Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-27-2007, 07:43 AM   #41  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Mel. I needed this thread cause I am one of those that see others cards and I don't think I can do a card like that when I start making them. It takes me to send the card to someone else to see how they like it. I noone is perfect and nothin is perfect.

thanks again.

happy stamping,
tami
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2007, 08:40 AM   #42  
Forum Fanatic

Wow, it feels like just about every post someone says something that makes me go, "Holy moly, other people have had these thoughts about their cards too??"

As kind of a contrast to the original post, I was thinking last night about another podcast I listen to, called Filmically Perfect. The hosts have a list of "perfect movies" and one of the points they emphasise every single podcast is that the movies on their list cannot be ranked as better than another in any numerical order -- they are all perfect in their own scale. I think the cards we make are the same way in a lot of ways -- they can't be ranked and all have perfection in their own scale. Could you imagine all the great movies we'd never have seen if Clint Eastwood decided not to become a director because he decided he could never make a movie like David Lean's "Lawrence of Arabia"? Or if he gave up on acting early on because his fluffy role in "Paint Yer Wagon" is nothing like the coveted one he eventually played so brilliantly, drawing on a lifetime of experience, in "Unforgiven"?

I'm probably not making a lot of sense, but at the very least I get to bump this thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2007, 08:54 AM   #43  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahloumel
Wow, it feels like just about every post someone says something that makes me go, "Holy moly, other people have had these thoughts about their cards too??"

As kind of a contrast to the original post, I was thinking last night about another podcast I listen to, called Filmically Perfect. The hosts have a list of "perfect movies" and one of the points they emphasise every single podcast is that the movies on their list cannot be ranked as better than another in any numerical order -- they are all perfect in their own scale. I think the cards we make are the same way in a lot of ways -- they can't be ranked and all have perfection in their own scale. Could you imagine all the great movies we'd never have seen if Clint Eastwood decided not to become a director because he decided he could never make a movie like David Lean's "Lawrence of Arabia"? Or if he gave up on acting early on because his fluffy role in "Paint Yer Wagon" is nothing like the coveted one he eventually played so brilliantly, drawing on a lifetime of experience, in "Unforgiven"?

I'm probably not making a lot of sense, but at the very least I get to bump this thread.
No, no, I TOTALLY get you and I'm totally in tune with what you're saying/they're saying!!! :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2007, 08:57 AM   #44  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You make a lot of sense. I have always thought the Academy Awards were not really fair. It is apples and oranges to compare actors playing different parts with each other. Each does a good job or not, according to the part they are playing. If they all played the same role, then it would make sense to decide who did the best with it, lol.

Back to the original thought, and comparing yourself to others and coming up short:

Eleanor Roosevelt said: "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2007, 09:14 AM   #45  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainok
Eleanor Roosevelt said: "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
So true, so true!!! I love that quote!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2007, 09:42 AM   #46  
Crimping Master

WOW ladies!! Thank you for all the posts! I am a perfectionist through and through! If I do MY best, that's the best I can do! I shouldn't try to measure up to anyone's expections....the only One I need to please is my God and if he's plesaed with me that's all that should matter.
I made a card for a swap that I liked but wasn't really thrilled with and when the hostess received she loved it...so it's not what we see, but what others see.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2007, 09:44 AM   #47  
Crimping Master

After hitting reply, I just realized what I said may not be "allowed" so if it isn't sorry! Just my thoughts!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2007, 10:00 AM   #48  
Kookie Creator

Red face

Great advice, indeed! We have sort of a "motto" in our stamping group. "If we wanted a perfect card, we'd go to Hallmark and buy one." Followed by a couple of other words of "wisdom"...
"There are no mistakes in stamping, just opportunities to try an embellishment or some ribbon in a new way."

When all else fails to "fix it" we sigh and remind each other, "It's just paper!"
(Of course, in stamping paper isn't "Just paper!")

Many of my cards have at least a partial finger print somewhere on them.
(borrowed from the quirkey card sayings thread).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2007, 10:20 AM   #49  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

I am thrilled that Julie posted a link to this thread on her blog. Thanks, Julie!!

I have to add my thought to this. I love everything that you guys have said before. Someone said...."I wasn't that thrilled with it, but the hostess loved it" ....... "We may not see what the other person sees". I would like to ask us all to take this one step further. If we get "joy" out of the process of creating a card then we have won.....whether anyone else ever sees the piece. Many times I feel like my project didn't turn out as nicely as I had hoped but my main goal was to enjoy the process of thinking it out, stamping, painting and embellishing. How did I feel while I was doing the project? Did the muscles in my neck relax from a hard day at work? Did I feel energized because I had gotten my fingers inky? Did I enjoy taking a chance on something even though it was only so so? Yes.....the answer is Yes!!

I believe if we take pressure off ourselves to produce perfection and just enjoy what drew us to this craft in the first place....we would be so much happier. It saddens me to think there are sweet, talented people out there too fearful to post their work to a gallery because they feel they are competing. Please stop competing. This is not a competition....it is a community of loving, giving people who provide us with a wonderful opportunity to grow. Enjoy what you are doing!!!!! The process of creating is what it is "all about".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2007, 10:25 AM   #50  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittie747
I am thrilled that Julie posted a link to this thread on her blog. Thanks, Julie!!

I have to add my thought to this. I love everything that you guys have said before. Someone said...."I wasn't that thrilled with it, but the hostess loved it" ....... "We may not see what the other person sees". I would like to ask us all to take this one step further. If we get "joy" out of the process of creating a card then we have won.....whether anyone else ever sees the piece. Many times I feel like my project didn't turn out as nicely as I had hoped but my main goal was to enjoy the process of thinking it out, stamping, painting and embellishing. How did I feel while I was doing the project? Did the muscles in my neck relax from a hard day at work? Did I feel energized because I had gotten my fingers inky? Did I enjoy taking a chance on something even though it was only so so? Yes.....the answer is Yes!!

I believe if we take pressure off ourselves to produce perfection and just enjoy what drew us to this craft in the first place....we would be so much happier. It saddens me to think there are sweet, talented people out there too fearful to post their work to a gallery because they feel they are competing. Please stop competing. This is not a competition....it is a community of loving, giving people who provide us with a wonderful opportunity to grow. Enjoy what you are doing!!!!! The process of creating is what it is "all about".
Amen, Sista! I think we are all our own worst enemies. I know I fuss and fidget over what I do waaaaayyyy more than is necessary. I think this is applicable to everything we do in life - so often we play the comparing game, "I'm not as good as she is. I don't do as much as she does." It's so easy to fall into that trap. I love what Kittie said about the joy in the process. We are supposed to be doing this 'cause it's FUN, right? 'Nuf said!
Wickedly Wonderful Creations
I'm a FREAK!! Check out the latest Control Freaks Blog Tour
2012-13 Stampin' Up Artisan Design Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2007, 10:44 AM   #51  
Matboard Maniac

thanks for the inspiration!

my daughter (who is 7) has recently started scrapbooking and stamping and she is always so proud of (and loves) everything she makes- I often wish I could have that same self-confidence!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2007, 10:47 AM   #52  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittie747
I would like to ask us all to take this one step further. If we get "joy" out of the process of creating a card then we have won.....whether anyone else ever sees the piece. Many times I feel like my project didn't turn out as nicely as I had hoped but my main goal was to enjoy the process of thinking it out, stamping, painting and embellishing. How did I feel while I was doing the project? Did the muscles in my neck relax from a hard day at work? Did I feel energized because I had gotten my fingers inky? Did I enjoy taking a chance on something even though it was only so so? Yes.....the answer is Yes!!
Thanks to everyone for their comments on this thread.

I LOVE stamping. It's relaxing and so enjoyable. Often I don't think my creations are as good as others I have seen, but I need to realize that I am new to this (only 3 months) and that the joy of stamping is something to cherish, not just the outcome.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2007, 11:40 AM   #53  
Mad Swapper

I strugggle with "being perfect" - or at least trying to on a daily basis. It can really interfere with my daily living. Here is a quote I've kept. Found it on a blog (sorry not sure who) but it is from Akeelah and the Bee

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. - Marianne Williamson

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2007, 11:56 AM   #54  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sara in WI
Thanks. I've been so hard on myself lately. It brought me to tears.
Ditto!!!

And thanx, Mel, for reminding us that our best is good enough!

my gallery
my blog :
What Was I Inkin'?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2007, 09:33 PM   #55  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Dearest Mel.... You regularly inspire me with your words of wisdom. Or at least sharing words of wisdom from something you have heard or read. Thank you SO MUCH for starting this thread. Hugs...
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2007, 12:13 AM   #56  
Embossing Fanatic

I've definitely been in need of this lately. Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2007, 05:33 AM   #57  
Matboard Maniac

Great thread! Read every word and they are soooo true! I love the intentional misstake!!! yeah thats rite!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2007, 06:00 AM   #58  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw this on another thread.....I think it was in the ugliest card thread......

TIS BETTER TO HAVE STAMPED AND GRINNED THEN NOT TO HAVE STAMPED AT ALL!!!

I love this one!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2007, 07:27 AM   #59  
Crimping Master

Oh, Mel you always say the right thing. You are my perfectionist. But you are right in your words of wisdom. I have found myself doing the same thing. But last night my other SIL phoned me ranting and raving over a card I had sent to her son for his birthday. She just went on and on. It made me feel so good. I guess whatever we make is just good enough, because we made it.
Take care, Mel. Talk to you soon,
Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2007, 08:11 AM   #60  
Polyshrink Goddess

Boy Howdy did I need this one today. Thanks to all of you. Ain't it grand that there is this place that no matter what you need you can just pop on and find it instantly. Like for instance right now I am fighting off going up to finish a project I started yesterday and am dreading cause theres a ton of the little buggers to do. I was not happy with any of them, and a girlfriend stopped by and went nuts. And I find this with such great words of wisdom. I am off now to do my best. And will be filled with joy in the process.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2007, 09:59 AM   #61  
Die Cut Diva

Thank you for sharing this with us. Over the years I've come to realize that I tend to be a perfectionist, and because of this, if I can't do something perfectly I may not do it at all. I got hooked on stamping years ago because it was fun and a great creative outlet. It's good to be reminded that we shouldn't have to be "perfect" to be creative or happy or fulfilled. Like I have in my signature line, I think we all need to do the best we can with what we have to work with, whether that is time or materials or talent. My busy daughter has a great motto that I know I need to take more to heart:
"Done is beautiful"
Sometimes just finishing a project or task can be the best thing of all.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2007, 10:17 AM   #62  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menda
Boy Howdy did I need this one today. Thanks to all of you. Ain't it grand that there is this place that no matter what you need you can just pop on and find it instantly. Like for instance right now I am fighting off going up to finish a project I started yesterday and am dreading cause theres a ton of the little buggers to do. I was not happy with any of them, and a girlfriend stopped by and went nuts. And I find this with such great words of wisdom. I am off now to do my best. And will be filled with joy in the process.
You GO, girl!

And, BTW, your siggy line cracked me! So, where do you shop for tiaras?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2007, 08:03 AM   #63  
Forum Fanatic

Just wanted to bump this one! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2007, 08:21 AM   #64  
Compulsive Stamper

THANK YOU! This was water to the dry soul today...a kiss from heaven really! I was stamping two nights ago and really had a hard time with inspiration and wanting to do it...I was afraid it wouldn't be perfect. Much of my emotional energy is spent trying to be perfect. The Lord used you today to remind me He loves me in all my imperfections! THANK YOU!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2007, 09:38 AM   #65  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by KellytheMommy
thanks for the inspiration!

my daughter (who is 7) has recently started scrapbooking and stamping and she is always so proud of (and loves) everything she makes- I often wish I could have that same self-confidence!
Exactly! I facilitate a Scrapbook Club at my daughter's school for grades 3 through 8. I just LOVE that the girls jump right in and just "do" it.

My 9 yo doesn't scrap as "perfectly" as I would like her to, but then it's not MY book! She's thrilled and she did it herself

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2007, 09:42 AM   #66  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hit send too soon

I need to allow my dd to do more herself instead of trying to "help" her.

I also need to let myself "just do it" more often.

Thanks for the boost!

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
Reply With Quote Likes