Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-11-2010, 11:34 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Gone and Done It...

*Gasp!* I've gone and done it! I've placed the biggest online order in my life!! I bought $71 of stamps and dies at My Favorite Things online store!!!! I am so Excited & happy I really am! I bought:

Banner Die
Open Scallop Border
PI - Being Cute Is What I Do
PI - Blooming Good Day
Punny Farm
Goodness From the Garden
Harvesting WTG
Fred the Bear "Goes Camping"

I really wanted to add the Baby Bump set with the Baby Bump Additions too, but I couldn't do it.

But I have a problem, I'm kinda sick I spent so much while many people don't have that much money these days... I feel pretty guilty (you know that Miranda Lambert song "Guilty in Here" - just the title pertains - My husband doesn't even know ..yeesh. He said we had enough money to get some stamps, but I don't think he thought I would spend so much.. I hope he enjoys the fruits of it all later

Have any of you had this happen? Feel guilt after a large order? Not buyers remorse, but the excitement of getting all the goodies, and yet a little guilt for the splurge?

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 12:16 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a few times, but by the time my goodies arrive I have forgotten all about my guilt and start playing, $71 is not really that much, considering all that you ordered. As long as you are able to pay the bills, put food on the table, and put a little aside for savings splerging every now and then can be theriputic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 12:28 PM   #3  
RHS
Rubber Obsessor

Actually, that's about the average order each month. The first one is the hardest to rationalize but after that - hey, no problem. Like the poster before said, as long as you have the money and don't do hungry, naked or without a roof - go for it and no guilt.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 12:32 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Isn't it funny that we all have those price points that, once crossed, we consider it expensive/wasteful/too much/etc?

For me, it's about $100. I can justify most hobby expenses up to $100, but after that I have to think good and hard about it. I once placed an almost $300 order with Joanns. I waffled for days about it, adding things and removing things from my cart. But, it was just after tax time and I had some cash I wanted to spend on myself as a treat.

I figure that as long as your bills are paid, and your family won't be harmed by you spending the money, go for it. All the better if it's paid in cash or on a debit card and you're not running up credit card debt.

That's my rule -- no more credit cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 12:38 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

You go girl! I'm trying to justify a SU $ 160 order I want - we will know after payday friday
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 12:56 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

My first SU! party was a $500 show BEFORE my guests orders and host order. My first PTI order was over $100 and I can spend $100 in any given Joann's or Micheals visit if I don't give myself a reality check. I wish I felt real guilt for spending $71 on a single order. Of course, I think I have shopping addiciton and this craft doesn't help with that...

Anyway, as long as you are using cash, your bills are paid and you don't your self get in my boat.. You should be fine. Besides, It sounds like you got a good bang for your buck! Enjoy your splurge!

Really, don't get in my boat though..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 02:15 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Whew. I know this is going to sound rude, but I don't mean it to be, but I'm glad I'm not the only one this happens to I am ok with anything up to $50, but anything after that amount I feel sick and I panic a bit

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 02:25 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Good for you...! You deserve it...!
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 04:26 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by havonfamilyView Post
Whew. I know this is going to sound rude, but I don't mean it to be, but I'm glad I'm not the only one this happens to I am ok with anything up to $50, but anything after that amount I feel sick and I panic a bit
Why would that be rude?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 04:30 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Sometimes, I worry about spending so much when others can't. But, yesterday on the news, they were reporting that economists were worried because consumers aren't sepnding like they used to!! I figure, I'm doing my part to support an economic upswing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 05:39 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Hi Princessmeshell I was feeling bad about being happy about others having the same problem so I wouldn't feel bad about being the only one with a spending issue ;) I am a person who wishes no ill will on anyone

I do have a "price point" and it's about only $50 as you can see. But in my online carts you will se up toaround $80-$100!! LOL! I may want them but I just can't pull the trigger, so to speak. It took me a week to dump out, replace and rethink every item I bought, today! I want it all at once! I guess I've learned that I'm an all-or-nothing buyer- LOL!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 07:12 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Havonefamily- I think it is normal to breathe a sigh of relief when you realize that others are where you are too. I don't think it is rude to say so. That is just me though. I really hope you enjoy your new toys when you get them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 08:37 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Thank you Princessmeshelle, I just didn't want to offend But I feel better now, thank you

I'm pretty excited about my new "toys" too! Although I'm still rethinking my choices, wishing I had bought more ;) LOL

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 08:55 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

I'm glad you are excited! A little splurge when you can afford it is good. Just don't get into my boat of too much splurging.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 03:07 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

I must be really bad, my price point is much higher than $50.00. Especially if it's a sale. I love sales.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 05:58 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjl-nyView Post
Sometimes, I worry about spending so much when others can't. But, yesterday on the news, they were reporting that economists were worried because consumers aren't sepnding like they used to!! I figure, I'm doing my part to support an economic upswing.
Guess I'm doing my part, too! hehe

Quote:

Originally Posted by RHSView Post
Like the poster before said, as long as you have the money and don't do hungry, naked or without a roof - go for it and no guilt.
Read this and immediately giggled at the thought of people stamping naked! LOLOLOL!!

But seriously (giggle*snort), I do the bit where I fill up the online shopping cart with dream items, too, but I have to convince myself that I'll use a stamp set multiple times or it is a tool I will use instead of play with once and then let collect dust. I also resist as much DP as possible, since I know if I start buying some, I'll end up buying it all and will have to organize and store it, let alone thinking of ways I could use it! I still don't have a Big Shot or Cuttlebug or the sticker making thing or any of those fancy shmancy things cause I have SERIOUS spender's remorse if I spend that much on a single item for my hobby. Once I get a job, that may change a bit, but until then I feel guilty when I think of a Big Shot or a couple new pairs of shoes or winter coats for the kids (luckily, our money situation isn't that dire, but it's a money guilt thing my mom instilled in me... thanks, Mom!).

Back to the giggling about naked stamping!! *snort*

I have CDO. It's like OCD, except all the letters are in order like they should be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 08:36 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh wow...I am way doing my part on the economy issue...and there is a new Hobby Lobby opening here in a couple weeks...I will probably dump a boatload of $$$ there..my two sisters and I are so excited!
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 04:55 PM   #18  
Splitcoast DirtyDozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As has been mentioned a couple of times -- if your bills are paid, you have enough food on your table, and you're not running up a credit card bill, I don't think you should feel the least bit guilty. I think crafters are helping to keep the economy going!!! When I'm ordering on-line, I like to know the point at which there is free shipping. That is usually what makes me decide how much I can spend. If free shipping starts at $75 and I have about $65.00 in my cart, I'll add a couple of things to get me over the $75. That way all my money is going to items rather than shipping.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

As long as your family can afford it, feel excited, not guilty. Stampin' Up! has received all of my fun money this month. The way I look at it, we're supporting a small, US business, which is much more than our own government is doing right now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2010, 05:55 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

LOL I want to thank you all for easing my fears, Ladies! I was over the regret of spending it, but still worried that the stamp splurge was "tainted" with my regret But now I'm finally letting myself get really and truely excited about the goodies!! In fact I'm wishing I had spent more! LOL You really helped pull me out of my funk

I DO make sure all the bills are paid at the end of the pay period, but when I'm ready to place an order, something always comes up, so we need the money I would've spent on scrap stuff. So I guess, I'm worried that something will come up and I'll feel bad that I already spent the money we would've had/needed. You know what I mean?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2010, 06:55 AM   #21  
Forum Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 19 Posts

It's always woulda-shoulda-coulda but sometimes you just need to have a little retail therapy. Enjoy your purchases and don't look back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2010, 07:16 AM   #22  
Inking Addict

I've spent double that in one shot on Sizzix dies and I didn't feel quilty at all. As long as your bills are paid and your kids are fed and clothed, you should be able to spend your money on whatever you want. I have a part time job to pay for my habit so my hubby doesn't care what I spend on crafts. I don't smoke, drink, do drunks, go to the movies or buy expensive clothes so crafts are my only vice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2010, 08:16 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

oops, I'm trying to spell "Style" not Styke!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2010, 04:18 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I received my order of MFT stamps!!!! (* Doing the Happy Dance *)
I LOVE them!!! I wish I had ordered more, but hey, we all have a price point. I really love my PI "Being Cute is What I Do"! I was a little unsure of how I would like them, since I'm not a fan of little kid images. But I'm happy to say, the stamp is really cute and I love it!!

I am so happy with my stamps, that I actually broke a rule and order some stamps from Flourishes!! EEK! I have a rule, that I only order once a month from anywhere, no matter what..... But rules can be broken My order shipped out yesterday afternoon!! Yeay!!!

Am I bad or what?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2010, 06:02 AM   #26  
Inking Addict

Ha, rules. I have rules too which were usually New Year's resolutions. I set a limit of how much I could spend a month and also I'm not supposed to order if I have an order in the works and it hasn't arrived yet. I think I broke those rules in February. I just can't pass up a good sale. Although, I will compensate. If I go crazy one month (which I have done many times) then the next month I usually delete e-mail sales before I even read them and hide my charge cards so I'm not tempted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2010, 06:11 AM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by havonfamilyView Post
*Gasp!* I've gone and done it! I've placed the biggest online order in my life!! I bought $71 of stamps and dies at My Favorite Things online store!!!! I am so Excited & happy
Good for you! Have a little fun. If $71 sounds like a lot now, give it time. That mental threshold that each of us has for herself (the line above which we will not spend) is made out of rubber, at least that's what I've found with myself and observed in others. By rubber, I mean that it stretches. $71 seems like a lot to you know, but the threshold has a strong propensity to increase till you think $71? That's nothing!
Reply With Quote Likes