Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-17-2009, 06:24 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Favorite SU stamp sets and products?

Hi! I am a brand new stamper and joined a hostess club that my demo is doing. Our first meeting is next week and I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to order.

Can any of you recommend some favorite sets or products? I have a few that I really like but I want some really versatile sets since I'm just starting out.

Thanks for any advice you can give! Happy stamping!

~Marla
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2009, 07:37 PM   #2  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

I love Itty Bitty Backgrounds, even if it has been around forever. I also love Lovely As a Tree. You can make manly cards, Christmas cards, and more.
I recommend buying the ink pads a whole set at a time. That way, you have a nice box to keep them in. I would buy a mixed pack of paper of each color family to start with, until you know which colors you want a lot of. Make sure you get some ribbon in a favorite color.
I could go on and on. You'll want to start collecting lots of stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2009, 07:51 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

I'd pick which color family you like the best and start there. Get the variety pack of paper for that color family, and a couple of ink pads (the whole color family if you can). Then throw in some ribbon and a stamp set you really love!

My best advice for choosing a stamp set is to browse the galleries. See what others have done and what strikes your fancy. A while back everyone was using that new honey-bee set and seemed to love it...I hated it though. You just have to be true to what your style is.

Oh, and buy an image set and a sentiment set....I love all my image stamps but swear i'm always digging around for a good sentiment!

Best of luck to you. Happy stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2009, 08:11 PM   #4  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

My favorite and most used set is Lovely as a tree and they have the best cardstock around!

Patti
Fan Club Member RAK Group Member
Chemo Angel, Stampin Up Demonstrator
Scrapbook goal: April 7/10 MAY /5 YTD 32
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2009, 08:22 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

If you spend $40 from the Occasions Mini Catalog in April, you get a FREE stamp from the "Under $10" page at the back of your catalog!

I agree with getting a full set of inkpads in your favorite color family, and also an assortment back of that cardstock in 8.5x11 size. Also, our Designer Series Paper is a GREAT way to spice up a card with very little effort. 12x12 sheets go a LONG ways when you're using them on cards! You can pick colors that match the colors in the color family you're choosing!

As for stamps, a good set of sentiments is important. I like Sincere Salutations - it's reasonably priced and covers just about everything you'd ever need. As far as image stamps go, it depends on what you like! If you like to color, look for the "line art" stamps that are open in the middle. If you don't want to color, choose solid stamps.

Hope this helps! If you want more advice, just send me a PM. I have most of what's in the catalog, so I'm familiar with all the stamp sets. <G>
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2009, 08:25 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

Oh, and I almost forgot - Two-Way Glue and Dazzling Diamonds adds glitter to any project and REALLY can fancy-up a card. It's cheap and easy to use! I keep my Dazzling Diamonds (and all my glitters and embossing powders) in square Gladware plastic containers. Then I just dip my cardstock in there, and I don't end up trying to put glitter back into that little jar. <g> The Dazzling Diamonds will last you FOREVER, esp if you keep it in a container like I mentioned above! Have FUN!
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2009, 09:10 PM   #7  
kt3
Crimping Master

Hi, Marla.

Welcome to stamping! I agree with sticking to one color family at first. It makes it a lot easier to have a coordinated look. I got a variety pack of the earth tones (my favorite color family) and then a full pack of my favorite color in there when I first started. I got the ink pad to match my favorite color and then the entire family's set of markers. I didn't want to buy the whole stamp pad set at one time since that gets pretty pricey, so having the markers allows me to stamp my images in colors to match the cardstock without having all of the ink pads (You can color on rubber stamps with the markers) and also have the pens of course to color in images, etc.

You may want a "snail" adhesive tool, too, to stick your beautiful work together as well as "dimensionals" (both in the back of the catalogue). They are easy & affordable ways to make your cards come together nicely.

I would stick to getting some nice papers & tools and only getting one or two stamp sets at first. Looking at the galleries on here you can get so many ideas of different ways to use the same stamp set, but I've found it really helps to have the nice papers & matching markers to give you lots of options with the stamps you have. It's easy to get excited about buying new sets, but if you don't have the paper, etc. then it's hard to use the stamps.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2009, 02:00 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

See if your demo has a sample of the cardstocks and consider a neutral that you love other than white or vanilla and get coordinating envelopes. I LOVE SU's Confetti White and cream and Naturals ivory and white. They are a bit sturdier than the whisper white and vanilla and if you like the speckled look, add immediate interest to a card.

I would not recommend SU's basic black ink pad -- get the Stazon black instead! It will be waterproof and a truer black.

Do you like to color in images or prefer solid stamps?

If you like to color in and want to stretch your dollars, think about Morning soft. It is a large beautiful flower with a sentiment and is only $18.95. That flower covers birthdays, get well, sympathy, Mother's Day, Thinking of You! Combine it with the All Holidays sentiment set and you can make a lot of cards. Or Fifth Avenue Floral, which is gorgeous and very trendy. You can color it or keep it as a line image. The samples I've seen are beautiful.

If coloring in or just having the same image isn't for you, you can get a lot of mileage from Holiday Blitz on page 33. The images are small, but repeated or used with a background stamp or patterned paper and you are set for almost every occasion.

However, the most important thing is to only buy something that you absolutely love. Better to have a loved set than one you bought just cause you thought it was versatile.

One of my favorite blogs for stampin up products is Mary Fish's www.stampinpretty.com If you go there, you will end up loving and wanting everything Mary uses!!!

Enjoy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2009, 03:09 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Great ideas and advice from everyone! I wanted to add - when I started out, I only purchased the black and brown ink pads, but did get the SU markers. Figured I could get any color I wanted by using them on my stamps, or stamping in black and coloring.

I agree with Joan too - find a stamp set that you love! And I guarantee - you will use it!

Thank you for visiting ~ My Gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2009, 04:31 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
I love Itty Bitty Backgrounds, even if it has been around forever. I also love Lovely As a Tree. You can make manly cards, Christmas cards, and more.
I recommend buying the ink pads a whole set at a time. That way, you have a nice box to keep them in. I would buy a mixed pack of paper of each color family to start with, until you know which colors you want a lot of. Make sure you get some ribbon in a favorite color.
I could go on and on. You'll want to start collecting lots of stuff!
I was considering Sprinkles to use for backgrounds. I made a card recently and it just needed something and I think that a background stamp would have done the trick. I also really like the Lovely as a Tree set. I will definitely consider that one. I think that cards for men are a little difficult. I also like Branch Out for the same reasons. I don't know if ordering a whole family of stamp pads would be cost effective for me now because I already have a couple from each color family. I may go for the markers instead. Thank you so much for your advice.

~Marla
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2009, 04:34 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by 20somethingStamperView Post
I'd pick which color family you like the best and start there. Get the variety pack of paper for that color family, and a couple of ink pads (the whole color family if you can). Then throw in some ribbon and a stamp set you really love!

My best advice for choosing a stamp set is to browse the galleries. See what others have done and what strikes your fancy. A while back everyone was using that new honey-bee set and seemed to love it...I hated it though. You just have to be true to what your style is.

Oh, and buy an image set and a sentiment set....I love all my image stamps but swear i'm always digging around for a good sentiment!

Best of luck to you. Happy stamping!
Thanks for responding! I do have the mixed cardstock in the Soft Subtles and the Tea Party DSP and three of the ink pads in that color family. I have been spending lots of time in the galleries and it makes me want all of the stamp sets! I'm trying to build my collection slowly so it isn't such a blow to the budget, which is why I joined the hostess club. Hopefully I can control myself! :rolleyes: I am definitely going to get a versatile sentiment set. Maybe All Holidays- not sure yet. Thanks again!

~Marla
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2009, 04:37 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soozie4HimView Post
Oh, and I almost forgot - Two-Way Glue and Dazzling Diamonds adds glitter to any project and REALLY can fancy-up a card. It's cheap and easy to use! I keep my Dazzling Diamonds (and all my glitters and embossing powders) in square Gladware plastic containers. Then I just dip my cardstock in there, and I don't end up trying to put glitter back into that little jar. <g> The Dazzling Diamonds will last you FOREVER, esp if you keep it in a container like I mentioned above! Have FUN!
That's a great idea about the glitter! My demo did that at a class that I attended. I didn't think I was a glittery person, but I do think that they add a nice touch to the cards. Thanks for the advice!

~Marla
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2009, 04:40 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by kt3View Post
Hi, Marla.

Welcome to stamping! I agree with sticking to one color family at first. It makes it a lot easier to have a coordinated look. I got a variety pack of the earth tones (my favorite color family) and then a full pack of my favorite color in there when I first started. I got the ink pad to match my favorite color and then the entire family's set of markers. I didn't want to buy the whole stamp pad set at one time since that gets pretty pricey, so having the markers allows me to stamp my images in colors to match the cardstock without having all of the ink pads (You can color on rubber stamps with the markers) and also have the pens of course to color in images, etc.

You may want a "snail" adhesive tool, too, to stick your beautiful work together as well as "dimensionals" (both in the back of the catalogue). They are easy & affordable ways to make your cards come together nicely.

I would stick to getting some nice papers & tools and only getting one or two stamp sets at first. Looking at the galleries on here you can get so many ideas of different ways to use the same stamp set, but I've found it really helps to have the nice papers & matching markers to give you lots of options with the stamps you have. It's easy to get excited about buying new sets, but if you don't have the paper, etc. then it's hard to use the stamps.

Good luck!
Yes, I agree. I do feel like I need some nice papers and things to use as finishing touches before I get carried away with the stamp sets. I can already tell that there are certain colors that I will need more of. I current favorite is Certainly Celery. I will probably have to order a whole pack of that color. I am seriously considering getting the set of markers in Soft Subtles as that is the color family that I have the most of to start out. Thanks for your advice.

~Marla

Last edited by MarlaR; 04-18-2009 at 04:45 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2009, 04:44 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Thanks to everyone for responding! You all have given great advice and I would still love to hear from others. I have a few favorite stamp sets right now that I'm considering. My absolute favorite is Fifth Avenue Floral and it help that I think it is a very versatile set as well. I could use it for Mother's Day, birthday, sympathy, thank you, thinking of you, etc. The list goes on and on. I will probably get that one next along with some accessories and more paper.

Anybody else have favorites they would like to share?

~Marla
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2009, 05:55 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

I love the punches, especially for layering--i.e., circles in scallop, etc. No matter what I make, I am always reaching for a punch.

If you have or are going to get a BigShot/BigKick, the texture plates are really nice. I have been using them a lot lately. And, the Top Note die is a must have!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2009, 04:43 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

It's always fun to see the enthusiasm of a new stamper!

Lots of great advice mentioned above. I'll add Stamp-a-majig which is a great tool for positioning stamps, especially wood. It's a mini-T-square and a small sheet of clear plastic. I'd describe its use here but you're much better off having your demo show you ~ it'd take a lot of sentences to be precise, and you'll learn in seconds in person!

Also, I used to have a Fiskars track paper trimmer/cutter. If you can, get the Tonic guillotine-style paper cutter from SU! It's fantastic and well worth the investment.

Stamps are of course subject to highly personal preferences , and you've gotten some great advice from others already. I will say that A Touch of Nature and Lovely as a Tree are top on my list of all-time faves. And the longer I think of it, the more I'll pile on - so I'll stop there with stamps!

The dimensionals are a MUST - I think they're the best and never want to run out. Same for the mini glue dots.

There's a neat tool, I think they call it the Mat Pack, and it has a piercing tool with a template with rows of dots. Great for just adding piercing or connecting your pierced dots for a faux stitch look. The white Signo pen is great for faux stitching, too, and a gazillion other things ~ so easy to make a small flower 'pop' by giving it a white center.

If you use pencils or colored pencils, the little sharpener is wonderful! I even bought one for my daughter for school.

I'm with you - love Certainly Celery. When I started out, I gravitated toward the Earth Elements colors, with some Rich Regals and a couple of Soft Subtles. Don't feel you need everything at once - especially colors. I suggest starting out with colors you already naturally lean towards - think about what colors you choose in your clothing and in your home. I'm not generally good with pastels, but some of the subtles look wonderful with black or chocolate chip. I also like Barely Banana as an almost neutral. (I strongly second Joan B's advice about the sturdier neutrals, too.)

Consider getting the Stampin' Spots along with the Stazon black and maybe Chocolate Chip as a black alternate. There are lots of different ways to color your images - markers, watercolor pencils, colored pencils, etc. And so many techniques to learn! It may take some time for you to decide what you like to use the most. If you have the spots, they will last you a long long time and you can use them to ink stamps directly and also to color in stamped images with a blender pen or waterbrush - and you'll have a good variety of colors to use while deciding which ones you like best.

Welcome to stamping and I hope your demo exposes you to lots of different tools and techniques in the hostess club. Most of all ~ have fun!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2009, 05:17 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You have been given alot of ideas. I have been doing this for about 4 years and I have learned a little. While stampin up has lovely glitter, I am much more happy with micro glitter. I totally agree with the Basic Black, the SU one is not that great. I recently purchased a versa fine black and it is wonderful. I switched from the craft pads to classic since the craft are too juicey and I can't wait for the ink to dry and end up ruining the card. I also love the SU cardstock in all the colors. Some I never touch but others I used over and over again. I would buy each family in the assorted packs to figure out what you like to use best. The markers are nice to work with too. I love the fact the coloring, inks and cardstock all match. Also their grosgrain ribbon is wonderful, but I have bought most of the colors online in the 100 yard spools. If you would like some ribbon please drop me an email and I would be happy to send you the colors I have to try out.

As for the stamps if you get inspired in the gallery by a set really check it out. My daughter has a good rule of thumb. If you can see 5 different cards with that set you can get it. LOL. My personal favs are natural beauty (retired), lovely as a tree, simply said and I use all the coffee ones too. Sentiments are great to have. There is a good one to cover all the family and friends Wonderful Favourites.

Good luck with your choices.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2009, 05:53 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

If you're new to stamping in general, I'd get the stamp-a-maji, it makes a world of difference!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2009, 06:02 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizMurderView Post
If you're new to stamping in general, I'd get the stamp-a-maji, it makes a world of difference!
Liz, I have to get you a link to the thread "What does your screen name mean?" ;) Oh, c'mon, you know the rest of you were thinkin' it :mrgreen:!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2009, 06:04 PM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

lol I know, I posted a response there earlier this week
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2009, 06:05 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh, I almost forgot. If you haven't tried embossing yet, heat embossing, ask your demo to show you. It is THE coolest thing! You'll need Versamark, embossing powder and a heat gun. It's like magic ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2009, 06:29 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizMurderView Post
lol I know, I posted a response there earlier this week
Found it! :mrgreen: Whew! LOL!!! ;^)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Um....everything....just kidding (not really, hahaha)

You really need the stamp and scrub, the stamp cleaning pad. I've had others before and it's the best. It's easy to use and gets your stamps clean! And, when it gets dirty you just pop out the scubbers and rinse them in the sink. I also really like their ribbon, since it color coordinates. Designer papers are great too, they can really set your project off! I'm going to get some brads on my next order since they match too. And if you have a die cutting machine you need some dies, especially the top note and I just got the butterfly die and it's awesome!

As for stamp sets I have a lot of faves. I just got Define your life and although it's $$$ it works for so many occasions and with so many other sets. I'll list some of my favorites just for fun:

Scene in a garden (mini)
Great friend (mini)
Priceless
Trendy Trees
Fifth ave floral

I could really go on and on and on....and you get the idea:-) Have fun getting totally obsessed!!!!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes