Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-29-2015, 12:02 PM   #1  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 738 Likes on 358 Posts
Default Do you really look at your Pins?

I find I have such limited time to make cards...between my mundane life and scrolling places like here...the gallery, posts, etc.

I know Pinning is this huge thing out there. I am the first to admit I am not a social media kid. My generation had inspiration boards on the wall.

I dont get it. I am drowning in emails as it is from blogs and mfgs sites and so on. I cant possibly tweet, FB, IM, etc. etc. I get between 20-50 emails a day (in an address I built just for that) I can be up late into the night looking at things.

I do bookmark info sites. I did open a Pinterst account after someone insisted I do, but after putting 3 things there I never looked back.

It feels like everyone has 1000 things pinned! Is pinning more than just pinning? Is it a trigger entry for goodie bags or something? Am I missing something?

Are you REALLY going back and looking at them? Where do you find the time?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2015, 03:11 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I pin a lot and I do use some of them, but not many. I have a few different boards, like recipes, knitting & crochet (which I'm more into right now than my stamping), and jewelry & beading. If I think I might want to do something, i go to my pins first and search them to see if I had already pinned something similar to what I want to do. If I don't have something pinned, then I search other pins. If that doesn't turn up anything, then I google.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2015, 04:13 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 520 Likes on 234 Posts

I'm one of those who uses Pinterest A LOT! You really don't want to know how many pins and followers I have but you can see if you look at my Pinterest.

And yes, I use my Pinterest. My boards are so well organized that I don't have to spend hours looking for something. Well, some of them need weeding out, but most are most useful. And they're just like having bulletin boards on the wall...but I don't need a gymnasium to put up all those boards!

My Pinterest secrets?
...You need to follow the people who really and truly like the things you like...and ONLY follow the boards that have things you are interested in. The only people I follow all their boards are my daughter and daughters-in-law. They don't follow all of mine and I don't expect them to.
...You need to make boards for what YOU are interested in and what you would want to find again. After all, that's the purpose. Pinterest gives you some default boards at first, but I think that's for a space filler and idea starter. My interests are in paper arts (cards, watercolor, and zentangle), genealogy, food, and home/household stuff. I have a bunch of pretty pictures to look at, and some boards of sayings and humor that have been well-loved. That's 95% of it.

As for other "social" media...
Facebook: I have quite a few friends, but I don't follow their feeds any more. I can still look them up if I want to. I follow family, a very few close friends, and some groups that relate to special interests of mine or business I conduct. I don't much like FB. I get too much stuff that is from a friend of a friend of a friend because they tagged someone or liked something that relates to one of my friends. I don't care about that stuff! And I have a terrible time getting the things I WANT to see the feed actually show up. Such a pain in the tushie!
Twitter: NO
Instant Messaging: NO I have texting on my phone and that's plenty.

As for my e-mail, I am constantly unsubscribing from newsletters I don't want, sending unsolicited stuff to the junk mail and blocking it, etc. I don't subscribe to emails here on SCS. I don't subscribe to blogs because I don't want the emails. Instead, I use a blog list on my blog for the blogs I love. I make a valiant attempt to control what I see on FB so I don't get emails there either, but that is a losing cause.

I find that I have to have tight control on all the electronic communication...or else I'd spend WAY too much time on the computer. BTW, I can see SCS, Pinterest, and Facebook in about 30-45 minutes in the morning, and 20 in the evening. My email adds a bit of time. I don't HAVE to spend any more than that.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2015, 04:18 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't really pin that much, and only pin it if I'm going to use it in the near future. I don't go overboard on too many things ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2015, 04:38 PM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Okey doke. Thanks

I just feel like I hear people laughing about how much stuff they have pinned, that they never look at, but just keep pinning away! I have this vision of people having 5000 pins. I cant imagine scanning that-and I can scan pretty quickly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2015, 04:54 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just under 5000 pins. Mine are quite organized. I have some for crafting, home decor, diy organization and cooking. I do use them frequently. But if I had them all in 1 ir 2 folders it would be a nightmare. Organization is key imo. I think I gave around 100 boards/folders
I have email, but don't subscribe to too many newsletters.
I have facebook but don't gobthere daily.
I do not twitter, I'm not on instagram.
I do text, but again not a daily thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2015, 05:15 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

