Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-23-2005, 09:45 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAQ??? What the heck is that???

I'm still discovering new things on this site and have yet to figure out what FAQ does. What is it for and how do I use it?? :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 09:47 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Smile

Frequently Asked Questions

I'm assuming you just click on FAQ and maybe some of your other questions would be answered there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 09:51 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

thanx. Holy cow that was a fast response!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 10:34 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Heh. This reminds me of an old (OLD) usenet joke...

Q. How many usenetters does it take to change a lightbulb?
A. Read the FAQ!!

Wow. That not only shows my age, but my supreme level of geekiness. My other favorite answer was "This discussion belongs on sci.engineering.lighting!" (I'm sure I'm the only one laughing.)

Aaaanyway...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 10:54 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassandranet
Heh. This reminds me of an old (OLD) usenet joke...

Q. How many usenetters does it take to change a lightbulb?
A. Read the FAQ!!

Wow. That not only shows my age, but my supreme level of geekiness. My other favorite answer was "This discussion belongs on sci.engineering.lighting!" (I'm sure I'm the only one laughing.)

Aaaanyway...
My boyfriend's a software engineer so I'm laughing right along with ya! I know I'm gonna catch it for saying this, but honestly I wish more people would read the FAQ section here at SCS and the stickies at the top of each forum section -- the same questions get asked at least three times a week in something like five different threads!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 01:13 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4d
My boyfriend's a software engineer so I'm laughing right along with ya! I know I'm gonna catch it for saying this, but honestly I wish more people would read the FAQ section here at SCS and the stickies at the top of each forum section -- the same questions get asked at least three times a week in something like five different threads!

I agree. I especially get a >< frustrated when someone asks a question that is directly answered in the first post in the thread! But I take a deep breath. We don't all have the same reading comprehension level and that's ok.

The atmosphere here is so nice and helpful and no one seems to mind answering the same questions over and over. But I know plenty of places where they really WOULD yell 'Read the FAQ!' at you. Most of the time I prefer this atmosphere.

But, I hear ya! It WOULD be nice if everyone would read the stickies at the top of the forums.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 01:53 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile FAQ........

By the way.... the FAQ button here on Splitcoast does not lead you to questions and answers about stamping. In fact, the first thing that opens is a search box rather than a list. After getting that far, it took me a few weeks to figure out that the FAQ list only contains items related to the forums, threads, how to post, membership, etc.
In order to find questions and answers related to stamps, designs, techniques, adhesives, UPS, or how to be nice to your mother-in-law, you will first need to go to one of the forums. Then you click on the "Search this Forum" button over on the right side. Type in a word and you will get a bazillion threads that contain the word you are looking for.
Advance Search gives you a bunch more options, such as searching only in titles, etc.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 02:43 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnetJ
By the way.... the FAQ button here on Splitcoast does not lead you to questions and answers about stamping. In fact, the first thing that opens is a search box rather than a list. After getting that far, it took me a few weeks to figure out that the FAQ list only contains items related to the forums, threads, how to post, membership, etc.
In order to find questions and answers related to stamps, designs, techniques, adhesives, UPS, or how to be nice to your mother-in-law, you will first need to go to one of the forums. Then you click on the "Search this Forum" button over on the right side. Type in a word and you will get a bazillion threads that contain the word you are looking for.
Advance Search gives you a bunch more options, such as searching only in titles, etc.
Ah, yes, searching before starting a new thread -- that's a whole new can of worms...

Not that I don't mind answering questions. Far from it, in fact. However, I know that out of over 40,000 people I can't be the only one who wishes that someone would click through the first few pages of new posts to see if something had been asked before. Just a week or two ago, a couple of new threads started cropping up asking a question that had already been asked and answered twice the day before! I'm sure I sound like a horrible meanie who hates newbies. I don't! Really! I just wish folks would take five minutes and surf around for a bit when they're in a hurry to find info instead of posting another thread and then bumping it three times over a span of an hour and a half because we didn't jump fast enough to respond!

Okay, vent over. I promise. In a few short days this academic quarter will be over and I'll be MUCH less stressed -- at least till I'm fully immersed in my thesis project next month, LOL! ;)

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 02:56 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

I don't think we should dampen anyone's interest or enthusiasm in stamping since this is the reason why we come to this site. Noone forces anyone else to read any post nor feel compelled to answer it. Nor should we assume lack of reading comprehension is why someone may have inadvertently posted a "repeat" question. I appreciate all the helpful folks who answer my questions despite the fact they may have been asked previously!

Last edited by digby; 08-23-2005 at 03:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 03:18 PM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheryl, I totally agree! There's always someone who's more than willing to answer any question, no matter how many times it has been asked before. If it bothers anyone, they should just move on!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 03:24 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by digby
I don't think we should dampen anyone's interest or enthusiasm in stamping since this is the reason why come to this site. Noone forces anyone else to read any post nor feel compelled to answer it. Nor should we assume lack of reading comprehension is why someone may have inadvertently posted a "repeat" question. I appreciate all the helpful folks who answer my questions despite the fact they may have been asked previously!

Thank you! I was thinking just that!
Some people have also never been on a forum before therefore none of this makes sense so we should have the courtesy to help them out in any way we can. I know I was appreciative when I first joined.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 03:35 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by digby
I don't think we should dampen anyone's interest or enthusiasm in stamping since this is the reason why we come to this site. Noone forces anyone else to read any post nor feel compelled to answer it. Nor should we assume lack of reading comprehension is why someone may have inadvertently posted a "repeat" question. I appreciate all the helpful folks who answer my questions despite the fact they may have been asked previously!
ITA! If you get annoyed, stop hanging around the sites & suggestions forum. I find it more annoying to hear someone putting down someone who inadvertently posted a "repeat" question, than the repeat question itself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 04:57 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Default A clarification...

In my previous post, I wasn't referring to people who start a new thread to ask a question when I mentioned "reading comprehension". I was making a light-hearted statement about people who post to the same thread to ask a question. (For instance, if Person A posts "I bought these at Target for $3." and the very next post is from Person B asking "How much were they?") I mentioned that that scenario makes me a tiny bit (>

Last edited by Cassandranet; 08-23-2005 at 05:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 05:31 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

I know. I just hate for anyone to feel their questions weren't welcome. That's one of things I like so much is about SCS: that people are so willing to help -especially newcomers who are so excited or eager to learn. I just hope if "repeat" questions or missed information in the same post bugs someone they can choose not to answer or answer in such a way that doesn't make the poster feel like they should have known better. That's all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 05:36 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

[QUOTE=Cassandranet]In my previous post, I wasn't referring to people who start a new thread to ask a question when I mentioned "reading comprehension". I was making a light-hearted statement about people who post to the same thread to ask a question. (For instance, if Person A posts "I bought these at Target for $3." and the very next post is from Person B asking "How much were they?") I mentioned that that scenario makes me a tiny bit (>

My Stampin' Up! blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2005, 05:47 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Default SCS

SCS is a wonderful place to be. I am also new to this site (June) and trust me its not just the new people that ask questions more than once, how about the people like myself that have a "seniors moment".

Whether its it once, twice or three times I always learn something.

Thanks for sharing. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes