Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-03-2016, 03:10 PM   #81  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

I don't "get" Project Life.

I tried copics but never could get the hang of them.

Gelli plates
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2016, 04:18 PM   #82  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJP111View Post
I don't "get" Project Life.

I tried copics but never could get the hang of them.

Gelli plates
I don't get Project Life either... don't like to colour enough to warrant copics... what in the world are Gelli plates?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2016, 06:51 PM   #83  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 220 Likes on 135 Posts

This is a fun thread☺
The things at present that I really don't care for are the people and animals with huge eyes - I find them disturbing to look at.
The other thing that I've really never enjoyed are the complicated fold type cards, or folded containers to hold treats etc. Rather spend my time coloring or trying new techniques.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2016, 07:10 PM   #84  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 497 Likes on 275 Posts

I don't like washi tape. I'm not a fan of distressed or grunge style. Those featureless people are not me, either. I'm not a fan of stick people, nor do I like anything that looks like a four year old drew it (unless, of course, it's a drawing a four year old did for ME, then it's wonderful).
I have tons of ribbons, glitter, buttons, and charms. I do like them. Do I ever put any of them on a card? Hardly ever. Someone explain THAT to me!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2016, 07:13 PM   #85  
Inking Addict

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't love vintage, Victorian, frilly, messy, cutesy animals, multi-folds. I prefer Clean and Simple, and I do like colouring, glitter, florals, abstract shapes. I also don't "craft well with others". I need to concentrate and take my time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2016, 07:16 PM   #86  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Now that's interesting. I do better crafting with others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2016, 04:46 AM   #87  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 733 Likes on 355 Posts

Thought of another one. The Planner trend. Not saying it isnt fun/cute/whatever. Just not my thing.

I just rather be doing the things than decorating my planner talking about it, and how does that leave you enough room to write? I have big writing. Since I like to see month at a glance...I am always balancing between enough room to write and carrying a massive tomb as it is.

...and honestly I dont have the time to do that anyway. I have an anemic stash that needs my attention first.

I have been thinking lately though that some of the small images might be good for tags and making your own return address labels.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2016, 07:09 PM   #88  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate cards or sb pages with 87 (or so it seems) different colors and none of them "go" together. The pint, quart, gallon rule of color is a rule for a reason. Any additional colors need to be subordinate to the main three. Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. LOLDea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2016, 02:19 AM   #89  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't like using paints :S I always make a huge mess and get them all on me. Also don't like using ribbon or flat flowers because my in my opinion I just make the cards look worse with those. I don't use loose glitter except for chunky in my shaker cards, but love glitter card stock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2016, 03:28 AM   #90  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by StamperDeaView Post
I hate cards or sb pages with 87 (or so it seems) different colors and none of them "go" together. The pint, quart, gallon rule of color is a rule for a reason. Any additional colors need to be subordinate to the main three. Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. LOLDea
What is the pint quart gallon rule?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2016, 03:45 AM   #91  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 293 Likes on 115 Posts

The pint/quart/gallon rule is a way to have balance in the colors. You use one color in a large quantity (gallon), a second in a smaller amount (quart), and the third as an accent (pint). That way they work together as opposed to competing, since one will be dominant and the other two complimentary.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2016, 04:08 AM   #92  
Watercolor Wizard

That makes sense. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2016, 05:18 AM   #93  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

It's a handy idea about proportion someone came up with for scrapbooking or card making, I believe? I hadn't read about it in color or design books or articles, or mentioned by people who work with color in other areas. Not that I don't miss things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2016, 07:41 AM   #94  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by StamperDeaView Post
Agreed - cards with mis-match colors always look like someone just used a bunch of scraps laying around on their desk. LOL But I do know that a lot of people struggle with colors. :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2016, 12:51 PM   #95  
Stampin' Fool

