Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-06-2016, 06:22 AM   #41  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmc123macView Post
I love the idea of a basket at church. How did you initially set yours up? Did you post a sign next to the basket to indicate what they were for?
Our pastor actually invited me to present my cause during a service! I did a little demo of making a card. Took maybe 5 minutes as I had precut and prepped everything. I then said I would have a basket at the back with a box for donation. I did up a sign yes. I had a notice put in the bulletin for a couple weeks as well. I didn't ask a certain price, just a donation. I think I had 80 cards or so and when I counted the proceeds, there was 235.40 to send! It went to a ranch for troubled youth/adults that is solely based on support

You probably would only need to run it by someone and then make up a sign and go from there.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2016, 06:28 AM   #42  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was feeling that way before my sister in law told me how much the kids
looked forward to getting my cards. They can't wait to see what I made for
them and they keep them. I was really surprised to hear this.
As long as you are happy making them i think that's all that really matters.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2016, 07:05 AM   #43  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BCRibbon Getting appreciation for your hand crafted items

You all have given me some great ideas for releasing my hand-crafted "babies" into the world, only knowing that they may be unceremoniously dumped into the rubbish bin!

I am an artist by nature, and was given the talent of understanding shapes, colors, light and other attributes by God. It wasn't until I experienced card making that I realized that I could share my talents with others in the form of a well-crafted card.

I was fortunate enough to be given the opportunity to work for a major card crafting company in this global economy, who gave its demonstrators access to a wealth of ideas, tools, techniques and a company discount. This hobby is not cheap, and any way to save money made sense to me (it helps that I am part Scottish, the race of people known for their frugal and thrifty ways). This company also provided me with access to others who love to do the same things, so swapping and sharing is part of the corporate culture.

I have given away my cards and also sold them at Craft Shows--but each one is a little part of me, and I do care what happens to them! Like someone else in this thread, I found a "hand stamped by..." stamp with my full name to be a valuable way of showing people that I cared enough to make the card. Also, for Intellectual Property reasons, my company has a Angel Policy that dictates that we give credit for their artwork on things that we make. I have a blank stamp that I let my clients and guests use when they craft with me so that their name is on the item they created.

A valuable resource for making cards are the all inclusive Kits the company I work for has come out with in recent years. They allow you to make a large number of cards either just by the directions of the Kit, or embellishing them yourself to "step up" the design. There are Kits you can buy from my company that make 30+ cards and also a monthly Kit club that sends you ingredients in a box that make anything from a single 3D project to 8-10 cards. I use them constantly for thank you cards to my clients and friends. One thing that I do is NOT write in or sign the card (except for the back handmade stamp), but send a short handwritten note explaining that the card is a gift to the recipient to use later. I also provide an envelope for the card to make the card easier to reuse.

I can honestly say that crafting cards has helped me keep it together during tough times. Currently, I am recovering from the second broken knee that I have had this year (clumsy is my middle name) and my friends and customers come to me at my house for all kinds of crafting experiences. We both benefit from the companionship and the satisfaction of completing a beautiful project or two together.

My last advice is for anyone who spends more than $100 a month on their own supplies to take the plunge and become a demonstrator for a well-run and adequately financed craft-related company. A lot of these companies look great and have nice products, but don't manage to stay in business for very long. A good company also links you to the multi-level marketing system, also called Direct Sales, where you have a contact who helps you to join the company and then integrates you onto her "team." Your team can be people all over the country and even the world, but you all have your love of crafting in common. A good team leader involves you in games, contests, learning and sharing--I have to say my leader is one of the best in the industry!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2016, 07:09 AM   #44  
Cardstock Collector

I keep all the cards made for me. I go back and look at them every few months. It reminds me of the person who was kind enough to send it.
I also send handmade cards. If people make comments and thank me, then they receive another handmade card, and if I get no comment or thank you, they receive a card from the Dollar store or a short email. Don't stress. Some people don't appreciate what hard work and thoughtfulness you put in your cards. Find other people who will appreciate you.
Keep doing what you love. Send cards to soldiers over seas. They appreciate any kindness.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2016, 07:24 AM   #45  
Cardstock Collector

I make cards and send them to "everyone" in my family and it is a big family. I enjoy doing it, and generally don't hear back from 3/4 of them. However, when I do hear from someone, it really makes me smile. Some have told me they can't wait to see what I have created for them, one sent me a video of her two sons (my great-nephews) thanking me for the cards. To me it is therapeutic and my "alone" time. I do it because I love to do it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2016, 08:32 AM   #46  
Matboard Maniac

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheabellaView Post
...PS- I have had people open my card, look for money and then just toss the card in the bin right in front of me. When that happens I think "Note to self: Next time I will give them a SIMPLE card, one stamp, a sentiment and of course the envelope to hold the cheque
You have more forbearance than I then, because I wouldn't ever be giving those folks a handmade card again, let alone a cheque! How crass can they be?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2016, 10:32 AM   #47  
Inking Addict

SheaBella PS- I have had people open my card, look for money and then just toss the card in the bin right in front of me. When that happens I think "Note to self: Next time I will give them a SIMPLE card, one stamp, a sentiment and of course the envelope to hold the cheque
__________________I usually give the people that don't show some appreciation a store bought card. Sadly, that includes my mom....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2016, 11:52 AM   #48  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyhawkeView Post
SheaBella PS- I have had people open my card, look for money and then just toss the card in the bin right in front of me. When that happens I think "Note to self: Next time I will give them a SIMPLE card, one stamp, a sentiment and of course the envelope to hold the cheque
__________________I usually give the people that don't show some appreciation a store bought card. Sadly, that includes my mom....
Wow. That is unconscionable! :mad:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2016, 01:09 PM   #49  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I am wondering if disaster relief might be another choice. Sure when your house has been taken out by a tornado you are not interested in "let's have tea", but a parent might like to have a nice bday card for the kids at hand...I have to think events like that so overwhelm the adults and stuff like that gets forced to the side just when a kid could use a boost. I have no idea how to make that happen though.
I wonder if an organization like The Red Cross would be a possible contact for something like that? I know they specialize in disaster relief efforts. Just a thought!

Proud Dirty Dozen Design Team Alumna!
Featured Stamper #564
Blog: Andrea's Paper Antics
SCS Gallery

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2016, 02:48 PM   #50  
Inking Addict

Cardmaker 2.... I know... It bothered me for a while but I now rarely send her one. It's also balanced by the number of people that enjoy and keep my cards. I'm also fortunate that I can sell my extras where I work and I have some customers who will buy them to display/save. It always surprises and flatters me when they tell me that. I feel guilty taking money for one of my cards. I think they're great and have improved with practice but never think I'm as good as my teachers. I've also given them as gifts...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2016, 02:50 PM   #51  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All of these ideas are amazing.

I do have one other thought. Rnruns60, I noticed that you don't have a gallery here. You should consider starting one. No one will respond to your work the way others who do the same thing will. I find that people who don't make cards don't really understand what we do. They don't understand the process - the many techniques and the vast range of materials and all that goes into putting them together to make a finished card. The very first hand-made card I ever recieved was from my SIL, who got me into stamping. I looked at it and thought "Gee, that's so pretty!". Then I stuck it away. Recently I found it while I was reorganizing and, four years later, I was able to look at it and identify every thing she used to make it - including the stamps - as well as the several techniques. And I appreciated it way MORE because of that.

I know that many say that they post to their galleries and no one comments or seems to notice them, and this is sadly often true. My advice to remedy that is twofold - 1) start doing some of the weekly challenges because everyone looks at each other's cards in the gallery for any given challenge and the comments and compliments fly like crazy, and 2) find some folks here on SCS whose cards you admire or whose forum posts you are drawn to and subscribe to their galleries. Then, when they post to their galleries, you'll get an email notification and you can go comment on their card. They'll surely return the favor and the feedback you get from people who "get" what you do is a lovely thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2016, 02:57 PM   #52  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Love all the comments and common thread with card making we experience! It happens to us all. The comments have reinforced my desire to continue making cards and hand made items for friends and family. I don't always get an acknowledgement, but I just keep making the cards and sending them. I don't have boxes full, but love the art journaling hobby, which I do in between making cards. Stand tall card makers and make what makes you happy.

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2016, 03:11 PM   #53  
Inking Addict

So true what UNCBBALLFAN said in post #32.. about sending your cards to another card maker who would definitely appreciate them. I have one friend that became interested in cardmaking through me and we so look forward to each others holiday cards. Just received a 4th of July card from her and i feel so guilty since I don't usually make them so will need to look for a stamp or two. Of course, I always try to send her my best but that doesn't always happen. Another acquaintance that moved several states away now sends me cards because she's been meeting with some people who get together and make them. She's so new at this but I absolutely look forward to getting her new creations and can just see the improvement in her techniques over the last couple of years. Love , love, love all the handmade cards these two ladies send me and they are saved in a box to be brought out during the proper season.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2016, 04:52 PM   #54  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 108 Likes on 70 Posts

I too have a small family and circle of friends to send cards to, yet I keep making them because I enjoy it. But the funny thing is that when I decide so and so really doesn't like my cards and I neglect sending one for some event, I sure hear "Where is my handmade card. Are you mad at me?" Sometimes you just can't win - except when you are doing what you love.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2016, 05:13 PM   #55  
Cardstock Collector

Default Find other sources

I used to belong to an organization that gave birthday cards each month to clients in a nursing home. Another time we donated through the military, and the cards were sent to Iraq or Afghanistan. Service men and women did not have access to the nearest Hallmark store and wanted to send cards to their kids and families...birthday, anniversary, etc. Unfortunately, I no longer have that address.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2016, 06:25 PM   #56  
Embossing Fanatic

I have a stamp for the back of my cards that reads, "If you had any idea how long it took me to make this card, you would never throw it away." It gets people to thinking
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2016, 07:44 PM   #57  
Glitter Queen

I volunteered for the position of a Newcomers' organization to send out birthday cards from the group to all members. It has been so rewarding to try to match the card I made/make to the individual. Plus, I can send my own from "me".

Everyone in the group seems to like the cards they receive. However, handmade cards don't sell for very much at all during our yearly craft/gift sale, and that's discouraging. So I guess it would be better to donate them elsewhere and imagine that others are really appreciating them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2016, 08:00 PM   #58  
Insane Embellisher

Default Appreciating hand made cards

Wow this question really hit home at a point in my life when I'm questioning the time and money I have invested in stamps, papers, dies, embossing folders, and machines. I never really expected to make a profit from my investment in time and money, but I did expect that I was creating something unique and meaningful. I do love creating something handmade, and I get really caught up in the creative process. So those who responded that the joy is in the creation and not necessarily in the admiration of the end user, I couldn't agree more.

I love participating in group stamping sessions where the creativity is openly shared (and copied). What fun to share new ideas and techniques. isn't that the point of all of this that we share a love of creating, and making our little corner if the world a bit more beautiful and inviting?

I think we also have to admit that because of the tech world we live in that hand made greetings sent by snail mail, are likely a hold over from our cultural experience depending on what decade we were introduced to the social norms of the time. I've sent thank you cards to people only to get a hurried email response in return. It hurts a bit.

All that being said I've had some great times with my young granddaughters who want to make cards for their friends in my craft room. How great to see them enjoying all the fun stuff there is to play with, and how surprising it is to see what they come up with.

I've also used my stash to create a six pack of all occasion cards to give to friends who are celebrating birthday, as a gift, in addition to treating them to lunch. They seem to be pleased, but then I'll never know.

Who ever expressed the opinion that if you want to get some monetary reward from this hobby you're best off joining a successful stamping company as a demonstrator, and building up a following. That's not me I'm just a little Indian and not the big chief.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2016, 09:01 PM   #59  
Insane Embellisher

Default Appreciating hand made cards

Wow this question really hit home at a point in my life when I'm questioning the time and money I have invested in stamps, papers, dies, embossing folders, and machines. I never really expected to make a profit from my investment in time and money, but I did expect that I was creating something unique and meaningful. I do love creating something handmade, and I get really caught up in the creative process. So those who responded that the joy is in the creation and not necessarily in the admiration of the end user, I couldn't agree more.

I love participating in group stamping sessions where the creativity is openly shared (and copied). What fun to share new ideas and techniques. isn't that the point of all of this that we share a love of creating, and making our little corner if the world a bit more beautiful and inviting?

I think we also have to admit that because of the tech world we live in that hand made greetings sent by snail mail, are likely a hold over from our cultural experience depending on what decade we were introduced to the social norms of the time. I've sent thank you cards to people only to get a hurried email response in return. It hurts a bit. On the other hand there are these elaborate 3d pop up paper cards that are computer generated, so maybe the whole paper card thing still has some appeal?

