Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-19-2005, 11:05 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fair price for Christmas cards?

I know Christmas is a long time away, but its just something that occurred to me today. How much do you think would be a reasonable amount to sell handmade Christmas cards for? Everyone at work also flips over my cards, and I was thinking I could make some extra Christmas money by making Christmas cards for them. But I have no idea what I would charge. Maybe $10 for 10 cards? Or is that too low? There would be a lot of time involved, but I don't want to charge too much money or people won't buy them. Have any of you ever done this? What did you charge?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2005, 11:15 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have been selling my cards for $2 each. I think 10 for 10 is way too low, especially if you put embellishments on them or even put much time into them. I just sold 6 thank you cards to someone for 10, which is also fair. I also made packs of 2 cards with a bookmark - in a cello bag with a topper - and sold them for $5 to raise money for my daughter's trip this summer and sold every one. If they are nice cards, no one will balk at 2 each or even more. Those who do just don't appreciate the work you put into them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2005, 11:21 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

I definately put a lot of time into my cards. Just look at my gallery lol. None of those cards were "quickies". I don't know how to do quick. As my MIL is fond of saying, I don't make things, I give birth to them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2005, 12:53 PM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

Smile

I was very hesitant to charge more than $2 per card when I first started selling them but after a few shows and after comparison shopping, I realized that they are worth more. Please don't sell yourself short. Your time, effort and creativity are worth paying for! Yes, it's a fun hobby but it also has monetary value so, don't undervalue your work.

I offer my cards for $3.50 a piece or 5 for $15.00 and folks almost always go for the 5 for $15.00 deal. Every card comes with a matching envelope and is packaged in a sealed clear, plastic sleeve (I always have one sample card open for people to handle).
$1 or $2 is too little to charge for a one-a-kind or limited-edition handmade card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2005, 12:59 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhiamon
I definately put a lot of time into my cards. Just look at my gallery lol. None of those cards were "quickies". I don't know how to do quick. As my MIL is fond of saying, I don't make things, I give birth to them.
I tried to look at your gallery, but since some of the member numbers have changed slightly the link in your signature takes me to someone else's (empty) gallery! Just thought you'd like to know!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2005, 01:36 PM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Rhiamon~

The cards in your gallery are beautiful!

Although I believe that it depends on your "market"...you should definately think of selling your cards for much more than $1/each....Hallmark's mass produced cards are at least $3 and they don't have embellishments!

I sell my cards with the similar pricing structure of auntdenise. Everybody loves a deal and they are likely to buy more cards if they "spot a deal". My "simple" cards are $2.50/each or 5 for $10...I still make $ on my cards at $2 piece because these do not have any embellishments other than ribbon.

hth!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2005, 02:01 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

doh! Thanks for letting me know about my sig, didnt even think about the numbers thing. It's fixed now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2005, 04:06 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile I like the analogy about Hallmark

Their cards are always more than $2.50 these days are aren't nearly as nifty as these I see here!

That being said, I know it is hard to figure out pricing.

Good luck, and I think it is a great idea to make Cards for Christmas!
Reply With Quote Likes