Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #41  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread makes me so sad. I placed my first order a few months back and it took two weeks to reach me.Honestly I forgot about it until it reached my mailbox.
I'm not sure if I ordered at release time or not. However, why can't they hire extra shipping folks at release time to make the orders go out faster? It's not that hard, ESPECIALLY if you KNOW you have timeliness issues because your customers are screaming at you! I mean really...why should the customer make so many compromises as to when to order when they are handing them money? Are the new releases on time every month? Why can't the shipping be also?

I mean your Customer are telling you plainly what your issues are: why can't you get it together? There are too many companies out there who care about their customers and ship fast. They are the ones who get my business.
Just my humble opinion!:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #42  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

littlebirchtree, I'm sorry for your frustration.

I've been ordering from PTI regularly for appx 3 or 4 years. At first, I would get frustrated as well. They are very slow; of course this is true around the 15th, but they're slow anytime. I've learned to expect it from them. They're products are usually high quality (not one who got caught with the bad inks), and I always go with the free shipping; those things, with adjusted expectations, make me satisfied with them.

In my experience, however, emails are another matter. Usually, if I get anything other than an automated response, it is curt and doesn't answer my question at all.

When you get your order and assess your items, then make up your mind whether dealing with the bad is worth the good in your opinion. Maybe someday these other issues will improve.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by BellegirlView Post
It's really quite interesting to read about people's ordering experiences. I am not saying that to be insensitive, but to point out (from my perspective anyway) that there seems to be so much variety here. For instance, I am not a frequent customer to PTI or SU. Yet, I just ordered from PTI yesterday (2nd order) and today I already have a shipping notice. With a recent SU order (in maybe two days max) had a shipping notice. Yet, an order I placed to The Twinery, almost a week ago, I have heard nothing from, which I do find quite irritating. It's my first order to them, so this experience will no doubt impact my future ordering with them.

I am definitely influenced by reasonable shipping rates, speedy service, and quality products.
Bellegirl, one thing to keep in mind with PTI is that their shipping labels are generated in advance of the actual shipping. Sometimes the package is sent out in a reasonable timeframe following your receipt of that notice, but don't be surprised if it doesn't. Conversation on the PTI forum has taken to referring to these e-mails as "fake shipping notices,� which is not to imply deceit on the company's part, only that it's the only company that most of us deal with who have this bizarre practice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2012, 03:59 AM   #44  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lola G.View Post
Conversation on the PTI forum has taken to referring to these e-mails as "fake shipping notices,� which is not to imply deceit on the company's part, only that it's the only company that most of us deal with who have this bizarre practice.
You have got to be kidding!?! Now, I wonder if that is what I received last week telling me that my orders have shipped. I guess time will tell. Who would have thought? :confused:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2012, 05:00 AM   #45  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlsjohnsonView Post
You have got to be kidding!?! Now, I wonder if that is what I received last week telling me that my orders have shipped. I guess time will tell. Who would have thought? :confused:
It's been my experience that the "shipping notice" you get is just to tell you that the shipping label has been printed. It does not reflect the actual day your order was shipped. I agree with the other poster in calling it a "fake" shipping notice! I've done a ton of internet shopping over the years and have never had any other company do this.

Such a shame that a company with good products (except for their ink experiments!) can have such poor customer service. I truely hope they can improve in this area.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2012, 05:04 AM   #46  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlsjohnsonView Post
Rachael, if it was your first notice, it's possible that it wasn't the actual shipping notice, only the notification that the shipping label had been generated. That is sometimes followed by an e-mail from the actual shipper (either USPS or UPS) telling you that they have been notified to expect a package and, when they do, then provide some tracking info.

I should also mention that it's not uncommon for people to receive their packages without any real notice either way, in which case they're usually pleasantly surprised. There just doesn't appear to be a way to know with any certainty how it's going to go.

Their customer service leaves more than a lot to be desired, and the shipping process really needs to be overhauled, but the products and the projects generated by the design team are always top-notch.