All that being said I've had some great times with my young granddaughters who want to make cards for their friends in my craft room. How great to see them enjoying all the fun stuff there is to play with, and how surprising it is to see what they come up with.

I've also used my stash to create a six pack of all occasion cards to give to friends who are celebrating birthday, as a gift, in addition to treating them to lunch. They seem to be pleased, but then I'll never know.

Who ever expressed the opinion that if you want to get some monetary reward from this hobby you're best off joining a successful stamping company as a demonstrator, and building up a following. That's not me I'm just a little Indian and not the big chief.

I recently saw an episode of Family Feud where the question was what handmade item did you receive that you would rather not have gotten? Some of the answers were knitted/crocheted goods, and cards. Ouch! Really!

Last edited by ponygirl2; 07-06-2016 at 09:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2016, 09:01 PM   #60  
Cardstock Collector

I've been lurking awhile, and thought I would chip in once!

Join a card swap! I wasn't making many cards, not that had many ahead, but I felt that I wasn't good at it, no one appreciates them (true story, only two out of 15 in the last half of last year mentioned the fact that I had made a card for them! The others either didn't mention the card at all, or mention that it had been handmade), you know the rest...But a swap group admin on Facebook with whom I'd made acquaintance invited me to join her group. It's been 10 months, and it's been so rewarding. I've seen some beautiful cards, received some beautiful cards, and learned lots of new things. AND, I am making more cards, again.

The other suggestion is not to forget the veterans' homes/organizations; the foster childrens' agencies; and there are groups on Facebook that send cards upon request to people (groups for adults and for children) who need cheering up, support, smiles.

Keep folding, stamping, and sticking! :-) I've appreciated all the great responses here, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2016, 09:26 PM   #61  
Stazon Splitcoast

Another suggestion that was VERY lucrative for me is groups trying to raise Mooney. For example. Our church youth groups go to camp once or twice a year and need to raise funds. I donated bags of 25 cards all packaged in clear envlope with Mailing envelope for the kids to sell for 3.00 each. It was such a hit. The church gives me a $3.00 per card tax credit. The lucrative part was when 2 swim teams (found thru son who was a swimmer) asked if I would supply cards for them to sell. I supplied 2500 nicely packaged cards in Oct each year for 1.00 each which they sold for 4.00. This was 5000.00 each fall right before Christmas. I was always open to talking back what they didn't sell but never got any back. The coaches liked it and I liked in all instances the fact I could just make the cards I wanted too make. I do however make a lot of birthday, thank you and Christmas. Cards in my gallery are representative of the cards I made for the swim teams. Now I also donate to our church bookstore and they as of July 2015 had made over $10,000.00! I also donate to my sisters church. There is so much joy in making cards and knowing someone else likes them enough to buy them!

I am retired for 5 years now so I have a lot of time to make cards and a lot of cards left in me at only 57 years old!

Last edited by sprtchick; 07-06-2016 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: forgot to say
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2016, 02:33 AM   #62  
Hardware Hotshot

I also don't have a ton of people to make cards for. I don't make cards ahead but I do have a big stash from SU classes I attend.

Card making has so enriched my life with new friends, fun nights out creating, fun and relaxing times when creating at home, etc. it's quite the blessing!

For about a year I was part of card Angels. That was maybe 8 years ago. I need to look them up again. I was matched with a cancer patient. I sent about one card per week. Maybe you could find a group like that.

Yes, you could donate to a church and they could sell them or you could just have them out for people to take for free!

I'm actually surprised on how many people in my life comment on my cards.....my hubby, my MIL, my one daughter, my aunt, a few co-workers, and my cousin.

Have you ever thought of finding a small shop to sell your cards in? I haven't read the other replies so maybe these ideas have been mentioned.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2016, 03:23 AM   #63  
Hardware Hotshot

I just found card Angels!! They are part of a group called chemo Angels. And yes, you commit to sending one card per week. I think I'll sign up again!

Just google chemo Angels.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2016, 03:38 AM   #64  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think of cardmaking like golf. I mean, what purpose is there to golf? Someone walks around outside hitting a ball into a hole. To me, boring. And it is super expensive.

But to the golfer, it is camaraderie, exercise, fresh air, a challenge. They love it. People build their lives around playing golf. They move to be in weather where they can play golf year round. They spend a ton on it. Sometimes they join a country club or move to a retirement community just to hang out with other golfers.

Good for them.

And I have pretty much built my free time around making cards. I'm not hurting anyone. I'm not going into debt or ignoring my family (except for my house, which really needs a good cleaning!).

It doesn't matter to the golfer that I think it is silly and it doesn't matter to me that ALL of my friends think my cardmaking is silly.

Hobbies are never silly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2016, 06:38 AM   #65  
Rubber Obsessor

Chocolate Lady would you please tell me what company your stamp "If you had any idea how long it took me to make this card, you would never throw it away" made the stamp. I have one friend from grade school who never says thanks, never sends me a Birthday card or even calls to wish me a Happy Birthday. It's to the point ya want to send it to where with a receipt requested to make sure she got it. I guess the only reason I still send them is I had a pretty ruff childhood and she is the only happy memories I have. I know that it's not that the theme I had was the wrong one. She has 7 horses and horses have always been a part of her life. Her cards always have a horse them. This was a amazing thread because I found out I am not alone. I was at our daughters home a few weeks ago and she has every card the 6 cards I have mail to her and her husband, children and yes even their dogs. That made me feel good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2016, 06:46 AM   #66  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Haha!

Hampton Art This Card - Rubber Stamp LE1061 - 123Stitch.com

"This card was made by hand. If you throw it away those same hands will make a doll in your image and stick pins in its butt."

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2016, 06:59 AM   #67  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not meaning to hurt anyone's feelings (and making this comment because I'm hoping it helps people's feelings from being hurt in the future), but I think if you're making and sending cards looking for positive feedback, you're doing it wrong. NOT saying the feedback isn't lovely and appreciated, but for most folk outside of the card making world, responding about receiving a card isn't in the 'norm' (or at least not in my little corner of the world it isn't).

Gonna sound corny here, but give your gift of love with both hands and set it free. The joy will come back to you in other ways.

Last edited by jeaniebean55; 07-07-2016 at 07:06 AM.. Reason: wording
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2016, 07:14 AM   #68  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniebean55View Post
Not meaning to hurt anyone's feelings (and making this comment because I'm hoping it helps people's feelings from being hurt in the future), but I think if you're making and sending cards looking for positive feedback, you're doing it wrong. NOT saying the feedback isn't lovely and appreciated, but for most folk outside of the card making world, responding about receiving a card isn't in the 'norm' (or at least not in my little corner of the world it isn't).

Gonna sound corny here, but give your gift of love with both hands and set it free. The joy will come back to you in other ways.
True dat. I'd add that if making cards is what you do and you do it because it fulfills something in you, then it kind of doesn't matter whether people make a fuss over them. It's part of your identity and self-image. You're that person who sends hand-made cards. Regardless of what others think of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2016, 07:22 AM   #69  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Of course you are 100% right, jeaniebean. Yet sharing feelings and thoughts can be comforting and help people sort things through.

Talking about recipients' reactions ranging from rudeness to indifference to unexpected gratefulness is really neat.

I made a pop-up gift card holder for our wonderful usher at the Washington Nationals' ballpark to thank him for the first half of the season. It was decorated with paper/pictures from a program and played off of a Nats' slogan to refer to his section.

He gave me the best compliment. He simply said, "You made this?!?!" Yup. "You mean you made it yourself?! Even this?!" (He pointed to a die-cut "Thanks.") "The whole thing?!" (He pointed at the pop-up part.)

Looking back, maybe I shouldn't have taken it as a compliment. Maybe it was more thinking no way I could be that talented, haha!

Btw, if someone tossed my card in the trash in front of me, I wouldn't make them a card again. It clearly isn't their cuppa, so it's a mismatch. NEXT!

Beth

Last edited by bjeans; 07-07-2016 at 07:24 AM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2016, 02:05 PM   #70  
Crimping Master

I think the thought was that most people do not appreciate cards, or even send them any more. I do think about the cost to make these cards when I rarely get a card myself these days. Everyone posts Happy Birthday or Congrats on Facebook (which tells everyone your birthday is coming up this week so they don't have to remember) or I get an email or text. Letters? Not any more. The younger generations are not letter or note writers. It's almost a dying art.

