Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-07-2006, 11:16 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question expensive hobby?

I have been with Stampin'Up for almost a year now. I've only had three outide parties and two workshops in my house. I enjoy having workshops in my home, but havn't done one for awhile now. I'm satisfied making cards on my own as a hobby? Is this hobby to expensive????????????
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 11:20 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Depends on how much self control you have. It is very addictive.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss." - Jonathan Larson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 11:22 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

If you are having fun, relieving stress, being creative---can you really put a price on that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 11:22 AM   #4  
Watercolor Wizard

I would think if you are a demo and you don't do any workshops, then you have to meet your quarterly quota yourself. If you can afford to do that, then no it probably isn't expensive, but if you find that it is stretching your budget, then you might want to do more workshops and either charge for the workshops or start a club.

For me, it's an expensive hobby because I feel I just have to have this cute stamp set, or that new punch etc. etc. etc. And I'm not a demo. I should become one but then I think it would only get worse.

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 11:27 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Ask any one's dh on here, and I'm sure the answer would be .....YES! Some days I think so too, then I come to my senses. Actually I go through times of guilt, and ? what am I doing, but it's a hobby, and most are expensive. If it makes you happy, and it's not putting you in debt, then enjoy it.
Dina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 11:31 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

It is definitely an expensive hobby, unless you have ultimate self control, which most of us dont. However, I enjoy it and have fun doing it. It is my only hobby (stamping and scrapbooking), I dont drink alcohol, I dont smoke cigarettes ... so I think I am entitled to some kind of fun!!!!! I do wish I had more self control, but such is life, I need everything, lol!!!!! So do what is best for you ... if you love it, I say go for it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 12:15 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Talking It is expensive?

I'm not sure that it is TOO expensive. Don't get me wrong it is expensive, but my DH plays golf. Well after the golf clubs and bag, there are 2 balls lost each game at about $5 each, membership fees at $1500 per year, a driving range pass another $500 per year, and the golf cart licence at $500 per year (golf cart was gift from his parents). He plays an average of 3 games a week for 6 months of the year.

So is stamping/scrapbooking expensive.... yes... but no more expensive that other hobbies. In fact, now that I think about it, I guess I can place another order.... LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 12:18 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just about every "activity" or creative pursuit out there costs: hunting, fishing, boating, vintage car restoration, painting, ceramics/pottery, knitting, sewing . . . I could go on forever!

Many of these activities require tools and equipment, supplies & materials, in some cases, lessons and training to learn more and increase one's skills. . .

And, I'd say that, generally speaking, none of that comes "cheap". But, as someone else said, is the joy of being involved in it good for your soul? If so, is it then worth the investment of dollars from your budget towards it?

As a professional in the field, I probably spend more than the average consumer does, but, I personally do know folks who stamp strictly as a hobby and their expenditures faaaaaaaar exceed mine.

;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 12:22 PM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

I am finding it is getting less and less expensive as I progress. I just had to realize I can't make every cute card I see in the gallery. I know my style and I buy more carefully now.
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 12:25 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think that it doesn't really matter what hobby you have. HOBBIES ARE EXPENSIVE. Unless your hobby is bird watching. But even then, you might want to purchase books to look up habitats of certain kinds of birds. books get expensive...or take pics of the cute little birdies roosting in the tree. Then you gotta have a camera, film, and develop it. All hobbies are expensive. I have seriously considered giving up my demo status, just cause I can't afford to buy stuff every time I sell stuff.

Me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 12:33 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I suppose it can be an expensive hobby if you let it be. It also depends on your definition of expensive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 12:40 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

If you are serious about any hobby, it can be expensive. The "problem" with this type of hobby is that styles are always changing, new embellishments, tools, stamps and papers are being cranked out as fast as the manufacturers are making them and it is a VERY trendy hobby so we get inundated with eye candy ALL THE TIME.
It's true that many people have trouble keeping control on their spending - and I admit I am one of those people when it comes to card making - but if you aren't using your grocery money to buy your fix and you actually use the stuff you buy, I don't see anything wrong with it. A hobby is healthy, it relieves stress, gives you something to look forward to, is fun, helps give your husband more free time for his hobbies without guilt (because I think most husbands feel as guilty about how much TIME they spend on their hobby as we do about how much MONEY we spend on ours.) If the amount you are spending is an amount you can legitimately afford to spend, you're doing fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 12:43 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with most of the comments already posted. I have had many hobbies over the years. Each of them, sewing, counted cross stitch, crafts, etc. can all get expensive. I know one lady who buys all the stuff and then never uses it- that is a problem. If you use what you buy and either give it away (which is what I do) or sell it then it's probably worth it. It definitely beats smoking, drinking or gambling.
My husband does stained glass and golfs. Both of those are very expensive. We are just thankful that we can afford to do these things which stimulate our minds and keep our creative juices flowing. It sure beats sitting in front of the boob tube every night. We spend time together, him working on his glass and me on my stamping. My mother-in-law lives with us and she does one-stroke painting. So we laugh and say, "the family that creates together, stays together!" I consider myself to be a frugal person, so as long as you're not running up your charge cards to support your hobby and are adding to your savings every month, I say enjoy yourself a bit, too. (Sorry to go on & on!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 12:46 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

No this hobby isn't expensive......it's my addiction to everything to do with it that's expensive.
Shelley :}
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 12:50 PM   #15  
Inking Addict

Think of what it would cost you if you bought the stamps separately at Michaels or another craft store. It may be expensive, but worth it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 12:51 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

LOL, Shelley! I think you've hit the nail on the head!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 01:05 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Ok....just think of it this way, if you went to Target every time you needed a card, you would spend over $2.00 per card AND $50-100 dollars on a bunch of other stuff you didn't need/want before you walked through the doors.

You may even get so caught up with all of the other stuff at Target, you forget the card you went to buy. You'll have to go back. That could easily cost another $50-100 dollars.

There ya go. Go place an order already!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 01:08 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

It's cheaper than therapy....:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 01:27 PM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by MUSIKEL
It's cheaper than therapy....:rolleyes:
I love this!!!!! Cheaper than therapy!!!
Yes, it is very expensive but it all depends on your priorities. You can not put a value on the time you spend creating and it takes you away from everything else (stress). As long as you don't answer the phone. lol. I love to hide in my craft corner in the basement.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 01:57 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What a lot of great wisdom already posted! I love SCS!

For what it's worth, I'd say: it's all about balance, honey! We don't want to see you Oprah's Debt Diet 'cause of stampin! LOL! "Expensive" is relative. Feeding that creative joyful part of your spirit is important. It isn't very joyful or nurturing if you're drownding in debt, so making a place in the budget and knowing that being good to yourself has a valid place there is, IMHO, an important piece. (Also, I think the first year or so is more expensive because you're getting a lot of "basic" items.) HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 02:04 PM   #21  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniebean55
(Also, I think the first year or so is more expensive because you're getting a lot of "basic" items.) HTH
AMEN!!

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 02:12 PM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Not much more I can add. It's all been said. I agree, it CAN be expensive but if you go into a hobby full tilt, then it's expensive. My DH is into woodworking and there are always new toys coming out that he "needs". I try not to overdo it but don't feel guilty when I buy something I want. Just keep a rein on it and have fun.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 02:16 PM   #23  
Forum Fanatic

the first year can be more pricey also because of lack of experience with the products out there. frex my mother and sister started out with fiskars shapecutting tools, but after using those a few times and then trying out the coluzzle once in a store, they've converted to the coluzzle (and converted me too! can i be a convert even though i don't have anything coluzzle yet?). it can take a while to figure out what you should get; personal paper trimmers are another example, where often someone will buy the cheaper options two or three times, realise none of them cut straight, and then buy a better quality but more spendy cutting tool which, if they'd bought that in the first place, would have cost much less int eh long run.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 02:20 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahloumel
the first year can be more pricey also because of lack of experience with the products out there. frex my mother and sister started out with fiskars shapecutting tools, but after using those a few times and then trying out the coluzzle once in a store, they've converted to the coluzzle (and converted me too! can i be a convert even though i don't have anything coluzzle yet?). it can take a while to figure out what you should get; personal paper trimmers are another example, where often someone will buy the cheaper options two or three times, realise none of them cut straight, and then buy a better quality but more spendy cutting tool which, if they'd bought that in the first place, would have cost much less int eh long run.
Yup, yup, & yup! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 02:33 PM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

My best friend and I share sets. So we are buying, but having a lot more to use. It is nice if you can find a friend to be addicted with - it does help with the costs.

Intersted in a Scrapbooking Retreat in Ohio - check out Indianbearscrapbooking.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 04:57 PM   #26  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Who in their right mind would want to add up all the money spent on stampin!!! NOt me, not ever! It's better not to know!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 05:09 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Default no more expensive than a racing bike!

Hi,
I have a friend who races with mountain bikes. His bike is worth a small fortune. Then he has to buy all the pads, tools, entry fees for the races. His hobby is very expensive. When I think of this (and golf, skiing), I realize that stamping is no more expensive (even if you have to have everything out there) than many other hobbies out there. I have to justify my spending somehow!! :rolleyes:

Denise

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 05:19 PM   #28  
Glitter Guru

Can you really put a price on the joy stamping & creativing gives? Ok, probably but I'm not gonna try! As all have already said, any hobby is as expensive is you're willing to let it be. I've had dozens of hobbies in my lifetime and spent tons of $$ on all of them. The important part (for me) is the pleasure I get from being able to create something and -- even better -- the immense satisfaction that giving those creations to others gives me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 05:21 PM   #29  
Glitter Guru

Boy do I miss that edit button! Please excuse the typos -- I really did mean creating OR creativity but somehow mangled them together. Geesh!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 06:06 PM   #30  
Glitter Guru

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It's pretty expensive; but a wonderful hobby that brings us as well as others joy! You can't really place a price tag on that!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 06:15 PM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

It's expensive, but worth it. Something that gives me a lot of joy is hard to put a price on. You just have to have self control and only spend your minimums (unless you can afford more). I've only sold a very very minimal amount since I started so I've been making my own minimums since August. It's definitely something that's do-able!

Family is not defined by the blood that runs through your veins, but by those who are willing to spill their blood for you.

Do you"Quack!"???

My lil Gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 07:14 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, I think the vast majority of rubber stamps and supplies are over priced! You can buy often buy tape, glue, buttons and other items in a non craft store and pay far less than in a craft store -- either a chain or a locally owned one. The local stores offer classes and charm and advice and that is worth it, but the closest one to my house is 35 minutes a way. The internet isn't saving me money -- it is too darn easy to spend and watch out for those darn shipping charges. As long as we are willing to pay these prices, there will be someone there to sell it to us.

Don't get me wrong, check my latest blog entry from earlier this evening and you will see that I am part of the problem. I've had a loonngg talk with myself recently, due to changed family finances, and like Kristina (above) I've realized that there comes a time when the stamping must continue without buying every new thing and every wonderful set. I've been selling off a lot of stuff to finance my purchases, but I've also started to take baby steps to get a grip on my spending...

To that end, I'm walking away from my SU demoship -- too easy to order!! -- and although I'm still a demo and could do so, I've managed to not order anything from the holiday mini and won't get a thing.

I guess I feel guilty about the amount I have been spending. So, my answer is yes -- the stuff is overpriced and yes, -- for ME -- I've been spending too much and it is time to put on the brakes.

However, whether it is "too much" is an individual decision! Stamping brings so much joy and fun to my life that I am no way giving it up -- just using what I have before jumping to buy more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 07:21 PM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

My SIL who has 3 horses just for fun, who had to purchase 2 new dodge trucks and a new horse trailer, who calls the vet more than her mom, and has to purchase all the feed each month, saw my starting collection of stamps (8 sets at the time) and said, she could never stamp cards cause the hobby is just too expensive. HA! Hardy Ha Ha. and Ha. Whatever.

I agree with the posts of the first year. Also I tried to "save" money by running to every craft store in town with coupons and sales to get products that didn't match and I couldn't use. Now that I have all the paper products from SU and the chalks/watercolors/inks and color wheel, I find I am spending way way way less altogether on scrapping and paper products, and they look fabulous. Its one thing to give a card and have the person say, oh how nice and thoughtful, and another for the reaction of OH WOW This is Fabulous, how do you do it????? (oh schedule a class and i'd love to show you haa haa)

Now, if they'd just quit coming out with mini cats and new cats I do better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2006, 09:09 PM   #34  
Forum Fanatic

The first year is expensive for me. I had no experience with tools or anything. I also bought stamping/scrapbooking items because they were cute and such, not thinking would I ever use it. I started this hobby a year and a half ago. I don't have anything that I bought when I started out. I didn't know brand from brand and what was better then others. Now I do.

But once you find your style, and brands you are comfortable with then it gets a little easier. I have no self control when it comes to spending. I spent probably close to 10 grand this past year on stuff.

When I was growing up my dad bought beat up cars and trucks and turned them into race cars. Now thats an expensive hobby. He still does it now actually. Sometimes he jokes out how addicted I am and then I mention his garage. Then I feel better because I know I am not alone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2006, 01:21 PM   #35  
Inking Addict

Only you know if you can afford or want to spend $1,200.00 a year on stamping. If not you may want to give up being a demonstrator but buy what you want as a Hostess. You would still get free things without the pressure of a quota. I stamp with a group of women. We use our own supplies but we share our stamps and ideas. We have a stampin'up demonstator in our group and send in an order every other month. We take turns being the hostess and getting the goodies. We enjoy the creativity of stamping and the fellowship. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2006, 01:23 PM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

I think if a person ever priced following NASCAR or scuba diving or collecting antique autos, growing orchids, or some of the other hobbies...stamps might be one of the cheaper endeavors. Don't want to hijack but might be a fun thread to start...what is more expensive than a stamp hobby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2006, 01:38 PM   #37  
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

Received 379 Likes on 324 Posts

Most hobbies are expensive!! I know guys who played paint ball and they spent some cash! I know people who go to Renaissance Festivals every year in whole new costumes, not cheap! Photography, expensive. And on and on. ;) Whether or not it is too expensive is a personal choice. Do I spend too much? Yes, I do. I'm getting better about using my stuff, though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2006, 01:41 PM   #38  
Hardware Hotshot

NO! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2006, 05:53 PM   #39  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Also, I think as you get more images you feel less compelled to buy every new set because you start to think of what you already have. But in the beginning (especially as a demo) you feel like you need to have a set for every occassion (like I have baby and graduation stamps that I've never personally used). Then there are the "special" stamps (like limited editions, stamps of the month, etc) that you feel like you need to buy to show. Etc, etc.

IF you are doing this mainly as a hobby I'd try to only buy what you LOVE and personally will use.

Can you get a club started from your existing customers? They meet each month and spend x-amount and then rotate the hostess benefits? That'd be a way to meet your minimums more easily. Also, you could make yourself one of the members to make your spending a little more spread out.

It can be expensive...but heck, I spend over $400 a month on groceries that we eat and crap out the other end. So if I spend $50 a month on stamps/papers and it brings me long term joy (and no excess fat) then I'm a happy person! ;-)

Jane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2006, 06:15 PM   #40  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by raestamps
Ok....just think of it this way, if you went to Target every time you needed a card, you would spend over $2.00 per card AND $50-100 dollars on a bunch of other stuff you didn't need/want before you walked through the doors.

You may even get so caught up with all of the other stuff at Target, you forget the card you went to buy. You'll have to go back. That could easily cost another $50-100 dollars.

There ya go. Go place an order already!
LOL! How true! I do the same thing every time I shop at SAM's (Cosco in other areas). I go in to purchase a few things on sale, and come home with way more than I planned to buy!

Seriously, my demo probably has several independent workshops each month, but she also has special techniques and stamp-a-stack workshops at her house at least twice a month. She will always get her regulars (like me!), plus a few guests that those of us bring along. She said it was easy to make her quota.
Reply With Quote Likes