Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-06-2005, 09:37 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to Rockford/ Schamberg where should I go?

Hi-- saw another thread about a trip to IL and thought I'd ask for another 2 cents about it. I am going to see John Mellencamp in Rockford this weekend with Mycattracks, also on SCS. We're staying with our cousin and she has a shopping event planned-- where should we go?? We're not limited to stamping stores only....

Robin

Please follow my blog.... I am typing into cyberspace! www.centsablesaving.blogspot.com
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 09:51 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

By all means have her take you to The Goose Barn and to Rockton, there is a great stamp store up there (can't remember the name). Lots of great stamps, papers, ideas, etc. There is also a scrapbooking store on Riverside Blvd. mainly all for scrapping but great papers and embelishments. Have fun!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 10:50 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

There is also another scrapbook store in the same strip mall that Michael's is in. I am from Rockford and when I moved they didn't have those stores. It is on East State Street, business 20.

I have heard the Goosebarn is a must see.

The big mall just off of I-90 has a good selection of stores. East State Street would be your next best bet to get a good variety without doing a lot of driving.

As far as Schaumburg I love the woodfield area. The mall and all the strip malls are great. And my personal favorite is Ikea.

Hope you enjoy the concert. Is is at the Metro centre or the Cornado theatre? I have seen many at both and they both have good qualities.
SCS #11408
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 11:01 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

The Goose Barn has some pretty crazy hours so I'd try to find their phone number and call ahead. The store in the Michaels strip mall is called Memory Book Lane - I used to go there all the time when I lived in Rockford. We were there for two years and I was never able to make it into the Goose Barn - they close on a whim and won't open no matter how much you whine I tried! I heard it's really cool though! Have a great time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 11:05 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Definitely go to IKEA - you can always find something there to stamp on or some neat storage, organizational stuff.

There's a Hobby Lobby in the area. There's another scrapbook store nearby too. I don't remember the name, but I found it in the phone book and got directions from the front desk. There's a Dick Blick not too far from IKEA either.

If you feel like a little driving, Niles has the Fibre Craft outlet where you can get clearanced out stuff. Last time I was there they had some Sizzix stuff. See this post about Fibre Craft.
previous Fibre Craft Thread

SCS just keeps getting better and better!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 11:11 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

There's also The container Store. I purchased some great storage boxes for 12x12 paper. Here's a link to that item: http://www.containerstore.com/browse...1857&CATID=231

I called ahead before I went and asked them to hold 10 of them for me. They hold items for 24-48 hours. They were very nice and helpful on the phone.

SCS just keeps getting better and better!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 11:15 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Hey Wendy-o,

What's a "Dick Blick?" Sorry, I live between Rockford and Schaumburg and I never heard of it

TIA :lol:

We must be the change we want to see in the world.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 11:24 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

The Goose Barn is open from 10-5 on Saturday. Located on Charles Street.

Rubber Stamp Rendezvous is the store up in Rockton/Roscoe. They are also open on Saturday.

Captured Moments is the store on Riverside Blvd.

Memorybook Lane is located on State Street (right by Kohl's).

Michael's is also located in the same strip mall as Memorybook Lane and Kohl's.

Hobby Lobby is across the street from Memorybook (next to Old Navy).

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 11:26 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ahhh....my stomping grounds.....

Okay.....here are a few sights in Rockford:

The store on Riverside Boulevard is called Captured Moments Scrapbook Superstore. If you exit Riverside Blvd. from I-90, it will be on the L side of the road, approx. 1 to 1 1/4 mile from the tollway (depending upon from which direction you exited the tollway.) It will be in the first strip mall *past* the Culver's Ice Cream on the Left; once you pass Culver's, turn on your L signal and slow down! [If you're coming from Alpine Road, it will be approximately 2.5 miles east of Alpine on the right side.]

The store in Rockton is a *great* rubber stamp store; Rubber Stamp Rendezvous. However, I am originally from that area and can tell you from experience: unless you know exactly where you are going, it is *very convoluted* route to get there! If you are adventurous, however, LMK and I'll post the directions.

I just *love* the Border's Bookstore...but I'm a sucker for *any* bookstore! That is at the corner of Perryville Road and East State Street.

If you're on East State Street, there are a great Marshall's and a great TJ Maxx. Also in that strip mall is the Michael's. There is another scrapbook store in there called Memorybook Lane but be careful: their stores in Naperville and Wheaton just went out of business and they are overrun with really *old* merchandise right now. Good news: if you're not picky, the prices on the older stuff are really good.

