Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-07-2012, 04:12 AM   #41  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you go to Office Depot/Max they will cut up to a couple inches of cardstock in half - they charge by the cut and last time it was under a dollar.
I have had them cut the large packs of white or cream in half for me before and it works awesome. And I have worked with a private paper person who cut color sheets for me so that they were all ready for my Christmas cards as well.
Lately I have just been buying the 50 pack cards with envelopes from Michaels so have not been using cardstock for the actual card base, and they come cut and scored.
I like to have lots of colors pre-cut in half and ready for a card so I can grab them and use them. I store them in one of the photo boxex from Michaels. My full sheet 8 1/2 x 11 fits well into the tall sterilite containers with covers

The lesson from Charlie Brown: The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2012, 04:17 AM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by maslexView Post
I just bought about 8 packs of SU 8x11 cardstock.

First thing first...what's your favorite way to store your card stock? Does Michael's sell anything that is efficient?

And when you purchase a pack of 8x11 cardstock, do you just store it until you make a card or do you cut your cardstock into card base sizes and store them that way?

I'm thinking that if I took a full pack of cardstock and cut it all in half, then stored it away, whenever I would need a card base, it's all set and ready to go.

Does anyone do this or am I just over thinking things. LOL
I only buy 12x12 cardstock since I make 6x6 cards (or a little smaller) and I buy the large clear boxes from Michaels (when on sale or with a coupy) for each color of my card stock--it stores beautifully in my somewhat damp or dry basement studio. I would never precut-because you might need a larger piece for a different project!

www.quillingfancy.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2012, 04:41 AM   #43  
Rubber Obsessor

I do both. I make sure I have around 5 or 6 of that card stock color, cut, scored and set in a box of card bases. When I run low I make some more. But I usually leave the rest uncut until I need it in case I want to make a box or something that requires larger card stock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2012, 05:35 AM   #44  
Glitter Queen

I always have some cardstock pre-cut. I like to just grab a base and get "to work"! I don't store too many but after reading all the posts think I will store some quartered also .I just have to find some place for it. For some reason I don't store white card bases and I don't know why. I usually use colored SU paper for my bases and when I get a new package will just cut a few to have for a quick start. One thing I have learned in card making is that everyone has their own system and you just do what works for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2012, 05:50 AM   #45  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 254 Likes on 137 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
For storage, I also file my paper in hanging files, but I don't have room for a cabinet so I use three of these. I'm able to slide them under my worktables:

Neat Life Mesh Rolling File Cart with Drawers, Silver

The drawers come in very handy. I was using inexpensive black plastic file crates on the floor and that was working fine for a long while but I just got sick of having to get down on my hands and knees to get paper!

After reading Blueheron's post I realized that, in reality, if I cut a sheet in half for a regular card, I sometimes score and fold the other half so I have some card bases sitting around. But usually I file it in a special file I have of "ready to score and fold" paper. I won't put it in a scrap folder if it's a full half sheet. I guess I ought to file it in its proper color hanging file, but I'm usually just too lazy. Sometimes I remember to look through the half sheets before I cut into another, sometimes I don't. And sometimes I bemoan the fact that I have none of a color left and then "find" a half sheet of it in the half sheet file and celebrate my good luck.
If I have a half sheet left whether it is "hamburger" or "hotdog" I slide it in front of that color in my file, so I see that first. Sometimes I have to force myself to put it away in my haste to make a card, but I will surely over look it if I don't. Otherwise, I leave the sheet whole for the same reasons as others. I have my DH custom built file system. Top drawer is for 81/2 x 11 card stock and the bigger bottom drawer will hold 12 x12 and larger card stock and paper.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you cut all your cardstock ahead of time?-top-drawer.jpg   Do you cut all your cardstock ahead of time?-bottom-drawer.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2012, 05:53 AM   #46  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

I think I have millions of dollars tied up in those plastic magazine holders from Staples. My cardstock is stored according to colour family, every day and coverstock, and scraps (each colour) in page protectors in magazine holders on my work desk. I go there first then to full pages. I never pre-cut because as everyone else says..you just don't know what you will be making next!. SU paper is stored separately and in a cabinet because they fade so easily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2012, 06:07 AM   #47  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
I'll chime in so that blueheron isn't all lonesome on the "I cut some ahead of time" side!

I cut two sheets in half for card bases...one for each orientation...and score and fold them. If they are light colors, I might do more. In reality I usually use white card bases so these cut bases might last me a while.

Then I cut a couple of sheets into quarters. These get used for any of the odd sized layers I might be making.

Now, if I decide to make a card bigger than A2, then I just get a whole sheet from my supply.

All the cut paper, card bases, and scraps are then stored in my sterilite drawers by color groups. Bulk paper storage is below my desk.

I've attached a couple of pics for visual learners ;)
Wow! Your storage drawers are so organized. It really looks pretty too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2012, 06:13 AM   #48  
Rubber Obsessor

I bought a pack of white CS 8 1/2 x 11 specifically for card bases and I do cut this ahead of time. Most of my A2 size cards are heading for OWH and I do cut them all for the fold on the side. Cutting/scoring card bases like this is something I can do in front of the tv when I'm keeping my hubby company. This does mean that my bases are all white, but I will sometimes ink the edges if the design calls for it. I use mostly 12x12 paper which I store standing on edge on a bookshelf next to my crafting table. My 8 1/2 x 11 is in magazine holders on another bookshelf and I have a file box with hanging folders for scraps of all colors but white which are in a drawer right next to my table.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2012, 06:21 AM   #49  
Embossing Fanatic

I purchased mail boxes from Office Max that have 18 mail slots (slots are 9" wide, 12" deep and 2.5"high). I have 3 of them that I stack on top of each other right behind my desk against a wall. I have enough for every type of 8.5 x 11 paper SU carries. For scraps I have an 8.5 x 11 page protector in each slot for scraps - this way I can just pull out the page protector and go through the scraps at my desk. All the mail slots are labeled and have a punched piece of cardstock next to the label...best system I've found...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2012, 06:24 AM   #50  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by msalvatoView Post
I purchased mail boxes from Office Max that have 18 mail slots (slots are 9" wide, 12" deep and 2.5"high). I have 3 of them that I stack on top of each other right behind my desk against a wall. I have enough for every type of 8.5 x 11 paper SU carries. For scraps I have an 8.5 x 11 page protector in each slot for scraps - this way I can just pull out the page protector and go through the scraps at my desk. All the mail slots are labeled and have a punched piece of cardstock next to the label...best system I've found...
Would love to see a picture of this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2012, 07:29 AM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't think I would ever cut the whole pack, but I do have a small box of precut 4.25x5.50 pieces for a quick card front. This works great for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2012, 07:34 AM   #52  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I never ever cut my cs ahead of time. I use my cs for other things besides card bases. I store my cs in pocket folders and have a double file cabinet I put them in. I label the tops of the file folders with the color name and have them filed alphabetically. It's super easy to find that way. I also put any of my scraps in the same folder. That way if I need a small piece for a mat or something, I don't have to wonder what color it is cause it's in the proper folder.
Mary ~~ QFTD #152, FS#514CC Guest Design Team 2012, 2013, 2017 & 2022 2014 CAS Spring Design Team Member SC Guest Design Team 2015 & 2022 SU Consultant "Life's greatest adventure is finding your place in the Circle of Life" - Lion King
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #53  
Cardstock Collector

Default Never pre-cut, but storage can be used for it

I use a legal 4-Drawer file cabinet with hanging files. One drawer is files for each SU color and inside each hanging file is a letter-size file pocket to hold any leftover cuts from that color. Other drawers hold specialty cardstock like glittered, non-SU cardstock, vellum, retired SU colors. They are set up the same way. My 12 x 12 cardstock is stored in a plastic file made for scrapbooking that has hanging files in it. I never pre-cut, but leftover card-size pieces are stored in the letter pockets inside the co-ordinating hanging file.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2012, 09:43 AM   #54  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I cut a little of each package in half and store in by color in a perefect size tub (no clue where I got it.) The rest is stored, sorted by color, in a vertical tub I bought at JoAnn's. btw, I always keep a cover over the exposed end of the tubs to protect from fading.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #55  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

I store my 8 1/2 x 11 card stock in magazine file boxes. My sister gave me some really nice plastic ones that they were getting rid of in a doctor's office she was working at. The are very sturdy and perfect size to hold card stock. I don't precut because I make more than just cards and I don't typically make my card base with half a sheet. I make them bigger usually. I keep my scraps in sheet protectors. I separate each color for my Stampin' Up and Gina K card stock. I keep color families together for my Recollections card stock. I keep my 12x12 card stock and paper in Cropper Hopper file sleeves and then put the sleeves in the Iris paper containers I found at Michael's.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #56  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't pre-cut my card either. I cut it only when i have a project on the go. I store all my card in file boxes. jo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #57  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I don't cut it ahead of time because of several things: I use the cardstock for other things besides card bases, I make sizes other than standard A2, sometimes I have the card opening from the side, and sometimes from the top (cardstock cut in half lengthwise rather than width-wise), to name a few.
Amen sistah, girlfriend! High five!

I store mine in hanging folders too inside a 12x12 cube from michaels. I also make lots of boxes and specialty templates so I often need pieces much larger than a half sheet. If you do decide to precut, I don't recommend cutting more than half the pack.

I also find I never use some colours as card bases, only as accent colours. If you know that already, avoid cutting those colours. For instance, I buy multipacks of Cardstock to get colours I don't use much but I use for accents and paper piecing, die cutting etc. Cutting that for card bases would be useless and prevent me for using it to cut longer borders etc.

If you ever might scrapbook or make an album, you might need longer pieces for that too.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #58  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Default To cut or not to cut. That is the question!

I cut only the sheet I am going to use at the time and put the other half in a quart size Ziploc bag in the front of my hanging file along with scraps. Each file folder has a baggie in the front with scraps of that color. This makes it easy to use up all those scraps. The baggie has the color name on the front so if it gets separated, I can put it away easily.

When I pull a color, I take the whole folder to my desk so I have scraps and full sized sheets at my fingertips for that session.

I store my paper in four plastic hanging file boxes I got at Staples. I use SU! almost exclusively and just recently separated retired from current paper (gasp!). I had a hard time letting go of the old “color families”. In-colors are in one box along with Michael’s and other brand card stock. Retired colors are in one box. Current colors are in one box. White, neutral and black are in one box.

Rachelrose-
What a great idea to use typing paper in the inside! Now why didn’t I think of that?

Last edited by sylviad; 11-07-2012 at 12:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #59  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by sylviadView Post
I cut only the sheet I am going to use at the time and put the other half in a quart size Ziploc bag in the front of my hanging file along with scraps. Each file folder has a baggie in the front with scraps of that color. This makes it easy to use up all those scraps. The baggie has the color name on the front so if it gets separated, I can put it away easily.

When I pull a color, I take the whole folder to my desk so I have scraps and full sized sheets at my fingertips for that session.

I store my paper in four plastic hanging file boxes I got at Staples. I use SU! almost exclusively and just recently separated retired from current paper (gasp!). I had a hard time letting go of the old �color families�. In-colors are in one box along with Michael�s and other brand card stock. Retired colors are in one box. Current colors are in one box. White, neutral and black are in one box.

Rachelrose-
What a great idea to use typing paper in the inside ! Now why didn�t I think of that?
For a bit more of an elegant touch, try calligraphy paper. It comes in various pastels and neutrals, has a nice tooth and gives a finished touch. A tablet of it is not expensive. I've used mine for years and still have lots---and I use it for calligraphy as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #60  
Rubber Obsessor

i never cut ahead of time for storage. you never know when you might need a 8 1/2 by 11'.i found cardboard and fiber board storage paper shelves for paper at any office supply store, or catalog office stores. they have 8 1/2 by 11 inch and 12''x12' paper holders. i work some where that we use all different colors and have them at work too. i don't like file hanger because they do bend in weird spots eventually. once you start getting more and more colors, i store like colors with contrasting like colors in between to see what i have. hope this helps.Kat
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #61  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
For a bit more of an elegant touch, try calligraphy paper. It comes in various pastels and neutrals, has a nice tooth and gives a finished touch. A tablet of it is not expensive. I've used mine for years and still have lots---and I use it for calligraphy as well.
Great idea! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #62  
Cardstock Collector

[QUOTE=All my off-cuts (including tiny or oddly shaped pieces) are stored in clear plastic A4 envelopes with a press-stud fasteners. You can get these at local office suppliers. I used to dump all the off-cuts in a box and I ended up never touching them once they were in there. Now, if I need a small piece I pull out the specific named envelope and find a piece the right size before I cut into a pristine piece of CS. Ciao, Meg[/QUOTE]

Meg, do you have a photo you could post of this clear plastic envelope?
Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #63  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I have often looked at those magazine holders and wondered how people stored paper in them. I was a school librarian for 15 years and so I had a back room full of shelves of them with all of our archived magazines. So I know them well - well enough to know that when they aren't full the magazines tilt and slide into the empty space at the bottom and get all curled up at one end. Doesn't that happen with the cardstock?
Aside from the fact that all my holders are too full for there to be space for tilting, the cardstock I have is thick enough that the bending's not a problem. I don't think I'd store loose DSP in them, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #64  
Stazon Splitcoast

No cutting in advance for me either. I store mine, like many others in the hanging file folders. Of course that is just my SU cardstock that is 8.5 x 11. Now, once I cut into a piece of cardstock to make a base, I do store it differently. I go ahead and put the other piece aside for another card base whether it be horizontal or vertical. I call these pre-cut bases (they just haven't been scored yet). When I need to make a card I always look through my pre-cut bases to see if there is anything I can use without cutting into another piece of cardstock.

Another reason I don't pre-cut is because I am getting away somewhat from the A2 standard size card. I've been doing a lot of 6 x 5.5 or 6.5 x 5 lately. This is not for the person who likes to get two card bases out of one sheet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #65  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm a store and wait till I need a card girl too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2012, 05:58 PM   #66  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Allistamps, I had to read your post three times because I got stuck on the phrase "I'm a store." She's a store? And she waits until she needs a card girl?

Finally the lightbulb over my head went on. Oh! She's a "store and wait till I need a card" girl, also.

Duh. When that kind of brain freeze occurs, you know it's too late at night for you to be roaming the internet.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 11-10-2012 at 06:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2012, 07:51 AM   #67  
Glitter Queen

I never cut out any paper or cardstock ahead of time. I find it easier to keep them together by manufacturer so that I know what belongs to whom. I keep mine in a cabinet that has several drawers for 12 x 12 paper.
Reply With Quote Likes