk only to hear it "fly" from where I put it.  I heard it make contact to another metal surface or, possibly, another magnet.  However, I have looked everywhere (lamp bases, light poles, metal rulers, my other Misti magnets) to no avail.  I cannot imagine where it is hiding.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2020, 08:18 AM   #27  
Cardstock Collector

Also, check the backs of your stamp positioner or any thing that has a built in magnetic surface. I’ve found dies stuck to the backs of my Misti and my scor board.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2020, 08:21 AM   #28  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Disappearing dies

Been there, done that 🙄. Recently lost the letter “S” from an alphabet set. Did the same as you - picked up every scrap of paper, went through the garbage - nothing! That night, went to take my watch off. It has a magnetic clasp and you guessed it - there was the elusive “S” stuck to my watch band 😂😂😂.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2020, 08:34 AM   #29  
Cardstock Collector

Heart I feel your pain

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbbysGrammyView Post
I was just cutting apart a brand new die set and one flew off into my desktop. Of course it is covered with creative tools, papers etc. I moved everything off piece by piece but no little leaf die was to be found. Have you ever had a die take flight and found it? This makes me sad, I do not like incomplete sets of anything. Maybe I will find it when I least expect it.Marcia
Not only have I done this-- but I was so frustrated that I bought another die set-- andyoiu know I found that wee mushroom  AFTER the new set arrived!! I have since bought a Brother Scan and Cut and now I don't even need the dies. ARGHH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2020, 08:37 AM   #30  
Cardstock Collector

I have a grabber and it has a magnet on the end so it is perfect for picking up not only scraps etc but the metal dies.  I’m 83 so harder to get down to pick up things.  It was very inexpensive think I got from Amazon.  I absolutely know how frustrating it can be.  Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2020, 08:48 AM   #31  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

I had some of the neodymium magnets on my desk waiting to be put away when I had a small die fly off the desk. I taped the magnets to the bottom of a yardstick (I have LOTS of yardsticks- I take a free one anytime they're giving them away), and swept it around under the desk. I could actually hear the "click" when it captured the die. Now that's my version of the magnetic grabber. Anytime I drop a die, I run the stick around under the desk until I hear the click, and I've caught another runaway!
It's also cheaper than a grabber, I am Queen of the Cheapettes.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2020, 08:51 AM   #32  
Minglerville Blabber

Received 501 Likes on 304 Posts

If your table has any metal look there too.  Even underneath.  The bottom of the table.
My Blog: Yellow and Blue

SU Creative Crew Design Team Member-May-August 2011
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2020, 08:57 AM   #33  
rdm
Mad Swapper

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I lost a primary shape to a die set once while making Christmas cards and could not find it  for the life of me; I put everything away as I went along in my search.  That night I dreamt it was in my Misti; when I got up in the morning I pulled my Misti out... it wasn't IN the Misti but was stuck to the UNDERSIDE of my Misti.  I hope you find your AWOL die piece... it's there, somewhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2020, 09:14 AM   #34  
Cardstock Collector

Default MIA Die

If the room is carpeted try looking along the base board where the carpet meets. Being that small and the way dies walk it is always possible to be wedge in the crease. I am missing a tiny stamp now for 2 years and still have not found that little devil. wish you all the luck. 
Also, do you have a lamp that is open in the top of the cover that it could have hopped in there. Yeah I even checked mine for the stamp I lost. Really dislike having anything not complete as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2020, 09:22 AM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post
Argh, this kind of thing keeps me up at night. I haven't lost a die yet, but have lost several tiny stamps from a set and it still drives me crazy years later. Just make sure you check the wastebasket thoroughly before emptying it...even if it seems too far away to have landed there. Good luck.
Karen 
I realized yesterday that I was missing three tiny stamps from a set - thought to look in the garbage sack by my work station - there they were wrapped up to dry in a paper towel.  I think I just hurry too much too often!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2020, 09:30 AM   #36  
Matboard Maniac

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniebean55View Post
Someone here on SCS had mentioned they use a shop bowl (like from the hardware store, metal bowl with a magnet underneath the bottom, magnetizes the whole bowl) next to their die cutting machine so when they are not using a die but will be later, they put it in the bowl for safe keeping.  I thought that was a great idea, but no such bowl at my local hardware store.
Jeanie, you might be able to find something like that at a good-sized automotive supply, but if not, Harbor Freight carries them in two sizes, 4" and 6" -- https://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-magnetic-parts-tray-90566.html
Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
] I would Really like to buy a telescoping magnet want, but it appears
they are mostly made in China on Amazon. Does anyone know a source for
Made In USA?
I doubt you'll find anything like that made in the U.S. This is the one I use and it's amazing what it's come up with in my studio! https://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty-magnetic-pickup-tool-42288.html
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2020, 10:12 AM   #37  
Glitter Queen

Default Lost die

Check your cats' mouths !

QUOTE=AbbysGrammy;21988281]I was just cutting apart a brand new die set and one flew off into my desk
top. Of course it is covered with creative tools, papers etc. I moved everything off piece by piece but no little leaf die was to be found. Have you ever had a die take flight and found it? This makes me sad, I do not like incomplete sets of anything. Maybe I will find it when I least expect it.
Marcia [/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2020, 10:12 AM   #38  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by khoganView Post
I've had this happen.  Now when I snip dies apart I cover them in a towel so the pieces can't go flying. 
That's exactly how I do mine as well, I use a Swiller sweeper cloth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2020, 10:19 AM   #39  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

The magnet idea worked well when I spilled the 2000 brads I was gifted onto a hardwood floor while OCD me was sorting them by color and size.  No matter how many times I've cleaned and moved the furniture, once in a while one of those little devils appear.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2020, 11:24 AM   #40  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

A few years ago, I lost a small flower die from a set.  I searched my desk & the floor but could not find it, so I bought another set because I really wanted that flower die!
When I packed up my art studio to move, I found the die - it had landed under the desk & was laying against the wall molding. 
Reply With Quote Likes