Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-06-2009, 06:20 AM   #81  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickkitView Post
When my husband makes comments about how much stamping stuff I have - I just point outside to his $18,000.00 ford tractor and tell him "We are not even yet" :-)
I am blessed in that my husband doesn't make comments about how much I spend on stamping supplies.

But if he did! (lol) I could point o the garage and remind him about that $18,000 Factory Five kit car he is building (which is actually a WHOLE lot more than $18,000 since he is buying only the best parts to build the motor <sigh> ).

Actually, my husband encourages me in my hobby because he knows that, no matter how much I spend, I will never come close to the cost of his hobbies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2009, 06:44 AM   #82  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think we are confusing two hobbies - collecting and doing. You can card make with very few supplies - even using template shapes instead of nesties and so on. SO really ask yourself what you could do to make something like - rather than always needing the latest do-dad to make it. I am an SU demo in the UK (Hi to Diane in Chester!! One of my old stamping grounds with a small s) and actually we do pay more here for things but since becoming a demo it has become a game for me - how much discount can I get and what can I get for free - and actually I now really stop and think about whether I need stuff from elsewhere if i can't use it in my business!!! Although i have to confess to still having rather alot of "Other Stuff" in the house including nesties!

Rachel
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2009, 07:00 AM   #83  
Stampin' Fool

My husband stopped at the door to my craft room one day and asked what I was doing. I said I was just playing around stamping. He got a puzzled look on his face and said "but don't you have a purpose - like a making a card for a birthday"? I thought for a moment and said "Why do you play golf"? He said "to relax andhave fun. Well Duh! Tats what I am doing. He finally got it. I cut back in other ways to have money to spend. I quit buying coffee in the morning, don't buy as many clothes, that kind of thing. Plus, I make as much as he does so he can't complain toomuch. Whats that line i sawrecently? I buy as much stuff as I can hide from my husband? something like that. Not that I need to hide stuff but some do.

Blog Paper Rocks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2009, 07:13 AM   #84  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelBUKView Post
I think we are confusing two hobbies - collecting and doing. You can card make with very few supplies - even using template shapes instead of nesties and so on. SO really ask yourself what you could do to make something like - rather than always needing the latest do-dad to make it.

Rachel
That's a good point. I do have a supportive hubby. He always looks at the things I make and offers comments and suggestions. The only purchases that he has ever commented on in a negative way are the things that end up not getting used.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2009, 08:14 AM   #85  
Mad Swapper

i tried to think, as i organized my billions of sheets of paper, How much of this am i ever gonna use?! ( i had the same thought as i organized my collection of stamps).
the things i use the most are the same over and over-
cardstock- white, cream, blue(s), red
my big guillotine-style paper cutter (even Staples sells them now)
my self- healing mat and an X-Acto (Mat) knife
good scissors
adhesive- a glue stick, a glue pen, Fabri-Tac
ink pads- black, and an embossing pad
heat gun
embossing powder- black, gold, silver, white, crystallized/ sparkle
pre-folded cards and envelopes- white, tan, red and green (holiday) i buy these at craft stores on sale, 50 cards and envies for $3.
stamps (picture)- an angel with a dove by SU, two different size heart stamps, three different snowflakes, a House Mouse birthday stamp
stamps (letter)- i use four different cleap alpha sets and an acrylic block
stamps (sentiments)- 'the best gifts are tied with heartstrings', 'Hi!', 'Happy Birthday', and 'Peace'
i also use a few simple ribbons a lot

i own a ton of stuff, but when i look at what i use i think 'if i could start all over with this as a hobby...LOL'
-laura s
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2009, 08:42 AM   #86  
Matboard Maniac

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When I started this about 7 years ago my DH thought it was going to be a passing phase. Two months ago he gladly painted the spare room for me to use as a craft room. He has plenty of hobbies so he gets it. Once he went with me to my favorite stamp store. I apparently didn't need much because my total was $3.75. He looked up and said "That's it? That's all you need?" The ladies laughed and said that's like getting permission to spend more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2009, 10:50 AM   #87  
Insane Embellisher

Budget??? Just playing.....scrapping is therapy, it is "ME" time and it is beneficial for all to have some sort of hobby. It is hard to remember to control oneself. I have been scrapping hardcore for 8 years and I still feel the need to buy and acquire all kinds of goodies. So good luck. I actually work simply to buy myself the things I so desperately need I am in need of retail therapy (after work).

http://www.queentomas.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2009, 02:05 PM   #88  
Pearl-ExPert

It has been fun to read all the responses to this thread!

I do not have a really supportive husband at all. He does NOT have any hobbies, so I cannot fall back on that one in a comparison discussion. For those that do have husbands with hobbies....I think that is the best defence argument there is....Stops them in their tracks like a shot!

I began stamping a very long time ago and have a whole room, dubbed "the dungeon" by my DH, dedicated to "all my rubbish" as he calls it all. I used to be one of those girls who would buy as much stuff as I could secrete in there...with the age old comment....formerly employed with buying clothes....that I have had that for ages (my concept of time lapses was sometimes not very good!) Now I only did this coz he always made me feel guilty about the whole process. I found this staved off any "discussion" (read here argument, too....coz men tend to wander around with blinkers on!) I am certainly not one to ask permission to go buy something!

For the last three years though, I have had my own paperarts business (not any one company) and have been buying my own stash at cost. It was good too, as DH never knew what was for me and what was for customers. I am going to have to close it down in the very near future and I will sorely miss being able to get my stuff cheaply.

If you can, use stuff that you have onhand. If you have the time, research the many many many techniques you can do using household items. I have taught full courses using household stuff...There is plenty there to keep you occupied for a very long time.

Buy just the basic necessities and become an expert in using them. If you do some research again, you will find that the basics can also give you lots of different looks, techs and heaps of interest etc.

I know others have suggested signing up for the pyramid selling companies, but I have to disagree with this outlook. If you do, you will be locked in to attaining a certain level in a certain time. If you are only buying for yourself and do not have a customer base, then you will be restricting yourself entirely. You may find all your available loot having to be devoted to attaining whatever the level is, leaving no resource to shop around. I believe variety is the spice of life and as you become more involved in this hobby, you will probably want a bit of this and a bit of that!

I am pretty much certain you are never going to convince him it is worth the dollars...not in dollar terms anyway. I don't think any hobby is actually worth the dollars in a monetary sense....Hobbies exhaust money. Hobbies are supposed to be for pleasure! So they are worth heaps in a mind sense. And as so many have said before me...if mum is happy, then everyone else in the home is too....and boy oh boy, ain't that the truth of it!

Having said that, some people sell their stuff. To me, once money exchanges hands for items made, then it cannot really be classified as a hobby anymore. It becomes an activity geared to making money, therefore in a sense, a small business. Unless you sell squillions of cards on a regular basis, the money in is not going to equal or better the money out.

Look, I would abandon even the thought of justifying anything! My argument would be why do you need to justify in the first place? If you both have your own specified amount to blow, then who cares how you spend it? It's your pin money...and wont you have some pretty stuff to show for it?

I wish you luck! MY DH has become somewhat resigned to me nowadays! I always tell him I need something living out in the sticks....and even more so now we have an empty nest (only since Xmas, but still!)

Regards....Better go...gotta go get supplies...we are on cyclone warning here and the weather is closing in quickly...apparently this one is a bad one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2009, 02:30 PM   #89  
Insane Embellisher

You really can be thrifty and still have fun with your hobby. Before I became a demo which allowed me to get my supplies much cheaper I sold some things on ebay each month. I paid the satellite tv bill, the internet bill and then whatever was left over I spent on my hobby.
Look at your junk mail for pretty envelopes and paper you can cut apart to use on your cards. Buy a ream of heavy duty white cardstock for your cards. Put the colored portions on just the front. If you have a flower punch you can punch all your flowers out of scraps. My friends and I used to get together for a punch night. We would bring our scraps and our punches along with little baggies to take them home in. We also used to shop together and split up supplies.
I also make lots of gifts with cards and sometimes put a sheet of stamps with them.
Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2009, 02:43 PM   #90  
Embossing Fanatic

that its better than having a bad habit... doesn't he have any??

it keeps us active with our minds, and social/ sane lol...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2009, 03:05 PM   #91  
Insane Embellisher

Smile

I'm not a mom, but I'm a stay-at-home wife, because the doctor has not released me to go back to work in 15 months.