I also ponder this issue. For the cost of the hobby, I wish more people used cards, appreciated getting them, and thought they were a nice little gift. Cards just don't seem to be in the main stream any more. If I do get a card, it's from the dollar store! And I get a ton of emails or phone calls - even from people I send cards to all the time.

I have a friend who used to make cards and it dawned on her she wasn't mailing them out. After 2 years she quit and moved to jewellery making. I take classes with her and she makes earrings and such for gifts and she wears her own stuff. She gifts and donates her jewellery and enjoys making it. She carries all her supplies and tools in one toolbox as apposed to a whole room of stamps/paper/machines/etc. and it is soooo much cheaper. It did hit me....

Last edited by Janet1000; 07-07-2016 at 02:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2016, 03:51 AM   #71  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Jewelry making and card making ... great comparison, imho! Is anyone out there also into jewelry making? I'm not (yet), but am playing around a bit with it, have a friend who is very much into beading. I would venture to say that not every jewelry maker can fit their supplies into a tool box, and are equally challenged with how to handle those who love their work and those who couldn't care less. (It also seems like neither is a cheap hobby, although it can seem at the start like it could be.)

While cards may be less popular for some folk, it doesn't seem true across the board. And speaking of boards, Pinterest has many in the 'younger set' showing off how they're hand decorating the envelopes of letters and cards they're sending, which is darling and encouraging, don't you think?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2016, 04:07 AM   #72  
Glitter Guru

I did jewelry for years. It wasn't cheaper for me than papercrafting, but that's because of the kind of jewelry I wanted to make. I wasn't happy doing wire and beads. By the time I bought all my tools and then my silver wire and sheet and torch and everything else I needed, it was expensive. And took up a lot of space.

I only say that because I could also make cards way more cheaply if I used more limited materials. But I want to have the supplies I need to make what I want. And the tools, including the machines.

You can be a photographer with a low-end DSLR and couple of simple lenses. Or an iPhone, there are lots of people doing beautiful work with phone cameras (and classes being taught about it). Or you could spend a small fortune on camera equipment.

So, if I complain that I spend a lot of this craft, I really have only myself to answer to.

But I totally get what you are saying. If you make a piece of jewelry, you can put it on and wear it when you're done. Or give it to someone and they'll never throw it away. Cards are ephemeral and, in today's world of emails and texts, nearly anachronistic.

You have to have a bit of a zen attitude to be happy as a papercrafter.

I am going to try my hand at art journalling and see how I like it. But that's a whole other kind of activity because no one sees it. Other than oneself.

Of course, my other creative form is writing. Talk about an angst-ridden activity, which can eat up hundreds of hours and produce nothing anyone ever sees. Card making provides a "play-time" alternative. ;)!

In the end we are who we are. I tried to get into painting and collage for a whole year (also not inexpensive, paint and brushes and papers and substrates cost $$$). I learned to use the materials, but frankly I never had much in the way of ideas. It's just not what my creative mind comes up with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2016, 11:18 AM   #73  
Cardstock Collector

Smile

Hi,

I've always created cards with the knowledge that they would be thrown out in a few days. In fact, I'm the one who sometimes throws out the cards I've given my husband. I do them because, basically, they provide so much joy to me, but I was really shocked and surprised when family and friends asked me to start dating them because they were keeping them. Now everyone expects handmade cards, and I'm thrilled to do them, but I'm also aware that some of them will just hit the trash bin. That, too, is fine. I had fun making them. Keep it up and have fun. All the better if you find someone to donate to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2016, 03:51 PM   #74  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniebean55View Post
Jewelry making and card making ... great comparison, imho! Is anyone out there also into jewelry making? I'm not (yet), but am playing around a bit with it, have a friend who is very much into beading. I would venture to say that not every jewelry maker can fit their supplies into a tool box, and are equally challenged with how to handle those who love their work and those who couldn't care less. (It also seems like neither is a cheap hobby, although it can seem at the start like it could be.)

While cards may be less popular for some folk, it doesn't seem true across the board. And speaking of boards, Pinterest has many in the 'younger set' showing off how they're hand decorating the envelopes of letters and cards they're sending, which is darling and encouraging, don't you think?
I make beaded earrings, necklaces and bracelets and have for years. I also do counted cross-stitch with beads, silk ribbon embroidery and charted needlepoint. The only supplies I have for each of these hobbies that would fit in a tool box are the tools! It's the supplies take up tons of room and overflow my closets but they make me happy and I can make lots of gifts for family and friends. Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2016, 06:34 PM   #75  
Pearl-ExPert

My mother criticizes 98% of the cards I make that she sees. But my mother in law praises and keeps each one. I think it depends on the receiver. I stopped making them for my mother for awhile because it was to much pressure to please her. Since it appeared she only cared about the sentiment written/stamped inside and not my artistic expression I decided she can have a cheap store bought. Now I'm back to making them but I don't put a lot of effort into them. Cards to others I do though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2016, 08:25 AM   #76  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 465 Likes on 347 Posts

I was so fortunate to have a wonderful and appreciative mother. She passed away in January and when we were clearing out her things, we found that she had kept every single card I'd ever made and sent her - many years' worth of birthday, Mother's Day, Christmas, thank yous, note cards, etc. I was so touched to know she'd liked them so much that she'd kept them all. She was a real believer in recycling so I brought them all home and I'm re-using some of the card fronts to make new cards and keeping a few them as mementos.

Another suggestion for using the cards you make is to hold a once-a-year sale for friends, family, and neighbours and donate the money to a charity. I find people are more willing to buy when they know the money is going to a good cause. I volunteer with therapeutic horse riding for kids with disabilities so every November I have a sale in my home of mostly Christmas cards (which are my favourite type to make) and raise over $1,000 each year that I give to the therapeutic riding to help fund low-income riders.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2016, 07:02 PM   #77  
Cardstock Collector

I'm fairly new to this site & spend my time reading the posts. However, this subject is one that affects everyone one way or other & sometime or other.
I love all the ideas but I have one suggestion. Have you ever tried ATC's? (Artist Trading Cards) These are traded & the only rule is their size which is the size of a baseball card. I've been told often that my ATC's remind them of greeting cards. I haven't done anything for awhile but am getting back into it. Greeting cards are new to me. I'm looking forward to making them soon.
TYVM for reading my post.
Debi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2016, 07:30 PM   #78  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debi_ncView Post
I'm fairly new to this site & spend my time reading the posts. However, this subject is one that affects everyone one way or other & sometime or other.
I love all the ideas but I have one suggestion. Have you ever tried ATC's? (Artist Trading Cards) These are traded & the only rule is their size which is the size of a baseball card. I've been told often that my ATC's remind them of greeting cards. I haven't done anything for awhile but am getting back into it. Greeting cards are new to me. I'm looking forward to making them soon.
TYVM for reading my post.
Debi
Hi Debi, and welcome. Glad you are jumping in and participating!

Years ago, when I first got into making cards, I participated in a swap for ATC's. I think I had to make 12, send them, and then I would get 12 different ones back. I probably still have all 12 of them stashed someplace, lol.

Maybe it's just me, but I had a terrible time getting what I wanted onto that little small space. I was used to making cards, and just didn't feel like I had room to be creative. I did finally come up with a design I liked, but that's the one and only time I made ATC's!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2016, 02:14 AM   #79  
Pearl-ExPert

You can make them as gifts. An all occasion card set is a great birthday or Christmas gift that allows the other person to save money, give beautiful cards, etc. all year long.

I do think people appreciate homemade cards, but I think in general people aren't as outwardly appreciative anymore about anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2016, 07:02 AM   #80  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

I think that people do often appreciate them without always saying so. I was totally amazed when my half-sister told me she has all the Christmas cards I've sent her - at a point when I was nearly going to stop sending them to her as she never mentions receiving them. And over the last year, I sent cards regularly to someone going through serious depression and in hospital some of the time. I didn't hear from her at all during that time, but just yesterday I received a note in the mail thanking me for them and saying how much they had meant - and that she still has them all.

I know some people do just toss them - but I can understand that because who has infinite space for storage, at the end of the day. But I think more people keep and appreciate them than you might realise.

And I'd echo what everyone else has says - at the end of the day, if you enjoy card making, that's a good reason in itself to keep going. Loved Joan B's analogy with golf :mrgreen:.
Reply With Quote Likes