Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-07-2014, 10:26 AM   #81  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love seeing what others have created and love making the same cards. It's more relaxing to copy than to create on my own. Somedays though I want to use my own ideas and do. I used to post in the beginning but then you changed the allowable size of the downloads and you got too computer technical for me. I had daughter show me how, but it didn't stick. Need to pin her down to teach me again and write myself instructions. I loved looking through all the favorites each week but now it's more complicated. My computer doesn't highlight my location anymore and keeping track of what pictures I have seen and ones to view yet is so difficult. Is there a fix for that? I don't like that I have to click on each one to see it. Sorry to say but Pinterest is much easier to view and so I find I am using it more now than Splitcoast. I feel like a trader. I love SCS and it has more to offer, think it would help if I were more computer literate. I still come back often for the forums. specific galleries, buy/sell, technique tutorials, etc.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2014, 11:16 AM   #82  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,063 Likes on 818 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZ StamperView Post
I've been a member for several years but have never uploaded any of my cards. I did try once and it didn't work. I make a lot of cards so enjoy looking at this site for ideas or to see how others might have made cards using stamps I have. I usually scan my cards so I have a copy. My question - are we only allowed to upload card photos taken with cameras? Always nice to read comments from fellow stampers!

Whatever works for you to take a picture! Some people still use scanners, some people use their webcams. Nowadays people use their phones or iPads, too
There is an issue with people using anything anything with an iOS (iPhones, iPads) because all file names default to something generic like "image" or "photo". So if people upload two photos at the same time both called image, our servers don't know the difference. That can be resolved by saving them elsewhere and giving them distinguishing names. But so long as only one photo is uploaded per day that's not a problem, as far as I know. Apart from that there are no issues that I am aware of.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2014, 11:18 AM   #83  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,063 Likes on 818 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaF409View Post
I love seeing what others have created and love making the same cards. It's more relaxing to copy than to create on my own. Somedays though I want to use my own ideas and do. I used to post in the beginning but then you changed the allowable size of the downloads and you got too computer technical for me. I had daughter show me how, but it didn't stick. Need to pin her down to teach me again and write myself instructions. I loved looking through all the favorites each week but now it's more complicated. My computer doesn't highlight my location anymore and keeping track of what pictures I have seen and ones to view yet is so difficult. Is there a fix for that? I don't like that I have to click on each one to see it. Sorry to say but Pinterest is much easier to view and so I find I am using it more now than Splitcoast. I feel like a trader. I love SCS and it has more to offer, think it would help if I were more computer literate. I still come back often for the forums. specific galleries, buy/sell, technique tutorials, etc.
Have you tried uploading since we got our new uploader last year? It's way easier to use, it pretty much walks you through the process. And size isn't really an issue since we got the new system ;).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #84  
Rubber Obsessor

Oh, my goodness. You may have opened a can of worms. lol..My additions are slow coming because of my computer skills. Lacking for sure. Either can't find the pictures or have trouble getting them where I thought I was putting them. Learning but slowly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2014, 12:26 PM   #85  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I need to contact Dell to figure out how to scan my cards to my computer. Sometimes Splitcoast says my file is too big.....it gets discouraging. Need to work on it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2014, 12:38 PM   #86  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I know just enough about digital cameras to take photos and have them printed at a local store...but not enough about using this computer to do Internet sharing. And every time I want to think about learning how to share photos, it seems to mean buying yet another piece of equipment, another program, another and another and another. Thanks to all of you who are not intimidated by this thing called Internet!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2014, 12:45 PM   #87  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love this website but have not made a gallery. I put my creations on Pinterest. It is easy. I would like a gallery on here for Silhouette Cameo or Portrait creations. I also pin creations from SCS so I can easily see them again. I love seeing the wonderful creativity of paper crafters!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2014, 04:13 PM   #88  
Rubber Obsessor

I make tons of cards, but just don't take pictures of them or load them because in the past it has been such a hassle. I loved photo shop, but we don't have a new version. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to easily load the pictures from a digital camera?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2014, 07:15 AM   #89  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 667 Likes on 419 Posts

for all of you considering starting a gallery Sue started a second thread here about uploading and such.

