Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-08-2008, 02:35 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glitter

any one hear of using art glitter with stencils and sticky paper where do you get sticky paper any examples
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2008, 03:53 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I remember using the sticky paper and glitter at my LSS - Ink About It in Westford, MA. I don't have any pictures in my gallery, but I remember it was fun and we made some beautiful cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2008, 04:30 AM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've heard of using a stencil with paste and then sprinkling the glitter over the paste. It's really pretty. never heard of sticky paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2008, 05:59 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

You can use the wide packing tape. The glitter sticks better than with paste.

I wore Red Panties, now I wear white!!
Don't mess with Old People!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2008, 06:23 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I was recently at a stamp and scrapbook show and they were demonstrating this technique. The demo was using sticky paper used to cover lampshades. I didn't ask where she got it but I imagine you might find it near lamps or the shades at home improvement stores or even Hobby Lobby or Michaels. Sorry I can't be more specific!
#24 Fan!
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2008, 06:54 AM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I use JAC paper from Dreamweaver. Its sticky on both side and works great for embossing paste, glitter, and powders.

http://www.stencilwithstyle.com/access5a.htm

I posted a picture of a card made with JAC paper, dusted with glitter, and sprayed with Ranger's Memories Mist.

stamphappy1650's Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2008, 08:05 AM   #7  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't understand how sticky paper would work. If the whole thing is sticky, how do you get glitter to go just where you want it? And if you're glittering the whole page, why would you need a stencil?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2008, 08:12 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what about something like this?
Glitter Puzzle Tutorials at Splitcoaststampers

Beate made a *cute* card by cutting out circles:
Glitter Puzzle Girly Style by Beate at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2008, 04:22 PM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithr66View Post
I don't understand how sticky paper would work. If the whole thing is sticky, how do you get glitter to go just where you want it? And if you're glittering the whole page, why would you need a stencil?

If you want the hole page to be glittered you don't need a stencil, but, if you want only parts of the page to be glittered then the stencil covers the places where you don't want glitter but want to put something else like embossing paste.

Here is the quick and dirty explanation of using embossing paste with a brass template and JAC paper. If you plan to do this you should go to dreamweaver.

You soap up your brass template with a vegtable oil soap so that the template won't stick permanently to the sticky JAC paper.

Lay the template on the JAC paper

Hold the template down with post-its (this keeps you from getting paste where you don't want it and when you lift up the template from the JAC paper)

spread the paste over the template - don't smoosh it to hard as you don't want the paste to go under the template

remove the post-its in reverse order of how you laid them down (remove last one first). before you remove the last (first post it you put down) post it, slide the template to about a 1/2 inch over the edge of your work table, hold the JAC paper down on the very edge and push the template down of the edge of the table towards your body - the template will start to pop up off the JAC paper. Carefully lift the template along with the last postit off the paste - you don't want to smear it because it's almost impossible to fix

Immediately clean your stencil with Simple Green or other similar cleaner. If you don't clean your stencil right away its really, really, yes really hard to get off of your stencil.

Let the embossing paste dry.

Sprinkle glitter over the JAC paper and tap off the glitter - the glitter will stick to the JAC paper and NOT the embossing powder. This is the reason to use the JAC paper.

I know this was long, but I hope it helps. It does take some practice to use embossing paste so you can get a smooth finish. I do recommend you read up on it at dreamweavers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2008, 02:06 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

thank you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2008, 03:09 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithr66View Post
I probably saw the same demo (I was at the Mesa convention however) that the OP saw. My friend and I came in the middle and I missed what kind of paper she used and I think she "dipped" the stencil in soapy water, which I think will "release" the brass stencil when you are all done. Basically you just lay the brass stencil down and put you glitter on (she masked off parts that she was going to put a different color on). She sort of "smooshed" the glitter in good with her fingers.

I have to say the results were fabulous...she used ultrafine glitters and they looked beautiful. I opted out...I used to have a ton of brass stencils and I sold them all. Not going back, but I sure thought about it :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2008, 03:29 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a website, www.apapergarden.com that sells the sticky paper. I saw them demo it at Mega Meet last year. I've done the same technique by running paper thru the xyron on both sides. Put your brass stencil on very lightly (so it isn't stuck for all time), Sprinkle glitter over the stencil,tap off excess. Lift off the stencil and apply a different color glitter over the rest of the sticky paper.Peel off the back xyron paper and adhere to your card. Sorry I don't have a sample to post. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2008, 03:38 AM   #13  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by odie1View Post
There's a website, www.apapergarden.com that sells the sticky paper. I saw them demo it at Mega Meet last year. I've done the same technique by running paper thru the xyron on both sides. Put your brass stencil on very lightly (so it isn't stuck for all time), Sprinkle glitter over the stencil,tap off excess. Lift off the stencil and apply a different color glitter over the rest of the sticky paper.Peel off the back xyron paper and adhere to your card. Sorry I don't have a sample to post. HTH
Great idea on using the xyron - when I run out of JAC paper I use the xyron. One thing about the JAC paper is that it's hard to work with having the entire back sticky. For me I'd rather have just one side sticky so I have a little more control. Now, using your idea I can just put glue on one side and then put tape on the base card. Thnak you so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 03:39 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've learned so much from everyone on this sight that it makes me happy to have helped someone else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2008, 03:56 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

I've done it with sticky paper and lace.

You need a big bit of lace-any pattern you like, lay the lace on the sticky paper, press down so flat on sticky paper. Apply one colour of glitter-say gold. Gently press the glitter into the holes of the pattern of the lace. Then tip the excess glitter onto a piece of paper etc and gently lift the lace off the sticky paper. There will be a lacey pattern in glitter. Then with another colour of glitter-say red,pour over the area-of course where the gold glitter is, the red glitter won't stick. Again gently press the glitter to ensure it fills all the gaps. Ultimately you end up with two colours in a lacy effect. It's stunning. Hope I've explained OK-not very good at it sorry.
Reply With Quote Likes