Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-13-2011, 05:42 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone teach card making in their home?

How many cards do you make at a time?
What do you charge?
I'm not with a stamping company, but want to start teaching card making and scrapbooking in my home.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2011, 06:56 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

I did it for years but it was with SU!, although I think it would be basically the same idea. I usually did 3 cards but every once in a while I did a nice project instead. I kept my price at $15 per person.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2011, 07:05 PM   #3  
Cardstock Collector

Thank you Tina, I appreciate your kindness.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2011, 07:18 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I did classes in a store which I did get to keep the entire fee, I charged $25 for 2 hours. I taught card making, so the students didn't actually complete any project by the end of the class. They did take home the samples of what they learned. It was a hands on class for trying each technique taught in the class.

My class included instruction on......kinds of paper, the proper way of folding using a scoring board and creasing with a bone folder, sizes of cards, using a paper trimmer, kinds of inks, info about rubber stamps and how to store them, proper cleaning of all stamps, heat embossing, dry embossing, hand embossing, various types of glue and adhesive, markers, pencils and brief explanation of Provo brand die cutting machine, etc.

Many of the students came back for additional classes to get into the various topics in more depth.

I didn't push any particular kinds/brands of products but did give my opinion of the brands/kinds I use in my crafting.

For me, I wouldn't want to have a class where the people made a group of cards to mimic the sample I had for them. I have gone to classes like that and felt it was not a learning experience. This is just my personal opinion.

I would like to get involved in teaching classes again, but not in my home. I would rather have it in a more public place like a community center, library or church. I just don't want strangers in my home.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2011, 05:45 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Check and see if there is a community art center in your area. We have one, and it's not terribly expensive to rent for classes. I think many people would be more willing to go to somewhere like that than a home. Plus you don't have to clean your house. They're also likely to be well set up for what you're doing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2011, 08:01 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I teach monthly classes for a meetup group in my home for 15.00, I know that is not much but I do it because I enjoy it and not a business. We make 5 cards and rotate stations so not everyone is working on the same card. I get 10-15 ladies each month and most of them have been with me over a year now.Stamp and scrapbook stores charge 25.00 for the same amount of cards, plus I think it depends on where you live and who your cliente is. They bring their own adhesive and a snack to share. We have a great night and I enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #7  
Cardstock Collector

Thank you Patti, Diana and Lucy. I sincerely appreciate your words of wisdom. All the Best, Katy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The classes I do (usually all SU) I generally have 5 to 10 cards each with different designs because that is all I had ever taken. I did do a 4 each of 3 designs and it did not go over as well.

A few tips I learned :
Newer stampers sit close, more advanced stampers sit further or next to someone who can help keep them on track.

To stay on time, prep well.

When teaching a technique, don't plan on them doing multiples of something. For example, If they need 5, I will have them heat emboss one, then use the others I made in advance.

Count on spills and wrong cutting or scoring.

Hope this helps you organize.

Oh yeah, I did a SB class once. I made my non scrapping sister do the class before I advertised just to see how long it took her. Then I added 150% to her time. Someone might help you practice your class just for the free cards.

Good luck!

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

I guess I still have the best demo around! We do 10 cards for $10. We also have snacks, but we've started taking turns bringing something because we love going to her house once month!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2011, 03:54 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

I have been to a few stamp classes that cost $10-15 depending on the amount and complexity of the technique but I have always come home with at least four cards. My local library has a community room that can be used on a sign-up basis. That might be easier than your house. Hope it works out for you. I once went to a scrapbooking class but the paper options did not appeal to me at all. I think that one would be hard to teach at your house.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2011, 05:59 PM   #11  
Inking Addict

I do classes in my home 4 days out of the month. I usually have around 24 people attending for the month. We do 3 cards and I charge $10. I also provide a small meal of some sort. I do make a little bit off of it but I'm definitely not getting rich. It's something I love and enjoy doing though. I also do classes at the local library twice ever 2 or 3 months. I get the room and they advertise at no cost to me. My library classes are free and limited to 10. It's amazing how many people that I've picked up from the library classes that end up coming to classes at my house. I would just say if you decide to do this have FUN with it. Some people are so serious when they do a class. My main goal is for everyone to have fun and enjoy themselves!!! If this happens then my class was a success. =)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2011, 06:22 PM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

I hold classes in my home - atm only one a month and I do a variety - a stamp a stack with 10 cards 5 each of 2 designs and I charged $20 for that (I'm in Australia) and I have another class coming up that is a card with a matchbox suitcase and concertina album - I'm charging $15 for that one. I also have scrapbooking classes I'm starting and it's 4 6x6 pages and the cost will be $25. Good luck and hope this helps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2011, 03:10 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

Default card classes

I have 4-6 classes per month in my home, as I can only fit 5 per night/day
I charge $20 for 12 cards and envelopes. 4 each of 3 designs. I have everything pre cut and bagged for them.I have been doing this for 4 years, and my girls keep telling me to raise my price to $25. They bring their own adhesive and basic supply kit (I sell them for $10). I supply chocolate and beverages. I used to make snacks but people just didnt want to eat- they want to work work work.
I have a list of 52 people and usually get 20-25 a month.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2011, 04:18 AM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
I guess I still have the best demo around! We do 10 cards for $10. We also have snacks, but we've started taking turns bringing something because we love going to her house once month!
I became a demo in November, but I have been teaching a card class for 2 1/2 years at my house once a month. I, too, do 10 cards (5 designs) for $10. My girls don't want to buy stamp supplies, they want me to design the cards and they are happy to pay me. It works out well for me. I am happy when I meet my minimum!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2011, 05:42 AM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by acableView Post
I became a demo in November, but I have been teaching a card class for 2 1/2 years at my house once a month. I, too, do 10 cards (5 designs) for $10. My girls don't want to buy stamp supplies, they want me to design the cards and they are happy to pay me. It works out well for me. I am happy when I meet my minimum!
This sounds like what my demo does, except that we always have an order each month and we take turns being the hostess. She designs 10 different cards each month, but there are only four of us and we are all now advanced crafters so it doesn't take long. I don't think my demo makes much on what we give her for class, but we usually have enough in orders to meet the minimum hostess level each month so she easily makes her quarterly and is able to get stuff too. And she gets to be hostess when it's her turn too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2011, 07:16 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
This sounds like what my demo does, except that we always have an order each month and we take turns being the hostess. She designs 10 different cards each month, but there are only four of us and we are all now advanced crafters so it doesn't take long. I don't think my demo makes much on what we give her for class, but we usually have enough in orders to meet the minimum hostess level each month so she easily makes her quarterly and is able to get stuff too. And she gets to be hostess when it's her turn too.
This is called a Hostess Club and it is what I have been doing for 7 years now, in my home. (I have two clubs running every other Saturday) The hostess of the month brings the snacks/food.

But this really doesn't help the op any because she is not demoing for any company but just wanting to teach. Since she will not be getting a discount from representing a company and their product to help augment her costs, she is going to have to charge enough to pay for her products, but I don't see how see can make much more over the cost of the products since she is paying full price for them.
Reply With Quote Likes