Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-19-2007, 05:12 AM   #41  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

color me green...I keep saying "I love my basement! I love my basement!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2007, 06:13 AM   #42  
mot
Glitter Guru

I am content with my corner in our unfinished basement, and was shocked when DH mentioned it and was serious!!!:shock:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2007, 06:53 AM   #43  
Matboard Maniac

I would go for it. I keep telling my DH that I need to have a craft room made for me, he said he would if he had the time to do it, but being military, he has no time. my crafts and stamping is taking up most of the dining area....LOL.

Maybe one year I will get my crafthouse....

good luck
tami
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2007, 07:13 AM   #44  
Insane Embellisher

I have my own studio that is separate from the house - I have had it both ways during my career as a designer/painter/teacher and there are pros and cons to both...

when i had the studio attached to the house I was forever having my business and my clientelle over flowing into the house...and I had small children at the time so they were continually overflowing into my studio/retail space. I eventually opened my own retail store/studio and that was OK although I was away from the kids and house too much.

Anyway, I closed that business when we decided to move So....I wanted my own building on the property, when we were house hunting it was #1 on our list of priorities and we were able to find a house on a half acre in town, with a brand new separate 2 story "garage" (altho it has never been used as such since we moved in 11 years ago)

So, I have my own space, teaching studio downstairs, storage for my "show booth" display boards etc, etc...the loft with big windows at both ends and all the comforts of home(the building is as big as some small houses) is my personal studio where I still paint and also do my stamping and papercrafts and I also do some papier mache folk art sculpture, sewing, whatever...so it is packed to the rafters with **crap**! :-)

...we are moving again, this time renovating my 5th generation family home which will be our last stop and I have decided that I will to go back to an attached studio because I find that I do not really like the isolation of my own space. I need the quiet to work, but not the isolation.
...In winter it is a drag to have to go back and forth to the house, and when I am working on a piece I sometimes will stay up most of the night which makes it really harsh to have to stumble thru the snow into the house to bed LOL
...kids are grown and gone now, so I sometimes feel bad that I have to go out to the studio and leave my hubby in the house, altho he has his own office to retreat to there is a sense of separation that I am not liking. (would like it even less if I had small kids, but believe me it was OK when my kids were teenagers!!!)
...there is the issue of heating and utilities to keep the building comfortable for me, we super insulated it but the extra costs do add up...at least $1200. a year for heat(wood and electric) and lights...and the phone/cable line as well.

...lots of other little *pita's that i could list but i guess the main thing is where you are in your own space right now...I have had it both ways and personally I would rather be closer and more connected.
The new/old house will function quite differently than either of my past homes, I will not have a teaching studio for regular classes as I will only offer seminars and I will have a gallery type show a couple of times a year rather than open studio time. My studio will be a few steps away from the kitchen so I can easily get dinner started, put in some laundry..and then go back to work, and I don't think i will feel so isolated from my home (and wondering what is going on in there) as I do here in my studio.

...sorry this has been long - have fun creating whatever you decide! I have to go put some laundry in...

Joann

Hey Margaret Wilburn! nice to see you on SCS! I painted your designs when I first started painting in the early 80's! - wonder how many from dec painting are dabbling in the dark side? LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2007, 07:32 AM   #45  
Mad Swapper

As we've been looking for a shed so we can clear out our garage and storage unit, I emailed the link to hubby. LOL He responded "Where do we put the snowblower and lawn mower?"

I said, "Under the deck...."

I would love a space like that!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2007, 08:33 AM   #46  
Matboard Maniac

That is AMAZING!! I would never leave.

Browse my blog-Just Dandy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2007, 09:38 AM   #47  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kraftygirl
color me green...I keep saying "I love my basement! I love my basement!"
*chuckle*!

Me, too. I keep chanting: I love my closet, I love my closet. It's 8 x 13' and I know I'm exceedingly fortunate to have even that . . . If I could just figure out how to quit "overflowing" from it out into the family room, the laundry room shelving my DH built to absorb overflow and I quickly outgrew . . . :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2007, 09:57 AM   #48  
Mad Swapper

do it! i wish i could. have finally just got a larger room for all my stuff. i do know, if i had a whole separate area away from, my dh and i would hardly ever get together. which sometimes is very good!

keep on trucking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2007, 12:16 PM   #49  
Pearl-ExPert

Default my opinion

Quote:

Originally Posted by mot
...We have been considering building me a stamping play house for all of my stuff, and to hold clubs and classes. Does anyone have one and what are the pros and cons of it? Any opinion or experiences would be appreciated!!;)
for just you? -- sure if you don't need to be in the house. Remember to include a small refrigerator! You can hide your own chocolate stash in there.;)

clubs/classes? --
*While it would be cool, what would you do about a bathroom?
*If it is used in a business sense would it have to comply with any special laws/ordinaces? (i.e. wheelchair accessable, etc.)
*And since it is a separate building do the zoning laws matter if it is used for a business?
*Don't assume it would be tax deductible. I'm not a tax person but I remember when looking into it for my Mary Kay business the space has to be used 100% for business. For us this meant that I could not deduct my office unless I never did anything but MK in there -- not even pay family bills. Now of course you could argue, how would they know but a tax person told us that deducting space for a business was an automatic red flag for the IRS.

Just some things that popped into my head.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2007, 12:26 PM   #50  
Forum Fanatic

Dont forget to have central air and a comfy couch and or recliner and a toilet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2007, 01:59 PM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yikes...nice...wonder if the hubby has a huge garage...lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2007, 03:43 PM   #52  
mot
Glitter Guru

These are really good points. I think since I have a small club, just to help keep me active, it would mainly be for me. We didn't even claim my little business last year on taxes so we wouldn't have a red flag for the IRS. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I love SCS!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2007, 06:59 PM   #53  
Mad Swapper

I have a scrap room, but, hey, can I come live with you? Scrap Shack - I love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 06:38 AM   #54  
Mad Swapper

So, Mist, did you ever get your own scrap shack? I'd LOVE to see pics!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 07:30 AM   #55  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftyteaspoonView Post
[
clubs/classes? --
*While it would be cool, what would you do about a bathroom?

This was MY first thought! I love to drink coffee or water or whatever while I'm stamping. As absolutely wonderful as the dedicated space would be, I would hate having to run to the house whenever nature called! BUT, if you can afford to have the shack plumbed??? Well, hey! What's stopping ya?:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2008, 07:40 AM   #56  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by marymoilanenView Post
Wow, that is amazing! But not practical in my area. The winters would be too cold... and it would be another thing to heat!

The only thing I would add is water! I like have a slop-sink around.
Have to agree with this. The area I live has very harsh winters and very hot summers. Extremely cool idea but very practical for others. Oh another thought I had was that be very careful before you buy one and put it on your property. The explaination is because some states consider a SHED on your property taxable!! That is the way it is for us. We don't have a shed and if we wanted one they would tax us on it every year just like the do it for our cars every year (get that one!) So be careful.
Reply With Quote Likes