Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-24-2008, 06:03 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you scrapbook

or just make cards?

If not, why?

I started out scrapbooking and I got so tired of the "celebrity" of it. It really took the joy out of it for me. It seemed that everything had to be perfect in order to be worthy. I had someone turn their nose up at one of my albums and it really hurt my feelings. I stepped away from it for several years and now I am going to try my hand at it again. It seems I have finally refocused myself as to why I scrapbook in the first place: to preserve memories and milestones for my children plus I enjoyed it.

My Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 06:12 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I do both in theory, but don't get much of either done. I know what you mean about the quest for perfection, but it's me who puts the pressure on myself. I figure I am the family story teller and I really want to get that story told well caught up to now.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 06:24 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 404 Likes on 305 Posts

I love scrapbooking! It is actually my first passion - I have been doing it since high school, long before it became a "fad" and anyone had even heard of it! I think it's one of the most wonderful legacies I will leave behind for my kids. But it is time consuming and it takes planning - printing pics, getting the right pp, embellies, etc ........ it's a passion for me.
I recently started stamping/card making about 1.5 years ago - so I'm a "newbie" so to speak - but love it. I love the swaps and the comraderie that it brings as well. So I guess my answer is both!

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My Instagram: kellyannsanti
My YouTube channel

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 06:24 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I do both and enjoy both equally. I cannot believe that someone would actually turn up their nose at one of your scrapbooks! Everyone has their own individual style. While some scrapbooks I've seen are very different from mine, I still love looking at them because I know that person has preserved a part of themselves and put their own individual touch on it. In fact, one of my friends does the old type scrapbooks which is just glueing the pics and mementos on pages randomly and then does handwritten journaling. Totally different from what I do but I love looking at her work because she puts so much of herself into it, rather than making it all artsy like I do.

Your last sentence sums it all up, IMO.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 06:45 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I started out scrapping and then found a local group back in 1998. I did it faithfully for about 6 years, then the group disbanded, the magazine styles went way overboard and I found it hard to make time for it as ds (my one and only) entered hs. I started with cards and then stamping about 2 years ago and it was a nice substitute for scrapping, used a lot of the same supplies and I could do it in less time than it was taking me to make a layout. Then came the digital camera and I was not printing photos much at all, just storing them on the computer and enjoying the slide show we have on our screensaver.

This fall ds starts college and I really hope to be able to balance both cards and scrapping again since I will have more 'me' time. I have not lost the love of scrapping so I do plan to continue it and finish the books I have started for ds. My older sister is the 'keeper' of most of our family photos and I always want to go through the books when I am there to visit. I am hoping sometime in the future we can start copying the pictures to share (my other sister & I have already started to do some of this) but have to convince older sis she can 'trust' us with the photos as she will not scan and save them, even though she has more time.

I do agree with the sentiments already stated here that leaving this legacy for our families is something they will treasure. I love to hear the older generations tell their stories and want to record my own for my son to hear as I know these stories reasonate more when the listener is ready.

Rachael
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 06:54 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

I love card making. I think scrapbooking, to me, is too hard! There is so much space to fill up! I have only ever done a few decent pages, but they aren't WOW, know what I mean?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 07:02 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Nope, cards only. My sister scrapbooks and I always said "no way". #1, I could never narrow down just a few photos to use on a page and #2, the expense!! LMAO, I've dropped plenty of coinage on my own little hobby =)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 07:06 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

No scrapbooking for me. My mom tried really hard about 5 years ago to get me to do it. She even went so far as to buy me a ton of supplies for a Christmas present. It took a while but she finally got that it wasn't me. It wasn't long after she started making cards that I was like, "ooh I want to play too" so here I am - a card maker!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 07:06 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I do both... Actually started scrapbooking several years ago, but moved to stamping, then mixing the two. I love doing both! My work may not be "magazine worthy" or fantastic, but I enjoy it and the recipients of the cards, gifts and scrapbooks seem to genuinely appreciate and enjoy the work...

Remember that malicious criticism is mean and should be ignored! It is usually from those who "can't." Constructive criticism, given by those who may have more experience and some positive pointers, helps make us better scrappers and stampers!

Cheryl Kay
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 07:07 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I started scrapbooking and then started making cards with my leftovers to help justify the costs, and try and make some money. I enjoy doing both!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 07:09 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

in the beginning i was 'cards only'

i did a scrapbook for my son for his graduation open house... i am HOOKED!

have already bought like 4 more albums.

my passion is still cards but i will be scrapbooking too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 07:16 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

I started scrapbooking before card making. I love to do it but it is very time consuming for me because I stress myself out about it. I just can't seem to stay caught up. It's really something I want to do for my girls though. My mother died when I was 6 and my scrapbooks for them are basically from my point of view. I mostly scrap pictures that evoke a feeling from me so in the event something happens to me, they know how I was feeling at that particular time. I also keep a journal that I write in frequently for both of them. The few momentos I have from my mother mean the world to me so I hope someday these scrapbooks will be the same for them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 07:24 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

I started scrapbooking first and I absolutely LOVE it. It is a passion of mine. I recently started card making and I am hooked. I do the card making for sharing. My scrapbooking is my storytelling. Don't let anyone discourage you from anything you do. Do what makes you happy...create and be confident with your creations.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 07:37 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Skype™ to okstamper

No, but I need to. I have all the stuff and then some. Just dont know where to start?:(

Bonnie
My Blog~Bonnie's Creative Corner
Every Job is a Self-Portrait of the Person Who Did It.
Autograph Your Work With Excellence.~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 07:45 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

I started with scrapbooking. I love to scrapbook. Cardmaking and altered art came about 4 years ago. I love it too. I wish I had more time in the day to do it all. There is no wrong way to scrapbook. The person who looked down their nose at your scrapbook has issues that have nothing to do with you or your scrapbook. I'm glad you came back to it. It's all about the stories that are priceless.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 08:04 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

I love both. I have been making cards for years. I started paper scrapbooking and did that a few years then switched to digital a couple of years ago, I also do hybrid combining the two. I just love creating and learning. There is never a wrong way to create a card or memory page. I am always inspired by something in someone's art.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 08:04 PM   #17  
Glitter Queen

I do both.
I'm just floored that someone turned their nose up at your album - how wrong is that!
I don't worry about making my albums perfect. I do it for fun, I do it because my kids love to read the stories with the photos.
And I do cards just as much because I enjoy both.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 08:09 PM   #18  
Inking Addict

i started with scrapbooking, but now i do both. i too am a perfectionist. i have to go in stages...card making for a couple of weeks, then put that down and turn to scrapbooking for a little while..it is the only way i can do it without getting too frustrated with myself!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 08:58 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started as a scrapbooker, then got curious about stamping, went to a party vowing to just "look not buy", and you can probably figure out what happened.

I started doing cards when I realized that it was a great way to use up the scraps left from a page. Then I started altering stuff. Now I mostly make cards and alter stuff.

My daughter is going off to college, so I'll be making a planner and some oddments for her room. I also need to finish a small 8x8 "Friends" album and a "Grad" word album for her to take with her.

Once she's off at school, I'll be an empty nester, so I hope to get back to my roots and work on the family albums again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 09:03 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I started out scrapbooking, and made a couple of albums. I enjoyed it, but it really took a lot of time.

We have a huge family - 5 grown kids and 17 grandkids, and 2 great-grandchildren.

I can't possibly do justice to photos for them all. I'm lucky to get birthday cards made for everyone, lol.

I love cardmaking so much more than I did scrapbooking, and I'm able to use lots of the same stuff for my cards that I had accumulated for scrapping, so it's worked very well.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 09:03 PM   #21  
Watercolor Wizard

I originally went to an SU workshop because my friend said I could buy scrapbooking stuff, and I was determined to actually start scrapbooking, but then I started making cards and never looked back... :mrgreen:

I like the immediate gratification of making a card. Plus, scrapbooks get viewed once, then thrown in a drawer. Cards are put on display for everyone to enjoy.