Received 35 Likes on 6 Posts

Non-generous angel policies -- unless we're talking about a well-known licensed character/brand (Mickey Mouse, Snoopy, Star Wars), I shouldn't have to do anything special to sell cards stamped with your hearts, seashells, sentiments, etc. (lol, I've never sold a single card)

Stickers -- not sure why

Glitter glue/Stickles -- reminds me of elementary school, and it sometimes puckers the paper

Fussy cutting -- I want my edges to look perfect

Border punches -- hard to keep everything straight, and dies are so much easier

Fancy edge scissors -- ditto, hard to keep everything straight

Cartoon people -- I like cute animals and objects, e.g., veggies with smiley faces, but I just can't get excited about most hand drawn people

lol, I love pineapples, especially Hero Arts' new color layering pineapple set. I also love flower stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2016, 02:17 PM   #96  
Rubber Obsessor

I hate the look of ripped paper on cards when the edges are all frayed and when people watercolor and then splash water to create random dots. I know they are styles, but I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2016, 04:21 PM   #97  
Proud Fan Club Member

I agree about Angel policies. Esp very fussy ones. Either say yes or no. I can live with no. And put it on the packaging. And dont have it hidden 16 layers down in some weird corner of your site.

My new peeve-suddenly I am getting emails from Joe smoo telling me an order has been shipped. That's nice. WTH are you? How about the name of the company? God forbid I have 2 orders going at one time. I guess this is a new trend in being more personal...but come on. Give me the company name!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2016, 07:29 PM   #98  
Watercolor Wizard

I guess I'm not that familiar with fussy angel policies. Can you give some examples?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2016, 08:16 PM   #99  
Stampin' Fool

Received 35 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
I guess I'm not that familiar with fussy angel policies. Can you give some examples?
Stampin Up requires you to use one of their special "limited license" stamps on any card you sell with their images. See end of #2:
Angel Policy - Stampin' Up!

Wplus9 and Hero Arts don't want you to sell more than 50 items with the same image, and they would like you to include their copyright information:
Angel Policy
https://heroarts.com/angel-policy/

The Ton wants you to send them an email letting them know that you will be using their images in your crafts for sale:
Angel Policy ? The Ton

I much prefer Papertrey Ink, Mama Elephant, My Favorite Things, Avery Elle , Essentials by Ellen, and Concord and 9th's angel policies:
https://www.papertreyink.com/angel-policy
Policies | Mama Elephant
Angel Policy
Policies l Avery Elle
Service
Angel Policy - Concord & 9th

Altenew is somewhere in between at
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2016, 06:31 AM   #100  
Proud Fan Club Member

Thanks Elizabeth. Yes there can be all kinds of conditions. Hop on your left foot while hand stamping on the third Tues of the month....

Ok no, not that silly, but one of them once said you could only use their product on a card. Um excuse me? I am not on your DT. (Now they changed to a no policy)

The limit on an image doesn't make me happy. I am never clear on that-is the 50 literal to the image or to a design with the image? ie There are stamps that I can think of many ways to use it...let's say the limit is 50. If I think of 10 ways to use it, I can only make 5 of each? Or I can do 50 of each?

Sometimes with that I get cranky and have dreams of taking each pc of a set and making 50 cards with it. Even if a person would not recognize it...like some little random flower.

Some of them are wide open-make as many you want-have a party-hey, send us one to see what you're up to! I like those best!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2016, 06:45 AM   #101  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Thanks Elizabeth. Yes there can be all kinds of conditions. Hop on your left foot while hand stamping on the third Tues of the month....

Ok no, not that silly, but one of them once said you could only use their product on a card. Um excuse me? I am not on your DT. (Now they changed to a no policy)

The limit on an image doesn't make me happy. I am never clear on that-is the 50 literal to the image or to a design with the image? ie There are stamps that I can think of many ways to use it...let's say the limit is 50. If I think of 10 ways to use it, I can only make 5 of each? Or I can do 50 of each?

Sometimes with that I get cranky and have dreams of taking each pc of a set and making 50 cards with it. Even if a person would not recognize it...like some little random flower.