Now for Schaumburg:

I'm always a sucker for anything outlet: Thus, Filene's Basement, Nordstrom Rack, Marshall's, TJ Maxx....can't ever go wrong. *LOVE* The Container Store! Also a big fan of the Land's End Outlet store. All of these stores are in the 1800 block of Golf Road, directly across from Woodfield Mall. To get there, exit I-90 onto IL-53 south. Get into the *far right* lane ASAP and look to exit at the Woodfield/Golf Rd. Come down the exit, stay to your *left*. Turn L at the light, go underneat the overpass, turn L at the next light. *STAY OFF* of the ramp, that will just put you on to IL-53 north!! Stay in either of the two lanes until the next stop light and turn *LEFT*; you are now on Golf Road. There are three lanes of traffic: middle is safe if you're just scouting. If you want woodfield, go 3 lights, then turn *left*. If you want the stores at the beginning of this paragraph, go 3 lights, then turn *right*.

email me if you have any questions. Enjoy the concert!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 11:30 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Hey, I can help on this one. I live in Rockford. The Goosebarn is awesome but wierd hours - here's the #815-397-9391. The scrapbook store on Riverside is a great scrapbooking store not many "stamper" type things. The store on East State by Michael's was called "Memory Book Lane". I was in there a couple of weeks ago and everything was off the walls and in disarray- it was bare bones. I didn't have time to ask if they were going under new ownership or what.

If you need any other "Rockford" advise - you can email me and I'll try and help you out. Hope you enjoy the concert!

~Addicted to Stampin' and Proud of It~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 11:36 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugga66
Hey Wendy-o, What's a "Dick Blick?" Sorry, I live between Rockford and Schaumburg and I never heard of it TIA :lol:
It's a *great* artist supply store. Great place to go to find Gamsol, Gum Arabic...all of those wonderful little *toys* that HL & M's never seem to understand what we're talking about! If you head that way: take Golf Road to the north side of Woodfield, you'll be able to see it clearly from the road. It is *directly* across the road from Joe's Crab Shack. ~ K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 11:40 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Wow we are going to have a great weekend :!: For the person who wanted to know where the concet is,, it's at the metro center we are in section 120 row I. Does anyone who has been in the metro center know how good the seats are? I went to the seating chart on the web site but you can't really tell KWIM?
member #1989

if you don't talk to your cat about catnip who will?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 12:01 PM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

I can't help you with the area, but we just saw Mellencamp on Saturday night in Fargo and he was FABULOUS. We saw him a few years ago and by far, this was a better concert. My dh is a bigger fan, but I loved it too. Have a great time.

Amy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 12:07 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

the last time we saw Mellencamp it was just a few weeks after our dad pased away, so even though it was a great concert then this time will be much greater
member #1989

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 12:08 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Swapper of the Month November 2012

Received 205 Likes on 158 Posts

Janesville, WI has 2 great stamping stores...Crackerbox Palace on Court st. has 10 great make-n-takes this weekend for $1 a piece. The other store 9s both scrap & stamp & is off of Milton Ave. You should be able to addresses off of Yahoo Yellow pages....the make-n-take are all day Sat & Sun & you can do any # of cards...don't have to do alll...you pick & choose. The Rockton store is great too...I personally think the Goose Barn is overpriced & very cluttered.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 12:14 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

parknslide great info on the make & takes, what luck to have something like that happening when we will be through that area :!: Also thanks to everyone for all the good shopping tips :!:
member #1989

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 11:56 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Swapper of the Month November 2012

Received 205 Likes on 158 Posts

I had to get to work so couldn't go into detail about the make & takes at the Crackerbox Palace...but she has them the 2nd & 4th weekend of every month...the store is in a residential area & she owns the house next door that is set up for the make & takes...also a free make & take is available in the store. There is usually a technique card, a masculine card, a different fold, a not a card category & some seasonal cards as well as an easy card. The other store I spoke about in Janesville is on HWY 14...also they have a Joanns & Michaels & Big Lots also has some great finds.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2005, 02:52 AM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

Default Rockford store

For a non-stamping stores, I would go to Crimson Ridge (right at State Street and Perryville). Lots of cool things - jewelery, purses, home decor, etc. It's great!!
Reply With Quote Likes