I love pinterest and I do go back to look at my pins. I try to keep them organized to wher eit will be easier for me to find what I am looking for.
There are only certain boards that I go to. As much as I like some blogs, I don't visit them in a daily basis.
I have facebook, but don't spend much time there, except for a crafting board that I joined.
I don't twitter or do instagram.
I don't text much at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2015, 05:58 PM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Diane, I just looked at your boards. You are ORGANIZED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2015, 09:50 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Yes, I do look at my Pinterest. I looked at my boards several times today. I have the Pinterest app for my iPad so I can have my Pinterest on the go. For example, I use it too look up home design ideas I pinned. I use it to reference my dolls I collect. Pinterest for me is not about Social it's my online Smash Book and reference tool. I am the girl that would carry two hundred pictures in my phone for things I needed to reference. Pinterest has been a huge help to me.

Like Diane my boards are really organized. I keep my boards small so I don't have to scroll looking for something. I maintain my boards. Also like Diane I only follow what I am interested in.

Social Media- I don't Facebook, I don't Tweet. I do like Instagram but I just like browsing it as an art gallery. I do enjoy watching You Tube videos. I love Flickr. E-mail is still huge for me. I mainly subscribe to frugality newsletters. When I set down at night I give myself an hour to do my e-mail, check my calender, look at my blog feeds for the small amount of blogs I follow, peek at Pinterest, bookmark YouTube videos from people who I follow, read the news & read my celebrity gossip site. Then if I have time I come over here. My curl up time at my computer I play games & look at Pinterest boards I bookmarked, read blogs or watch You Tube videos.

Hope that helps.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2015, 02:00 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

The absolute key to Pinterest, as a couple of posters have said, is to keep your boards a manageable size- when I hit around 200 pins on a board, I start a new one- and only Pin & Follow what really interests you. I do use my boards, mainly for inspiration for card making. I pin cards whose colours or design interest me. I think its better to follow peoples boards, rather than the people themselves.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2015, 05:55 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 520 Likes on 234 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Pinterest for me is not about Social it's my online Smash Book and reference tool.
Exactly!

I don't think I quite understand how Pinterest got lumped into "social" media. Unless people start collecting followers like they do on Facebook.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2015, 09:27 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I lost all my card ideas in a computer crash. I have spent hours and hours searching...trying to find some of my favorites. During the hunt...I have pinned new ones and I am now saving any idea I like for the future to Pinterest. If my computer ever crashes again...I have them saved.

Cat

http://catricks-creations.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2015, 09:38 AM   #13  
Glitter Queen

My single most often-referenced board on Pinterest is my card board. When I'm in a creative slump (always) or have limited time (always) I will pull up my card board on my phone and have it right on my desk as I'm crafting.

I also use my recipe board quite frequently. It is how my friends and I share tried-and-true recipes.

Don't let it overwhelm you. Use it if it makes your life easier and don't if it won't. I refuse to jump on the social media bandwagon.

Twitter? NOPE
Instawhatever? NOPE
Facebook? BARELY
Email? Hardly ever because its mostly company spam anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2015, 10:01 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts

I pin cards and recipes. Yes I have made cards from my pinned list. If I copied I gave credit. But mostly I pin for a layout, stamps that I have, stamps that I want, or any card that appeals to me.

Now for my recipe board I have 663 of yummy stuff to make. In my tried board I have 110 recipes that I tried and like, which I put in my recipe box.

So yes, I use "sometimes" what I pin. It is fun but I am not obsessed with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2015, 04:07 PM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

I get the idea...it's meant to be like a photo bank right? And there is something to be said for outside one's computer so you dont lose it. You guys feel safe putting personal pics in there or just stuff like card ideas, etc.?

I am glad to hear I am not the only one not doing all that social stuff. I forgot about Instagram (same as IM?) and Flickr. I dont even know what Flickr is but I have heard of it. I brought them up mostly to say I dont know how people have time to review their pins if they are doing all that other stuff too.

Diane-I want to say that I have this sense that Pinning has gotten swept up into social media...like maybe people following other people's boards? But isnt that the same thing as following a blog for example? You are following what another person is doing on some level. I see sites promoting the idea of pinning their stuff-as if they get a credit for it or something? (Not that that's bad) Sorry. That's how ignorant I am.

I get the idea of following family or a friend though.

I'm still pretty new to the card world but it does feel like if a person (not me) wanted to get "out there" as designer or DT, or whatever, you need to be doing all these things.

The whole thing scares me actually. After watching the documentary Terms and Conditions May Apply...the last thing I want to do is put anything on FB. BTW I recommend it.

Well I am still wrestling with the photo programs in my computer-apparently there are two and I cant find one of them most of the time! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2015, 05:58 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 34 Likes on 7 Posts

I really like my Pinterest and go to my boards quite often to check something out or to get inspiration. Having said that I am not a technical type of person. I don't facebook, tweet or instagram....heck I don't even have a cell phone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2015, 07:30 PM   #17  
Glitter Queen

I do pin card ideas that I like. Especially when I find card ideas to go with a specific stamp or die. I will look at these and then spinoff from there. I also like pinning for recipes. If I think I'll use a recipe I will pin it. I also will share these penned ideas with friends when I'm working. We have found them very useful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2015, 10:22 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I get the idea...it's meant to be like a photo bank right? And there is something to be said for outside one's computer so you dont lose it. You guys feel safe putting personal pics in there or just stuff like card ideas, etc.?
I know some Pinners do use Pinterest as a photo bank. I use it more like an online catalog. You know how you look through catalogs or magazines and cut things out you like and save them to your inspiration books or bulletin boards. That is how I use Pinterest. I don't post personal photos on Pinterest. I think about posting my creations at Pinterest because I do use it as a reference tool.

Following people on Pinterest- It's not really the same as blog following. Pinterest is visual your not really reading a post. I treat it like how I read my news every day. I look at what interests me. For example I follow a girl who has a beautiful board for nail art. She is up on all the nail art trends. This board is informative to me. It's better than getting a nail art magazine. I follow her. I am very selective about who I follow. To me it is like subscribing to a magazine. I also treat the blogs I follow that way too.

Hope that helps.

MrsNoofy- I laughed about not having a cell phone. I have one for emergencies. My loved ones need to tell me something they text me. I still have a precious Blackberry. I just bought another one recently. I can text on it when I need too. I am not a big texter either. I rather send smoke signals that talk on the phone. My friends tease me I have a fancy shopping list because that's what I use my phone for.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2015, 05:31 AM   #19  
Proud Fan Club Member

Ah ok. Thanks DeeAnn. That makes sense to me too. Instead of a mag. Lord knows I have cut off all mags except two because we just dont read them.

Oh-the cell "leash" as I call it. I lived just fine w/o one for many decades. I forget to carry it half the time. It is handy once in awhile if I am in a store and have to ask a Q. I have to remember to charge it all the time too-I guess in my brain if I am not using it, it shouldnt need it but there you go. Why 7 yr olds have them though is past me. But now there are no public phones anymore so they are more necessary. No more dimes in my penny loafers in case I need to make an emergency call!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2015, 12:48 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Ah ok. Thanks DeeAnn. That makes sense to me too. Instead of a mag. Lord knows I have cut off all mags except two because we just dont read them.

Oh-the cell "leash" as I call it. I lived just fine w/o one for many decades. I forget to carry it half the time. It is handy once in awhile if I am in a store and have to ask a Q. I have to remember to charge it all the time too-I guess in my brain if I am not using it, it shouldnt need it but there you go. Why 7 yr olds have them though is past me. But now there are no public phones anymore so they are more necessary. No more dimes in my penny loafers in case I need to make an emergency call!
Penny loafers and dimes? We are both oooold, Wavejumper. I am the same way with the little pay-as-you-go cell phone I have. I use it so seldom that I've accumulated thousands of minutes! And like you, I forget to charge it half the time.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2015, 07:12 PM   #21  
Proud Fan Club Member

Not so old that I dont love me some Thor! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes