Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-14-2010, 06:43 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Does anyone else think this about SU?

I recently ordered a couple of stamps from SU and noticed something about the clear boxes that the stamps came in. They are usually WAY too big for the amount of stamps that comes in it. There is so much extra room left over that the stamps move all over the place. I think that they could save some money and make the plastic cases smaller to fit the amount and/or size of the stamps. I ordered a set that had about 6 stamps in it, half of them were very time 2 step stamps, but yet the case was the same size as if I bought a background stamp.

Anyone else think that SU could save some money by rethinking their packaging design?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2010, 06:51 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Unfortunatly this is the case with some stamp sets - but not all. I have several SU sets that fit very snugly into cases as well. The sizing of cases is determined by the sizes of blocks needed to mount or in some cases the size of the sheet of rubber the stamps are made on. I don't know how many sets I have tried to move into 1 size smaller cases with no luck. It's like a puzzle that just isn't made to fit. As for background stamps -I think they should never come in a case that big. Just shrinkwrap them. You can always put 2 sets in 1 case if you need the space (and they fit). I am LOVING the new clearmounts for taking less room because of no blocks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2010, 07:07 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

I've just unmounted my Awash w/ Flowers set and I did wonder why it came in two cases when the entire set can fit in one. This is my first foray into unmounted stamp storage and in theory thought.. Great! Takes up less space and maybe even put two sets in one case! In reality, I prepped the stamps using the vinyl sticker (which I've had no issues sticking to the block BTW) and found that it wouldn't stick to the darn case! Is this user error or are they really not supposed to stick to the case? So now I open my case and an explosion of rubber comes flying at me. It really does become a waste of space because you can't use any of the surfaces to stick your stamps to, when there is ample to fit more than one set. And why would you want two stamp sets in a jumbled heap? If anything, I'll take the vinly stickers off, but I kinda like the darn images on the foamy part.... UGH! Thanks for letting me rant.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2010, 07:14 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by good_day1214View Post
I've just unmounted my Awash w/ Flowers set and I did wonder why it came in two cases when the entire set can fit in one. This is my first foray into unmounted stamp storage and in theory thought.. Great! Takes up less space and maybe even put two sets in one case! In reality, I prepped the stamps using the vinyl sticker (which I've had no issues sticking to the block BTW) and found that it wouldn't stick to the darn case! Is this user error or are they really not supposed to stick to the case? So now I open my case and an explosion of rubber comes flying at me. It really does become a waste of space because you can't use any of the surfaces to stick your stamps to, when there is ample to fit more than one set. And why would you want two stamp sets in a jumbled heap? If anything, I'll take the vinly stickers off, but I kinda like the darn images on the foamy part.... UGH! Thanks for letting me rant.
Unfortunately, mine, with the stickers on, dont really stick to the case either. Its gotta be the plastic the cases are made from that is the problem. I put several sets in one case tho so I dont mind them being oversized. I dont love that they dont stick, because it is a pain to open it and have them come out, but I just make sure I am careful when I open them now.

I loved getting a free case with my Awash w/ Flowers tho!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2010, 07:15 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

You could try Ailene's Tack It Over and Over. That is how I am doing all of mine that I am unmounting. But maybe someone has a better idea of how to make the vinyl work better.

OP: I feel the same way. I have one set that cam in the big long box that once mountedcouls fit nicely in a sm/med sized box. This is one reason for my unmounting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2010, 07:23 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by kspivView Post
I loved getting a free case with my Awash w/ Flowers tho!!
LOL... that was a plus!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2010, 07:26 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by princessmeshelleView Post
You could try Ailene's Tack It Over and Over.
I thought about this as well, but thought it was a PIA - also too I'm just lazy... =) Hmmm, maybe I'll just forgo my lovely vinyl image. I'm hoping the foamy part should still be sticky even after I remove the vinyl.. I'll have to play and find out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2010, 07:38 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

Quote:

I thought about this as well, but thought it was a PIA - also too I'm just lazy... =) Hmmm, maybe I'll just forgo my lovely vinyl image. I'm hoping the foamy part should still be sticky even after I remove the vinyl.. I'll have to play and find out.
I know it's an extra step, but if you trim the sticker, it will be smaller than the rubber so you'll have the edge of the original cling still sticking out.

