Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-17-2006, 08:18 AM   #41  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just subscribing to this thread too.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2006, 09:06 AM   #42  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a question sorry if it's a repeat.But has anyone just tried putting the Alenes o&o directly right on the rubber without any cushion just curious or will it not stamp that great because you need cushion so you don't hit the edges of the block.clear stamps don't have any cushion so I was just wondering if anyone has tried this.

I am waiting to see if SU comes out with an option this year for us before I switch over everything.I might just keep what I have mounted on wood for selling or trading purposes later on.in the event that I might not be able to trade them later if not on wood.Other wise I might take $1.00 stamp and try it first to see if I like it or not.

If I do I think I will get some Alene's how much is the Alene's o&o and how far does a bottle take you.like how many stamps can you mount with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2006, 10:07 AM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Lisa!

I have a number of stamps that have the TackItOverandOver directly on the rubber with no cushion and they work just fine. Most of them are smallish stamps - the thing to do is use Scotch Poster tape to hold the stamp on your block and see how it stamps. If you get a nice clear even impression, then you know you can put the TackIt directly on the rubber.

I've heard of ladies that don't put cushion on any of their stamps - they say that if you use a pad of paper or a piece of fun foam under your work, it acts as a cushion itself, but I've never tried that.

I found my TackIt glue at Michaels, I know they also sell it at JoAnn's and I would bet WalMart would carry it. It's $5 or less for a bottle, and it seems to last a good long time. I just put a small spot of glue on the back of the stamp and spread it around with my finger - you just need a thin layer to get it to stick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2006, 01:34 PM   #44  
Rubber Obsessor

HI There:
Oh boy. Am i confused. I've become interested in Acrylic Blocks for the storage issue also AND i like the idea of changing my alpha sets over to UM. Unfortunately i am REALLY hesitant to do anything that might hurt my stamps!!! does anyone out there have the patience to give me a quick literal step by step on how to do about it? i've read about the O&O and the EZMount and am confused on that... the o&o is a liquid or something that makes the stmaps sticky on the backside, right? that's what goes onto the acrylics. the EZ mount is literally a piece of foam or something, right?

HELP? and i am SO sorry for sounding like a dunce!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2006, 04:33 PM   #45  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by bomengl
HI There:
Oh boy. Am i confused. I've become interested in Acrylic Blocks for the storage issue also AND i like the idea of changing my alpha sets over to UM. Unfortunately i am REALLY hesitant to do anything that might hurt my stamps!!! does anyone out there have the patience to give me a quick literal step by step on how to do about it? i've read about the O&O and the EZMount and am confused on that... the o&o is a liquid or something that makes the stmaps sticky on the backside, right? that's what goes onto the acrylics. the EZ mount is literally a piece of foam or something, right?

HELP? and i am SO sorry for sounding like a dunce!
Your right about what the o/o stuff is. Tackit over and over is an adhesive, the bottle looks just like tacky glue, and it comes out of the bottle like that as well. So, the bottle would make as many applications to stamps as you'd picture a bottle of tacky glue to. The price for the bottle was around $4 I believe. I purchased mine at Michaels, but have seen it at other stores mentioned as well.
Lots of people put the o/o right on the backside of the stamps. But like you, I was hesitant to try it anything on my stamps, especially since I didn't know if I would like the UM systems. That's why I elected to put the O/O stuff on the block instead. I figured if I didn't like the system I could put goo gone or something on the block to take the sticky off of it. (I did a test run, it did come off the block with a little work) If you do go the sticky block method, apply the glue, let it dry, and just the first time stick it to your hand or a piece of cloth to reduce the tackyness a touch. Added benefit- only have to handle a few sticky blocks, rather than hundreds of sticky stamps!
I have been using a couple sets from SU that I just trimmed the rubber, left the paper backing on the stamp, and set it on my sticky block. It's working just fine for me, I don't do alot of repetitive stamping- only 1-5 cards at a time.
By the way, I've heard of people just using double stick tape to do a temporary mount as well.
It's been my experience that the smaller stamps do better without a cushion. My bigger stamps all have a cushion, so I've never tried it without.

I've been putting a permanent marker arrow on the back so I know which side is up (I sometimes find it hard to tell just from looking at the rubber- like words, alphas, etc)

the EZ mount looks just like the stuff when you get a new SU set, a built in cushion, except for that it is not sticky on both sides. The EZ mount foam is purchased by the sheet. You peel off a backing revealing a permanent stick that you put your rubber onto. the other side is without a coating, and sticks temporarily to the block. It really is nice not to have to deal with any of the sticky business. But the product really is nice- I love the stamps that I have done with EZ mount. It just takes some time and a little money investment up front, and it was too much for me to handle at this time.

I havent UM everything I own yet, but I've already cut my storage needs in half or better! you'll love the extra storage. I figure I can always purchase a permanent adhesive and put it back on a block and into a case if I want to sell. (I have a hard time letting go). Also keep in mind, the number of people who are using UM stamps is forever increasing.

I didn't really give a step by step tutorial, but hopefully I answered your other questions. Anyone else want to chime in on this topic?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2006, 09:22 PM   #46  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am just starting to use UM stamps. The system I have come up with is this:
1 Trim the unmounted rubber, same as you would SU new stamps
2 Using Ailene's Tack it Over and Over, coat one inside side of a CD case for
storage - let dry
3 using the O and O coat various size acrylic blocks- let dry

If the UM stamps are just rubber, with no cushion whatsoever, they are VERY easy to keep clean. And they don't have any sticky anything on them. They are either stuck to the inside of the CD case, or stuck on the block, when being used. And for me, size doesn't matter (??) What I mean is this works great on larger stamps as well as smaller stamps. That is, as long as it is small
enough to fit in a CD case
I stamp the images on a piece of cardstock that I mount on the inside of each CD case. I try to keep themes together.
I started this with UM stamps that I bought at a convention -- and now I am starting to use the same system for my SU sets. Otherwise I'll run out of room.
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions re this.
Hope this helps and doesn't cause more confusion !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2006, 09:24 AM   #47  
Crimping Master

Can someone please post a picture of your stamps in a CD case? I just don't see how sets will fit into one case. I tried an unmounted set, with SU! foam still on it, and it got smooshed.
TIA, mary h.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2006, 11:48 AM   #48  
Kookie Creator

I dont have a picture scanned in but you have to purchase "standard size" CD cases.. not the slim ones... and you have to take the black round insert out so you are just working with clar plastic.. .. They fit great.. I dedicated one CD case to each stamp set.. and put the sticker sheet inside.. I also scanned the sticker sheets and put them in a binder for reference.. then alpha batized my CD cases.. I did put things like Loads of lonv & the accessories in one CD case all together but I like to keep all of mine seprate..

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhutch
Can someone please post a picture of your stamps in a CD case? I just don't see how sets will fit into one case. I tried an unmounted set, with SU! foam still on it, and it got smooshed.
TIA, mary h.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2006, 02:36 AM   #49  
Glitter Guru

I am also wondering how the thickness of a rubber stamp with the backing on it will fit in these ,since they are too close in thickness and I would hate to crushed them and ruin the stamp.Sp I am thinking about the binder storage.Just buy one of those extra wide binders with something hard to put in between the plastic sheets.then stamp each image on the paper to put the stamps back in the same place when done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2006, 01:15 PM   #50  
Rubber Obsessor

Oh, thank you thank you thank you! This was a very big help. You and Cathy H. It is just so much information it can be mind boggling.

I really appreciate the help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2006, 07:17 AM   #51  
Mad Swapper

I tried the Tackit stuff several years ago and found it messy, it wore off, it collected dirt etc. Recently I start unmounting everything. For those with sticky foam on them I just use Grafix cling vinyl sheets. For those without the foam I use EZ mount.

One warning. Be careful with the CD cases that the tabs and the left edge don't squish the stamps. Otherwise they work beautifully. I just don't position anything near any of the protrusions on the edges.

The space saving is great but what I like even more is the ease of this method and no more bulky stained blocks to deal with. I have so much more working room without blocks all over the place. Additionally, it is heaven to be able to position each image perfectly because you can see right through that block. The blocks with the grids (Provo brand) are awesome!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2006, 04:06 PM   #52  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe this has been said or maybe not -- by using the Tack it Over and Over again on the CD case and the acrylic block, you DON"T have to put ANY on the rubber itself. The point is so that you can really soak the rubber if you need to. You can get it REALLY clean and not worry about removing any of the tack it over and over and having to reapply. Just my 2 cents worth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2006, 08:26 AM   #53  
Polyshrink Goddess

I purchased 2 unmounted stamps and received them last week. On Saturday, I picked up a "fun foam" door hanger on clearance for $0.25 and a bottle of tack it over and over. I coated the back of the stamp with rubber cement and glued them onto the foam. Then I coated the back of the foam with tack it over and over and let it all dry overnight. The next a.m., I stuck the glue backs onto my hand a few times to make them not quite so sticky and placed them onto a wood block that had packing tape on it and it worked perfectly! I am thrilled and I thank you all for the insight. I would have never learned this on my own!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2006, 08:34 AM   #54  
Crimping Master

How do you put the alpha sets in the CD cases? Do you use 2 or 3 for one set? I have a lot of alphas so this is important to me.
TIA, mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2006, 01:37 PM   #55  
Pearl-ExPert

For alphabets - or any set too big for one cd case - you can just use as many cases as you need and label them (1 of 3, 2 of 3, 3 of 3). This is how my lovely mother handles it.

Or, I use binders for these. I had some really thick heat laminating film that I bought by mistake; I ran it thru the laminator without anything inside it and ended up with some thick, heavy, clear storage sheets. I 3-hole punched them and have them in a zippable binder.

So I have some stamps I'm leaving on the wood mounts for now, some that are unmounted and stored in cd cases, and some that are unmounted and stored in binders. I'm working on getting them indexed in a binder so that I can find the image in my main binder and have it noted what set it belongs to and where it's stored.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2006, 04:22 PM   #56  
Matboard Maniac

I've enjoyed reading everyones replies! I think I'm finally ready to make the swap to UM. I found an Ebay store that sells 10 sheets of EX for $29.95 so in a couple of days I should be good to go.

Now I'm trying to decide if I'd rather do the CD cases OR have a binder to hold everything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 07:47 AM   #57  
Matboard Maniac

Do you keep your "sets" together? Or brea them up by themes?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 09:00 AM   #58  
Stampin' Fool

I have an index binder that have all my stamped images by set.
I usually keep them stored in the CD case by set too, but if it has a sentiment stamp, I break that out and keep those together in a different case. Other ones that I break out of a set are Christmas ones. (example A Greeting for all reasons has some words, and holly leaf. Or Tags and more has the to/from stamp and the snowman)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 04:32 PM   #59  
Compulsive Stamper

Default EZ Mount cushion

I have found EZ Mount cushion at Cornish Heritage Farms website(www.cornishheritagefarms.com) . They call it Smart Cushion. It is priced at 3.29 for a 10X8 sheet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 06:10 PM   #60  
Insane Embellisher

I've heard of people putting their larger sets and background stamps in DVD cases as opposed to CD cases

I haven't - I just store mine in multiple CD cases. I have one set that is too long so it's still in the clam shell box that they come in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2006, 08:36 PM   #61  
Compulsive Stamper

