Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-22-2014, 09:30 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Feelling Overwhelmed

I've pretty much figured out that I don't have enough supplies for making cards. lol The problem is, I don't know what I should have to start with. I can't figure out all the differences between the various inks and what to use when, I only have one shade of any pencil, marker, or chalk and I still don't get the coloring and shading techniques. Also, I really can't afford some of the things that I see alot of people using, such as Copic markers. What basics should a newbie start with who doesn't have a lot of money? What are the differences in the various inks and when should I use them? What are re-inkers and what do they do? Do I have to use a background on each card and if so, which ones are easiest to do? Is there any kind of card that looks good with a lot of different color inks and papers because I don't seem to have too much that actually goes together out of the little I do have. I want to start stamping but I'm feeling very overwhelmed and frustrated right now.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2014, 10:35 AM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default beginner

It sure is overwhelming isn't it?
Here is what I would say- get a momento black ink pad, stazon stamp cleaner and scrub pad, if you have an acmoore near you and a coupon, they have a huge set of colored pencils for 14.99- not the best, but it's a start. Hobby Lobby- I love their paper for beginners because they have it all laid out in pattern families, so you can get 3 sheets of coordinating paper (get when on sale) enough to make at least 6 cards. Michaels has 110lb card stock in large packages for 12.99 (coupon) white, and cream for the base- it's the best! for colored cards I use Stampin up because of the great thickness- you can then use other paper for the layers etc.
a good trimmer, I LOVE the atg gun- it will save you money in the long run- get tape for it at the tapedepot online. Glue Pen, pop dots and some embossing folders as and when you can- adds a lot of umph for little money. hope this helps a little
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2014, 10:45 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

First off not everyone colours in their stamping. But if you think that is what you would like to do you could start with colour book style - that is just one colour for each area and no shading. True it does not look as intense but it is a good starting place.

You should probably look at some of the cards in the galleries to see what sort of style you actually like. Then search for tutorials that will help you achieve that look.

There are many cards which utilize patterned paper for backgrounds, that means you don't have to "create" your own background just coordinate the patterned paper to your colour of cardstock and go from there.

Inks to a great extent are personal choice. I have my favorites but they may not be what you want or need. I believe there is a thread somewhere on here that talks about different inks, maybe you could track that down. You should be using permanent ink if you intend to colour with a wet medium. Re-inkers are just bottles of ink that you can use to re-ink your ink pads. They can also be used for many different techniques of which you can find different tutorials for here on SCS.

My advice is start slow and add only as you need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Johopkins, welcome. Take a deep breath. It will be okay. I am wondering where you live and if you are interested in a stampin buddy. Don't know if you prefer to play on your own and learn from the web or if you would prefer to learn in person. When I am on my laptop I can add a link to a great video where you learn about ink options. Or...you can google darlene devries ink comparison video.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2014, 11:04 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I didn't think to ask but do you have a local paper craft store near you. Many of them offer classes. And they would also help you choose ink for whatever it is you want to do. The smaller stores usually know their business.

As craftsrlb said you really only need a permanent black ink to start stamping. And the Stazon cleaner is the best for permanent ink clean up.

The big box stores are good for bargains but I'm not sure how knowledgeable the staff would be.

I own a couple of tape guns and they sit unused because I personally cannot control them. I use rolls of tape and love Sookwang. You will find many things are personal choice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2014, 11:10 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

The advice you're getting is great- especially about finding the sort of card style that appeals to you. As well as the gallery,Pinterest is another great place to get ideas. When you know what you like, then you can always check out that persons blog to see what supplies they used. Then you can start to make a list of what you need.
This link, to Ellen Hutsons blog, has a good explanation of different inkpads and their uses.
Personally, I use very few images that need to be coloured in- I'm just not very good at it, it never looks like I want, so I avoid it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2014, 04:05 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I agree with what all of the others have said, but just wanted to throw out a couple of suggestions:
  • Hobby Lobby has great sales, and frequently puts the entire Stampabilities/Paper Studio line on sale for 50% off. The line includes embossing folders, stamps, papers, embellishments, and more, so it's a great way to get some basics on the cheap.
  • Bic MarkIt markers come in a variety of packs ranging from 8 colors to 36 colors. I've seen the smaller sets at WalMart and many craft and/or office supply stores, but I've only seen the 36-marker set at Target. They are great (alcohol-based) markers to practice coloring with and are similar to Copics behavior-wise. Fairly cheap, too - the largest set is in the $20 range, and the others are less, obviously.
  • I could live happily ever after without EVER using patterned paper. I use it because I have it, but I often use vaious colors of cardstock to layer (especially with embossing), or stamp my own backgrounds.
  • A decent trimmer and decent adhesive will keep you from going crazy, and everything else can be added in as you go. They don't have to be top-of-the-line, but accuracy (for the trimmer) and dependability (for the adhesive) are kind of important.
  • I personally HATE StazOn cleaner (and StazOn ink, too, truth be told). I use baby wipes most of the time to clean stamps, unless I actually use StazOn in a momentary lapse of reason and do a project that really needs it, lol... Just make sure to get the alcohol-free kind. There are also recipes out there to make your own stamp cleaner. I believe they involve baby shampoo and glycerin, if memory serves...
  • I use Memento Tuxedo Black for outline images I'm going to color with alcohol inks (like Bics, Sharpies, Spectrum Noir, Prismacolor, Copic, etc.), Versafine Onyx Black (or a couple of other Versafine colors) for crisp sentiments or solid stamps, and a variety of dye inks for everything else. Personal preference, really, and you could check out the comparisons listed above for guidance.
  • If you want to make cheap colored pencils look considerably more professional, try using them with mineral spirits (any brand) or even baby oil (I've tried it - it totally works) and employing the Gamsol Magic technique . I use Swisspers cosmetic applicators (they're sort of like Q-tips with one pointy end and one flat, wide end) instead of blending stumps, 'cuz I'm too lazy to do anything but toss them when I'm done...

Whichever way you go, and whatever you decide to acquire, make sure to create an index and update it EVERY TIME you buy something new! It will keep you informed as to what you have, where it is, etc., and basically eliminates duplicate buying. Anyone who has tried to index AFTER they had oodles of stuff will tell you that they wish someone had said something early on to save them such headaches! There are lots of threads in the Mission Organization forum on all of that...

Welcome to the most enabling, obsessing crafting forum I'm personally aware of! Glad to have company - the more the merrier! :p

Last edited by gregzgurl; 03-22-2014 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: I keep forgetting things, lol :)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2014, 06:17 PM   #8  
Glitter Queen

Default Thanks!

I want to thank everyone for their help and advise. The only craft store that I have nearby is Joann's, but they have very limited stamping supplies and I've never seen any classes for anything offered there. Even if they did have classes, I work 2 jobs which makes it hard to attend anything like that. I don't know of anyone else who stamps, so I'd love to have a stamping buddy but that's not possible either. That's why I have to rely on the wonderful people here who are more experienced to answer my questions and help me. I appreciate each and every one of you who has taken the time to answer my questions and give advice. If anyone thinks of any other links or help, please feel free to pm me.

Jo
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
creativechica (04-08-2024)
Old 03-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Great list and I agree with most of it! I have been collecting and using supplies for over a decade now.

It is tempting to buy loads but on hindsight I wish I had acknowledged what sort of cards I like to send. There is no point in me having a huge collection of floral stamps when 75% of my cards are for young men who aren't florists or gardeners...

Pinterest is your friend. Don't just pin what you like make a not of why you like it. Color. Patterns. Etc. You will soon start to see what speaks to you.

Also check out the ways to make do thread and don't think you need premium and/or craft products to create beautiful cards. Student grade coloring mediums are fine.

I follow Thefrugalcrafter's Weblog | Groovy craft projects, crafty recipes and other artsy stuff. . Now I warn you if you watch her videos she has a lot of supplies however she has been collecting her supplies for around 30 years. If you watch her videos she is really good at giving alternative frugal ideas for product. Now don't get me wrong she will use higher end at times but she explains why and how to achieve a similar look. She even raids her kids' craft supplies. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2014, 08:50 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

You've been given some great information. It's rough starting out, finding what card styles interest you - and they will change, trust me!!! You mentioned Joann's, do you not have any local stamp stores that offer classes? If not a couple of options might be Googling "Cardmaking YouTube videos" and see what you get. The samples may be diverse enough for you to pick and choose what you like. For example when I got into stamping over 20 years ago, stamping with pigment inks and using embossing powders were the big rage, and I hardly colored anything!!

Another option might be some online classes like My Creative Classroom, or Color Me Creative Classroom. They are more independent learning, but very helpful. It gives you a chance to try something without a huge investment.

Best of luck, hopefully you can find a class close by and see what really peaks your interest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2014, 05:38 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Welcome!

Are you sure the only store you have nearby is Joann's? You might have a hidden gem and don't even know it. I have a local scrapbook store that everyone knows about in my area and some come from 2 hours away to get to it, but a new beading studio is also getting into the paper-crafts.

Then check around for local stamping groups or demonstrators either via google or facebook. Never feel pressured to buy everything just go to learn,ask questions and have fun. You might meet a stamping buddy.

I have a nice little stash but when i started 13 years ago it was some ink some stamps and crappy cardstock. Bit by bit learning through SCS and a few other boards a learned more. My first favourite technique i learned through here was the Gamsol magic pencil technique Sue mentioned above. Excellent for getting rid of those pesky pencil lines.
You don't need to get the expensive artist grade pencils, it works with crayola pencils too. I got into Copic markers a few years back when my budget allowed for it, and now I'm back to collecting 1 or 2 here and there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2014, 07:52 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

From experience, my advice would be to start very simply. Don't think you have to buy everything to make a great card. I love to look at the CAS thread every Sunday. There are some wonderful CAS stampers whose work is showcased there every week. Choose one or two and use what you have to make a similar card. You'll soon find what you like and what just doesn't work for you. Good luck. Stamping is a wonderful hobby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2014, 08:30 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll just mention another good source for some inexpensive coloring options - Walmart carries the Cra-Z-Art brand and has a set of 72 colored pencils for around $6 or $7. They work really well with the Gamsol Magic technique mentioned earlier. If you don't have a problem with ordering online, watch Joann's sales for when they have 40% off all stamping supplies - they carry Memento inks in sets of dewdrops. These are small inkpads; it gives you a chance to get lots of colors for not such a huge investment. (They might have these in your store as well, I'm guessing not, since you said they don't have much for stamping). Hobby Lobby also has an online store, and the online store runs those same 50% off sales.

