Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-09-2010, 04:58 PM   #41  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just used some of these for the first time. The only comment I would make is for those of you who think you won't need a stamp-a-ma-jig - think again. I used the saleabration set with the houses, roofs and trees. Because I was using a clear block I forgot about the excess rubber around the image and was assuming the bottom of the rubber was the bottom of the image when in fact it wasn't. So it will still depend on how closely you and/or your demo trims - if at all - and you will still need to either remember to allow for that extra rubber or use your stamp-a-ma-jig for placement. I had roofs with quite a gap between the house and the roof - a little airy!! But the images were clear and as always the quality was great.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2010, 11:14 PM   #42  
Crimping Master

Are we sure the stamps will work on blocks not made by SU?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2010, 11:33 PM   #43  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MomofonesonView Post
I don't really care what SU calls them but I will say this, their blocks are way too expensive. Look around. You can find clear blocks much cheaper and I love SU stuff.
I thought their clear blocks were quite expensive too -and some of the sizes were very unusual - that you would need for some of the new sets.

It would cost in Canada $100.00 plus shipping , taxes etc etc for the set of blocks. I just bought the wood stamp sets for now.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 04:59 AM   #44  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used mine for the first time yesterday and really liked them. The blocks may be a bit pricey but they are comfortable and worth the money. I bought the bundle so it did save me a bit. I will definately order anything new in clear mount going forward.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 06:51 AM   #45  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by debzi333View Post
I thought their clear blocks were quite expensive too -and some of the sizes were very unusual - that you would need for some of the new sets.

It would cost in Canada $100.00 plus shipping , taxes etc etc for the set of blocks. I just bought the wood stamp sets for now.
You actually only "need" one block that is at least as big as your largest stamp. It is a little easier to stamp with a block that is just a little larger than the stamp that you are using.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 07:32 AM   #46  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrs_hawkinsView Post
They are trying to distinguish between the mount of the stamp. Clear mount vs. wood mount. And since SU! has always been referred to as wood mounted I think it just makes sense to call the new format clear mount.
I agree that they are trying to distinguish, but the way they do it makes the buyer believe that they are getting the clear mount too.

You don't have to use a clear mount with cling, I have used a cling mounted stamp on wood stamps before (the side where the index sticker was applied). Cling stamps really stick to lots of surfaces not just clear mounts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 07:44 AM   #47  
Matboard Maniac

I just received my SU order on Friday and have been using my stamps all weekend.

While I love the storage aspect of the clear stamps, I cannot seem to get them to cling to the acrylic blocks well.

The stickiness isn't right. They also don't stick well to the inside of the case and then all fall down off the case and sit in the bottom.

Now, I am not using SU blocks, so maybe their blocks have some kind of different treatment that when combined with the backing of the SU clear stamp, makes them stickier then using other name brand blocks.

I love the idea of the rubber stamp on the clear blocks though. I don't like using regular clear on clear because I never get a crisp stamp using clear stamps. I have the best results with SU stamps.

Is anyone else having a "stickiness" problem with their stamps onto the blocks whether using SU blocks or another type?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 08:11 AM   #48  
Glitter Guru

You have to press the stamp to the block (or case) very firmly, more firmly than you think. Also, press for a few seconds, don't just slap the stamp on there.

I've seen posts where people had stickiness problems at first, but after following suggestions to press HARD and for a few seconds, came back and reported success.

Additionally, some people find that the stamps are clinging better without the index labels. I think this may have something to do with the way the labels are being applied as much as anything. If you touch the label a lot while trying to get it centered, and/or apply> remove> recenter> reapply a couple times, that may make the label less sticky.

I prefer not to apply any labels that come with clingstamps, whatever the brand. Unless I get it centered perfectly over the image on the other side of the stamp (not likely to happen, frankly), the label leads me to believe I know where the image is going to hit the paper. If the label is off, the image will be off. I'd rather wing it, and use a SAMJ if placement is critical, than deal with off-centered labels.

