Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-13-2008, 08:12 AM   #41  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by artfulstamperView Post
I am a hoarder also. When I am making a card for someone, I ask myself: "are they paper/embellishment worthy"? Also if I goof with a piece of designer paper I have to say my mantra over and over again-"it's only paper, it's only paper..."

LOL!!! I've thought that too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 09:00 AM   #42  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

I got a beautiful engagment announcement in the mail that had a matching lined envelope. I removed the lining and used it to make a congratulations card to send to the bride.
What a fabulous, thoughtful idea! Not to hijack even further but in addition to saving paper, I have to admit to saving every wedding invitation I've ever received. I just think they're so pretty, and I know how much the bride agonized over what to choose, and they're 'spensive and they just feel so elegant...<sigh>...it's a really weird thing to collect. I tell myself if I ever forget a friend's anniversary I can always go back and look it up, but it really doesn't make it any less weird.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 10:31 AM   #43  
Polyshrink Goddess

I was a paper hoarder for so long, with stacks and stacks of it, and then I just thought, what am I waiting for? I gotta use some up so I can buy more! I ahve to admit I am still in paper-hoarding therapy, but I use it when I can =)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 11:17 AM   #44  
Mad Swapper

I keep all my "good" paper. There are some that I've had for a while and will most likely never use -- they usually came from one of those big packages and I would give them to my 4-yr-old who loves to do crafts with me.

Happily designing for WPlus9 and CSS stamps, Waltzingmouse sketch, Scarlet Lime kit club, and the Digichick Card Caravan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 11:46 AM   #45  
Die Cut Diva

I used to hoard all my paper, especially years ago when I was more into scrapbooking. But then I realized I need to use it so I took a deep breath and started to cut!

I admit I am VERY careful and stingy with some retired SU DP from last spring, that came out with the polka dots and paisleys set. I absolutely LOVE this paper and the colors!

I will be stingy with it until I get the new 'Afternoon tea' and the fruity papers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 12:15 PM   #46  
Kookie Creator

I am so with you! I'm a paper addict. I buy two of every sheet of paper that I buy. If I REALLY like it, I won't use either sheet, but will buy more! It's ridiculous, isn't it?

Colleen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 12:53 PM   #47  
Polyshrink Goddess

I was a classic hoarder with paper, ribbon and, well, everything. Since I started my blog, I've wanted to use it because it looks so good on screen. I can go and look at it whenever I want -
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 12:56 PM   #48  
Die Cut Diva

Nope I do this too! Especially with SU dp. I always buy the cheap kind from the scrapbook store to use and hoard my Su dp. Why? I am not sure. I also save every single little last scrap. Some of them I am sure I can never use but I can't part with it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 01:08 PM   #49  
Polyshrink Goddess

It is so nice to know that I am not alone in my paper addiction! I have over the last year or so been trying really hard to use up what I have. I also agree about taste in papers/colors/designs changing. As far as the comment about if someone is embellishment worthy -- when I sent our Christmas cards out this last year, which card people got was determined by whether or not they would appreciate the hard work that went into making the cards. If I didn't think they would, they got a much simpler (less tedious & time consuming to make) card. LOL

My Blogs: Mission Inkpossible & Embry Family Recipes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 01:15 PM   #50  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh dear, one can never have too much yarn or too much paper!

I hoard and then some! I am really trying to use some of it.....really!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 01:46 PM   #51  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hello, my name is Elizabeth and I am a recovering paper hoarder. I try to be really good about using what I buy (if I really love a particular paper I buy at least 5 sheets...sick I know) but it doesn't always happen. I recently gutted my craft room (all of the sewing goodness had to move out to make room for the paper goodness) and sent a very large box to my 8 year old brother. All of that stuff I bought years ago that I don't care for now went to him. I've also heard of elementary schools and after school programs that accept donations of art supplies for all of you who want to get rid of some things without feeling guilty (you know, for the money you spent and now have a hard time justifying). That way school kids can enjoy the items you no longer will. Silver lining people!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 07:09 PM   #52  
Gallery Gazer

I used to be exactly like that, but now I'm not afraid to cut into anything, or give it away-even to a complete stranger-when I'm finished making the project. My mom died a couple of years ago, and I guess it was around that time that I realized that saving things, anything, "for good, or nice" was silly. My advice is to use your stuff like there's no tomorrow. There might not be. On the other hand, if it makes you happy to just have stacks of paper sitting around, there's no harm in it.
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2008, 07:52 PM   #53  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by juttaView Post
There was a great post a few days ago about making envelopes out of some of the paper that you weren't crazy about. I have very little PP, I'd rather make my own, but I do have a few sheets that were given to me that are just not my taste, but they would make great envelopes! Or you could use it as a lining if it's just too awful for the outside.
Jutta
I love that idea about using PP for the lining of envelopes. I too have paper that I bought long ago that I couldn't bear to use because I didn't have quite the right project worthy of its beauty and now it's so out of style that I won't use it. So I think I'll put it to good use lining envelopes and even turn it over and stamp on it. Thanks for the good ideas ladies!