Also, get yourself a watercolor brush. The waterbrushes with the reservoir are nice, but a regular brush used with a cup of water will accomplish the same thing for less $$. Then you can use pretty much any brand of inexpensive watercolor markers for watercoloring - you scribble the marker on a piece of plastic or an old cd and pick it up with the brush to paint. You don't need the finest brush with bristles made from the hair of a unicorn's eyelashes, but you do want something better than what they put in those sets for kids

And mostly, like the previous posters have said, don't get crazy buying anything until you know what kind of cards you like making. When I started, I bought TONS of patterned paper. The lovely designs called to me. I have since discovered that I have a terrible time using patterned paper on my cards - I make myself do it, but it's kind of like work. I've been using a lot of it to make envelopes now
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2014, 08:30 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 935 Likes on 856 Posts

So much great advise given. May I add one more? Try making a few cards that require nearly no stamping. They can be ones where you have an image of just a flow which needn't be colored but instead just stamped in black, or just stamp your greeting. I have a few examples of those type of cards on my blog so check me out. People here are always so helpful and we are all just a post away! Lots of luck to you and Enjoy ...it's a fabulous craft to get into.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2014, 08:37 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Probably the best advice you are getting here is DON'T feel you have to stock up on 'stuff' fast, and do the index! When I first started cardmaking, I mainly did decoupage cards, before I found stamping. Needless to say, I bought so many decoupage sheets, it was ridiculous. I haven't made one in at least three years- I got rid of masses when I moved rooms last year. What appeals to you will almost definitely change over time. And the indexing- trust me, don't wait till you have a pile of stuff. It takes forever then, and you will probably have duplicated purchases 'cos you forgot what you had. There is an app for smartphones/tablets called Evernote, which is free, and its a great way to keep track of what you have, and more importantly, have that listing with you when you shop.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2014, 10:02 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another possibility for finding stampers in your area is to check the Stampin' Up site for a demonstrator in your area (or other home demonstrator based stamp companies) They often have stamp classes or clubs for small fees. Another place to ask around is your local library where some people do stamp classes. I've never done it, but others have talked about joining stamping meet ups groups through online sources.
As far as supplies you're getting good advice here. Another helpful ink to purchase is a Versamark pad. You can use it by itself for a subtle tone on tone look just by stamping on colored cardstock. You can stamp onto white cs and then rub chalk/pastels over it for a pretty soft look. At some point if you decide to try embossing you can stamp your image in Versamark then add the embossing powder and heat to emboss.....a very versatile ink!

Last edited by mamaxsix; 03-23-2014 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2014, 12:55 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I started out stamping with One stamp set! I bought Frosty from Stampin' Up and made my first set of Christmas cards. I made over 50 cards that year, and I was hooked forever! From that point I slowly bought supplies. One of the lowest cost things I used and still do from time to time, is the water color paint sets my kids had in school. I found I liked to water color. I used different brushes and water color techniques and just had fun. I also used my kids coloring pencils they had in school. After my three boys were in school I found I had quite a large colored pencil collection. I learned how to do that colored pencil and baby oil technique and wow did that do wonders with my colored pencil fill-ins! I also just watched tons and tons of tutorials here on Splitcoast and learned so much here! I've been stamping for maybe six or seven years now and I still love it. I am always learning new things! I found a bunch of new friends through looking through the Splitcoast get together's and found a great group in my area that gets together once a month! We do card swaps and altered projects. I've learned a lot through doing that! Best of luck to you now! Most Important: Have Fun!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2014, 01:26 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 131 Likes on 46 Posts

Don't buy a bunch of stuff, just to build your stash! BIG waste of money.

My advice is - Go to Stampinup.com & check the demo locator for one in your area. I know if you were in MY area, I'd be happy to have you come to one of my mom's groups. for $5 bucks we play with my stuff to make 3 cards - you do that a few times, and listen to the other ladies chat about what they do and what they use and you get a feel for what you might want to have for your own. The demo near you might well have something similar to offer.

I start my beginners out with a single stamp set and a couple coordinating inks. They stamp all over the paper at random because I tell them it's scrap, they can't hurt it. THEN I have them cut it to card front size and make a card on it. The cards are invariably gorgeous.

My "basics" list would be - a paper trimmer, pair of sharp scissors, 1 black, grey or dark brown & two coordinated color ink pads that work well together, smooth white cardstock, and a stamp set that is preferably a mix of words and images. If you could get a pack of cardstock in the same color family as the ink pads, that would also be useful, but not necessary. Clean your stamps with baby wipes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2014, 01:36 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

I have to pop back to agree with a comment made........"Have fun"!!!!

Your title for this thread was "feeling overwhelmed", and I think you're right to feel that way. Our hobby is one where we have products galore to choose from, magazines with tons of examples, and people on all different levels of expertise showing their work - so it can be overwhelming and intimidating for someone starting off as to where do I fit in? The answer is where ever you like!!! This is a hobby to "relieve" stress, NOT create it, so that's why I agree with the comment and want to be sure to reiterate it to HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME playing and creating. We get so caught up in all the supplies and techniques that we can forget that important part!!! Enjoy yourself!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2014, 01:45 PM   #20  
Glitter Queen

Default Thanks everyone!

Gosh, everyone here is so friendly and helpful! I appreciate all the input and advice so much!
I haven't seen any kind of classes for stamping or cardmaking around here. Even Joann's doesn't seem to offer anything like that. I don't think the hobby has really caught on yet here. I do know a Stampin Up demonstrator, but she holds all her classes and clubs, etc. while I'm working. Kind of hard to find time for much of anything when I work 2 jobs during the week and then have laundry, shopping, and cleaning to do all weekend. That's why I'm trying to learn as much as I can online and by asking questions here. I'm kind of slow when it comes to this hobby, it seems. I can stare at 2 pieces of cardstock for hours before I can tell whether they go together or not and sometimes I give up before I decide. lol It's going to take me a LONG time to learn how to make a card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2014, 02:28 PM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoHopkinsView Post
I can stare at 2 pieces of cardstock for hours before I can tell whether they go together or not and sometimes I give up before I decide. lol It's going to take me a LONG time to learn how to make a card!
Take one sheet of cardstock, fold it in half, stamp on the front and voila you made a card.

K.I.S.S- keep it simple silly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2014, 02:52 PM   #22  
Glitter Queen

But that's kind of the point. I'm such a plain, vanilla-type person that I'd like to make cards that are a little bit fancier and prettier. Although, sometimes I do have a hard time with just stamping on the front because the whole image doesn't come out. lol
I'm starting to wonder whether maybe this just isn't my "thing".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2014, 03:06 PM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

Another pinner said to search stampin up for a demo by you. I'd highly recommend it! I had a ton of things before I found stampin up. There are other similar product lines so feel free to look at those also. I learned over the years that I can do more with fewer products from one company. The reason is that all of their products match. You can slowly build a collection starting with your favorite color group. There are packs of multi colored paper that aren't expensive. I still have many products from many companies but because it is quicker and simpler to grab stampin up products I know they will go together. They have markers that match carstock that match ribbon etc. Check out the stampin up clearance rack for melon mambo ribbon for example. Then you could buy a package of brights cardstock, a black ink pad and you could start! If you cut each piece of 8 1/2 by 11 cardstock into 4 pieces it will go a long ways. Use an inexpensive but heavy cardstock for your base. Even walmart sells a 110 pound white that is cheap. I'm not sharing this with you because I'm a demo. I'm a demo because I love doing more with less! Have tons of fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Which ATG gun do you use? The inexpensive pink or the sturdier red gun?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2014, 04:00 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Don't forget the You Tube videos either! Probably the greatest source of completely free teaching on the net! If you are having trouble getting stamped images to come out right, try playing on plain copy paper, its cheap and throwable. Some people recommend putting a magazine under the piece you are going to stamp on for a better image. Have a look at the stamp before you stamp after you inked it, and make sure it is completely covered in ink. Its easy to miss a spot. Then make sure you apply firm, even pressure all over the stamp, without rocking it. The general advice is take the inkpad to the stamp, rather than the stamp to the inkpad. Turn the stamp upside down and tap all over the surface with the inkpad. Just reading how Lindababe gets people to stamp all over a piece of paper, then tells them to cut it down and make a card front- I usually work on top of an A3 pad of paper, like a kids drawing pad. I use it to test colours on, stamp off an image to make sure its what I want etc- you'd be surprised how often I end up with something I can cut down and use.And don't throw away what you regard as 'scrap'. Often it looks different in a couple of days time, with fresh eyes. And you'd be surprised what you can make from scrap pieces as well.
All these cards were made from scrap-pieces that didn't turn out well. Just punched into squares and laid out in a grid.
Feelling Overwhelmed-img_9091-w.jpg
Feelling Overwhelmed-img_9135-w.jpg
Feelling Overwhelmed-img_9136-w.jpg

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 03-23-2014 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2014, 06:28 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm a browse and video tutorial nut. I have never been to a dedicated stamping class because I don't like feeling like I have to buy something. (Cue a bunch of posts saying classes aren't like that etc. , well they are for me).

Go to the gallery or Pinterest and find what you like and use Google to find blogs on techniques with what you like. And view in your own time.

Make note of product recommendations when they seem genuine. Yeah, if someone is reimbursed for promoting the product consider that. That doesn't make it a yes or no, just a consideration.

Always question if you can get the same effect with a cheaper, different product AND if the cheaper product is worth the cheaper price. Some are and some are just a big ol rip off.

Whatever cardstock you fall in love with buy a package of Georgia Pacific 110lb cardstock. It's around $5 for a pack of 150 8.5 x 11 in sheets. Use this for practice. Stamping, printing, coloring, painting. It is cheap enough that it doesn't matter what your results are. It has its faults and can pill if overworked with coloring techniques but many card makers have a lot of luck with it and if you like the result of your practice use it on a card.

I also use the thinnest cheapest printer paper I can find for the same and to cut masks and for card inserts.

Oh and shop the Back to School sales for deals on student grade art supply products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2014, 11:48 PM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Don't be overwhelmed. :( The stamping hobby just makes you feel like at times you need to be a size 0 botox movie star. This is going to be a long post.

I have been where you are trying to start a stamping. Trying to balance work & home. Then getting online and seeing all the beautiful cards and wanting to make them while your seeing $$$$$$$ on each card. It's no fun. I don't have any SU demo's in my area that is a good fit for me. They are either out of town, too far away in my city or they only demo to members of their church.

When I first started stamping I did collect a lot of supplies. I felt so depressed about it. More supplies made me lose my stamping mojo. I never wanted to stamp again. I was happier with less.

A dear lady online gave me the best advice. She told me when I first started stamping to get Versafine Onyx Ink, a ream of Georgia Pacific cardstock & my favorite coloring medium. I went to WalMart and bought a big delicious box of Cra-Z-Art pencils. I spent $5 a week on stamps. That is how I started building my collection.

I made beautiful cards. When I was able to buy more supplies that were trendy my cards started to suck. I got rid of it all and now down to my favorite art supplies I make beautiful cards again. What is so ironic about it I donated a lot of my supplies to one of my favorite animal charities. A year later I adopted a dog from that charity that give me more happiness that any of my trendy art supplies gave me. The ladies at my favorite charity were so thrilled to receive my art supplies so they could make things to help with the charity. It was a special win for everyone. I do think I got the better of it. They got die cut machines. I get puppy hugs.

My advice is too make a small weekly budget and build your supplies that way. If you have your heart set on Copics buy a Copic a week at Michaels with a coupon and get you a cute stamp. It doesn't matter if it comes from the $1 bin. It matters if it makes you smile and feel creative.

Right now I am buying one Distress Ink per week. I can buy more but I don't want too. I get to enjoy that Distress Ink for the week before a new one comes in. I know how I am if I got the whole set I would be overwhelmed and hardly use my inks. One week I get the chance to be familiar with all my art tools I buy.

How to learn coloring and shading techniques- Pick up a couple of books at Amazon or the library for coloring and shading techniques. If that doesn't inspire you try YouTube for coloring tutorials. I do know how to color but I watched a couple of tutorials a few weeks ago that taught me even better tricks to add to my coloring arsenal. Deviant Art is a gem for coloring tutorials. Don't just look at stamping for coloring techniques look at other artists.

Basic stamp kit- A good black ink like Versafine, dry adhesive, wet adhesive, baby wipes, metal ruler, micro-tip scissors (Cutter Bee), craft knife, Pencil & eraser, self healing mat, bone folder. Most of these toools are inexpensive to buy or have an inexpensive alternative. I love Studio G pigment black ink. A lot of times when I am working on a quick project I just grab that one because it's my little travel kit. I paid a $1 for it. Dry adhesive I use double sided tape that costs $1 at WM or Dollar Tree. We Adhesive I love Aleene's Tacky Glue that only costs a $1. A lot of the ladies here use Elmer's glue. Their cards are gorgeous. Baby Wipes are $1. I have seen metal rulers at Dollar Tree. Most of the time they are under $3. I have a friend that has Micro-Tip scissors from the Dollar Tree and they work great. I got my Cutter Bee's for under $5 when I used a 40% coupon. Craft knives are around $2. Pencil & eraser we all have. Self healing mat will be your biggest expense. Trust me you will be glad to have it. I would be lost without my X-acto mat that cost me $10 at WM. My favorite bone folder is the little plastic that comes off of milk handles. You can usually find them at the bottom of milk shelves for free. Favorite tool of origami artists. If there are any other tools you are coveting or confused about it just let me know. I have an alternative or cheaper version. I do own expensive tools like my ATG, real bone folder, etc... I love my frugal tools. My frugal tools outnumber my expensive tools.

Another tool I want to add to the list is a paper trimmer. I don't use one because I always want to beat them against my desk so they will work right. I am one of the girls who does not like paper trimmers. I have a trimmer but I like the ruler better than the trimmer. I use my craft knife and ruler for cutting. I know this is not an option for a lot of people due to disabilities or craft knife challenge. A paper trimmer usually costs around $10 with a coupon.

Reinkers- Another best advice tip I got was buy the reinker when you buy your ink pad. I also thought this was quite the stupidest advice I ever got because why would I want to do that? What if I got tired of the ink pad? That is until I had a large project with a deadline and all my ink went dry. Then I realized I was the stupid one. Reinkers you can do everything with from make your own ink pads, painting with them, make backgrounds, etc, etc, etc... Reinkers can do more than an ink pad any day. I have a whole set of Stampin Up reinkers now.

Backgrounds- I got a cute set of pattern paper at WM for $1 this weekend. I make a lot of my own backgrounds. I don't pay a lot for them. A cute magazine is a treasure trove of backgrounds for example. I like to go to Michaels and buy the pattern paper for 59 cents. A lot of time Michael's has it 4/$1.00 so does Hobby Lobby and JoAnn's.

Other advice don't fall for product envy and promotions like River Isis said. She is right it's hype. If you get a bit of break from work and household spend some time at You Tube, Pinterest, Flickr looking at cards that you love so you can start finding your style. Also be careful with that. I love over the top layered cards that look like a Marie Antoinette dress. I don't like making them. I tend to be somewhat in the middle for those type of cards. It took me a long time and lot of frustration that die cutting is my favorite form of focal point. I use stamping as an embellishment.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2014, 03:40 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
When I first started stamping I did collect a lot of supplies. I felt so depressed about it. More supplies made me lose my stamping mojo. I never wanted to stamp again. I was happier with less.

Right now I am buying one Distress Ink per week. I can buy more but I don't want too. I get to enjoy that Distress Ink for the week before a new one comes in. I know how I am if I got the whole set I would be overwhelmed and hardly use my inks. One week I get the chance to be familiar with all my art tools I buy.
Two of the best pieces of advice EVER! I've been purging like crazy this past year because too much sucks my mojo, too. And spending some time with a new toy before adding another one makes SO MUCH SENSE! Wish someone had told me that years ago - I'd have less stuff to purge, used more of what I have, and identified what I like/don't like sooner and with less expense...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2014, 11:17 AM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

The above quote and posting is so true!!!! Less is more!!

While I was gone on a trip, my kids did me a "surprise favor" by cleaning out my garage, where all my crafting supplies were stored - in my orderly fashion. It was overwhelming for me to clean because I have accumulated soooo much over the last 20 years. Long story short, MANY dollars out the door (don't even ask), and MANY supplies gone, since they had no idea what was important other than machines! It is now organized and easy to access. I'm now weeding out what they did keep that I have too much excess of (some paper pads I will never use), and buying very minimal needs that did get tossed.

What I found in this purging process is my "Mojo" has been sparked to get going, and I've already started creating because it's so easy to find things!!! Less really is more! I've discovered stuff they kept that I will now use since I don't have some other items - they were good before, I will now find new ways to use them!! I love it! My mind isn't over cluttered with what will I use of all of this? We really don't NEED all that stuff to create a beautiful card, the results are sitting on my table as I type this!!!!

And have fun!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2014, 12:31 PM   #30  
Hardware Hotshot

Start small...less is more. It took me a very, very long time to have all what I need available.

It helped me to start with Stampin' Up. I sill am 90% SU. I get too overwhelmed if I buy inks, paper, designer paper, ribbon from all over. And I hate to try to match card stock, dsp, ribbon, etc. from different companies.

It honestly took at least two years for me to have a good assortment of card stock, ink, stamps, embellishments. Then another two years to acquire markers, buttons, Cuttlebug (a gift from my kids) embossing folders, punches, twine, etc.

Then another two years to purchase dies, nestibilities, etc.

I say get a few good stamp sets, paper cutter, notice what color combos you like in the gallery and start with those colors of card stock and ink, adhesive and do you like pearls, & rhinestones? Pearls and rhinestones add a lot and are cheap at Michael's or Hobby Lobby!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

It does take a long time to accumulate a stash of supplies - but to be honest, you don't need the stash. To be truthful, it can be overwhelming. I can't honestly remember the last time I made a card just for the fun of it, except when I go to my demo's 10 for 10s. I go down into my crafting cave and I have so much "stuff" that I don't even know where to start, and I end up sorting or "organizing" the stuff instead of creating :(

So right now, my focus is on getting rid of a bunch of the things that I don't really need or use, and actually organizing what I keep so that it's easy to find and not just sitting there, taunting me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2014, 05:50 PM   #32  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I will echo what many others here have said - you do NOT need a lot of stuff to create nice cards!
You do NEED a good black ink pad, a good pair of scissors, some type of adhesive, a way to cut paper (be it a ruler & exacto knife or a paper trimmer), a bone folder, some cardstock and some stamps.
My recommendation is always to start out with one good sentiment stamp set that covers a variety of occasions (like Happy Birthday, Congratulations, Best Wishes etc.) and then a small number of other stamp sets. A flower set and then something that will lend itself to masculine cards like Lovely as a Tree or something like that. I also recommend you not buy too many solid OR line drawing stamps until you've used them a fair bit and have a good idea of whether you prefer colouring in images, or being able to stamp them in colour or enjoy both equally. This will help keep you from buying a lot of stamps that you end up having to get rid of later because "I don't like colouring" or "I hate solid images, I want to colour!". As you buy a solid stamp set or two, buy a few colours of ink that you like and know you will use. If you decide you want to try one of the watercolouring products for colouring your images, I do recommend you buy some watercolour paper. I've never bought anything other than the pads of watercolour paper in the art section of Micheals, and always when they were on sale or with a coupon, so they ended up being very inexpensive.
You definitely do not need to start out with copics as your first colouring medium. There are many less expensive options out there that work really well. Until you know you like colouring and want to do a lot of it, copics are not an investment I would make. There have been several inexpensive ones mentioned already, but others I would mention would be Koh-I-Noor pencils and watercolour pencils. Koh-I-Noor pencils are woodless coloured pencils - the largest set has just 24 pencils, and you can usually get them at Michaels etc. for under $15 with a coupon. They work very well for the pencils and odourless mineral spirits colouring technique, along with a couple of other techniques. Watercolour pencils you can also get largish sets relatively cheaply, and they work just fine with a regular paintbrush dipped in water. I have a $5 set of smaller-sized paintbrushes I bought probably 5 years ago at least and I still use them regularly.
When you start looking at "expensive" tools, my first two recommendations would be a heat gun (with some embossing powders) and a cuttlebug (with some embossing folders).
I also would echo the suggestion to find a SU! demo in your area. Even if you decide to primarily focus your spending with another company, a demo is a good place to start to learn about different items and techniques and tools and what you enjoy and don't enjoy. It can also be a great way to meet some future stamping buddies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2014, 08:22 AM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome to the world of creative chaos! What part of the world are you in, Jo? There are informal groups that meet annually even. Check in Splitcoaststampers Get It Together Forum - Card & Craft Meetups, Swaps, Events & More as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2014, 09:14 AM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Have to echo what everyone else is saying- don't fall for the 'you must have this product/stamp/ink etc' being peddled by all the big crafting names. Amassing a huge collection of stamps takes years- and you will collect a lot of stuff along the way you will later discard. We've all been there, done that and thrown the t-shirt out! I'd also say, avoid the 'fashions' in stamping, unless the image really calls to you. Over the last few years, its been birdcages/cupcakes/owls/moustaches- they're everywhere. But unless that really is your thing, you will use them a couple of times, then file and forget.
Lylacfeys advice about buying the re-inker with your inkpad is very sound advice- depending on your local climate, pads can dry out faster than you'd believe, and then you will get poor results. It'll also save you cash in the long term. Look for cheaper, non- craft name versions of stuff- your dollar stores will have bags of make-up sponges( for inking), heat resistant baking sheets (craft sheet),eye shadow kits, (mica powders)- look at everything with the eye to 'can I get something similar cheaper/for free?' Often the answer is yes. You will also find a lot of DIY craft products on Pinterest, as well as on here. There is a brilliant recipe on here for stamp cleaner, works out to pennies per bottle. I've also seen things like blending solution mixes on Pinterest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2014, 09:41 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was just making a batch of stamp cleaner last night, so I had to find the recipe. THIS THREAD has the recipes for the stamp cleaner AND the blending solution!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2014, 05:19 AM   #36  
Embossing Fanatic

My advice on what to get for starting stamping is first to cash in your retirement fund and go from there. You can just begin stockpiling whatever you see advertised. Get lots of gourmet coffee too so you can sit in front of youtube and subscribe to every card making channel you see.

This isn't a joke, but it is funny....I guess....well, my sister laughed at it.

That is exactly what I have been doing since I took an interest in card making two months ago. I have made maybe....ummm...5 cards, but I have over a hundred stamps I haven't used yet...a cuddlebug, lots of embossing powder, hoards of paper I will never use in my life time, 20 copic markers, Martha Stewmeat's scoring board, cuz someone said they loved it...haven't made anything with it yet, an envelope maker, which I have used making envelopes from calendar pages just because I saw a Youtube video of it, but no use for the envelopes...yet!....umm...I also have Martha's heat gun and a couple of her punches. I have a case of paints I will not likely use because I hate painting with a brush.....I have tons of those little squiggly sissors...they're fun.....embroidery kit and on and on and on...embellishments, blah blah blah blah...but...

The most important thing is, I am having fun. I don't know what direction to go in but it's an adventure.

I fixed up a hobby room in my house, paid $11,000 last year for a new roof for my house and I have a leak right over my work station in my hobby room. The contractor who did the roof has his butt covered in all areas, so...oh well, move on eh.....move stuff off the work station area and wait for the leak to stop then move back.

On top of all of this, someone said making jewellery is fun too, so I went and took a class for that. Now to get more of my retirement fund and go on another shopping binge. NOT!

So what do you need to start off? You need everything

Last edited by SueBeedoo; 03-26-2014 at 05:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2014, 07:05 AM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

As you can tell, everyone has their own ideas. Best advice is see what calls to you and look for the products. Since you don't have anything but JoAnn's check on line for deals. I do like Gina K stuff, she has great stamps and starting to get matching ink and papers. LOVE her Cardstock too. Plus she has free shipping over $50 so that helps but there are also other places. Keep looking.
My best recommendations are pretty much the same:
Black ink pad - I bet I have 10 - Memento is my favorite go to one. Is also my favorite brand of dye inks - I have all the SU pads but like Memento best.
Cardstock- I have it from all over SU, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Gina K, Staples. Find something you like. Get colors you like. I resisted patterned paper for a long time then started buying a bunch....BIG mistake for me. I don't like using it. I just can't seem to get them to look right in my mind. I am better at making my own backgounds, then I have what I need, colors I want, never run out and don't have stuff I won't use sitting around. Plus I am not one to mix patterns in my clothing, if you aren't savvy on that, you might not like pattern paper. I am awed by the samples people have using patterned paper but if I look real close I realize I never would have done that mix, even though I might like it, I know I wouldn't do it.

When I look back at my first cards I realize what it was missing: Straight cuts- I didn't have a paper cutter you need something like that and no layers. Although now I could get away with it with some creative lines or something.
Do you like to color? If not, go for solid stamps and different color stamp pads. If your not sure, get a set of each stamps, solid and line and see what you like. Think about who are making for, men, women, kids? Buy sets for that and that call to you, not just because you saw a card and loved it. I love leaves and trees, I have tons of them and horse stamps but that's because I'm a cowgirl too. It's my collection since hubby won't let me collect live horses, 4 is my limit. I love scenic cards so have sponges, brayer, colored inks. See what you like and what you need. I go through phases, sometimes it's scenes, sometime not.
As far as a bone folder, for years I used a Pampered Chef stone scraper, some people have even used spoons and knives! I do like my score pal though, much easier.

What got me started in stamping was embossing, I loved it! I don't do much anymore but you will need a gun, I like the SU or Ranger one best. Then get a versamark pad. Stick to basic colors to begin with and see, gold, silver, white, clear. I have 2 drawers full of powders and rarely use them anymore. And get reinkers for your pads.

IF you get to the point where you want a die cut machine, and you might, well you will, I have had a Spellbinder, Cuttlebug and broke both of them (I'm freakishly strong I guess) My Big shot lasted. I like it best too. Wait for a sale or check Amazon and check around.
Check out blogs from sellers and design teams and see the samples. When you see a set you like think Can I use it 3 different ways? So many are doing videos. Gina K has Stamp TV and always has a video and tons of archived ones that help.
I quit buying sayings and greetings. Computers work for them but might not be for you. You may want some greetings but sayings can be done on a printer and there is a thread about them on here someplace.

Good luck - it's an expensive adventure but so much fun.

Last edited by Betty; 03-26-2014 at 07:14 AM.. Reason: forgot stuff
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2014, 07:05 AM   #38  
Rubber Obsessor

Well, if you weren't overwhelmed already, you would be now!
My best suggestion is not to buy everything in sight or because it is on "sale" or clearance. Choose one company (my fav. is Stampin' Up) because everything will match. THat's what makes cards & pages look great, when things do combine well. There are different adhesives for different purposes. Get some glue sticks, adhesive tape that you can tear w/ your fingers, and some pop dots. Use what you have and w/ practice, you will see what looks good and find out what you enjoy most. I love the stamps that are "reverse" so I only shade the image. I don't color that much. Practice taught me that. Best of luck.......be faithful w/ small things, and you will be blessed w/ larger things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2014, 04:14 PM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 247 Likes on 133 Posts

Don't be overwhelmed. You probably DO have enough supplies already to make cards. I started out with about 5 ink pads and a few stamps that someone gave me. I played around with them on construction paper and made a bunch of cards. I used colored pencils and chalks that my kids left behind. Q-tips and an old brayer came in handy for trying things. Outdated wallpaper sample books are great for background papers (not much else available at the time). The most important thing to purchase is a good paper cutter. When you do buy ink pads, remember you do not need them all or the whole line from every company---but you do need to buy re-inkers for every pad you buy. Not only will that insure you have a nice juicy pad, but the re-inkers themselves can be used to do many techniques. There is no better place to come than here on SCS---especially if you don't have a craft store that has classes. You will learn anything you want and can go at your own pace. When you find your style, then you can spend your money on those supplies and tools to help you develop it to its fullest. (I don't do much coloring or images, so I'm still using those chalks and pencils I started out with. When I watercolor, I use the lid of my ink pad and an aqua brush, so I invested in an expensive set of those.) Welcome to a fun hobby that brings more joy to yourself and others than you could ever imagine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2014, 08:56 PM   #40  
Embossing Fanatic

I recently did a short YouTube series on tools for the new card maker. I created an imaginery crafter and we followed her through the first few stages of card making. You can find them here: Tools for the new card maker - YouTube

Hope it helps,
Glenda
Reply With Quote Likes