If you're good at applying labels, go for it. If you'd rather not bother, then (IMO) you're going to get pretty good placement just looking through the clear block, and there's always the SAMJ for those times when you want perfect placement.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 09:04 AM   #49  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I love the cheaper price of their clear mount sets and the smaller storage space! I have 28 SU's wood block sets and I can already tell-after less than a year of stamping-that storage can become a problem. I've got a few sets of clear stamps and they're OK, but not my favorite.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #50  
Pearl-ExPert

I didn't put the labels on mine either. I saved them, but decided that for now it is just as easy without them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2010, 12:15 AM   #51  
Pearl-ExPert

I stumbled upon these acrylic blocks called YOYOs...They are absolutely fantastic!...come in a variety of sizes too....

Michelle

Quote:

Last edited by shellpole; 10-20-2010 at 03:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2010, 07:40 AM   #52  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

I wish we lived closer ... we could share!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2010, 08:42 AM   #53  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BethshayaView Post
I just received my SU order on Friday and have been using my stamps all weekend.

While I love the storage aspect of the clear stamps, I cannot seem to get them to cling to the acrylic blocks well.

The stickiness isn't right. They also don't stick well to the inside of the case and then all fall down off the case and sit in the bottom.

Now, I am not using SU blocks, so maybe their blocks have some kind of different treatment that when combined with the backing of the SU clear stamp, makes them stickier then using other name brand blocks.

I love the idea of the rubber stamp on the clear blocks though. I don't like using regular clear on clear because I never get a crisp stamp using clear stamps. I have the best results with SU stamps.

Is anyone else having a "stickiness" problem with their stamps onto the blocks whether using SU blocks or another type?
I did apply the labels. It is just easier for me to know the image or words that I am using when I turn it over.
I mounted two SU sets yesterday, and used them for the first time. I did not have any trouble with the stamps clinging to the block. In fact, I used versamark, which tends to be sticky, but it stuck just fine.
I do, however, have problems with it not sticking inside the case. Some do, and some don't. Maybe it has to do with touching it too much. I don't know. I definitely pushed down hard.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2010, 06:15 PM   #54  
Hardware Hotshot

Oh, my!!! I just got my first two sets from a wonderful company that just sells unmounted rubber. They are just the sweetest, most wonderful sets but I think I may need my wood blocks!!! There are so many tiny sentiments and they just look like they could get lost. I'm realizing now I love my wood mounts even more than I thought. Putting on and taking off those teeny, tiny images and sentiments seems like it would drive me crazy...maybe I'll get use to it.

I thought I'd never buy another wood mount from SU once they start offering a big assortment of UM or Clear mounts. I just figured I'd want to save $$$, even tho I love wood mounted stamps...hmmmm. Just quite surprised.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2010, 02:16 AM   #55  
Pearl-ExPert

Company name please....I am always on the lookout for little stamps...especially those which would fit inside punched shapes!

Cheers,
Michelle

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
Oh, my!!! I just got my first two sets from a wonderful company that just sells unmounted rubber. They are just the sweetest, most wonderful sets but I think I may need my wood blocks!!! There are so many tiny sentiments and they just look like they could get lost. I'm realizing now I love my wood mounts even more than I thought. Putting on and taking off those teeny, tiny images and sentiments seems like it would drive me crazy...maybe I'll get use to it.

I thought I'd never buy another wood mount from SU once they start offering a big assortment of UM or Clear mounts. I just figured I'd want to save $$$, even tho I love wood mounted stamps...hmmmm. Just quite surprised.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2010, 03:20 PM   #56  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well, I'm another one chiming in to say how EXCITED I am that SU is offering an unmounted option - FINALLY! I love SU's stamps but didn't look forward to getting new stamps as I'd have to remount them on EZ mount. I especially love that the sets will come with cases and stickers for each stamp. I won't be able to order my first "clear mounted" set until next month but I am certainly excited that SU is offering the option from now on!

My growing gallery!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2010, 06:45 AM   #57  
Crimping Master

Now I wish I had read this post earlier. I just got my SU cling mounted stamps and attached the image stickers. I have never used cling mounted before. I did notice that I really had to press hard to get a good attachment to my acrylic block. I will have to test using VersaMark because stamps tend to stick to the paper more with that ink. I also noticed that I can't get them to cling at all inside the DVD-like cases. I'm not too worried about that since they are sealed closed. On another note, my Vintage Labels were cut off-center from the images by the die cutting machine. It got as close as you can get to cutting the images themselves. I was dissapointed to see that. It seems to reflect a lack of quality control in my eyes. Anyway...

Based on my experience, I think next time I WON'T apply the stickers.

Since I did, is there anything that I can do to help them be "stickier"? Any recommendations on how to clean the acrylic blocks? I don't know if SU has any support on their website relating to these new style stamps.

Thanks in advance for helping me with my questions.
Carrie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2010, 08:10 AM   #58  
Stampin' Fool

Here is my 2 cents on clear mount, wood mount and acrylic. Wood mount is great for the fact that I can just pull out my stamp and use it immediately. The downfall of course is placement and storage.

Clear mount is great for the fact that it comes with cushion and the storage fact makes up for having to pull out my acrylic blocks.

As for Acrylic / Photopolymer stamps you have to be careful who you buy from. Stamps that are manufactured in places such as China sometimes are made from silicone as it is a cheaper material and looks just like acrylic. However; silicone is made to repel water and therefore you get a terrible stamped image. Make sure when you are buying from a company that you ask them where there stamps are manufactured.

Another thing about the acrylic clear stamps that most people don't know is that you do need some cushion under them when you are stamping to get a clear image. You can use a rubber mat or the backside of the cutting mat that SU or CTMH sells. If you look at CTMH sets you will notice they come with a small piece of foam which you can use as cushion as well.

Here is my list of some of my favourite clear acrylic stamp places. If I have forgotten anybody so sorry! Please feel free to add to this list!

Totally Stampalicious!

My Favourite Things!

Hanna Stamps! (I believe you can still purchase some of these from Simon Says Stamp as unfortunately Hanna Stamps is no longer in business :(

Inkadinkadoo!

Penny Black!

Crafty Secrets!
Totally Stampalicious!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2010, 08:16 AM   #59  
Stampin' Fool

Oh, as far as making your clear mount stamps a little stickier try puffing on them with your warm breath. I find that this sometimes helps.
Totally Stampalicious!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2010, 08:26 AM   #60  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindy55View Post
I just used some of these for the first time. The only comment I would make is for those of you who think you won't need a stamp-a-ma-jig - think again. I used the saleabration set with the houses, roofs and trees. Because I was using a clear block I forgot about the excess rubber around the image and was assuming the bottom of the rubber was the bottom of the image when in fact it wasn't. So it will still depend on how closely you and/or your demo trims - if at all - and you will still need to either remember to allow for that extra rubber or use your stamp-a-ma-jig for placement. I had roofs with quite a gap between the house and the roof - a little airy!! But the images were clear and as always the quality was great.
Shoot. I knew it. Now I wish I'd gotten the SAB set I chose in WM instead of clear mount. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2010, 09:11 AM   #61  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love the new clear mount...I have the stickers on mine and I am experincing no sticky problems at all. Love Love Love this new option.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 06:56 PM   #62  
Polyshrink Goddess

Has anyone heard this? Some are having problems with the new clear/cling stamps from SU! Cleaning the stamp and keeping it onto the clear block when stamping.. Any ideas to help out here?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 07:02 PM   #63  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by catlayView Post
Has anyone heard this? Some are having problems with the new clear/cling stamps from SU! Cleaning the stamp and keeping it onto the clear block when stamping.. Any ideas to help out here?
Try giving them a quick puff of your warm breath. Sometimes they just need that bit of moisture to help them stick.
Totally Stampalicious!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 04:50 AM   #64  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

Quote:

Originally Posted by catlayView Post
I had a stamp not stick yesterday at my open house, but it was because the block needed a little cleaning. Once I cleaned the block off it stuck wonderfully! Also one of my gals had trouble because she would set the stamp on the block and not give it a firm push. As long as we set the stamp rubber down and pressed the block into it for a few seconds we had no problems.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2010, 08:20 AM   #65  
Kookie Creator

I'm glad that SU! is providing both options. My wallet is glad, too. I will definitely be trying these new unmounted rubber stamps with my own acrylic blocks.

Regarding clear stamps, I used to have trouble them to the point that I was ready to head to the trash bin. Then I read somewhere on SCS that Versafine ink works well with clear stamps. I tried the Versafine Black Onyx ink and now I use all my clear stamps (even the cheapies!!) with great results.:-D
Reply With Quote Likes