Some of them are wide open-make as many you want-have a party-hey, send us one to see what you're up to! I like those best!
I think once you have paid them for their stamp, it ought to be yours to do with as you please. You paid for it. They sold it to you. Their control of the image ends there.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2016, 08:25 AM   #102  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I totally agree about the "fussy angel policies". I haven't really sold any cards (yet), but I've thought about it. And trying to keep track of all the angel policies is one of the things holding me back. I understand why they have to have them, but it does make things complicated for someone who uses products from lots of different companies.

One thing I've wondered about... if the policy says something like "must give credit for image" (such as SU's stamp), does that mean that I have to stamp or write the info on each and every card itself? Or is it acceptable to maybe use a label on the plastic sleeve that I put the card in?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2016, 03:16 PM   #103  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm
Vintage Lover

Received 367 Likes on 269 Posts

I don't like those images of children with the big eyes..they creep me out! Not a big fan of the Magnolia people either....that being said unlike a lot of you I really like people stamps..not sure why I'm attracted to them but I am. Flowers are popular here and while they are nice they're not "all that"...just my humble opinion ;)

I don't care to do all the fancy fold type cards...they're just too fussy for me and I'd rather spend my time creating something else , a vintage collage for example. I know a lot of you don't like collages..too many embellishments, too much stuff but it's a style I embrace. (Note the title under my avatar)...

As one of the Mixability challenge hostesses...I'm with Lydia who said you should give it a try..doesn't have to be messy...I'm hosting this Friday..check it out. My samples this time are not very messy or fussy...just saying..try it you might like it :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2016, 03:44 PM   #104  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaddictView Post
I finally thought of something I really really dislike: Bible Journaling. I just don't get it. When i journal i use words in a notebook with lined or unlined paper. I just can't get into the idea of stamping or drawing pictures in my bible. Some people say they have a separate bible for journaling but if you can't read the words that you are journaling about what's the point?
I journal in my bible with paint, stamping, stickers and die cuts and I DO NOT cover the words. I know that some do, but I can't do that.

Journaling can be done in many ways. Just writing in a notebook I would call keeping a diary, not journaling. The journaling aspect comes from the idea of travelers and scholars that kept/keep a journal. They didn't just write in it, they also drew or painted sketches of whatever they were experiencing or studying.

As for doing that in the Bible. Many creative people have spent more time studying their Bible since they've started journaling in them. It's a type of devotional. So it helps many Christ Followers gain a closer relationship with Jesus. I know it's not for everyone, but hopefully that clarifies for you why some people do enjoy it and the purpose.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2016, 03:47 PM   #105  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by contrapatView Post
I think once you have paid them for their stamp, it ought to be yours to do with as you please. You paid for it. They sold it to you. Their control of the image ends there.
So are you saying you have a right to reproduce the stamp and sell it? I would think not. There are limitations. The laws are there to protect the artists because there are a lot of greedy people out there stealing artwork and selling it as their own to people who love a bargain and don't care where it comes from.

But I do agree that you should be able to create handmade items to sell and some companies get a little obsessive in that area.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2016, 03:55 PM   #106  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Thought of another one. The Planner trend. Not saying it isnt fun/cute/whatever. Just not my thing.

I just rather be doing the things than decorating my planner talking about it, and how does that leave you enough room to write? I have big writing. Since I like to see month at a glance...I am always balancing between enough room to write and carrying a massive tomb as it is.

...and honestly I dont have the time to do that anyway. I have an anemic stash that needs my attention first.