I've been trying to use some of my scraps to decorate the insides of my cards. You can cut a slender 1/8 - 1/4 inch of pattern paper and adhere the tiny strip to the top or to the side of the inside. It provides a splash of abstract color and a decorative element and the "ugly" pattern won't even be recognized.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 01:37 AM   #54  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniesmomView Post
You know that paper that is so pretty that you are afraid to cut it and use it up because you will no longer have it. Many times when I flip through my stash I think I can't use that, no not that one either. I mean I bought this paper to use but I just can't part with it. Sounds strange I know. Am I the only. Am I the only one that does this????? Please someone tell me I am not.
I have a category in one of my accordian files aptly named: Love Paper. I don't use it. I just look at it, touch it, feel it, think about it, hee hee.

Someday some lucky person will get something I have created with my Love Paper!!

You are not alone...in fact you are in good company by reading through this thread!!!!!!

Love paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 03:48 AM   #55  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirolivesView Post
I have a category in one of my accordian files aptly named: Love Paper. I don't use it. I just look at it, touch it, feel it, think about it, hee hee.

Someday some lucky person will get something I have created with my Love Paper!!

You are not alone...in fact you are in good company by reading through this thread!!!!!!

Love paper.
OMG, this is too funny! I don't mind cutting into and using paper, but there are pieces that I don't have a clue what to do with and just keep, wondering how to use them. You've inspired me to keep them as LOVE PAPER and not worry about it. Thanks!

I saw on a blog the idea of posting a pretty piece of paper on a tack-board for inspiration in your craft space. Think I might do that with some of my love paper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 04:45 AM   #56  
Crimping Master

I also use it while I still love it knowing there is always more to love and buy later. I also have some old stuff I can't figure out why I bought so that seems like a total waste of money to me. Use it ... make beautiful cards ... buy more!

Tamara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 05:20 AM   #57  
Hardware Hotshot

So true Carla! You can only save so much. A joy left unshared, is lost forever!

Cut that paper, make something and send to a friend! Brighten their day!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 05:27 AM   #58  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have been working on this issue!! I think I am to the point where I realize that even though I love a paper ~ there are always more that I'll discover or that are new, and I'll be able to find something else just as special. At least that's what a I tell myself . Someone earlier mentioned that her tastes will change in time and I'm going to try that one for my rationalization process, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 06:09 AM   #59  
Insane Embellisher

Default paper saving

well at least now I know I'm not wierd or something, as I think by the sounds of it, most of us have this little problem. I have tons of paper, love it, but I have decided that I must use it, or give it away because I am running out of room. I am in the midst of cleaning my craft room and it is overwelming....
terrible to think but the other night I thought, Oh my what if I died, who the heck would clean up all this paper, they would say I was crazy...funny in a way, but..so I am cutting it up,and coming up with all types of projects requiring the prettiest of papers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 06:30 AM   #60  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just love pretty paper, and don't want to part with it either. I have decided to start making scripture cards for myself with my favorite papers. That way, I can keep some and give the rest away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 06:47 AM   #61  
Mad Swapper

Oooooh, paper hoarder extrodinare' here!!!
I've got 2 - 12 x 12 - 3 drawer racks with 5 of the drawers full. And that's just the 12 x 12. Then my DD has a plastic folder that holds a lot of 12 x 12's that I am always stealing from because I don't want to use mine.

It's a sickness I say!!;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 07:34 AM   #62  
Gabfest Goddess

I do it and it's so dumb, isn't it? That's what we buy it for! I try to tell myself there is a prettier paper right around the corner so don't be afraid....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2008, 07:37 AM   #63  
Matboard Maniac

Ohhh I too feel everyone's pain of the "paper hoarder". Finally, last month, I closed my eyes and grabbed a huge and I mean huge stack to give away as a birthday present to a friend. I also gave her a beautiful scrapbook album along with the precious paper. I really need to repeat this a few more times.
Reply With Quote Likes