I have no doubt that you'll enjoy your goodies when they arrive!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2012, 05:06 AM   #47  
Die Cut Diva

As far as "fake shipping notices," please note that this is what some people on the PTI forum have called them. PTI is NOT sending out e-mails with fake shipping notices. From what I have read, after you place an order and shipping gets it, they print out a shipping label for your order - that triggers the e-mail. Then your order goes through the steps of fulfilling the order, gathering the products, sticking it in the box and sticking on the label and finally shipping it. For whatever reason that is their procedure. Seems like the label should be the last thing to do, but really not sure how their shipping/inventory system is set up.

And you would think an easy solution would be to add some extra people around release time, but how many people are looking for a job that may only last a few days on the 15th of each month. Sounds like that would be easy until you realize that some months is may be Mon- Fri, then Fri-Tues, etc. You certainly don't want to try to bring in new people every month and train them.

I feel for PTI, they have started from nothing and built something that is really amazing. And it is easy to jump on them about why can't they get this figured out and what is taking so long. But I have seen many small businesses struggle over the years. They start a business doing something they love (stamping) and soon have to learn about accounting, taxes, shipping, inventory, customer service, hiring, employee issues, etc. etc. etc. Before you know it your are drowning in issues you know nothing about and it is not always easy to find a quick solution. And finding good reputable people to help is never easy.
I will keep ordering from them. I love their products and am willing to wait for them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2012, 05:29 AM   #48  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 509 Likes on 229 Posts

I am a firm believer in the philosophy of Experience Pros...that no matter what business you are in, you are in the relationship business...and that extreme customer service is the name of the game. And there is no excuse for lack of customer service from day one of any business. Others have done it, they could have done it too.

Only one thing keeps PTI going. That is that the products are great; they hype to buying more, more, more; and we, as customers, continue to buy from them. If they started losing business because of their poor customer service and their poor inventory control, they would need to make changes or go under. Bottom line.

Personally, I love their colors of paper. Right now, I'm thinking I want to get the ink spots. I want some texture plates that are cool but way too expensive. But I think twice about ordering from them because of the lousy attitude toward their business.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2012, 07:33 AM   #49  
Glitter Guru

I have gone to their website more than once to check out their dies. I don't order because I don't want to chance it. I love their their buttons also.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2012, 07:49 AM   #50  
Insane Embellisher

I've ordered from PTI quite a lot. Some orders take longer than others. I think the longest I have waited was two weeks but I probably ordered at release time. I, too, have ripped a stamp taking it off the sheet and the stamp was replaced for free as soon as I emailed them about the problem. I also received the free "thanks" set with my last order. As for the anniversary set, I didn't received one so I purchased one from someone on SCS, and so of course right after it came, I received the free one from PTI. I now have an extra I don't need. I'll probably try to sell it eventualy. Anyway, their products are so worth the wait and they are working on the problems from what I can see.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #51  
Pearl-ExPert

Sometimes the order is here in 3 to 4 days even during release times (USPS) and other times 10 days up to 15 to 16 days (UPS). The 16 days was thanks to UPS sending my package on a vacation through the southwest states.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2012, 09:44 AM   #52  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamper for funView Post
Sometimes the order is here in 3 to 4 days even during release times (USPS) and other times 10 days up to 15 to 16 days (UPS). The 16 days was thanks to UPS sending my package on a vacation through the southwest states.
LOL! IKWYM!!! I recently had a package sent from NJ to TX via Hawaii! If I had know it was that cheap to get to Hawaii I would have mailed myself there!! My package came back all tanned and with a smile on itself after 6days!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #53  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrellView Post
I don't think this helps those that have been waiting. Personally, I have more patience because of the free shipping, but at some point, especially when one spends significantly more than $60, patience begins to run thin. And there are some people that spend major money there.

I've figured out that customer service means different things to different people.
Ain't that the truth?!

I was a PTI customer in the beginning. A very loyal customer. Then, things kept going wrong. First, they used poor grammar in a stamp set and refused to admit it. After much fuss, they finally did admit it and fixed it. It's happened again since and they reacted better, as they learned from the first time. So, they can learn. Then, they started having issues with shipping. Noone got shipping notices in those days. Then, they started sending out shipping notices, but they were random (this problem continues). Then the first ink-gate started. And more, and more and more.

Here's what I've learned:
(1) They do not value customer service and thus it will never be great.
(2) Their shipping times will always be extremely slow around release time and usually around the end of the month. I've had orders from the end of the month take 3 weeks to get here. Thus, if I have to order from them, I do it several days before the release. I typically get those in under a week. I also never expect a shipping notice as the chances of me getting one, and it being accurate, is slim to none.
(3) I don't trust their inks. They've had two sets of issues before that I know of and I simply doubt that they've finally found ones that work. Time will tell on this one. However, their white ink (snow cap) is an exception to that rule. That one is great.
(4) Their stamp sets are great quality and they have good designs. Same with their paper. The paper is also a good value. Same with the ribbons and buttons. This one is the saddest, I think, as they have massive potential to be an utterly fabulous company if they'd just fix the first 3 things.

It's because of the first 3 things that I rarely order from them anymore. I now only order their neutral CS and wait until I have $60+ to order before I order it. If I could find a white CS that I liked as well as theirs, I'd stop ordering PTI entirely. Theirs is cheap and has the thickness and lack of coating that I love.

I actually was in the process of switching over to their inks entirely when ink-gate 2010 hit. What irked me the most about it was that they knew about it for a long time and didn't bother to warn their customers or pull the inks off the site for testing. Gina K would have done that. Granted, her customer service is beyond fantastic. Legendary, in fact. She should teach classes. Regardless, like most long-time stampers, I'm in the perpetual hunt for "the perfect" ink and have discovered that, like the unicorn, it doesn't exist.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #54  
Inking Addict

Ok. I've had enough.

PTI, if you're listening, I'll be there in the morning to start answering your phones and get this straightened out. I'll only be there a few days. I need insurance benefits so have the paperwork ready. See you in the morning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #55  
Insane Embellisher

Lol @ Andrea! Good luck - they seem to be very resistant to change. And I think Kikikaren is right - they don't value customer service. I don't know why, but they just don't. It's really weird to me; they don't even pretend to care.

I like their products and do order occasionally. I believe they are pretty innovative creatively and have done a lot to inspire stampers. But the customer service issues just seem surreal. I always think twice before I order, and I have cut down quite a bit.

Last edited by plkelley; 01-30-2012 at 05:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2012, 06:04 PM   #56  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lola G.View Post
Bellegirl, one thing to keep in mind with PTI is that their shipping labels are generated in advance of the actual shipping. Sometimes the package is sent out in a reasonable timeframe following your receipt of that notice, but don't be surprised if it doesn't. Conversation on the PTI forum has taken to referring to these e-mails as "fake shipping notices,� which is not to imply deceit on the company's part, only that it's the only company that most of us deal with who have this bizarre practice.
Wow...I guess we'll see how long it takes to get my order! Thanks for the info and it's good that I'm in no particular hurry for it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2012, 07:08 PM   #57  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by MWDStampView Post
As far as "fake shipping notices," please note that this is what some people on the PTI forum have called them. PTI is NOT sending out e-mails with fake shipping notices. From what I have read, after you place an order and shipping gets it, they print out a shipping label for your order - that triggers the e-mail. Then your order goes through the steps of fulfilling the order, gathering the products, sticking it in the box and sticking on the label and finally shipping it. For whatever reason that is their procedure. Seems like the label should be the last thing to do, but really not sure how their shipping/inventory system is set up.

And you would think an easy solution would be to add some extra people around release time, but how many people are looking for a job that may only last a few days on the 15th of each month. Sounds like that would be easy until you realize that some months is may be Mon- Fri, then Fri-Tues, etc. You certainly don't want to try to bring in new people every month and train them.

I feel for PTI, they have started from nothing and built something that is really amazing. And it is easy to jump on them about why can't they get this figured out and what is taking so long. But I have seen many small businesses struggle over the years. They start a business doing something they love (stamping) and soon have to learn about accounting, taxes, shipping, inventory, customer service, hiring, employee issues, etc. etc. etc. Before you know it your are drowning in issues you know nothing about and it is not always easy to find a quick solution. And finding good reputable people to help is never easy.
I will keep ordering from them. I love their products and am willing to wait for them.
You do realize that this company wasn't made out of thin air right? The other 2 owners (not Nichole) own a pretty significant printing company and have been in business for some time. The need to feel sorry for them because they can't figure it out astounds me.

I have 2 words for PTI "takt time." There is no reason for them to continually print labels like they do today. They should be able to figure out their picking schedule and how many orders their pickers are capable to pull between post office pick ups. They then only print that many labels per shift/day/etc. It isn't that hard and anyone with the basics in printing/manufacturing knows it. They would be better off to have some of the folks who streamline processes come in and assess their current warehouse. I'm sure their plant has many areas of waste and they could benefit from some six sigma training and the use of kanban.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2012, 07:17 PM   #58  
Compulsive Stamper

I have an etsy shop and once I printed out a label and didn't drop the package off for 4 days because i couldn't get out of the house because of a snow storm. I got reamed by the postal lady because I just screwed up their numbers, because now it looks like USPS is incompetent when it was my fault.

For the record, my package wasn't actually shipped until NINE days after they printed the label. NINE! And I had place my order FIVE days before that. It is absolutely out of control.

I ordered valentines day stamps and I was beginning to worry that they wouldn't get here in time. You would think ordering in the middle of January it wouldn't be a problem.

I got my stamps today and I do love them, great quality, lovely packaging. But I currently have Verves website open and guess what, I love them just as much. If they shipped half as quickly as PTI then I see no reason to go back to PTI.

Oh and I got a response from their customer service, what a joke. It was the same copy and pasted email I've seen posted before.

I worked in a customer service department for years, and I worked very closely with the shipping department. Our shipping department printed labels every morning but they did not leave until every single shipment was fulfilled. Not nine days...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #59  
Watercolor Wizard

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by pascoView Post
You do realize that this company wasn't made out of thin air right? The other 2 owners (not Nichole) own a pretty significant printing company and have been in business for some time. The need to feel sorry for them because they can't figure it out astounds me.

I have 2 words for PTI "takt time." There is no reason for them to continually print labels like they do today. They should be able to figure out their picking schedule and how many orders their pickers are capable to pull between post office pick ups. They then only print that many labels per shift/day/etc. It isn't that hard and anyone with the basics in printing/manufacturing knows it. They would be better off to have some of the folks who streamline processes come in and assess their current warehouse. I'm sure their plant has many areas of waste and they could benefit from some six sigma training and the use of kanban.
I think they'll only do something like this if they start losing money and customers hand over fist. As it stands now, they keep getting new customers, so it keeps the cash flow up. If they're not going in the hole, they're not going to care, regardless.

As a side line, have you seen SU's picking system? It's quite cool. I'm sure it's "industry standard" or something in line with what a company that size should have, but it's really efficient. When I saw it, it was very clear that they put a ton of thought into how it works.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2012, 05:46 AM   #60  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I sent an email with a question about their inks (because the page saying that they were being reformulated hadn't been updated for months and months, and the projected release of the new ones had passed, and the new ones weren't on the website yet). I didn't even get a generic email. Still haven't heard anything... I've never ordered from them, and may not if this is how they treat their customers, in spite of how wonderful some of their dies and stamps might be.
Sue, if you didn't receive the auto reply, then your email didn't go through. You may want to make sure it was sent to customerservice(at)papertreyink(dot)com.

The auto reply is a receipt of sorts - and even though it says you won't receive a response if your question is answered below, you do receive a response. Dave is our new customer service person and he's doing a great job learning the ropes.

If you're new to ordering to Papertrey Ink, there are monthly releases each month on the 15th. Due to the large volume we receive during that short amount of time, you will see a delay in getting your order. Without going into too much detail here, I can tell you that our shipping policy is right on the website. We are upfront about it so that customers can make the decision that is right for them. Non-release shipping is considerably quicker and a great alternative for people who want their orders quickly. And since we don't retire items, you don't have to worry if something is temporarily out of stock because you know you will always be able to order it in the future. I hope this helps clarify a bit, but please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2012, 07:36 AM   #61  
Insane Embellisher

"Due to the large volume we receive during that short amount of time, you will see a delay in getting your order. Without going into too much detail here, I can tell you that our shipping policy is right on the website. We are upfront about it so that customers can make the decision that is right for them. Non-release shipping is considerably quicker and a great alternative for people who want their orders quickly. And since we don't retire items, you don't have to worry if something is temporarily out of stock because you know you will always be able to order it in the future. I hope this helps clarify a bit, but please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions."

This right here? This is exactly what I meant when I said they don't even pretend to care. It is what it is, we are not working to improve it, just deal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2012, 08:12 AM   #62  
Embossing Fanatic

I took the advice and made the right decision for my orders when I started doing business with PTI. I checked out their shipping policy and decided to never order during new release times. I've been lucky with getting my orders super, super quick---like within 3 or 4 days. Typically I will place my order on a Saturday or Sunday and usually have the items by the following Wednesday or Thursday. I've only ordered from PTI a little over a handful of times but have never been disappointed with their service. The only thing that is just a little disappointing is having to constantly check on the status of an out of stock item. There are so many e-commerce solutions available for this, it's just surprising to not see it available on PTI's site, for as popular and busy as they are.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2012, 09:51 AM   #63  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockriverView Post
I took the advice and made the right decision for my orders when I started doing business with PTI. I checked out their shipping policy and decided to never order during new release times. I've been lucky with getting my orders super, super quick---like within 3 or 4 days. Typically I will place my order on a Saturday or Sunday and usually have the items by the following Wednesday or Thursday. I've only ordered from PTI a little over a handful of times but have never been disappointed with their service. The only thing that is just a little disappointing is having to constantly check on the status of an out of stock item. There are so many e-commerce solutions available for this, it's just surprising to not see it available on PTI's site, for as popular and busy as they are.
The info on out-of-stock items is always included in the PTI newsletter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2012, 10:20 AM   #64  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
Yes, but it doesn't come out frequently, and not everyone subscribes to it. Even people who do subscribe to it don't always receive it (according to past complaints on the PTI boards).

Don't breed or buy while homeless animals die!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2012, 10:46 AM   #65  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks, Mary!! I would be one of those people who hasn't subscribed yet but now I will!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2012, 10:53 AM   #66  
Glitter Queen

I ordered from PTI only 3 times. The first time was during a release and I did not know about the long wait time, it took over 2 weeks. I said ok fine. The second time I ordered was after their release date but that also took almost 2 weeks. Which I found really odd since they were pushing the after release date ordering.

Still I thought I'd give the benefit of the doubt and order again. They were a lot quicker about the shipping but still I find their whole system a bit strange. Still haven't received my order yet but that's more the postal system this time.

I do wish they had a better website in place that will tell you what's out of stock instead of waiting to get to the cart page. A wish list would also be appreciated since I can't remember which set I want to get and have to go through their whole site each and every time. And no, that does not make me want to buy more it just annoys me that I just close everything out and shop at another site.

I can't say only PTI have been having these issues about shipping there are a few store that have these long wait times but I usually stop shopping there or only do very limited orders maybe once or twice a year.

If my first experience there was better I would've ordered more often but sadly it seems that there's still a bit of work to go before they become top tier shopping to me. But to put things into perspective I ordered from Stamping Bella (for the first time) the day before I ordered from PTI and SB still has my order on their website as "Processing", now thats a bit out of control too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2012, 10:55 AM   #67  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
On some sites, you can sign up to receive an email (tweet, whatever) when the item you're interested in is restocked; I think that's what she is referring to. I agree that it's a fantastic feature when it's available.

I'm one of those who doesn't always get the newsletter from PTI although I'm sub'd.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #68  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by cintaiView Post
I do wish they had a better website in place that will tell you what's out of stock instead of waiting to get to the cart page. A wish list would also be appreciated since I can't remember which set I want to get and have to go through their whole site each and every time. And no, that does not make me want to buy more it just annoys me that I just close everything out and shop at another site.
This has been my issue with them - I used to order at least every other month, for the first year or so they were in business, and had no problems. It seems, though, that as they've gotten bigger and released more stamp sets and colors, their warehouse just can't keep up. At least 3 times now, I've sat down with my carefully saved monthly budget to order some sets I've been wanting - not even recent releases that could be expected to be sold out - and ended up with nothing in my cart because none of the multiple sets I wanted were in stock. It's really a crapshoot whether they'll have what you want, whether it's a recent release or from several months or a year ago.

I was pretty disappointed with their handling of the ink issue, as well. I invested a lot in the inks before they stopped selling them, and didn't get any kind of email notice or mention in the newsletter that they weren't selling them any more. I'm now not inclined to trust the new ink line until it's been tested by other people for a while.

My little gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2012, 02:06 PM   #69  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by schlozbView Post
Yes, but it doesn't come out frequently, and not everyone subscribes to it. Even people who do subscribe to it don't always receive it (according to past complaints on the PTI boards).
And if they get a smaller order in, they don't bother to put it in there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2012, 04:28 PM   #70  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by kikikarenView Post
I think they'll only do something like this if they start losing money and customers hand over fist. As it stands now, they keep getting new customers, so it keeps the cash flow up. If they're not going in the hole, they're not going to care, regardless.

As a side line, have you seen SU's picking system? It's quite cool. I'm sure it's "industry standard" or something in line with what a company that size should have, but it's really efficient. When I saw it, it was very clear that they put a ton of thought into how it works.

I agree with your first point completely.

I haven't seen SU!'s system in detail. I did see one demo post a picture from a trip there but nothing in detail. It looked cool and I would love to learn more about it.

I think the folks at PTI are too proud to learn more about these productivity solutions. I wish they weren't, I wish they would listen to folks talking about reducing waste in packaging and printing labels as needed. Hopefully it will happen.

I also hope the J's printing company isn't profiting off of PTI packaging, that would be sad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2012, 05:01 PM   #71  
Glitter Queen

I just received my order from PTI. I would be ecstatic except I placed 2 orders on the same day. I placed the first order thinking that would be it, but an hour later I decided that no I wanted the other stamp sets as well and placed another order.

I got the shipping notification for one and not for the second, so I thought maybe they combined the orders into one box and I shouldn't worry about it still being in the "processing" state.

As soon as I saw the box I knew that I was going to have problems. It was only the first order. The second order I placed included cardstock so no way would that fit. Now I'm wondering why is my other order now 12 days past and still in the processing stage? Why would this one come so fast and the other one still awaiting fulfillment? It boggles my mind!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2012, 06:02 PM   #72  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have gained a lot, as a small business owner, by reading all the responses here. I agree with a lot of what you all have said, about customer service being so important. I totally agree. It just seems to not be a priority for A LOT of companies these days though.

My biggest pet peeve about online ordering is SLOW SHIPPING. I do my absolute best to ship out my orders super fast because I know how much it stinks to wait so long. I rarely order from companies if I end up waiting forever to receive my items.

I love the few PTI products that I have, but have to agree with the extremely slow shipping times. My PTI orders have been slooooooooooooow. Slower than SU (and I think they are super slow). I would order quite a bit more from them, and more often if their shipping didn't take FOREVER.
I didn't realize that their Customer Service was so in the pits (with the emailing stuff), but I hope they can improve.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2012, 06:28 PM   #73  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by pascoView Post
I agree with your first point completely.

I haven't seen SU!'s system in detail. I did see one demo post a picture from a trip there but nothing in detail. It looked cool and I would love to learn more about it.

I think the folks at PTI are too proud to learn more about these productivity solutions. I wish they weren't, I wish they would listen to folks talking about reducing waste in packaging and printing labels as needed. Hopefully it will happen.

I also hope the J's printing company isn't profiting off of PTI packaging, that would be sad.
I saw it in my demo days many years ago (I resigned after they changed the contract as I didn't agree with the route they were taking). The gist of what I remember is this, though I'm sure an engineer could tell you this in much greater detail -

They had a section where the boxes were put together. Then, the boxes traveled over a conveyor belt, across the top of the warehouse to the pickers.

The pickers had sections. The first (if I remember correctly) would put the packing slip in the box and a scanner. By scanning the packing slip, the system would "ignite" for that box. As the box moved down the picking line, if there were things in that section that should go in the box, the box would stop at that section.

The worker in that section would then pick up the scanner and scan the label. The conveyor belt went down the middle of the section and the items were in boxes on shelves on either side. Each item had lights under it. When the worker scanned the slip in his/her area, the items that were ordered would light up. I forget exactly how they did it, but there was an indication system for telling the worker how many of each item went in the box. Once the worker had put everything in the box from that section, s/he would turn off the lights, put the scanner back in the box and send it on to the next section.

I don't know how they refilled the boxes of items, but I was truly impressed at how easily they handled a massively varied inventory in a short amount of space and time. Granted, I'm a manufacturing nerd and love to visit factories, so it was exciting for me to see a picking line in action.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2012, 10:08 PM   #74  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kikikarenView Post
I saw it in my demo days many years ago (I resigned after they changed the contract as I didn't agree with the route they were taking). The gist of what I remember is this, though I'm sure an engineer could tell you this in much greater detail -

They had a section where the boxes were put together. Then, the boxes traveled over a conveyor belt, across the top of the warehouse to the pickers.

The pickers had sections. The first (if I remember correctly) would put the packing slip in the box and a scanner. By scanning the packing slip, the system would "ignite" for that box. As the box moved down the picking line, if there were things in that section that should go in the box, the box would stop at that section.

The worker in that section would then pick up the scanner and scan the label. The conveyor belt went down the middle of the section and the items were in boxes on shelves on either side. Each item had lights under it. When the worker scanned the slip in his/her area, the items that were ordered would light up. I forget exactly how they did it, but there was an indication system for telling the worker how many of each item went in the box. Once the worker had put everything in the box from that section, s/he would turn off the lights, put the scanner back in the box and send it on to the next section.

I don't know how they refilled the boxes of items, but I was truly impressed at how easily they handled a massively varied inventory in a short amount of space and time. Granted, I'm a manufacturing nerd and love to visit factories, so it was exciting for me to see a picking line in action.
That is how I thought SU did their orders. I don't like the slow turtle shipping times. I am a patient person. I did figure this was the reason why. It's efficient but I am sure it gets behind at times. I am so happy you posted this. Knowing things like that makes me say "I understand so it's cool!" I will always order from SU unless they change their color palette.

PTI's rude canned responses generated by their computer is not acceptable unless they have HAL and he's on a rampage. Reading all this over here and 2Peas about PTI has been very interesting. Like I said in my earlier threads I have ordered from them before but it was not a big deal order and I am not really into their items. I know getting an e-mail like that I would have been super PO'd. I would have called them and railed them out over it. PTI really needs to change those responses.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 08:07 AM   #75  
Cardstock Collector

I've ordered from PTI a few times just since Christmas, and the last order took 10 days to get. Very frustrating.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #76  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by thelittlebirchtreeView Post
But I currently have Verves website open and guess what, I love them just as much. If they shipped half as quickly as PTI then I see no reason to go back to PTI.
You won't regret an order with Verve! I can honestly say that their customer service is fabulous! Once I actually forgot to use a coupon code, then remembered an hour after placing my order- emailed customer service and they credited me for the coupon. It was completely my mistake and they didn't have to do it, but that sold me. Great customer service!

Not to mention, every time I've ordered they ship in a day or two and are always packaged so nicely. I also like that you can choose First-class mail to save $$.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #77  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by plkelleyView Post
Good luck - they seem to be very resistant to change. And I think Kikikaren is right - they don't value customer service. I don't know why, but they just don't. It's really weird to me; they don't even pretend to care.
I guess it is because people keep buying. They have money coming in, so they don't have to care. That's horrible! After reading all of these comments, I will avoid them, that is for sure.

My Stamping Pad
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #78  
Glitter Queen

I placed my order 11 days ago and UPS just today got a hold of my package. UPS estimates I'll have it by the 6th. That's 16 days to get my order in my hands. I live in the US, so I find that time frame a little unacceptable.
On the 5th they'll start previewing new items for the next release, before I get my items from last month! It definitely dwindles the excitement of getting new product.
I see a rep from PTI has already been here, so I make the suggestion to whomever is in charge of hiring: hire people on a part-time basis to work in the wharehouse, even if it's only for release week. There are plenty of people looking for work right now so I'm sure you'd have no trouble finding a few to come on and work for you. What you end up paying them in wages will be far below the cost of losing more customers.

Last edited by Bunnychickadee; 02-01-2012 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #79  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Bunnychickadee- I think your idea is brilliant abut part time workers for the warehouse. I know a lot of temp agencies would be thrilled to get a contract like that.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 11:30 PM   #80  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Bunnychickadee- I think your idea is brilliant abut part time workers for the warehouse. I know a lot of temp agencies would be thrilled to get a contract like that.
If they lived close to me, I'd jump at the chance! I've been out of work for far too long!

I bet they could even find three or four people in their area that would come in to work a day in exchange for new release items or other product. It would be a win-win situation for everyone.
Reply With Quote Likes