I know one is supposed to "hold"/press down the stamps for a few seconds to get it to stay, but when I'm excited it's tough to do.

But by trimming the sticker, I haven't had any issues.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2010, 07:38 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I've just unmounted my Awash w/ Flowers set and I did wonder why it came in two cases when the entire set can fit in one.
My Awash with Flowers is staying in two cases because I keep the extra rubber in the case. So, I punch out the stamps and stick the label on them, but you know all that rubber that's left with the holes in it? I take the backing paper off that and stick it to the inside of my case. Then, when I'm putting my stamps away, I know immediately if one is missing! So I, for one, am GLAD that set comes in two cases.

(But for those of you who only use one case - congrats on getting an extra case to use for another set!)

<---- (Aren't my nephew & niece cute? They take after their aunt, I think!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2010, 07:39 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Here is what I did...and I wouldnt recommend it for everyone and I know that they *should* work perfect and stick to the block and the case wonderfully without us having to do anything, but as is a fact of life, things never work IRL the way I think they should work in my head....so what I have done is this...
when I am putting the stickers on the foam cling mount (because I dont want to fore go the stickers, I want them on there, dang it!) but I want them to stick to my case also (and stick to the block better for teeny tiny stamps and skinny stamps)...I actually trim the stickers close to the actual image. Then I apply them to the back of the stamp, the tan cling foam. This then leaves a ring of the cling foam uncovered by the cling mount sticker but I still have my sticker on.

I was using Aleen's TIOAO on the back of the cling mounts but have noticed that those first few sets I did are really a slimy sticky and I dont like that at all! I think its just how the Aleen's reacted with the cling mount. I dont have the same problem with the Aleens doing that to the regular stickers for the stamps I have been unmounting off the wood blocks.

Cutting out the stickers close to the image is a whole nother step, and something many wouldnt want to do, but I find it makes me more happy with the end result so I am willing to do it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2010, 07:43 AM   #11  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by cincystamperView Post
My Awash with Flowers is staying in two cases because I keep the extra rubber in the case. So, I punch out the stamps and stick the label on them, but you know all that rubber that's left with the holes in it? I take the backing paper off that and stick it to the inside of my case. Then, when I'm putting my stamps away, I know immediately if one is missing! So I, for one, am GLAD that set comes in two cases.

(But for those of you who only use one case - congrats on getting an extra case to use for another set!)
I do this too. I save the around the stamp rubber and put the stamps back in their little hole.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2010, 07:44 AM   #12  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

I have also read the suggestion to run a stripe of tape on the inside of the box and put the stamps on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2010, 08:04 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Ladies.... AWESOME suggestions!

I'll have to try the "trim around the vinyl image technique." Better suited for what I want to accomplish, although I do love the idea of keeping the extra rubber. I may try that on sets that I know will only be one set per case.

This has brought up another question....
For those able to stick stamps on BOTH sides of the case... Do the stamps touch each other when the case is closed? If so, do you think that will damage the rubber?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2010, 08:09 AM   #14  
Watercolor Wizard

I like them over sized, I ordered 20 of them to put my other unmounted stamps in, I think they are wonderful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2010, 08:57 AM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

It use to be that the case was a pretty good fit for the blocks and rubber images that came in the set. That seemed to change when they went to all pre-cut stamps. Previously, the rubber images seemed to have been moved around more to get them close enough to each other so they didn't take up a lot of space but at the same time allowed enough room for scissors to cut between without cutting into the images. When they went to the all pre-cut stamps, that's when I really started seeing boxes that were WAY too big for the stamps. The wood blocks actually took up less room than the rubber sheet. Seems like when they went to the all pre-cut stamps, there were certain "index" sizings that they needed to use (you know those little raised lines on each corner of the rubber sheet you get?) I started getting more stamps with cases way bigger than was necessary for the mounted stamps, but in order for the rubber sheet to fit into the box for packaging, they used boxes that were way to big to accomodate the rubber sheet. The images now were much more spread apart, I guess to allow for the machine not to cut the image if the sheet wasn't centered exactly right. I got way too big of boxes so my mounted stamps rattled and rolled around, and I had tons more of leftover rubber. To top it all off, they did away with customers being able to buy empty cases except for wheel storage boxes. So, even if I were willing to purchase something that was the same as all the other cases to make up for their change in stamp production, I couldn't anymore. And the items while still available to demos, weren't technically allowed to be sold to customers because that violated the cash & carry rule.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Most of my sets fit snugly....a few are in bigger cases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2010, 12:03 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

PS...off topic, but I love that new set, Awash With Flowers...like I need any more flowers sets...but get it I will ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2010, 02:30 PM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny you should mention this. I just got the individual Graduation stamp from the new mini. I love it, by the way. It is a classy stamp. But it came in a large case! Large as in another stamp could easily fit with it. And why put an individual stamp in a case anyway? I took it out and set the case aside for some other use and put the grad stamp with my other grad stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2010, 03:09 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

I love the cases!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2010, 03:31 PM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

After viewing this video by Dawn O, this is what I started doing with my clear mounted ones, scroll down a bit to see video:
http://dostamping.typepad.com/dostam...ks-stamps.html

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2010, 03:52 PM   #21  
Kookie Creator

I was a pretty die-hard wood mount fan until SU! came out with their version of "clear" stamps. Personally, I like the DVD cases they come in and that they are all the same size. For storage, it's so easy to line them up on a bookshelf or put them in a DVD unit because the cases are all uniform in size.

I have more problems with the clam shell cases for wood mount sets being too big. The clear mount ones I am loving.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2010, 06:09 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

I like it that the boxes are all the same size - easy for storage and easy to find on my shelves.

My Gallery http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=25291

I would be delighted if you checked out my blog: http://www.justforfun.typepad.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2010, 06:30 PM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by isuanastasiaView Post
Anyone else think that SU could save some money by rethinking their packaging design?
Maybe the are actually saving money by using only one size case, since they can buy huge quantities of just one size instead of smaller quantities of many different sizes.

I had noticed that a couple of sets I bought had larger cases than normal but I didn't think too much about it. I guess it doesn't bother me if the stamps can rattle around a little.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2010, 09:57 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaylesView Post
Unfortunatly this is the case with some stamp sets - but not all. I have several SU sets that fit very snugly into cases as well. The sizing of cases is determined by the sizes of blocks needed to mount or in some cases the size of the sheet of rubber the stamps are made on. I don't know how many sets I have tried to move into 1 size smaller cases with no luck. It's like a puzzle that just isn't made to fit. As for background stamps -I think they should never come in a case that big. Just shrinkwrap them. You can always put 2 sets in 1 case if you need the space (and they fit). I am LOVING the new clearmounts for taking less room because of no blocks.
SHHHH! Don't say that! I love getting those boxes. I use them for lots of storage solutions, including moving sets into smaller boxes or combining similar or companion sets into bigger boxes.

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2010, 10:03 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardmaker2View Post
Funny you should mention this. I just got the individual Graduation stamp from the new mini. I love it, by the way. It is a classy stamp. But it came in a large case! Large as in another stamp could easily fit with it. And why put an individual stamp in a case anyway? I took it out and set the case aside for some other use and put the grad stamp with my other grad stamps.
I put all my individual SU stamps in one big clamshell. I use the little clamshells they came in for glitter/embossing powders or sorting embellishment for kits.

I figure when they out grow that clamshell, I will start categorizing similiar to how I keep my non-SU single stamps.

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Reply With Quote Likes