I design for Wee Memories Scrappy Saturday Challenge
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 09:47 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I just arrange photos on a page and do minimal stamping around the borders and have the nerve to refer to it as "scrapbooking". But I enjoy it a lot whenever I get around to it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 10:25 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

I do both, too.
I definitely make more cards than scrapbook pages nowadays though. Still, I like to do a page every so often just to document what's happening in my world.

teri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 10:29 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love to scrapbook, I just never do. I think it is because I just don't know where to start. I have a friend who is a CTMH consultant though and I recently bought a book that they have that makes scrapbooking so easy. Shows you layouts complete with dimensions and everything. Tells you everything you need to create the page. So I think once we get this next move under our belts I may try my hand at scrapbooking. I have tried to do cards more, but mostly I love to alter things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 11:15 PM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

I do both....but it's seems like forever since I've scrapbooked. Hope to get hot and heavy into it again after the kids go back to school.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 03:58 AM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

I used to scrapbook a lot but it just takes so much time.... then I fell WAYYYYYYYYYY far behind and now its all sitting there. My biggest problem is that I'm not a picture taker... I'm the parent who always forgets the camera. Then, I'd work on an album and realize big chunks of "life" were missing and get discouraged. I am determined though that I will get back into it and at least do pages for the things I have. Maybe when my DS starts 1st grade.

Now I love that I can make a card in one sitting and have something to show! Plus I think there are so many more styles and options open for a card. (ie, I love coloring with prismapencils but would never attempt that style on a scrapbook page, KWIM?)

Anyway, to all you scrappers and card makers out there, I salute you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 04:08 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

I am so sorry someone did that to you! I think that is what makes a scrapbook special--your own touch. I would never judge someone else's. I am a scrapbooker first then stamper. I just started stamping maybe a year ago. I love both.

My GF's and I get together at least 1-2 times a month to scrap--we call it group therapy! Our husbands and kids know to leave us alone!

I hope you get back into it--think of the memories for your kiddos! Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 04:10 AM   #28  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew Alumni

I do both and love both, but (more importantly) just wanted to say that I would LOVE to check out your albums some time, Pia! Your cards and pages are gorgeous

and they all lived scrappily ever after - my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 04:36 AM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniesmomView Post
or just make cards?

If not, why?

I started out scrapbooking and I got so tired of the "celebrity" of it. It really took the joy out of it for me. It seemed that everything had to be perfect in order to be worthy. I had someone turn their nose up at one of my albums and it really hurt my feelings. I stepped away from it for several years and now I am going to try my hand at it again. It seems I have finally refocused myself as to why I scrapbook in the first place: to preserve memories and milestones for my children plus I enjoyed it.
I started out scrapping and have only made a cards a few years. I am our family's genealogist so I include a lot of info on the scrapbook pages of our history. I inherited family photos from both grandmothers, going back to ggg grandparents!

I am so sorry that someone didn't appreciate your album. They are the one missing out! To hurt a friend's feelings, to underappreciate the time and value of memories preserved,... Maybe someday they will see that they were wrong. In the meanwhile, you know how much your albums will mean to you and your family and generations to come!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 04:50 AM   #30  
Kookie Creator

I do both. Nothing fancy like some others can do, but nice enough where I like it. Making the pages sorta relaxes me and brings memories at the same time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 05:43 AM   #31  
Inking Addict

I do both and paper crafting as well. I make boxes, books, ornaments and other items. I've always liked paper. Years back, I made a deliberate decision NOT to get into stamping at that time. It was a good decision then. I couldn't have afforded it!

My Other Hobby
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 06:07 AM   #32  
Glitter Guru

I love to do both. I really enjoy the proccess (and end result!) of scrapbooking. Plus, I love having a 12x12 canvas to work with. One of the best things I ever did for my scrapbooking was to read The Big Picture by Stacy Julian -- it was so liberating! I don't worry about chronological, being caught up (never gonna happen), following trends, etc. I do what makes me happy with my layouts. It made me love scrapbooking all over again.

I'm really sorry someone was so rude about your albums -- so uncool. We all have different tastes and perspectives and I think it's fun to see how others scrap. It's inspiring!