I have income from retirement (a nice chunk) and my husband still works two jobs (a vehicle's engine dying didn't help!).

The other day, he told me his new hobby is taking a nap when I'm shopping at Mike's, JoAnn's, or my LSS (which are all two hours away!). I just laughed. He loves his little naps.

I haven't bought a greeting card in 4 years, and my DH has 9 grandkids and another due this spring. He told me the other day - making cards IS a part time job! haha. I never miss a birthday, anniversary, or major holiday. (He buys the postage stamps and mails the cards on his way to work!)

Most of the big ticket items I owned before I even started dating my DH. He did, however, buy me a Cricut Expression for my birthday (March 20th)!!!!!

We pay our bills, save a bit, and then we get our goodies, IF and only IF anything is left over to spend!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2009, 03:11 PM   #92  
Insane Embellisher

I saw the long post above and just had to tell you all:

One day at Mike's my husband was shopping for HIS hobby. I was chatting with a clerk and DH asked if he could use my 50% off coupon for himself.

The clerk looked at him and laughed and said to both of us, "He's joking, right? He doesn't REALLY want YOUR coupon, does he?" DH cracked up and always makes sure now that HE has a coupon for himself. (She gave him 40% off his item, too!)

He says the same thing, "you only spent $7.95? Two hours home and that's all you need? He makes it sound like we drove just for that purchase, but we still have a month's worth of groceries to buy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2009, 03:15 PM   #93  
Inking Addict

Tell him it's cheaper than therapy. Mental or marital.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2009, 03:28 PM   #94  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by postmarkView Post
You really can be thrifty and still have fun with your hobby. Before I became a demo which allowed me to get my supplies much cheaper I sold some things on ebay each month. I paid the satellite tv bill, the internet bill and then whatever was left over I spent on my hobby.
Look at your junk mail for pretty envelopes and paper you can cut apart to use on your cards. Buy a ream of heavy duty white cardstock for your cards. Put the colored portions on just the front. If you have a flower punch you can punch all your flowers out of scraps. My friends and I used to get together for a punch night. We would bring our scraps and our punches along with little baggies to take them home in. We also used to shop together and split up supplies.
I also make lots of gifts with cards and sometimes put a sheet of stamps with them.
Good luck!!

Postmark,

That's sound like a lot of fun and a great idea. Even my younger girls would love that when their friends come to play and want to try everything. TFS!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2009, 04:42 PM   #95  
Matboard Maniac

I have to agree that if you stick to your budget, use coupons if you can that will help your budget. I am very luck to have the DH that I do, he is very supportive off my addiction. I have to say that I am very careful of what I say I like or might be interested in for example I went to stamping workshop came home and talked about the xyron's. Well I had the 1.5, 2.5 and 5" one sitting on the table for me when I got home. He said he had coupons (using my line) and I needed them so I guess what I am suggesting is get your husband to enjoy your addiction and who knows what could come out of it. And as for the Motorcycle, my DH has 2 and I have 1 so between my 2 addictions life is interesting to say the least. Good luck and enjoy it will all come together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2009, 12:29 AM   #96  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions! I think I have been so focused lately on building up supplies that I got on a little spending frenzy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2009, 02:54 AM   #97  
Matboard Maniac

Ha ha ha ha...you ladies are all funny...want an EXPENSIVE hobby? Buy a show horse! LOL...now THERE's an expensive hobby! (and let me tell you the horse is the cheapest part!)
I was able to defend my stamping $$$ by comparing dh's tobacco habit, BUT NOW he quit tobacco (yeah him!), but I have to figure out how to defend my continued stamping spending...LOL...he doesn't seem to mind too much though...

OP - have you thought of maybe selling some items on ebay for some extra $$$? You can always enter image swaps too...I love doing that because sometimes I thought an image I would LOVE..turns out not so much and I didn't actually have to purchase that stamp...of course that goes the other way too...LOL...you find images you didn't know you HAD TO HAVE... HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2009, 05:00 AM   #98  
Matboard Maniac

I agree with mbm103's #3 point. Most of my favorite stamp sets, I've gotten "preloved" from E-bay or right here on SCS in the buy/sell forum. I also always have a running "wish list." When I think I just have to buy an item, I check the forums here and see what people think. Reading other's reviews has convinced me that I didnt' really need a certain item and has also convinced me that I just have to have an item (all those I LOVE! I've not yet been disappointed in purchase if I check there for reviews on the item.) I give my DH, MIL, mom my wish list for birthdays and Christmas. That way they're thrilled to be able to get me something I really want (and it's easier than coming up with their own ideas) and I'm thrilled too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2009, 08:25 AM   #99  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for all the comments! What's funny is that without me even saying anything he brought up this week how we need a "raise" in our fun money each month! I told him if he really thought so, I'd be okay with that.....and got out my SU catalog to start plotting my next order!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2009, 08:49 AM   #100  
Insane Embellisher

you all are too funny! stamping is just another way we waste money....but it sure is fun! and I love the product! not to mention time indulging in it makes me feel so good...so much happier....

If everything in life is all about the money, then you're really missing out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2009, 10:05 AM   #101  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: keeping my 7 yr old still, while I'm in stampin' bliss!

I didn't read through all the posts, so not sure if this has been said. But the first thought that came into my mind was withhold s*x. Once he's delirious you can talk him into ANYTHING!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2009, 10:55 AM   #102  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by SheilaKylesView Post
I didn't read through all the posts, so not sure if this has been said. But the first thought that came into my mind was withhold s*x. Once he's delirious you can talk him into ANYTHING!
So sad that for a lot of men,:-Dthis is so true! lol Use what you've got to get what you want!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2009, 11:03 AM   #103  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curly ChickView Post
I gotcha a holiday. My kids just informed me that today (3/3/09) is Square Root Day. It only happens 9 times a century. If ya ask me it ranks right up there with Pancake Day. Send cards to all your friends!!! At 2 bucks a card that would be....

Pamela
And tomorrow is Pi day - 3/14. My kids even got pumpkin "pi" to celebrate!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2009, 11:05 AM   #104  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftingcarenView Post
I decided instead in joining weight watcher's I would do it on my own. So, for an incentive my hubby and I decided I could have $15 for every 5 pounds lost. Still less than Weight Watcher's, but now I have a fun incentive to lose the weight!
Good for you! How's it going?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2009, 11:11 AM   #105  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattiLynnView Post
I think wearing only cardstock scraps (strategically placed, of course) would quickly change his viewpoint on your hobby.

All kidding aside, my DH is very supportive of my addiction. I keep it in control. I think the idea of joining a Stamp Club is an incredible idea. Stamp Clubs allow you to slowly build your supplies while learning new techniques/layouts with a bunch of ladies who share the same hobby!!!
So how does one go about finding a stamp club?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2009, 11:21 AM   #106  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by edith199View Post
Because you're just starting out the only thing I can advise is that you take a close look at all the "basics"... step back and take a real close look to see if it's really something that you really really want and will put to good use? or is it vying for your $$ because it looks great but in reality.... it'll just sit on the shelf after you've purchased it? It's hard to analyze at the start, but in the end it will save you from buying a lot of stuff that you never use... just a thought from my experience....
I so totally agree! Sometimes I see a card of my demos that I just MUST recreate so I buy the tool -usually a $15 punch. I make that one card and then have the punch but don't do anything else with it. I'm specifically thinking of that one funky punch that SU used to sell that has the 4 not quite rectangle shapes. I have no idea what I was thinking!
Jen
Reply With Quote Likes