I have been thinking lately though that some of the small images might be good for tags and making your own return address labels.
At first I thought the same thing. I use my computer and cell phone to remind me of everything I have to do. Although I do jot major events in my planner. I like to document my day/week, etc. And that is what I use my planner for. So for me it's a scrapbook. I jot down what I want to remember and add a few photos. I don't carry it around everywhere.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2016, 03:57 PM   #107  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

I think it is funny how some people call art journaling a trend. People have been art journaling for decades. Just because you may not see the latest paper crafting companies selling products for it doesn't mean it is being done by people. :o)

And although the trend is over, I will always love chevrons. I am glad however that mustaches are going away. I never understood that one.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2016, 05:51 PM   #108  
Watercolor Wizard

[QUOTE=Hoboken Paper;21315578]Stampin Up requires you to use one of their special "limited license" stamps on any card you sell with their images. See end of #2:
Angel Policy - Stampin' Up!

Wplus9 and Hero Arts don't want you to sell more than 50 items with the same image, and they would like you to include their copyright information:
Angel Policy
https://heroarts.com/angel-policy/

The Ton wants you to send them an email letting them know that you will be using their images in your crafts for sale:
Angel Policy ? The Ton

I much prefer Papertrey Ink, Mama Elephant, My Favorite Things, Avery Elle , Essentials by Ellen, and Concord and 9th's angel policies:
https://www.papertreyink.com/angel-policy
Policies | Mama Elephant
Angel Policy
Policies l Avery Elle
Service
Angel Policy - Concord & 9th

Altenew is somewhere in between at

Thank you for all of the info and subsequent conversation.
Off to read some angel policies now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2016, 06:37 PM   #109  
Watercolor Wizard

Well, they all seem to have the sentence about not photocopying, etc.
They also all seem to say that their artwork is copyrighted and that it can't be used for trademarks, logos, etc.
Many have a number you can't go over for sales. I don't think it applies if you want to stamp perhaps 100 Christmas cards to send out on your own.
After that, some of the lawyers went to town thinking of different scenarios that could happen, and some don't seem to worry about it. Stampin Up has a lot of outdated stuff pertaining to the defunct My Digital a Studio line.
I guess it is unfortunate, but they have to worry about things like that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2016, 06:39 PM   #110  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,553 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaddictView Post
I finally thought of something I really really dislike: Bible Journaling. I just don't get it. When i journal i use words in a notebook with lined or unlined paper. I just can't get into the idea of stamping or drawing pictures in my bible. Some people say they have a separate bible for journaling but if you can't read the words that you are journaling about what's the point?
One of the things I love most about art journaling, which I'm super new to - is the layering. You do many, many things that are covered up later, which is part of the process that is so fun. It's like burying a secret. I actually hosted the Mix-Ability challenge with one of these concepts recently - illegible writing.

It's therapeutic to have messages that are sort of hidden.

And the bible you're journaling in isn't your daily or study bible - it's an inspiration piece, I think.

But I know that doing anything to books freaks people out. There was practically a lynch mob after me when I altered a 25 cent used Nancy Drew book
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2016, 04:41 AM   #111  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 293 Likes on 115 Posts

On the topic of Angel policies: by and large, they are unenforceable. Consider how many stampers there are and how many creations they crank out and do the math on how much it would cost any company to pursue action against even a handful of them.

That being said, we are so very careful to give credit when we CASE a card - even if we've made significant changes to the original - that it seems to me common courtesy, even without an angel policy in place, to give credit where it's due. YOU did not draw or manufacture that image, so tell us who did!

As far as using a company's licensed copyright stamp - they can't make you do it, plain and simple. As long as you have anything remotely resembling the copyright symbol and the company name, or even just phrasing like "images by...", you're covered. If you're making a whole slew of things by that company, you might want to invest in the stamp just to avoid writer's cramp, though. Some companies (The Cat's Pajamas, Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps, Flourishes) include a tiny little copyright stamp right in their sets. Easy enough to just stamp it on the back of your creation and be done with it...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2016, 04:44 AM   #112  
Watercolor Wizard

Agreed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2016, 06:27 AM   #113  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Stamps and angel policies are "somewhat" similar to photograph usage. They're protected by copyright, whether or not the owner has applied for it, and if a company or owner wanted to go after someone, they could. Some will send a cease and desist letter.

