Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-01-2024, 04:08 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 35 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Favorite Delayed Purchases

As I was using my Precision Glue Press tool today I was thinking about how much I enjoy it. It's one of several purchases I delayed (mostly because of price), but would buy again tomorrow.
So I'm curious...what craft items do you love now and wish you had not waited so long to purchase?
(There may be something on your list that I "need" to consider - ha!)
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
DancesWithHooves (05-07-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 04:41 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 117 Likes on 53 Posts

My die cutting machine. For sure. Before that, it was my blending brushes.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by OneDevotedDame:
janesprando (05-08-2024), Kristy Tyra (05-08-2024), lutheran (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 06:10 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 603 Likes on 246 Posts

I was late getting a Big Shot, too, and now I can’t live without it.
Mary Beth
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by lutheran:
Kristy Tyra (05-08-2024), OneDevotedDame (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 06:22 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 977 Likes on 476 Posts

I've been slow to adopt pretty much everything I rely on now lol
But my top three would be: Misti, alcohol markers, sticky mat.

Fun question!

Reply With Quote Likes
OneDevotedDame (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 07:19 AM   #5  
Glitter Queen

I hear you, Adriana! Now that I think about it, I tend to be a late adopter in most every area of my life. Guess that's just how I roll!

It took me forever to justify purchasing a Cuttlebug. Yet, it has served me well for many, many, MANY years now and I'm already in mourning at the thought of the day we will part. (sniff, sniff) However, I've enjoyed keeping up with the threads raving about many of the die cutting machines on the market today.

My Misti is definitely another tool I waited much too long to embrace. My best friend recently started stamping and I highly encouraged her to just get one from the beginning instead of waiting. It took a little convincing, but once she did she was all in, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by InkyTexan:
brwnigrl (05-08-2024), fl_beachbum (05-02-2024), Kristy Tyra (05-08-2024), OneDevotedDame (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 12:11 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Markers are my next thing... I've been eyeing alcohol markers for a loooong time, but dang, can't decide if I *really* need 'em (or which kind to get), lol. I color a little with Sharpies, and that works okay, but I often want to blend, and that just doesn't happen.

Oh, and Magic Mats from Scrapbook.com. I've been flirting with the idea of getting one of those, too, especially if it means less $$$ spent on replacement cutting plates for my Bira. (Which is practically brand new, so it's not like I absolutely NEED to figure this out yet, lol.)

Miss Adriana, what kind of sticky mat do you have, and how do you use it? I have a work mat from Scrapbook.com that kinda sorta helps to keep my stencils in place, but I still find myself using washi tape because my paper is usually close in size relative to my stencil, so the stencil can't "stick" to the mat (which isn't technically advertised as sticky). I'm okay using magnets (I converted a metal IKEA message board to a stamping station), but sometimes it would be nice to have some stick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2024, 12:22 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

For me it was alcohol markers; I started with Spectrum Noirs, tried several other brands like Nuvo, Altenew, Copics. I found that I liked the Copics Sketch best especially the size and shape. I love any type of coloring - pencils, watercolor pencils but love alcohol markers the best.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2024, 01:06 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,825 Likes on 1,917 Posts

I agree with everyone...I didn't think I really needed a die cutting machine, but bought a Cuttlebug and fell in love. I use a Big Shot Plus most everyday now. I started with Bic Alcohol markers and a Copic Blender Marker like Gina K showed and BG10 Cool Shadow marker. Now, I need every color I can get my hands on. I have several alcohol markers in various companies. Besides my Misti , I use the press tool to glide over my Misti door to help me with getting a good impression. Then there is the fine point on a glue bottle. I do not use it enough to warrant the glue press, but recently got new bottles to fill with glue, They are called a Fine Line Applicator and the pin is in the lid. They are available on Amazon, but my husband found them at one of his guitar stores a bit cheaper.
LisaFeatured Stamper #671Love sending BRAK cards. Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by lovinpaper:
fl_beachbum (05-05-2024), OneDevotedDame (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 02:06 PM   #9  
Glitter Queen

"...my husband found them at one of his guitar stores a bit cheaper"
Love it! Isn't it fun when tools from one hobby can cross over to another? Sometimes I get to feeling guilty for how much stuff I have accumulated over the years. But then when my husband comes and says, "Do you happen to have something I could use for ______?" and I find just the right thing, then I feel justified!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 10 users liked this post by InkyTexan:
DianeinSparks (05-05-2024), Kristy Tyra (05-08-2024), leibetty (05-07-2024), lovinpaper (05-02-2024), MangieB (05-08-2024), OneDevotedDame (05-02-2024), pepperann (05-04-2024), smhtwin (05-07-2024), Stampnnatter (05-10-2024), whim6915 (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 02:51 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

I have Tonic scissors that I used for cutting rubber stamps and other items, so when my husband was looking for scissors, I showed him them. He loves them! He said he may need to purchase a pair. That reminds me of a Jennifer McGuire video where she talked about her scissors disappearing as her husband or another family member kept helping themselves to her scissors, so she bought several and placed them throughout her house.
LisaFeatured Stamper #671Love sending BRAK cards. Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2024, 05:39 PM   #11  

Received 858 Likes on 283 Posts

Spellbinders Glimmer machine. I LOVE the thing. Also magic mats - life changing those things are!

​​​​​​
Reply With Quote Likes
pepperann (05-04-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 01:52 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 977 Likes on 476 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneDevotedDameView Post
Markers are my next thing... I've been eyeing alcohol markers for a loooong time, but dang, can't decide if I *really* need 'em (or which kind to get), lol. I color a little with Sharpies, and that works okay, but I often want to blend, and that just doesn't happen.