Help for those who want to upload pics to the gallery by gregzgurl at Splitcoaststampers

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2014, 07:23 AM   #90  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Thanks, Stacy

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2014, 07:39 AM   #91  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi, May I jump in here. I haven't uploaded cards or scrapbook pages for quite awhile. I, too, was a little in awe at the beautiful cards I see and realize mine are not anywhere that pretty. My kids have all told me to worry about comments and they love my cards. Each one of us has a different tecnique for our cards. Mine are more simple but I have been told pretty. I had a fear of posting them because I thought someone might not like them. I finally realized I see cards I don't particularly care for but I have not seen any 'ugly' card. I figure if I like them and the people that receive like them, then why worry about it. So I am going to be posting cards again. I have some waiting that I made for challenges I need to post.
zipper28
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2014, 07:41 AM   #92  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a question. Lady of Cards mentioned she puts her creations of pinterest. Please tell me how to do that, I haven't figured out yet. Thanks zipper28
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2014, 07:56 AM   #93  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by zipper28View Post
I have a question. Lady of Cards mentioned she puts her creations of pinterest. Please tell me how to do that, I haven't figured out yet. Thanks zipper28
I always pin mine to Pinterest from either my blog or gallery so there is background information. The problem with loading directly to Pinterest is that your "pin" could get labelled a dead/deadend pin. Pinterest will remove "dead/deadend" pins too, there is a reporting function. So be aware. Pinterest users expect to be able to click for further information.

So that said, go to Pinterest and there should be a "+" beside your user ID. Click on that and it will give you options to upload your pin, click, upload from your computer should come up and just search for your photo and pin it. Best of luck!

Last edited by RiverIsis; 05-08-2014 at 10:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2014, 10:16 AM   #94  
Insane Embellisher

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmmm! What keeps me from posting!
Well, for a start I guess you can say I'm too lazy to write the information required when I upload the card.

Way back when I used my digital camera, I had to download on the desk computer the pictures, then upload them in the gallery. No problem, but, yes there's a but, most often times I didn't have info on supplies.

I gave up taking pictures with my digital camera and started using my iPad.
I can take pictures or movies in a bling of an eye, I love it and yes I think I can upload cards or other projects in the gallery, but typing takes forever, tapping one letter at the time is so frastrating.

Lydia, any suggestions??? :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2014, 10:23 AM   #95  
Insane Embellisher

Another reason why I don't use my desk computer is......... I hate Windows 8. There I said it.
It's so confusing for this old brain, so my iPads are my salvation.
I keep one in my craft room and another attached surgically to me, ha ha ha.....

Last edited by Craftlover; 05-08-2014 at 10:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2014, 10:47 AM   #96  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Interesting thread, and I've enjoyed reading it.

I've been a member here for quite a few years, and I have another thought about why some members may not post their cards in the gallery as frequently as they used to when I first started.

When I first became a member here, we didn't have quite so many other internet forums to compete with for people's time and attention.

Now we have Facebook and Twitter, which many folks follow and spend lots of time on.

There is also Pinterest, and probably lots of others that I don't even know about.

We all only have so much time and energy to devote to this hobby, and there are lots of things clamoring for attention these days.

You are so right. The technology is such that we spread our selves thin, trying to see everything.
I like SCS site for several reasons, the crafters are helpful and very friendly, the gallery inspirational, and if I like a background folder in a card, I can be sure to find the name or number. Paper, inks, stamps, ribbon etc is a personal preference and can be changed.

Pinterest is great with beautiful cards but no information most of the time, so for me it's useless if I don't have the info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2014, 11:02 AM   #97  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by CandidaView Post
I just started "making cards"... actually, I have only made 1 card! I felt the rush to make one for an online friend who had just lost her dad. I took pictures of it with my cell phone (after all, it was my 1st card!), but the pictures came out awful!

I am using the excuse that I am still "gathering supplies", but the truth is I miss having been away from online craft communities for a very, very long time.

I also stitch and embroider, so if anyone wants to see my Flickr page, be aware there is no paper, ink or stamps! :eek:
I love to embroider and stitch also, I'll be lost without it, it's my first love.
Your work is gorgeous, my mom always said are blessed hands to create such beauty.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2014, 02:26 PM   #98  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: in sunny Florida on the wonderful west coast. Venice FL

I've been a lurker for about 18 years but don't blog or have a gallery. I do comment sometimes but that depends upon how much time I have. I also know I wouldn't still be stamping if it weren't for SCS and all the ideas and education I derive from visiting the site every week. I follow a good number of blogs, also. I do a lot of CASEing but also use materials I have on hand or using the gist of the card layout or design to create my own. I make a lot of cards having come from a large family. And since I've spent so much money on supplies I refuse to buy store-bought; also because I know (or at least they say so) the recipients would be disappointed if they didn't get a handmade card. I also get tickled when someone returns my cards because they don't/can't keep them and they can't bear to toss them out. I'm always glad to get them back - I keep a computer log to keep from duplicating what I send to who and why, so I'm always looking for fresh ideas....SCS is where I get them and everyone involved with this site is so appreciated!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2014, 01:24 PM   #99  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

I do make cards though not to the extent of others here-I am still pretty slow at it being new. I am past low tech to cave girl. I would have NO idea how to do the whole gallery thing...and honestly-I don't have time either. It can take me days to look at the weekly mail post...to start, and then over the course of days I go through the parts of it-like a newspaper I suppose lol.

The same way I dont have a blog, I dont go near Pinterest/have a board, etc etc. This is pretty much the only community site I look at.

Esp as we enter the warn weather season, I will have less time to be online.

I just try to offer info when I can and support at times. I am new to this site and still dont fully understand it. I find it friendly and helpful-so I try to give back

To be honest, I dont know where people find the time to make as many cards as they do! I am very jealous.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2014, 02:36 PM   #100  
Rubber Obsessor

i use to post (cards) but its so slow i rather post to pinterest. is that a bad word on this site? i want it to just go to my album not all the questions and then you are done and its to big. if i remember i change my camera but other wise all that work and can't post the picture. i am on pinterest 80% getting ideas and 20% here. i make cards a few times a month but in 6 months i will be retired and i plan on making more. hope that answers some of questions. i don't know how some of these girls make two or three a day for their blogs, thats wild.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2014, 02:48 PM   #101  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
To be honest, I dont know where people find the time to make as many cards as they do! I am very jealous.
I have more time 'cause I have a job where I don't have to bring work home, and I've got no pets, kids, or plants (much less time on maintenance). And I don't cook, being willing to eat cereals, breads, fruits, veggies, etc. (things that don't need to be cooked).

That said, it takes me hours and hours just to make one card!! But I love it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2014, 03:18 PM   #102  
Stazon Splitcoast

The questions are there but aren't mandetory and I have yet to have a picture rejected on size since the new system came in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2014, 03:30 PM   #103  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by jukieView Post
I haven't up loaded in a long time, not because I don't want to share, but because I tend to create at the last minute and don't have time to photograph it, and I have normally given it away when I think, oh I should have taken a photo of that...
Yup -- Me too!
Up until about 6 + months ago I always had my cards done well ahead of the time they were needed. Now I finish them at the last minute and have no time to take a picture and up load them before I give them away.

Plus lately a lot of my enthusiasm for card making has vanished .
I am doing other things
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2014, 03:31 PM   #104  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
I have more time 'cause I have a job where I don't have to bring work home, and I've got no pets, kids, or plants (much less time on maintenance). And I don't cook, being willing to eat cereals, breads, fruits, veggies, etc. (things that don't need to be cooked).

That said, it takes me hours and hours just to make one card!! But I love it!!
Isn't that the truth!! Sometimes I wonder why I spend so much time making cards, just one does take an advantage of at least an hour for me too!

But I must say, in a pinch (like sympathy cards, because I just can't seem to be able to make those). Or for someone that does not appreciate my cards, I Buy a Card!!! Yep, I sure do!!:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2014, 03:39 PM   #105  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
Isn't that the truth!! Sometimes I wonder why I spend so much time making cards, just one does take an advantage of at least an hour for me too!

