Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do you ever destash to stash up on new stuff?

So recently I destashed some of my stuff that was I just wasn't using anymore and made some money. I like to do this when I want to buy a ton of new stuff. And this year has been the year of wonderful paper,stamps and embellishments coming out. So after I destashed I bought a ton of new stuff with that money. Do any of you ever do that? Do you feel bad about spending it? My logic is that it's not "new"money. So what's your stand on this?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

No, I can't say that I destash by selling my old stuff so I can buy new stuff. I destash by using things I have rediscovered in my stash. Don't get me wrong, I am still getting and spending tons (or so my DH believes) on new stuff, I just trying to use the old as fast as I can. Amazing how buying is faster than using!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't do it nearly as much as I should. Actually, I never did it until the last year or so. Then I realized how many stamps weren't getting ink or embellishments that I haven't touched in over a year. For me, I've realized that my style has changed over time and the stickers and eyelets that I thought were the coolest 5 years ago would never make it on a card or a scrapbook page that I make now. So, I'd rather they go to someone who would use them and then if I can get money for them, that is awesome! I know I'm going to spend money on the new cute stuff that comes out, so I feel like I can buy what I want guilt free if I spend the money that I made selling off old stuff. Its like trading out my old for the new! And besides, someone is getting a great deal on something they may love.

Now I just have to talk myself through this with my old ink pads and markers before my big scrappy garage sale I'm holding in a couple of weeks. I haven't touched the pads in over a year but I can't bring myself to let them go because the colors are so pretty! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I wish I destashed. I just stash. Or it seams that way. I do on occasion go through and purge items. I don't often sell them 'cause that's more work. Heck, I already have a day job. I prefer to donate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I de-stash so I can add more to the stash! LOL My local pre-school loves it!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

I keep everything these days! I sold those old Creative Memories templates on E-Bay (the hearts, circles, etc.) years ago and now with Mixed Media art, I could be using them all the time! I have basically bought them again! LOL. Just one of my selling regrets.
SCS Member #772
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I "think" I've destashed for the last time! I said that a few months ago though, and then recently went through it all again, and gathered up some items for a yard sale at a store, and really got *tough.* ;)

I'm not sure how much more I could destash at this point - getting down to the basics really.

And sometimes I do destash to add back in - but I always try to add back in less than I took out.

(The art teacher also appreciates my purges, Karen!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2012, 12:40 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

I also like to destash by using up what I have. It's taken me a long time to build up my stampin' stuff and it's a new and weird feeling to think about getting rid of any of it.

I recently went through my stamps for a huge local rummage sale and I was going to put up a table of stuff at my church. Never got around to it and now I'm pulling a few sets of of the sale box. I'm actually going to us a set I was going to sell for my Christmas cards.

I want new Stampin' Up stuff from the new catalog and for the first time I feel I need to unload some stamps before buying new sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2012, 03:24 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Absolutely!! Sometimes it's the only way I can afford to buy anything new. If I can sell off old stuff that I don't use and earn enough money to buy some new stuff that is the BEST!! I can't really take up more space with my crafty stuff than I already do so "de-stashing" is also necessary in that regard before I can buy more.
If something doesn't sell but it's been pulled out of my stash I usually ask a crafty friend if she wants it or will even donate to the art teacher or Goodwill just to keep it from going back in a drawer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2012, 07:35 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yes...my friends love it when I need to make room...lol. I give away so much stuff and you would not know a thing was missing if you went into my room.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,063 Likes on 818 Posts

I de-stash via FreeCycle because I just wouldn't have the energy to try to sell stuff . Both the selling options and the market here are probably more limited, in any case.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I have started to de-stash by selling my stuff at my LSS's garage sale every year! It's a great way to clean up and make room for all of those new collections and stamps I want!! I find that if a paper is more than 2 years old, or it's a really old stamp set I WON'T use it.. (there are some exceptions, but I guess this means I'm a trendy stamper.. who knew???)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #13  
Forum Fanatic

I try to destash every six months. Twelve months at max. I have a terrible time keeping control when I see new pretty stuff. And if it sparkles, it's mine. LOL. I have tons of ribbon and paper and oh and ah over new ones so I have to let stuff go so I can buy more. Such a crazy addiction. ;)
Facebook: Got Joy Creations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2012, 12:00 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

No, I tend to give it all away. I have decided to sell some of my items. I feel a little guilty over it because I am famed in my group for giving things away. I order online a lot now and would like some extra cash in my online account for fun crafting money.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2012, 12:17 AM   #15  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Yup...done this recently in fact, a few times! I go through what I have periodically...there are times I keep what i feel are must haves....then when I take a second look I am ok with being rid of it. I sold a fair amount of (su! Retired) ribbon and accessories recently for decent cash! I also purged my stamps and sold a lot of those....now I have empty space but I am ok with that....now I can buy more! I have at least 20 sets waiting for retirement and quite a bit of accessories. I know I should use the consumables...but it tends to just sit and accumulate when I don't use it....dsp is one or the hardest for me! I recently went through retired dsp...I pulled out and kept only the full sheets....the rest I sorted into scrap bags and will sell for cheap....If I need a full sheet for something at random I have that retired paper! It was actually quite liberating! Problem is I have quite a bit more retiring and I know when the new catalog comes and I start buying paper the other will stop being used....

Ok rambling here....yes, I do destash to stash. :-D I will be getting new su! Ink pads and am thinking my 6 year old is going to get my collection of older ones. Kiddos love the hand me downs! :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2012, 03:33 AM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I do an annual "destash" and use the $$ to buy more. I have a crafting garage sale and all the money that I earn I use to buy new treats. Anything that doesn't sell goes to my DIL school.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2012, 07:54 AM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

It's good to know I'm not the only one! I feel better selling perfectly good things that I just don't use them anymore to buy newer things I want. I sometimes donate to the local school or give some extra stuff to my 8 yo nephew. I don't destash because I have way too much stuff because I don't. I just don't like to keep things I have not used for a long time. Rather than it collecting dust, I would rather someone else that will use it, have it. And be able to buy new things as a bonus;) thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley QueenView Post
I wish I destashed. I just stash. Or it seams that way. I do on occasion go through and purge items. I don't often sell them 'cause that's more work. Heck, I already have a day job. I prefer to donate.
I am sooo with you!! I used to try to sell my stuff, but it really was a pia for me personally. I wouldn't make it to the post office on time, I had to go through many emails trying to keep track of who wants what. I also tried garage sales, but the stuff sits in my attic waiting for the season to start and stuff just piles up. I would rather donate it. Easier for me and I hope I make other people happy with stuff that I just don't use anymore.

As far as "destashing" to restash? I restash no matter what!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a major destashing at the end of last year/beginning of this year. I decided I was done with wood mounted stamp sets, and I was just tired of what I did have. So I sold off nearly 300 old SU stamp sets, along with tons of accessories like designer papers, ribbons, etc. I used the money that I made to selectively purchase new clear or cling rubber stamps from different companies. I've also found that I use small 6 X 6 paper packs way more than I do the 12 X 12 packs, so I purchased some new and sold some old. I also purchased a new Big Kick and dies from lots of companies.

The benefits were numerous...I freed up a lot of real estate in my craft room (those wood mounted sets were so bulky!), and I re-energized my crafting by trying new approaches with new companies. I embraced a less-is-more philosophy, and I have not regretted it once.

The best part? I came out even financially. Now, if I want something new, I do think about something old I can sell first. Mind you, this isn't a process I will be doing in such a large scale every year. But after twelve years of stamping, it was time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2012, 02:45 AM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

Ofcourse! Who doesn't?
Reply With Quote Likes