Last edited by frankie; 07-25-2008 at 06:07 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 06:23 AM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

I only do scrapbooking. It can be time-consuming but I enjoy making books.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 06:40 AM   #34  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am passionate about sewing. All kinds of sewing, quilting, garment, home dec. But sewing projects do not yield instant gratification. They are laborious and time consuming. I have spent years and years accumulating all of the must have accoutrments for a well stocked sewing room.

Then I discovered card-making. Not only did it have an abundance of doo-dads, and nifty notions, they were CHEAP! Cheap as in relative to sewing (fabric, machines, thread, patterns, stabilizers, .......). So I went hell for leather into card-making supplies. I LOVE IT. For me it is fast and cheap! What could be better? And cards can be treasured as a small snap shot in time - just as worthy a legacy as a scrapbook album. Every card I make is a unique and heartfelt message to the receipient. Hopefully they don't end up in the trash can, but oh-well, if they do, I'll never know about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 06:52 AM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewnmachineView Post
I am passionate about sewing. All kinds of sewing, quilting, garment, home dec. But sewing projects do not yield instant gratification. They are laborious and time consuming. I have spent years and years accumulating all of the must have accoutrments for a well stocked sewing room.

Same here!! I used to sew a ton, but just a simple little project took half a day, with only one item to show for it...and the fabric collection cost 10 times what paper collecting costs...as well as the space it hogged!

I still sew...but much less...usually only when needed. However now the ULTIMATE baby gift I think it a beautiful handmade patchwork flannel quilt with a matching handmade card!

So...I do cards...I have all the albums and collections of papers for scrapbooks for each of my kids, along with many special photos all in their own box...but they have been untouched for about a year. In fact I think only one photo is in place in one book. It does have a lot to do with seeing results faster...I am impatient, and like to see three finished works (cards) in a day instead of half a scrap page.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 06:57 AM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

i started out doing cards only and tried to stay away from scrapbooking. finally after my son was born i gave in and started scrapbooking. it took a while for me to feel pleased with my product. i really love it now and try to focus on my pictures and not worry so much about what other people think. i love it when my kids ask to see "my book" and just have to giggle when they "remember" things like coming home from the hospital and baptisms and first birthdays afterall, i am doing it for them and if they like it then i have been successful!

glad to hear you are trying again! i am sure you will quickly fall in love with the process again and thoroughly enjoy your end product too!
My Etsy Store
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 07:14 AM   #37  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

I only make cards and the occassional altered item, very occassional.

I just cant think of enough stuff to take up as much stuff as you need to fill a whole scrapbook page.

I love looking at them and am always so impressed by scrappers and their ability to create entire books of pages, it's a serious talent.
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 07:24 AM   #38  
Cardstock Collector

I started scrapbooking in 2001 and I've scrapbooked 1995 to the present since then! My husband and I are both journalers, so it made sense to put the journaling with the photographs in a book. Some of my pages are really great, some are just a way for me to get all of our photos, memorabilia and journaling into an album. I started making cards in 2005, beginning with a very simple Christmas card. I've always considered myself artistic, but sometimes scrapbooking, cardmaking and other creative outlets take a back seat to busy times in our household. I always manage to get caught up though.

I've never thought of my scrapbooking as being for anyone other than our immediate family although I have shared my books with others when asked to do so. I must say I've never had anyone insult me if my scrapbooking style is not to their liking. I agree that the issues of this person run far deeper than their opinion of your scrapbook. I think your last sentence sums it up. Scrapbooking is about family and the pleasure that it gives you to create something valuable and lasting for them. For me scrapbooking is not about trends or celebrity, but about the memories of our family.

Sarah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 07:30 AM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I do not scrapbook but I do like the notion of it. I did an 8x8 album for my sister of my nephew's first year. As for scrapping for myself, I did most of a Christmas album & that was it. I do enjoy it but it is hard not to get caught up in the Perfectionist attitude of it. That overwhelms me. So for now, I have given myself permission to let it go & just be happy making cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 07:31 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't know if I am talented and creative enough to scrapbook. It's all I can do to make cards. Most of my pictures are in shoe boxes, a few albums, and on my computer's hard drive. hehe. I am not organized enough to put them all together let alone create a layout for them. If I ever get married again though I think I would like one of the wedding.
Reply With Quote Likes