Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-13-2011, 01:20 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Do you experience poor selection or no stocked product at Michaels & Hobby Lobby?

My nearest brick-and-mortar craft stores are 40 miles away, so I do almost all of my craft shopping online. Today was a rare occasion when my DH was going to be in that area, so I sent him off armed with coupons for Michaels & Hobby Lobby. From previous experience, I knew better than to get my heart set on any one product or any particular style or color of anything, because if I did it most certainly would not be in stock.

Today I was wanting to add a new color to my supply of Distress Ink pads if I could. I'd hoped to maybe-just-maybe be able to pick up either Tattered Rose or Scattered Straw, but of course neither of these were in stock at Michaels. I was able to select a different color that I didn't have from among the few colors that were in stock, though.

Then I hoped that maybe-just-maybe I'd have better luck with Hobby Lobby, only to discover I was to have no luck at all, lol. Hobby Lobby didn't have even one single Distress Ink pad in stock of ANY color. Nada. Zilch. I wonder if they are going to stop carrying them?

I think even if these craft stores were closer, I'd almost never go to them unless I was just "window shopping/browsing" or looking to perhaps make an "impulse" purchase.

So what's your experience with selection at these big box craft stores like?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am fortunate to have found two stamp stores I love, love, love- one is about 30 minutes away, the other about 45, so I have been less inclined to go to Michaels. When I go in there, though, it always feels the same, there are hardly any new items, and there are many, many empty baskets and pegs. I do love Hobby Lobby, though, because we don't have one here, and it is a novelty to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2011, 03:05 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm having that experience at my local AC Moore lately. No selection in Nestabilities, same original Cuttlebug folders, about 3 Sizzix dies. DSP selection has gone downhill. It's actually been hard to find something to buy there lately.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

We have Michaels and Joann's here, and I rarely buy anything at them. Occasionally I'll buy ribbon at Michael's, but that's pretty much all I'm interested in there. Our Joann's has a very small paper crafting department, so the only things I buy there are my adhesive (they do carry my favorite kind) and scrapbooks. But they don't sell nestabilities, or any Cuttlebug folders other than the first few that came out.

We have a good local scrapbook store, that sells all the lastest Nestabilities and cuttlebug folders, plus they sell all the ink brands I like, such as Tim Holz, Memento, and Vivid. They only problem is, no coupons and not very many sales. But I try to give them business when I can because they're local and they have some great people working for them.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2011, 03:34 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I've stopped going to JoAnn's because it always has the same old stock. There are 2 Michael's in the area...one has the same old stuff. The other one is newer and seems to have a better selection but not by much. But honestly, I decided that having a coupon is not enough justification to go to these stores. I'm trying to use what I have. If I need adhesive, I order online and get the cheapest price by going in with my friends on the order. I also prefer to use SU or CTMH papers as they are easier to match.

I find that I prefer to go to card-making sessions at our 2 local, independently owned stores. I like the people and have a good time. The cost is usually $12 and I like the comraderie. Like the previous poster mentioned, these stores don't have coupons and few sales, but I feel they give me more back..in friendship, creative support and support to my community. I guess those things are worth more to me than 40% off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2011, 03:53 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Michael's is 5 minutes from my house. I'm there all the time and I find that their selection for Tim Holtz Products is not great. They have a few distress inks, some of his other products, but nothing new. I also have an AC Moore and Joann's 10 minutes away. I usually end up ordering on line because I just can't find the products I'm looking for in these stores. JoAnn's on line is much better than the actual store as far as supplies is concerned. AC Moore has limited stamping supplies. I rarely get stamping things like ink for example there. They do have a good supply of Cuttlebug and Sizzix products though. You would think with 3 stores so close by that I wouldn't have to order on line.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2011, 05:43 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tonight I ran to J's, M's and HL looking for a spiderweb embossing folder. Didn't find one, but was surprised by J's lots of "new" product. Loads of Tim Holtz sizzix, vagabond, stamps. New sizzix dies. M's some new product including copics, but nothing that tempted me even with a coupon. HL, well now, that was a different story. Lots of 'new' products. Plus they now have their own line of embossing folders. They were only $4.95 and were basic styles. Wonder if anyone has tried them. I'm noting here in my town the trend is to sell several embossing folders together for around $20. So, I am always hopeful that I can support brick and mortar stores but usually buy online.
Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2011, 11:04 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've been happier with our Michael's store because I've noticed them stocking more stamping items. There's a lot of clear stamps and stamp pads/reinkers. I also found smooch accent inks and more Tim Holtz items (dies, inks, stamps, etc.). It's definitely improving.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 02:47 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I live in a city with 2 Hobby Lobby's, 1 JoAnn's, 1 Michael's. I can say I have all of these stores memorized. I get so excited when they put out something new. It doesn't happen a lot. My Michael's hardly puts out anything new. DH & I are loyal to it. I know this because Michael's sent us a Gold Reward card, ROFL!

I have been ordering online a lot lately so I can have something new and unusual in.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 05:53 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a local Hobby Lobby store about 10 minutes from my house. I love that I can print 40% off coupons most weeks to buy items. Also, I think their selection is pretty good. I still order online to supplement colors or items they don't carry. But all in all, I'm thankful that they're close by.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 06:19 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

All of our LSS closed last year, but we have a J's, M's, and HL. J's gets some new stuff in pretty regularly like new punches, TH stuff, etc. M's really stepped up their stamp section and TH stuff, but not much else and HL has blown me away this week! I think after the 4 trips I made this past week I spent around $200. Yikes. They had all kinds of new paper packs, 6x6 pads, Spellbinders, and Sizzix. The paper was 50% off last week so I think I bought one of each of the new stuff. It was all pretty recent lines that I wanted but hadn't seen in person and didn't want to buy online without touching and looking at it first.

It was pretty crazy to see that all the "popular" stuff right now (or at least things that I'm really into and buying) just suddenly appeared in HL as if they've actually started paying attention to what's hot in sbing. The buyer must be a scrapbooker!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 07:57 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

We have both a Michael's and a Joann's. I hardly ever visit either because they usually don't have what I want. Mostly I go to Michaels for cake decorating items and the occasional ink pad or cuttlebug plate. I visit Joann's for ink pads or fabric. We have a wonderful Local stamp store, I visit there quite frequently. They sell everything and have a wonderful selection of the latest and greatest, both stamps and papers. They have tons of inks. The owner is obsessed with Tim Holtz so they have all his stuff (im not a fan). They started carrying copics recently too but I still buy mine online because I see too many people "testing" them. If I am paying that much for a pen I want a virgin one! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 08:23 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've noticed in the one Michaels closest to my house that they have quite a lot of new stamping stuff, but, unfortunately, they've pared down the actual stamps. Looks like only about 1/4 of the original space now is dedicated to actual stamps. They seem to be replacing the brand name stuff with their own line of Recollections brand items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 08:40 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Yes, at Micheal's for my ATG refill anyway. I went in four times before they finally had the refills. I gave out my and number on the second and third try. Only got a call after the second request. They counted 36 actual guns in a case and they said they only stock 6 (2-pack) refills at a time. They said they automatically order when they run out but they don't. I had to wait two months. I'm sure others were getting them as those 6 come in. HOw stupid is that? If they are continually sold out you'd think they buy a case of them??????

I do like to get ad-tech snails at HL and Glue Dot brand sticky dots with a 40% coupon. Every little bit helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 10:54 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by klpt58View Post
Tonight I ran to J's, M's and HL looking for a spiderweb embossing folder. Didn't find one, but was surprised by J's lots of "new" product. Loads of Tim Holtz sizzix, vagabond, stamps. New sizzix dies. M's some new product including copics, but nothing that tempted me even with a coupon. HL, well now, that was a different story. Lots of 'new' products. Plus they now have their own line of embossing folders. They were only $4.95 and were basic styles. Wonder if anyone has tried them. I'm noting here in my town the trend is to sell several embossing folders together for around $20. So, I am always hopeful that I can support brick and mortar stores but usually buy online.
Kathy
My Jo Anns had the Tim Holtz stuff too. They also had these great Sizzix combo packs. They were Christmas dies with 2-4 embossing folders. (Got one, may go back.) Every time I go now i am surprised to see something new. But it is usually new to them, not the crafting community.

On the whole, most stores are reducing their on-hand inventories. This means when they do sell out, they have to wait for restock. It's not like it was when if they were out on the shelf, you might find a box of overstock on the top shelf an employee could check. And unlike grocery stores, the craft stores do not get fill ins everyday or two. In fact, I would guess they are keeping their warehouses pretty lean, too, judging from what we see in the stores.

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

As far as the Distress Inks, I finally got all of them on JoAnn's online store when they had them on sale with free shipping. Not quite as good as 40% off of each one but no one seems to carry all the colors anyway. Now I have all of them and I don't have to spend my time searching everywhere for each one of them. Too frustrating.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 05:06 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

I feel your pain. I have a Michaels nearby but they normally don't have most of the stuff I want. I love the distress inks, and had a hard time compiling them, as Michaels had a few of them, but not all of them. I got them in a small stamp store and had them order the reinkers for me (I didn't want to have to deal with having a dry pad in the future..). Now, I wanted the original set of distress stains...I just went to the stamp store..my Mikes didn't have any of them yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 05:37 PM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

I'm so fortunate: I have a small Joann's and a brand new Michael's 5 minutes from my house. There are 2 Hobby Lobby's about 10 and 20 minutes away and an Archiver's is literally across the street from one HL and a brand new Super Joann's that is unbelieveable. I try to do a 'rounder' shopping to make all of them at least once a month with all my coupons. And then there's the always-present SU orders...one day I hope to use all my 'stuff!' In the meantime, I'm exceptionally fortunate to have all these places to shop.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2011, 02:25 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

I'm in my closest (of 3) Hobby Lobby once or twice a week, and usually chat for a minute with the lady who works in the scrapping section. Last week she was reorganizing, and said they are getting in LOTS more Tim Holtz product. She said they weren't discontinuing anything to make room, just moving the other products closer together, which they should be able to do without too much problem.

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2011, 06:44 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

I love my Hobby Lobby and generally find what I am looking for with the exception of new out in the market items. HL Copic selection is poor and the markers have all been played with.

Micheals is not worth my time even with a coupon.

I have a nice Joanns and the staff is very friendly.

The only scrapbook store left in town is advertising new CHA items and have decided to sell Copics. It is under management and I am excited!

Bonnie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2011, 07:46 AM   #21  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am in Canada and the Micheals prices are just ridiculous even with a coupon. I try not to buy anything there if possible. Also they are so behind the time with new product that I have seen and purchased new stuff online before M's gets it in. I have a couple of great online sources in the US and get a few friends together to help with shipping and put in rather large orders to them. Mostly I deal with Oregon so that saves us taxes and so far, knock on wood, we miss duty as well. My only frustration is that I cannot see the new stuff IRL so often I will pass on new papers as I have bought in the past and not been happy with the pattern site unseen.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2011, 08:37 AM   #22  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Our Michaels has a lot more stock, Than it use too. I think cause some of us scrappers and stampers have chewed off the ear of the Manager
I have 4 mike's near me.

Now for our Hobby Lobby stores. I have 3 near me. In many of the items near me. The stores will only carry one or two items. So if I purchase those two items. Then someone else want one. They have to wait til the next shipment. Which is from Tuesday to Tuesday.

To me that's not Right. They should carry more. But you can't get them to understand that.

And that why I told them that most of us buy online. Cause they don't have it in stock we will go looking else where for it!

And for our Joanne's (2 near me) They have a pretty good selection of stuff.

Bottom line is I don't go to Hobby Lobby as much cause they don't have much stock!

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2011, 05:52 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

I shop Michaels, Joanns and Hobby Lobby for things like glue dots, tape, ink, cardstock, etc. when I have coupons. I shop Archivers and a LSS for DSP.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2011, 04:39 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

I, too, have noticed that the stamp section in Michael's has been cut down significantly. Less than a 3rd left, I'd say. They seem to rarely have anything new - although mine seems to have the 'staples' most of the time. HL is hit or miss, always has been. J's? Well, I've tried to get several sets of nesties @ the store (you know, pick the card & take it to the register) and it was a disaster every *single* time. Three times I took a card up & paid for the nestie (the line was awful). Three times they were OUT of that one... oh, and did I want them to look for another? OY. You'd think I would've learned the first time! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Michaels is like Zellers . . . . It's my last ditch, I can't find it anywhere else, desperation destination. I never feel good when I leave that store, so I just don't go there. Like others have said, the Canadian stores are stupidly over priced and lately the coupons have been a joke. Anything I'd use the coupon for is already on sale, for a lesser amount than the coupon is worth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2011, 09:18 PM   #26  
Inking Addict

I find that my Michaels doesn't really carry a lot of what I like most of the time. They haven't gotten any new sets or whole collections for quite a bit. My Michaels recently started carrying some more Tim Holtz stuff, but now a whole lot. Hobby Lobby carries a tiny bit more TH items but they seem to carry a lot more of the cheap brands of things like The Paper Company or Recollections. I wish that our Joann's was bigger because they always get the new DCWV stuff in and have a whole collection of K&Co. supplies, but what they carry is severely limited due to space. I've gotten most of my TH stuff through the net but right now I really need to stop buying so much stuff cause I've run out of room. Well I'm always running out of room, but this time I can't reorganize it to get more space.
Reply With Quote Likes