But I must say, in a pinch (like sympathy cards, because I just can't seem to be able to make those). Or for someone that does not appreciate my cards, I Buy a Card!!! Yep, I sure do!!:p
I threw in the towel on trying to make male cards that I was pleased with .
I buy the guy's cards and they don't care one way or the other
My enjoyment when I do make cards is coloring, making flowers and other foo foo for cards .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2014, 06:21 PM   #106  
Proud Fan Club Member

I want to say I'm sorry...my post sounded like I was saying something negative about others who blog, post, etc. I am not! If there are people out there who can do all that...god bless them. And again, I am jealous of the energy, the smarts, etc.

Sometimes trying to not ramble for 14 pages I get too short. :P

I think we have to remember than when we watch tutorials on a card...that was prepped for presentation so I am betting it takes a LOT less time than when it was originally designed. No average person makes a good card in 8-10 mins from scratch off the top of their head! Even the 10 cards in 20 mins things...those were figured out first.

Heck it would take me longer than that to cut/prep the parts of a sketch someone gives me. lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2014, 07:24 PM   #107  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

I want to say I'm sorry...my post sounded like I was saying something negative about others who blog, post, etc. I am not! If there are people out there who can do all that...god bless them. And again, I am jealous of the energy, the smarts, etc.

I think we have to remember than when we watch tutorials on a card...that was prepped for presentation so I am betting it takes a LOT less time than when it was originally designed. No average person makes a good card in 8-10 mins from scratch off the top of their head! Even the 10 cards in 20 mins things...those were figured out first.

Heck it would take me longer than that to cut/prep the parts of a sketch someone gives me. lol.

No worries on my part. I don't blog, I don't know how and I'll not take the time to learn. It takes me a day to make a card, and it can take up to a week for another. I'm retired and have the time but I like doing other things besides making cards. I garden, read, flower arranging, knitt, crochet, embroider, hence my avatar "Craftlover".
I like learning new crafts and I have done beading, ceramics, sewing.

Enjoy what you're doing no matter how long it takes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2014, 07:32 PM   #108  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

You're doing fine. I didn't find your post negative. And yeah there are a lot of crafters that only show perfection (I'm not one of them). Don't let it intimidate and participate at the level that is comfortable to you.

I know when I started there were a lot of "perfect" cardmakers around. I think they have all burnt out. I'm still bumbling along as happy as anything because I wasn't hung up on perfection and post counts and believe me I nearly got sucked in and felt like a failure. Since when is putting your time and talent into a card a failure? Just do what you comfortable with and that is fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2014, 08:36 PM   #109  
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

Received 379 Likes on 324 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ldumont999View Post
Its not that I mind sharing that info - its that I usually don't KNOW what it is. I am blessed to have tons of paper. I keep most scraps (one bin for each color) and try to work with the scraps to create cards - which are obviously smaller than scrapbook pages. So I don't know what the manufacturer is of most paper. I usually list the inks & markers because I only use copic markers and compatible inks. I have dozens of embossing folders by various manufacturers. Cuttlebug folders have the manufacturers stamp on the - but others don't. Sure, if someone asked I'd tell them what I know - but most of the time I just DON'T know. I think that is what frustrates me. :-)
I type things like "scrap red cs" "old embossing folder" "unknown stamp" "random sequins" when I don't know. When I actually upload, which isn't that often.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things don’t always spoil the good things, or make them unimportant. - The Eleventh Doctor
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2014, 06:46 AM   #110  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I threw in the towel on trying to make male cards that I was pleased with .
I buy the guy's cards and they don't care one way or the other
My enjoyment when I do make cards is coloring, making flowers and other foo foo for cards .
Yes, I do agree, guy cards are a BIG challenge. But I have managed to make a few:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2014, 11:38 AM   #111  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Wavejumper, I also did not find your post negative at all. Your comment about time leapt out at me because I have just returned from visiting my sister and she does not have any time at all compared to me. They live a high-energy young-people life (four high-energy children, home-schooling, active in politics, active in everything), and my own life in comparison is very full of free time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2014, 04:16 PM   #112  
Proud Fan Club Member

Thanks Sometimes I read something I post and I think geez...I didnt mean it to sound like that!

Exactly Sophie. 30 years ago that was me...if I could write it on a calendar, I got it done. That calendar was like a part of me. Now...I usually forget to look at the calendar for birthdays, etc! Oy. What I miss about it? Time moved slower then which probably sounds backwards but is true.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #113  
Stazon Splitcoast

I didn't think your post sounded negative at all, either, and I TOTALLY get what you're saying about time moving slower when you've got tons of things going on all the time. I have six children and, when they were little, I got SO MANY things done! All of the school/church/neighborhood/family stuff PLUS sewing most of my kids' clothes (and many of my own) PLUS cross-stitch PLUS tole painting PLUS Christmas crafts once a month with my best friend, etc. Of course, there was no SCS, Pinterest, Facebook, cell phone...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2014, 05:29 PM   #114  
Stazon Splitcoast

Didn't get Mother's Day or Anniversary card for my DH done this year!!! LOL! Better get my act in gear!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2014, 07:58 PM   #115  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 131 Likes on 46 Posts

I read & post if I can contribute or if the spirit moves, but rarely upload anything to anywhere. I scrapbook like an engineer. Probably stamp the same way - for SURE not like an artist. You know case means copy, right? That would be me! I don't think I ever had an original creative thought. . . well, except in the kitchen, maybe! And I cook WAY better than I stamp.

Good question!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2014, 02:46 AM   #116  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaBabeView Post
I read & post if I can contribute or if the spirit moves, but rarely upload anything to anywhere. I scrapbook like an engineer. Probably stamp the same way - for SURE not like an artist. You know case means copy, right? That would be me! I don't think I ever had an original creative thought. . . well, except in the kitchen, maybe! And I cook WAY better than I stamp.

Good question!
"Creative" covers a lot of territory, not just in the "artistic" realm, so if yours is in the kitchen, kudos to you! My mother took a very creative approach to raising six children, but never picked up a paintbrush or any other art medium - her creativity showed up in birthday parties and Easter egg hunts, things she sewed for me and my sisters, answers to sticky situations, entertaining us on long car trips, coordinating a bizillion details, etc. Creativity - wherever it shows up - is something to celebrate!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2014, 03:24 PM   #117  
Embossing Fanatic

I've never started a gallery here. I have some of my work on Facebook and Pinterest. I am guilty of looking at cards and not posting a comment. I am seriously going to make an effort to comment on cards I like. I know it can make someones day just seeing a positive comment. I don't follow anyone in particular on SCS. I usually look for a card by subject, pick out ones I like, and then try to make something like it. I love making cards and favor boxes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2014, 11:44 PM   #118  
Glitter Queen

Default Lovely Work

Quote:

Originally Posted by CandidaView Post
I just started "making cards"... actually, I have only made 1 card! I felt the rush to make one for an online friend who had just lost her dad. I took pictures of it with my cell phone (after all, it was my 1st card!), but the pictures came out awful!

I am using the excuse that I am still "gathering supplies", but the truth is I miss having been away from online craft communities for a very, very long time.

I also stitch and embroider, so if anyone wants to see my Flickr page, be aware there is no paper, ink or stamps! :eek:
I just visited your Flickr site. Your work is gorgeous. I learned the basics of Brazilian embroidery about 25 years ago but never really mastered it. I constantly fought with the rayon threads and lost most of those battles. I still have my supplies though as well as some wonderful books that were home published by someone who was promoting the technique in my area (Northern California). If you would be interested in having these items, please PM me. I will figure out how to get them to you.

Marilyn (aka Maleina)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2014, 03:18 PM   #119  
Glitter Queen

I'll say it--I'm 'intimidated' by the beauty of all the cards and projects...It's one of those, My work is not good enough'...And I love this site! I learn so many new techniques, and such...doesn't mean I do all the techniques, but it's great to learn, no? So, I'm a lurker. Maybe I'll post one day some of my work. Maybe. Until then:
My name is Laura and I am a forum lurker.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2014, 03:49 PM   #120  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hello Laura!
Reply With Quote Likes