Hi,
After reading this thread, I took the plunge and unmounted almost all of my stamping up sets. I have about 150 sets done so far. I am using Grafix from Michaels. I actually cut up the box that they came in and stuck the stamps to the lid of the plastic box. I slid the stamps (on the flat lid) into a 5 3/4 x 8 3/4 envelope. I have about 50 envelopes (or unmounted set) in a plastic storage box (Sweater size). I bought a luggage cart for 1.00 at a garage sale--and bungee cords from the Dollar Store--I can store 200 stamp sets in a space of about 3 feet high and 2 feet square. Hope this makes sense--I'm so excited about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2006, 06:49 AM   #62  
Glitter Queen

Without reading the entire thread - has anyone used Un-du to remove their stamps from the wood?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2006, 09:13 AM   #63  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdwdnw
Without reading the entire thread - has anyone used Un-du to remove their stamps from the wood?
I never tried un-du, no. I had very little trouble getting my stamps off the wood after putting them in the microwave for 5 or 10 seconds first. This makes the rubber and cushion come off pretty easily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2006, 11:03 AM   #64  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnighstamper
Hi,
After reading this thread, I took the plunge and unmounted almost all of my stamping up sets. I have about 150 sets done so far. I am using Grafix from Michaels. I actually cut up the box that they came in and stuck the stamps to the lid of the plastic box. I slid the stamps (on the flat lid) into a 5 3/4 x 8 3/4 envelope. I have about 50 envelopes (or unmounted set) in a plastic storage box (Sweater size). I bought a luggage cart for 1.00 at a garage sale--and bungee cords from the Dollar Store--I can store 200 stamp sets in a space of about 3 feet high and 2 feet square. Hope this makes sense--I'm so excited about it.
What is Grafix and where is it located at Michael's??? Saw this Grafix mentioned by annabelle1974 here too. Sounds cool! THanks for any help anyone can give me!!

Last edited by MaryJo Marshall; 06-22-2006 at 11:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2006, 11:11 AM   #65  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

What is Grafix and where is it located at Michael's???
It seems that not all Michael's stores have it. If they do, it's in back with other kid's art supplies - near the posterboard, vinyl letters, paint markers, funky tape, that sort of thing. Not with the Crayola stuff and boxed craft projects for kids - way in back, near where they keep the Prismacolor pencils and oil paints.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2006, 11:30 AM   #66  
Gabfest Goddess

Thank you soooo much...have to go check it out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2006, 05:09 PM   #67  
Embossing Fanatic

At the Blockheads website some folks were mentioning for the Leave Memories stamps they sell EZ Mount five sheets for $18.75. That is slightly less than the $4.00. They also sell storage sheets for the unmounted stamps that fit in 3 ring notebooks. It's www.blockheads.com, I think, but you can google blockheads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2006, 05:12 PM   #68  
Stampin' Fool

Try The Stampin Place for EZ mount sheets, cling sheet, and storage sheets.

http://www.stampin.com/online/accs/mounts.htm#cling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2006, 01:32 PM   #69  
Stampin' Fool

Default un du

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdwdnw
I havent used the un-du, although I'm sure it would work just fine. I did the microwave method when I unmounted many of my stamps. Put the block (with stamp attached) in the micro for about 15 sec, then use your thumb to peel the rubber and cushion off the block. Don't plan on doing too many at a time, otherwise your thumb will get really sore. The only thing is I didn't have any luck with this method getting the Michael $ stamps off though. Maybe the un-du would work on those.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2006, 05:20 PM   #70  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnhyrkas
Put the block (with stamp attached) in the micro for about 15 sec, then use your thumb to peel the rubber and cushion off the block. Don't plan on doing too many at a time, otherwise your thumb will get really sore..

I second that! I did 60 sets in 1 day and believe me my thumbs were soooooo sore that night!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2006, 05:35 PM   #71  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

In a trade, I received a set of unmounted stamps. Just rubber and the layer of foam. What do I do to make a sticky surface? And, do I just buy an acrylic block?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2006, 01:15 PM   #72  
Stampin' Fool

If it's mounted to EZ mount foam, then all you'd need is an acrylic block. No sticky required.
you can try it and see if it sticks to the bottom of a glass or similar slick even surface to check.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2006, 05:55 PM   #73  
Gabfest Goddess

In an earlier post someone said they use Grafix static cling. Couldn't find it at Hobby Lobby yesterday and wondered if my old window clings would do the same thing. SOOOO, today I used some old window clings that I don't use anymore. I took the backing paper off the new stamp and put it on the front of the window cling, (picture part up) then cut around it like normal. Then I just put it on my acrylic block, ink it up, stamp and clean it off and put it into regular cd cases!! It is soooo cool and I have sooo many of those window clings from when my kids were little and we decorated the windows for holidays!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2006, 04:54 PM   #74  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently bought some static cling sheets and used this for my SU stamp sets that hadn't been "put together" yet. Works great!

I also recently purchased Alene's Tack It Over and Over glue to use on the sets that I have put together already. (I have many many sets.) I haven't used this YET, but that is my plan.

I also just ordered the starter set for the EZ Mount stuff at Sunday International. They had it on sale for $29.95 plus I got 10% off for leaving a comment about the EZ Mount AND I got a free pair of those rubber gloves for stamping included in the order.

About ten years ago I tried to convert my stamps to unmounted but I can't for the life of me remember what I was using for the sticky part because the static cling thing wasn't really around (at least for me). Was it rubber cement?? Then I changed my mind and was able to sell my binder full of converted stamps. It seems to me that acrylic blocks weren't really around either. LOL

My main goal for converting to unmounted is the space that I should be able to save. I currently have one of those wood cabinets with the acrylic box photo trays for drawers (my mom made it for me) but we're looking at perhaps switching the stamping room to a baby's room. (So we might need less space for my stamps.)

This is a great thread!

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2006, 06:48 AM   #75  
Glitter Queen

But what about the time spent putting a stamp on a block, then removing it to put the next stamp on, then removing it, and so on? Isn't that a hindrance and more time-consuming? I tried some UM stamps before becoming an SU demo, but didn't like the time I spent putting on, taking off, then putting on again. Anyone else experience the same thing?

Sylvia Rowe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2006, 07:55 AM   #76  
Gabfest Goddess

It doesn't bother me to put them on and take them off. I have different size blocks so it isn't a problem. I LOVE my unmounted!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2006, 08:25 AM   #77  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sylvia Rowe
But what about the time spent putting a stamp on a block, then removing it to put the next stamp on, then removing it, and so on? Isn't that a hindrance and more time-consuming?
I think it takes me about the same amount of time. I also have more than one acrylic block... so I don't have to remove the UM right away.. I can just go on to the next stamp, etc., that I need for the project.

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2006, 10:52 AM   #78  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sylvia Rowe
But what about the time spent putting a stamp on a block, then removing it to put the next stamp on, then removing it, and so on? Isn't that a hindrance and more time-consuming? I tried some UM stamps before becoming an SU demo, but didn't like the time I spent putting on, taking off, then putting on again. Anyone else experience the same thing?

Sylvia Rowe
I started out using wood mounted stamps, and a friend sent me some unmounted stamps, I try it. And I liked it!
For me it isn't any different using the unmounted stamps verses using wood mounted stamps.

It take about the same time. I find a stamp set get my ink and paper. Acrylic blocks are ready to be used.
Take my stamp out place it on the block ink it and stamp it.
Peel it off and choose another one.

Wood mounted stamps I choose one use it clean it and put it back in the container.
Two less steps.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2006, 11:41 AM   #79  
Stampin' Fool

for me the storage savings FAR outweighed any minor inconvenience of putting the stamp on the block.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2006, 02:24 PM   #80  
Mad Swapper

I find that the stamping area stays neater because I am forced to clean my stamps as I go. For that reason, I'm really loving the unmounted way.
I bought a set of 4 different sized blocks so I suppose I could use 4 stamps before cleaning .

The ease of positioning saves time also so it's 6 of one & 1/2 dozen the other.
Reply With Quote Likes