Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-16-2007, 06:05 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do you teach at an LSS?

or on a design team for one? if you do i'd love to pick your brain. i'm thinking of applying at a brand spankin new store in my area....they have no one yet (kinda like those odds - please don't judge on my gallery, i rarely put anything in it) and, get this, they are not really scrappers. anyhoo, i know that each store/company has it's own "compensation" program, and that it's really not something that people are allowed to discuss, BUT, i really have no idea what to expect/ask for (not sure they do either). so any info would be appreciated.
do you get paid in product, money, both?
do you get paid per class? what about prep?
i really have no idea and i just want it to be fair on both sides.
thanks for any info you can share.
tammy b

It's not fair. Life was never this hard for Barbie & Ken
-
unknown

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2007, 06:19 PM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I do.

I'm on the design team and teach classes at a local store. Let's see...for the design team, this is fairly standard:

You are given a selection of products every month and you are expected to contribute 2 to 4 layouts made from the products you are given. You can add your own stuff to the layout, but you should try to stick to things that are sold in the store or close approximations. They get to display your page and you get it back when you are done. Anything you don't use, you turn back in at the end of the month.

For teaching I am paid per person and that cost is factored into the cost of the class, which is usually the cost of the supplies plus my fee per person. I like to get $10 per person, sometimes it's a little more, sometimes a little less. I make samples from product that is supplied to me, but if I have an idea and already have the product at home, I can certainly use that if I desire. After the class has been held, I get the sample to keep for myself if it has my photos in it.

For prep, I usually cut all the paper since I have a better paper cutter than the store does. Then the owner has the employees bag up the stuff for the students...I provide extra tools if there isn't enough at the store to go around.

My LSS gives a discount based on how many roles you play...Design Team members get 10% off, instructors get 15% and those who do both get 25% off.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2007, 06:17 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I worked and taught stamping classes at my LSS for 3 years, just quit about a year ago. All stores treat their instructors differently, so you never know until you talk with them. Mine used mostly employees to teach so we were paid our hourly wage for prep time and class time, so you got paid no matter how many people came to class, and the store paid for all supplies used in class. (As employees we also got a huge discount on personal purchases)
Alot of stores want outside instructors to pay for their own supplies and make a percentage based on how many take the class, which can really cause the instructor to loose out on time and product if you don't get a good showing in class.
Be sure to ask lots of questions and get all the info before you decide to teach
Good luck!

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2007, 07:49 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thank you ladies

this was the kind of info i wanted. i'm in the exploration stages and your input is so appreciated
happy friday
tammy

It's not fair. Life was never this hard for Barbie & Ken
-
unknown

Reply With Quote Likes