When I purchased a photograph to use on my website, I was not allowed to use it on brochures without paying a much higher fee. I get it; the image is not mine; I'm paying to use it and the photographer owns it.

But stamps are made to be stamped. So it's confusing and frustrating.

I "think" if I ever sold cards, I'd sort angel policies from easiest to craziest. I wouldn't use the most restrictive/crazy-making. Then I'd abide by the most restrictive of the rest.

I'd keep a list of the unrestricted or easiest, too, to see if I could ever solely use those. (I tend to rarely use stamps from just one set; sentiment may be from one, a dot or tiny flower from another, the main image from a third, etc.)

Giving credit in a very tiny font on the back of a card wouldn't bother me. That said, this is all theoretical, so maybe I'm all wet. I've just thought about it given the complaints and concerns.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2016, 07:20 AM   #114  
Proud Fan Club Member

"But I know that doing anything to books freaks people out. There was practically a lynch mob after me when I altered a 25 cent used Nancy Drew book :grin:"-Lydia

That cracked me up. I was a HUGE fan as a teen. The books I had had B&W line drawings in them-I could have colored them with pencil! Never occurred to me! Those need to get back out in front of the kids along with the Hardy Boys. I know-it will be boring-no space ships or zombies but still...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2016, 07:22 AM   #115  

Quote:

"But I know that doing anything to books freaks people out. There was practically a lynch mob after me when I altered a 25 cent used Nancy Drew book :grin:"-Lydia

That cracked me up. I was a HUGE fan as a teen. The books I had had B&W line drawings in them-I could have colored them with pencil! Never occurred to me! Those need to get back out in front of the kids along with the Hardy Boys. I know-it will be boring-no space ships or zombies but still...
I still have my childhood collection of them - a few are missing. I loved them so much!

But I raid Half-Price Books constantly for art supplies, much to the dismay of book worshipers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2016, 08:08 AM   #116  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For me it's creating cards with 3-d items that you couldn't fit the card into a regular envelope, like those pretty roses and other flowers. I have plenty of them and love cards I see online made with them, but when I try adding them to my cards it just looks like they take the focus away from the design and I end up taking them off. I don't mind flatter embellishments that don't stand out so much.
Also not a fan of kids with large heads and barely any features. It just seems like something's missing. Bought a couple stamps a few years ago, used them once and sold them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2016, 10:31 AM   #117  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
I still have my childhood collection of them - a few are missing. I loved them so much!
I loved my Nancy Drew books. Had the whole set of Trixie Beldon books as well. Finally sold it to a used book store. Why don't they make Nancy Drew and the Hardy boys required reading? Maybe more kids would actually grow up READING instead of wearing their thumbs out on games.

As for using books for art projects? NOPE. Can't do it. I bought some paper that has "book text" and "book script" just so I can put those on my cards. There's no way I can rip pages out of an actual book.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2016, 10:50 AM   #118  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbrownView Post
I loved my Nancy Drew books. Had the whole set of Trixie Beldon books as well. Finally sold it to a used book store. Why don't they make Nancy Drew and the Hardy boys required reading? Maybe more kids would actually grow up READING instead of wearing their thumbs out on games.

As for using books for art projects? NOPE. Can't do it. I bought some paper that has "book text" and "book script" just so I can put those on my cards. There's no way I can rip pages out of an actual book.
It took me FOREVER to get over "Don't make marks in books". I do like to note in my cookbooks when I made something, if I altered the recipe, how we liked it, etc. It's a shame I don't have anyone to leave these to.

I loved Nancy Drew too!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2016, 03:57 PM   #119  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

I have at my disposal lots of very old but decrepit books. Some have no covers or are badly torn. Those I feel I can repurpose they have been well loved and using a page on a card makes me feel it is loved again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2016, 04:29 PM   #120  

Quote:

Yes but not my books Books I buy for a quarter at Half Priced Books.

You are officially designated a book worshiper.
Reply With Quote Likes