Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-16-2005, 06:17 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Does anyone else have problems inking the canvas stamp evenly???

I seem to get darker areas of ink when I stamp the Canvas background stamp. Also do you use versa mark, same color as cardstock or constrasting color of ink to cardstock?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2005, 06:27 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I always ink my background stamps by laying them down on the table, then laying the card over the top of it and rubbing. That seems to work for me. As for the others, I use versamark if I want a showable image but not really pronounced, and same color to show better for a tone on tone look. For some reason I don't use contrasting too much, but that just may be my personal thing. I'm more a tone on tone person.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2005, 06:33 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Hmmm....I don't have this BG stamp, however, I have had issues with similar stamps. You might try using a brayer to ink up the stamp to get even coverage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2005, 06:37 AM   #4  
Glitter Queen

I find that I get better ink coverage on the Canvas BG when I use my rubber brayer to ink the stamp and then place the cardstock on top of the stamp and give the back of the cardstock a rub with my hand or wooden block.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2005, 06:37 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Using a brayer will give you a much more even layer of ink color. Lay the stamp down with rubber side up - ink up brayer very well and then run brayer over the rubber stamp.

I use color more than versamark - have used the same color and one that compliments the color of card stock. Like it both ways.

If you don't have a brayer, you can still get a nice layer of ink by laying the stamp down with rubber side up and inking up the stamp all over sometimes I lightly rub the ink pad over it being careful not to press harder in some areas than others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2005, 06:46 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

One of the things I like about Canvas is the fact that I DON'T have to ink it up evenly. I the texture it gives when some areas are lighter than others. I just swipe my ink pad across the stamp a couple of times then lay my cardstock on top and lightly rub. If I want the image to be even "spottier" I will just rub in a couple of areas.

"Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment" -Ben Franklin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2005, 06:47 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

I have the Canvas background stamp and love to use it. Here is what I do to ink it up.

Lay Canvas with rubber side up. Open stamp pad of choice and push it down all over canvas. I can see streaks on the Canvas so then I take my stamp pad and swirl it on the canvas to take away the streaks. I then lay my CS on top of Canvas. Take a piece of scrap paper (big enough to cover CS and Canvas)and lay on top of CS. I then rub all over with my hands. I make sure I keep one hand steady on the CS to prevent it from moving. I make sure I press/rub evenly all over the stamp to get an even coverage. This has always worked for me. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2005, 07:16 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

I have this stamp and I personally do not like it at all, I love the way it looks when people get the image right but it is such a pain in the bottom to me, I get lines, I get darker spots and I also really believe that my stamp is to small b/c it doesn't seem to cover any entire regular card front, there is an edge with nothing on it. I have thought about having my demo take a look at it and seeing if it is just me, I have tried it many times and it never seems the right size. I do lay the stamp down rubber side up and add the ink and then put the cardstock down with a piece of paper over it and rub, it helps but I think I am going to have to get a brayer if I really plan to keep using this.

I now have a gallery!! www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/miss_missy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2005, 07:29 AM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

I have noticed the same thing with the canvas stamp, it is just a bit shy of 5 and a half inches and really hard to get a card front without an unstamped line on one end. I have wondered why also. Was this an economy measure on SU's part? It certainly cheated us. I have had to take my card front and tap it on the other inked edge to fill it out. It certainly doesnt make it fun to use the bg stamps or easier.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2005, 07:54 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Instead of tapping on this background like I normally do with all my other stamps, I just put my ink pad on it and start smearing it around. You get a really even coverage that way.

Hope that helps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2005, 08:01 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

These are some great suggestions that I will try. I think I'm really going to need to get a brayer.
Has anyone tried the KISS technique with the Canvas bg? I tried the other day and was not successful at all.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2005, 08:08 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

This hasn't come up in a while on SCS, but there is always the butt-stamping method! Ink the stamp up, cover it with your cardstock piece and paper (make sure all edges are covered with paper), set it on a chair or the corner of your stamp table, then sit on it! It's not my preferred method (I ink it, turn it over, place cardstock and scrap paper over it, and rub it), but lots of people seem to like it. I think my mom even referred to her butt-stamping spot as her "throne." You could do a search for butt stamping and I bet you would find some threads on it.
member #1507 gallery
witticisms... a witty blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2005, 08:17 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

I loved the ideas of smearing the ink and the butt stamping! Another tip I've found with the canvas and the paisley (I got this from MamaK) is that the craft inks work well. I guess because they are stickier they seem to cover the BG stamps much better. That and versa mark are the way I go now and it helps. But I still ink them with the rubber up, and then use the brayer on top of the card stock to press down evenly. Plus I stamp off once on scrap paper and then reink before I try for the cardstock. Once you get this down you will love these stamps!

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/dstfrommi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2005, 08:22 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenny4wheel
One of the things I like about Canvas is the fact that I DON'T have to ink it up evenly. I the texture it gives when some areas are lighter than others. I just swipe my ink pad across the stamp a couple of times then lay my cardstock on top and lightly rub. If I want the image to be even "spottier" I will just rub in a couple of areas.
What she said!

My gallery
My blog!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2005, 08:55 AM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laryssa
These are some great suggestions that I will try. I think I'm really going to need to get a brayer.
Has anyone tried the KISS technique with the Canvas bg? I tried the other day and was not successful at all.
I have done the KISS technique with the canvas stamp. It is easy and works well!
Reply With Quote Likes