Oh, and Magic Mats from Scrapbook.com. I've been flirting with the idea of getting one of those, too, especially if it means less $$$ spent on replacement cutting plates for my Bira. (Which is practically brand new, so it's not like I absolutely NEED to figure this out yet, lol.)

Miss Adriana, what kind of sticky mat do you have, and how do you use it? I have a work mat from Scrapbook.com that kinda sorta helps to keep my stencils in place, but I still find myself using washi tape because my paper is usually close in size relative to my stencil, so the stencil can't "stick" to the mat (which isn't technically advertised as sticky). I'm okay using magnets (I converted a metal IKEA message board to a stamping station), but sometimes it would be nice to have some stick.
I first purchased a sticky mat from Simon Says Stamp that they put out with Brutus Monroe. It’s good but not especially sticky. More recently I purchased the Waffle Flower one that is like a large plain photopolymer stamp. That’s the one I would recommend. I use it to hold paper and stencils and also to hold die cuts in place for ink blending. It’s wonderful. Cleans easily and holds onto the projects nicely.

As for the markers, My favorite are Copic, but they are currently having problems with the Sketch markers. There’s a problem with the caps so the markers dry out really fast. They have a style called Ciao, also. They don’t offer all of the colors in this style but a good bit of them and these seem to be fine. Two other brands worth checking out - Ohuhu and Olo.

Reply With Quote Likes
OneDevotedDame (05-05-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 11:07 AM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Quote:

If you want to try alcohol markers before you start buying the higher priced options, Amazon has much cheap'er sets for not much money. I got a bag with 120 colors for about 25 colors. The markers are fine and I've decided to use them from now on as I really can't justify spending the more expensive markers with the current financial state my husband and I are in.

Hope this helps,
Tracy
Reply With Quote Likes
OneDevotedDame (05-05-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 11:16 AM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

If you want to try alcohol markers before investing in the really good brands, you can get 120 alcohol markers for about $25 at Amazon. I bought a set for my granddaughter and one for myself and they work fine. I honestly can't justify spending the amount of money that it would take to buy a whole set of more expensive markers, and these work fine.

Hope this helps,
Tracy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2024, 03:49 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 473 Likes on 312 Posts

My Tim Holtz stamping platform!!!!
Jeremiah 29:11
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni | Proud FanClub member since 2017
My
Gallery
| My Blog
"The wind of Heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears."
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by DancesWithHooves:
allee's (05-14-2024), bzzzeee (05-09-2024), cheermom (05-07-2024), TeeGeeDee (05-10-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 08:53 AM   #16  

Received 1,401 Likes on 527 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by InkyTexanView Post
"...my husband found them at one of his guitar stores a bit cheaper"
Love it! Isn't it fun when tools from one hobby can cross over to another? Sometimes I get to feeling guilty for how much stuff I have accumulated over the years. But then when my husband comes and says, "Do you happen to have something I could use for ______?" and I find just the right thing, then I feel justified!
I felt that way during the years my 3 daughters had school projects! I let them use anything they could find in my stamp area and it made me feel even better about my hobby (as a side note, their teachers were always impressed with the materials used on their school projects lol. I confessed I was a paper crafter and let them use everything I had).
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by cnsteele:
InkyTexan (05-07-2024), lovinpaper (05-07-2024), MangieB (05-08-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 08:56 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnsteeleView Post
I felt that way during the years my 3 daughters had school projects! I let them use anything they could find in my stamp area and it made me feel even better about my hobby (as a side note, their teachers were always impressed with the materials used on their school projects lol. I confessed I was a paper crafter and let them use everything I had).
We used the good stuff for school as well. I always thought they did better work with better product. We used Crayola a lot as well, but paper was better construction paper or any of my craft stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2024, 11:32 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Yep, we do the same thing here -- the kids use my supplies for projects -- except, we homeschool, so I get to justify *a lot* of hobby stuff for educational purposes.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by OneDevotedDame:
cnsteele (05-07-2024), Kristy Tyra (05-08-2024), Redeemed (05-08-2024), whim6915 (05-07-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 11:37 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Yep, we do the same thing here -- the kids use my supplies for projects -- except, we homeschool, so I get to justify *a lot* of hobby stuff for educational purposes.
We home educated as well. It is nice to use those supplies for many things.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by lovinpaper:
OneDevotedDame (05-07-2024), Redeemed (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 01:49 PM   #20  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After crafting for some time, I do have a large collection! 😉
Recently I have purchased a Silhouette cutting machine and I am in a new world. I could’ve saved a fortune on the dies I have purchased over the years & being able to cut letters or numbers at any size is just one bonus.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2024, 03:29 AM   #21  
Cardstock Collector

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Empress Die Cutting Machine

I had the Gemini Jr and hated it. Bought this one after Jennifer (you all know her!) recommended it so highly. IT IS AWESOME!!

Last edited by Reschy; 05-09-2024 at 03:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
ChrisO (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 08:52 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovinpaperView Post
I have Tonic scissors that I used for cutting rubber stamps and other items, so when my husband was looking for scissors, I showed him them. He loves them! He said he may need to purchase a pair. That reminds me of a Jennifer McGuire video where she talked about her scissors disappearing as her husband or another family member kept helping themselves to her scissors, so she bought several and placed them throughout her house.
I tie a big piece of pink ribbon through the handle loop of MY scissors so one mistakes them for the kind you use to open boxes or snip metal with
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by mshatzma:
OneDevotedDame (05-09-2024), skyp (05-09-2024), whim6915 (05-09-2024)