Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-24-2013, 04:23 AM   #81  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,062 Likes on 817 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eileen KellyView Post
Ha! I'm still trying to figure out how to change my real name to a fake name like everyone else! Just spent 1/2 hour on that and gave up! So... in answer to your question, NO IDEA! But, would love to see your work and if you figure it out, let me know
You can't normally change your user name - for a whole lot of good reasons.
But for those who used their real name, a change is allowed . Just sent an email to the help desk or fill in the form on this LINK here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2013, 04:33 AM   #82  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,062 Likes on 817 Posts

Only I see it auto-filled in my name :-(. You need to replace that with yours, obviously.
Or use this one which isn't filled in.
Splitcoaststampers - Contact Us
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2013, 06:25 PM   #83  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jocelyn -- as a Caregiver you have a very special gift from God. I hope the "bores" who made you feel uncomfortable at this gathering don't have to find someone to take care of them someday.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #84  
Embossing Fanatic

It sounds like they were impressed with themselves for spending so much money, as if that made the album "better". You and I know that something crafted with love is much nicer than any store-bought item I'm so sorry you were treated badly. You should have whipped out one of your beautiful cards to show them
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #85  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Thank you ladies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #86  
Matboard Maniac

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

One day my DH and I were in the grocery store and ran into a couple we've known for a long time. She stuck her hand in my face to show me her new big diamond ring. Of course I said how pretty. When we got in the car I told DH "so what if she has a diamond, I have a room full of stamps, paper and ink. Now that's impressive!" ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #87  
Gallery Gazer

Give me a room full of those crafty things any day !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #88  
Cardstock Collector

Default How Awful!!

I felt just terrible for you when I read your post!! And then to have your little girl there, too... )-: . God love your heart! Unfortunately, I know EXACTLY what you mean! Here & there I find a few women who stamp/scrapbook, but those times are few and far between. The few shows I watch are only b/c I have older teenage daughters who love for me to watch those shows w/them. Before they got to this age, I would stamp or scrapbook every free minute (-: ! But then two little boys came along and...(-: . So I don't get to do it very often anymore, which really depresses me (literally) b/c it really is my passion.

And I know what you mean about being shy! Unfortunately again, I don't have any friends who stamp/scrapbook who can talk shop w/me, and even my daughters aren't into it. I don't mind doing it alone, but I do feel sometimes like I'm a freak or something b/c I don't value the same things other women do, even though I don't like the things they value to begin with (-: .

I sure wish you lived over here! I would love to be your friend (-: ! It would be great to have a friend like you who values and enjoys the same things I do! Don't let a bunch of snobs change your sweet personality ($1000 for a stupid photo album? You have got to be kidding me!!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2013, 10:23 AM   #89  
Inking Addict

Your life is what you make of it and the choices you make.

I was the shy, quiet, nerdy girl in high school. I was too afraid and nervous to make even a phone call. You know what I did - I pushed myself through the most awkward of moments, and, now, today, I can talk to just about anyone about anything. I have learned that it doesn't matter if I make myself look like a fool; we've all been in a situation where we looked silly and survived. From experience, I know that it is much harder than it sounds, but I knew it was something that I needed to do.

While sympathic to the rude people you had to endure, $1000 is probably around the going rate for a wedding album. Judging people for spending that kind of a money on a album is just as bad as being judged for being crafty. And who says that one can't go with the other - I spent around that on my wedding album, but I am also crafting our honeymoon album. I watch reality tv and make cards. So, where does that leave me? Am I a freak, because I have multiple interests? Do you think I wouldn't understand your crafting gene?

I guess what I am trying to say is that "being crafty" doesn't need to define who you are to other people. Be open to what others are talking about, and maybe they will open up to your interests. I know I don't understand half of what my hubby does with his car interest, but I'm there for him, listening and providing my input. Just my 2 cents...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2013, 03:55 AM   #90  
Glitter Queen

Wink Crafters are appreciated when needed.

I love browsing through the craft store. While there I get to talk to people that have the same interests that I have. As a scrapbooker and card maker I am alone in my day to day life. Some appreciate what I do but some do not. I seem to be the go to person when someone needs something fixed. A friend came to me because her daughter is getting married and she needs help. I have not seen her for quite sometime and then she remembered me when she needed help with invitations and favors. It makes me feel used. On the other hand it makes me realize that others do place value on what I do. Crafters are unique. We have value - sometimes we are actually needed. It would be so wonderful to have a friend who has the same interests that I do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #91  
Gallery Gazer

Thanks Miliaz - I'd love to be your friend too

Sorry you don't get to craft as much as you would like - I totally understand how that feels. It is almost like your heart aches to craft isn't it? :( {{hugs}}
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2013, 09:38 PM   #92  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeegal85View Post
Your life is what you make of it and the choices you make.

I was the shy, quiet, nerdy girl in high school. I was too afraid and nervous to make even a phone call. You know what I did - I pushed myself through the most awkward of moments, and, now, today, I can talk to just about anyone about anything. I have learned that it doesn't matter if I make myself look like a fool; we've all been in a situation where we looked silly and survived. From experience, I know that it is much harder than it sounds, but I knew it was something that I needed to do.

While sympathic to the rude people you had to endure, $1000 is probably around the going rate for a wedding album. Judging people for spending that kind of a money on a album is just as bad as being judged for being crafty. And who says that one can't go with the other - I spent around that on my wedding album, but I am also crafting our honeymoon album. I watch reality tv and make cards. So, where does that leave me? Am I a freak, because I have multiple interests? Do you think I wouldn't understand your crafting gene?

I guess what I am trying to say is that "being crafty" doesn't need to define who you are to other people. Be open to what others are talking about, and maybe they will open up to your interests. I know I don't understand half of what my hubby does with his car interest, but I'm there for him, listening and providing my input. Just my 2 cents...
I think your point is valid, however when I read the original post it did seem as though she was being belittled and not the other way around. I really got the impression that group enjoyed making her uncomfortable about her crafting.

Let's be honest there were ways to talk about the album and be inclusive. Once that was decided by the I really don't think there was much recourse for her.

TBH personally I am glad that people have different priorities. I tend to put on "crap" tv when I'm crafting so I totally get being up on the latest z list celeb show.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2013, 04:21 AM   #93  
Glitter Queen

Cool Join A Group

From reading everyone's responses it becomes obvious to me that we all need friends who craft. We would appreciate each other and it would be fun to craft together. I live in an area where there aren't any scrapbook stores. As far as I know there are no cardmaking or scrapping groups either.
My sister lives in NC. She is a member of two cardmaking groups, a stamping group and a scrapbooking club. She is fortunate to have access to these groups. ( I am so jealous) She has met so many wonderful people with the same interests as herself. In addition she is having the time of her life. It would definitely be worth looking into what groups are available in your area. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2013, 06:03 PM   #94  
Gallery Gazer

I have just got in contact with a SU Demonstrator who lives about 20 mins from where I live (FINALLY found one who lives close!) and hope to try out a class or two. Luckily, she has classes on the weekends so that my DH can look after our family member who I am the Primary Carer for.

Riverisis, you are right about the people enjoying making me feel uncomfortable - and honestly, after many times on previous occasions of trying to join in, usually by just asking a simple question like: "Where are you planning to go on your next holiday?" because these people are able to travel anywhere which is wonderful and interesting and I love to hear about other cultures and experiences. But you just don't get much of answer like: "Travelling through Europe for 3 months." And then they would ask me the same question, and I would say: "We are going to Lorne (which is a beach about 2 hours from here) for a week." The reply would go something along the lines of: "Oh, I haven't been there since I was a kid. Not much there really; pretty boring. Thank goodness I don't have to go there anymore!" Then they would talk about where they have been with the others but not to me - like they are rubbing my nose in it! It didn't matter what I asked - it was like banging my head against a brick wall. I could fill this thread with put-downs esp. in relation to my craft with these people. Any wonder that I have chucked in the towel?! I have just had enough because it "gets" me down too much. Guess you could say: "I have broken up with them!".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2013, 10:59 PM   #95  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

JoBear- Good for you for breaking up with people who make you feel uncomfortable and unworthy. I hope your classes are wonderful and you find a lot of new kindred souls. The people you were around are not healthy people. Honestly, it sounds to me like they have some insecurity issues of their own and are taking it out on you. I have been through it too. There is no pleasing them.

My friends don't craft. They support me 100% even if they don't get it. My friends watch tons of sports and reality TV. I read and play video games. They listen to my interests. I listen to theirs. My friends take vacations. I am more of a homebody. They send me pictures of things they know I will love.

I have those toxic people in my life who belittle me for liking anything. I have just come to learn those people have insecurities that number in the zillions. They just want to take it out on the little people. It doesn't matter if your shy or not they are just downright mean.

I told those people to get out of my life. I said I have people who love me and care about me. I don't need that kind of hatefulness in my life. I am not their cup of tea and they are not mine. I am not going to waste their time or mine when there are so many people in the world and lots of new wonderful friends to make. I have friends who love me and I want to cherish them.

I hope that for you too. You have always been one of the sweetest ladies over here. You deserve the best.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2013, 04:44 AM   #96  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoBear2View Post
What would you have done at the lunch? :(

When she finished her story I would've asked what "decorated photos" are. Taking an interest in other people is a great way to fit in when you feel like you don't. The more you find out about another person the better the chance you have of finding something you have in common.

Crafting takes skills that not everyone has. They might have been just as intimidated by you as you were of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #97  
Hardware Hotshot

Many people who do not have any creative hobbies think that crafting is similar to the primary school projects they did as children.

When you said Scrapbooking the people may have thought of the "scrap books' we did as children where we pasted construction paper cut outs on manilla pages. If that was their impression of course they would roll their eyes at the thought of doing that with Wedding pictures. It may have been just a lack of understanding not a slight toward you.

The only way for them to understand is to see it. Rather than try to explain that you do custom work you may want to consider sending them a custom made Christmas card.

Creative and artist people generally don't try to keep up with the Jone's . They find things that give "them" pleasure and if others don't share their interests that is fine.
Some people always need to do what others are doing to feel like they fit in .
Maybe there are things they would like to try but are too insecure to break away from doing what the group does.

Rather than feeling down because you don't fit in, accept the fact you are unique and will never fit in and follow the crowd and they are also unique in their own way .
I have some friend who do not know the difference between worsted weight yarn and embroidery floss, but we have found other interests that we share.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2013, 04:17 AM   #98  
Glitter Queen

Being able to do some kind of craft is an ability that not everyone has. Not everyone understands it either. Rejoice in the pleasure you derive from your hobby. For those that put you down; it is their problem. Fitting in with rude unappreciative people would not be one of my goals.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2013, 07:01 AM   #99  
Stazon Splitcoast

Barbara Jay I agree with you to a point, there comes a time when any of us has to take ourselves out of toxic situations. If this had happened once I would be the first championing to give it another go. However, this seems to be repeated behavior and that shouldn't be rewarded. There is no benefit to continuing to be a doormat for others to belittle and prop themselves up. It really doesn't matter why they are doing it because they continue to do it. There is no point in continuing to participate in such events and expecting a different outcome when people aren't willing to attempt to extend basic courtesies. Time to move on and up!
Reply With Quote Likes