Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-25-2008, 07:33 AM   #41  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SherryLC05View Post
I don't know if I am talented and creative enough to scrapbook. It's all I can do to make cards. Most of my pictures are in shoe boxes, a few albums, and on my computer's hard drive. hehe. I am not organized enough to put them all together let alone create a layout for them. If I ever get married again though I think I would like one of the wedding.
I'll buy you one for your wedidng gift, hehe;)
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 08:06 AM   #42  
Inking Addict

Default I create cards

I create cards now and simply love it but I buy enough supplies to do both. In fact now that I have a grand daugther I'm leaning towards at least doing scrapbooks of her. I just went home to visit and took tons of pictures of my gbaby, my brothers wedding, his son's first birthday party, and nieces, nephews, and family so maybe they will be inspiring enough to start scrapbooking.

I do however remember putting photos in a photo album and putting little stickers and such near the mouths of people and everyone loving to look in my albums. Only difference today is that you have all these beautiful embellishments to add. So before it was even called scrapbooking I was doing the same thing but wasn't as focused on pleasing others or competing to win prizes.

I love being creative above all so whatever form I do it in brings me joy. I even love altering objects like pringle cans, and boxes and purses I find at the flea market.

So my advice is to be creative and enjoy what you create and that way no one can hurt your feelings.

Those who refuse to work for themselves will always work for others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 08:11 AM   #43  
Rubber Obsessor

I do both. I have been scrapbooking since the 1960's (way before archival products). One thing I have learned is that everyone has their own style that is unique to them. It's part of what makes their albums special. I have looked through albums that are not my style but they have their own beauty. I always find things to appreciate in them: the color combinations, the photo's, the stories, page designs. I agree with the other posters - if someone made you feel bad about your scrapbook they THEY have a problem, not you. They either don't understand our art or they are so insecure that they must belittle others to build up themselves. Please don't take it to heart and let it keep you from doing something that you enjoy.

Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 09:58 AM   #44  
Matboard Maniac

I'm more of a scrapper and just recently got into cards.

I've always been into photos and would make collages and put together albums when I was a little kid. I started scrapping before I realized what I was doing and that there was a whole industry that sold stuff for it specifically.

So I've been a "serious" scrapper for about 6 years or so and def only do it as a way to record family memories.

I know what you mean about the "celebrity" which is why I don't go to crops, don't post stuff online, don't enter contests and don't really show off my work, I just scrap for me and my family (sometimes gifts). Sometimes I think I want to get into that end of it more, but I'm not the type of person that needs someone else's approval for anything I do, so I doubt I will.

I'm just a creative, artsy person all around...like to write stories, play musical instruments, create recipes, draw, paint, sew, crochet, decorate... And I love love photography, so it all just sorta comes natural... I didn't really ever decide like "ok now i am going to scrapbook or now i am going to stamp cards" My creativity constantly morphs!

I would totally encourage you getting back into scrapping b/c it is a very therapeutic process and allows you to record memories and tell stories.

I suggest you get back into it by starting with a few layouts about yourself and your love of cardmaking (like what products you like, techniques you like, pictures of cards you are proud of) I think that may be a good jump start back into it.

I hope you come back to the scrapping side!!! good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 10:22 AM   #45  
Pearl-ExPert

I scrapbooked first and its my true passion along with the photography part of it too...but I have more natural talent in card making, lol. Go figure I suppose.

I got back and forth with my spurts...last year all I did was scrapbook. This year is more of a card year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 10:32 AM   #46  
Matboard Maniac

I loved scrapbooking, but do not do it anymore. The albums take up soooo much room. When we had to evacuate for the California fires last year,my albums were put into 2 huge duffle bags and were very heavy.

So... now I just make photo albums on snapfish or iphoto etc. The books are beautiful and hardly take up any space. It probably costs less too.

Therefore I have tons of scrapbooking items left that I am trying to use in my card making.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 06:24 PM   #47  
Hardware Hotshot

I started as a scrapbooker and love it. I really enjoy cardmaking and when I started scrapbooking took a back seat. I now try to balance to the two so I don't get so far behind. I subscribe to all the magazines and started to fall victim to my album doesn't look like that, SHOULD IT?!?! Then I realized I like my books just the way they are. The pictures inspire me to make the pages and my family enjoys them. That's what matters. I love to watch my kids flip through their book. GOOD LUCK!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 08:27 PM   #48  
Polyshrink Goddess

I started of making cards, I had no idea what scrapbooking was! One day I took the leap and made an 8x8 simple scrapbook for my baby nephew. It was fun! I enjoy making themed albums for others and mini albums again usually for others! I have so far completed 1 layout for my own scrapbook in the past 3 years lol!

WHOOPS SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST!! I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DELETE IT!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 08:27 PM   #49  
Polyshrink Goddess

I started of making cards, I had no idea what scrapbooking was! One day I took the leap and made an 8x8 simple scrapbook for my baby nephew. It was fun! I enjoy making themed albums for others and mini albums again usually for others! I have so far completed 1 layout for my own scrapbook in the past 3 years lol!

I can only make small things, I can not do 12x12....too much space, it freaks me out! lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 08:38 PM   #50  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniesmomView Post
I had someone turn their nose up at one of my albums and it really hurt my feelings. I stepped away from it for several years and now I am going to try my hand at it again. It seems I have finally refocused myself as to why I scrapbook in the first place: to preserve memories and milestones for my children plus I enjoyed it.
I am more than a bit horrified that someone would snub your hard work!! Scrapbooking is entirely personal, and the first rule I taught my clients in all the hundreds of classes I taught was "there are no rules". I am sorry for your experience and I hope the albums you will create in the future bring you and your family much joy.

For myself I am now retiring from my scrapbooking business and finding that I now have more time for both my hobbies: scrapbooking and cardmaking. For me scrapbooking is a longer term labour: 6-8 pages a night and likely 60 pages to complete an annual album. Card making is quicker and so a bit more gratifying in that way.

Don't worry about what other people think. Their taste isn't yours, nor are their bad manners.

Cheers,
Jackie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2008, 12:29 PM   #51  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiKel4View Post
I love scrapbooking! It is actually my first passion - I have been doing it since high school, long before it became a "fad" and anyone had even heard of it! I think it's one of the most wonderful legacies I will leave behind for my kids. But it is time consuming and it takes planning - printing pics, getting the right pp, embellies, etc ........ it's a passion for me.
I recently started stamping/card making about 1.5 years ago - so I'm a "newbie" so to speak - but love it. I love the swaps and the comraderie that it brings as well. So I guess my answer is both!
Totally Ditto for me. I guess I always felt like "telling my story" with a scrapbook.
And, I get caught up in the perfectionism of cardmaking just as much as scrapping! But I do agree that cards are faster, so sometimes i just want to "get 'er done," KWIM? And you don't have to worry about what you use so it's "archival" as much.
But I think I enjoy scrappin more, actually, in the long run. I think the cards just get thrown away while scrapbooks are a heritage.
I use idea books a lot, for those who feel they don't know where to start. Or, just start by thinking of it as a photo album "plus" as someone mentioned already. I did a lot of that, just putting pictures in my photo albums but adding memorabilia or stickers that "enhanced" the event.
And, I still have a photo album to display the pictures that I can't fit on the layout, so that helps me feel like I am not leaving anything out.
There is definitely no one right way to scrap!

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes