Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-25-2005, 04:42 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glossy paper

I have a customer interested in the glossy paper. I used it once with her for crayon resist. She has been to all my classes since day one and loves everything. She is interested in the glossy paper "if I can find enough to do with it"- so I am asking whatelse can I do with glossy paper??

I have crayon resist, polished stone, wax paper technique, and using the brayer- now what else????

wandabing
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2005, 04:50 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I haven't used it yet (I actually ordered a pack for the first time), but I read somewhere on SCS that you can use the VersaMark pad to stamp your images onto Glossy White and then roll your brayer over the entire page for another resist technique !!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2005, 05:11 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

VersaMark pad to stamp your images onto Glossy White and then roll your brayer over the entire page for another resist technique !!! [/quote]

That really works and it is cute. I use the alcohol cotton ball and put reinker drops on it and dab it on my stamp then I stamp on the glossy CS. It looks really pretty. Kind of tye-dyed. I also stamp the goldfish bowl from little hellos on there and use crystal effects on it. It looks way better than on plain CS, makes it a little more fish tanky.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2005, 05:54 PM   #4  
PAPER SCAPER

With these supplies and following the simple directions you can make a colorful background:

Glossy card stock
Clear stiff plastic or maybe glass would work okay.
Put drops of re inkers on the plastic but nowhere near touching so they can spread.
Coveran area about the size of your cardstock piece staying in from the edge to allow for spreading. Use lots of colors. I placed a like size piece under the plastic as a guide.
Place your glossy cardstock face down into the ink and press. If you need more coverage just keep working at it until it’s done to your liking.

It makes the most colorful background. And I’d heard of this but hadn’t tried it on glossy until I spilled some ink a couple days ago and didn’t want to waste it. Figured now is a good time to try that technique that I don’t know the name of. If you need better directions let me know.

You can also buy a clear resist stamp pad at many of the craft or stamp stores and use it the same way you would the versa mark with the brayer. I have one and really like the results. It's a black and white case by Ranger.

I also use the watercolor crayons with the water wand on glossy and embossing the image and it comes out like a water color painting. Also try the water wand with the stamp pad ink and see if you like those results. I prefer the crayons myself.

Rox
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2005, 06:01 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Shaving cream background!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2005, 06:06 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a link to a bubble-bath holder I did using the re-inkers with dish soap. HAS to be done on glossy.

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2005, 06:40 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

I usually think of glossy just for special techniques, but under the "martini glass" post's someone posted a very cute card and the base was stamped on glossy, and it was so cute. I will have to start using it once in a while instead of us white.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2005, 07:05 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

This is simple, but glossy paper really looks good just stamped with basic black and then colored in with markers. It shows marker lines less than US white or any non-glossy paper. Plus it just looks fancier and dressier. Almost don't need embellishments if you use glossy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2005, 07:16 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

How about just plain old stampin' on it? Everything looks so much fancier when it's stamped on glossy cs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2005, 07:16 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

I agree. The markers' colors turn up really bold on glossy paper. So, it's great when you want to color in the design with markers, but it also works nicely when you use the markers directly onto the stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2005, 07:30 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

The rubber cement technique is done on glossy as well and the rolling marble can be done on it [yes, I messed up and it came out ok!] Be careful to let it dry before you touch it, though.

HTH,

Mo

Monica Stockton SCS #2687
Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
Alexandria, VA

www.monicastockton.stampinup.net
www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/skpupy68
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2005, 07:30 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

How about drunken chalks and rubber cemment resist?
I also did a card and sponged on blotches of color for the background. It turned out a lot more vivid because I used the glossy c/s.

I also saw a really neat card that a friend of mine did at my uplines work-shop. It was with the fishy friends fish. They brayered on glossy cardstock with the foam brayer in blue. They had put rubber bands around the foam to indent it at places. Then they stamped the fish and attatched it with dimensionals. It looked as if the fish were swimming through waves. It was really neat!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2005, 08:04 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Good Gracious! my gals were buying it from me after I showed them just one technique with it... and they are not easy spenders...
(it was polished stone)
But we've done all of the others over the months, so it is super versatile and I still can't believe the price for it, its so good!
One other technique, a friend showed me and we did a card night of is the candle soot with staz on stamped images - you just have to be so careful of your fingerprints.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2005, 09:11 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

This post really made me laugh!!! When I started with SU 11 years ago the only paper we really ever used was glossy!! It was funny to think that is not used to the extent it was then. I used to buy it buy the ream!! I still have plenty and haven't bought it in years because I still have plenty. A few of techniques not mentioned were Joseph's Coat Technique, Spectrum pads and I love to emboss an open image stamp and then use markers to fill it in.
I have even used it in my scrapbooking. I needed a water page and I only had the bubbles stamp. (SU used to sell just tiny stamps all by themselves!)
I used the versamark and the Blue Frost Kaliedacolor( now they are called spectrum). It turned out to be one of my very favorite pages. I still get asked how did you do that? When using glossy to scrapbook with be sure that your pictures do not touch the glossy cardstock, as is is not totally acid free. Just mount your pictures on acid free cardstock and your pictures will be fine!!
Just good luck and have fun with glossy cardstock!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2005, 10:21 AM   #15  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by leney
This post really made me laugh!!! When I started with SU 11 years ago the only paper we really ever used was glossy!! It was funny to think that is not used to the extent it was then. I used to buy it buy the ream!! I still have plenty and haven't bought it in years because I still have plenty. A few of techniques not mentioned were Joseph's Coat Technique, Spectrum pads and I love to emboss an open image stamp and then use markers to fill it in.
I have even used it in my scrapbooking. I needed a water page and I only had the bubbles stamp. (SU used to sell just tiny stamps all by themselves!)
I used the versamark and the Blue Frost Kaliedacolor( now they are called spectrum). It turned out to be one of my very favorite pages. I still get asked how did you do that? When using glossy to scrapbook with be sure that your pictures do not touch the glossy cardstock, as is is not totally acid free. Just mount your pictures on acid free cardstock and your pictures will be fine!!
Just good luck and have fun with glossy cardstock!!
Can you still get it this way? I'm assuming it's not sold by SU! that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2005, 12:33 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

No, is not sold buy SU this way. As I said that was a long time ago. I got from a place called Expedex. It is a business, party and printer's supply place. The last time I got it I think I paid 18.00 a ream. I believe that now the price is much higher maybe $27.00 or so. It is called King James Cast Coat.
I have also heard it called kromecoat. It also comes in different weights like cardstock. I also buy my envelopes there. I think I paid 16.00 for 250. Expedex found about scrapbookers and stampers and they also carry the basic supplies for them. They have made up their own reams of 12X12 multi colored cardstock and also the 8 1/2 X 11. They have candles, too!
Whenever DH needs packing peanuts and boxes I always go along to see what's new!! I have also found the naturals cardstock that SU carries. SU cardstock is one thing I don't really push because you can find cardstock on almost every corner!! SU cardstock is the best but I'd rather focus on stuff that you just can't get anywhere else!
Reply With Quote Likes