Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-22-2010, 07:09 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do stamp companies share images?

I just purchased a wood stamp from my LSS yesterday. It's labled G5561 Silhouette 11 Silhouette 11: Impression Obsession Rubber Stamps=

from Impression Obsession, Inc. I was suprised to find the SAME STAMP credited to A Muse here on Julie's blog: Paper Trufflez: Clean & Simple Blog Hop: Sketch #100 Challenge

and here on Carly's blog:
Paper In Bloom: More A Muse News

The flower on top seems very slightly different, but the lower flower is exactly the same. In addition, the one I have seems to be longer. There is so much similarity, though, it can't be coincidence. Do stamp companies purchase images from a general source? I thought they were all unique.

Not that it changes my love for the stamp or the blogs listed (which ROCK); I'm just curious.

Sarah
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2010, 09:00 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,127 Likes on 508 Posts

There are companies that have exclusive artists to supply them with unique images (like the artist lines at Impression Obsession - Gary Robertson, Leigh Hannan, Alesa Baker, etc.).

There are artists that sell their artwork to a variety of different companies, so you may find similiar styles from one company to the next (ex: there is an artist whose designs can be found at Cowtown Stamps, Biblical Impressions, My Heart Stamps for You, and a number of other locations).

Some artwork does come from sources where a commercial license can be purchased to make that artwork into a rubber stamp, a background on a company brochure, a logo or t-shirt, etc. Those aren't exclusive rights, so yes, several companies that purchase artwork in that way could end up with the same art. One example would be artwork from Dover, most of which is essentially vintage clip art (ie. Gibson Girls), or online sources like istockphoto.com.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2010, 10:41 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have seen the same image at different stamp companies a few times. I was surprised at first, but I suppose if they use art from, say a clip art source like Dover, then there will be companies using the same images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2010, 06:40 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are very, very similar, but if you look closely at them, they are different.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2010, 06:47 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Stamp companies themselves do not share images, however, as stated already they do sometimes purchase image files that could be from the same source. The image files can usually be tweaked, which is why you see a difference between two companies. Most companies will try their hardest to make sure they don't see anyone else out there using the same image before they start producing theirs in rubber (if they are from these types of image files) but sometimes you just can't find everything or another company might happen to have their rubber in production at the same time so one company doesn't know what the other is doing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2010, 07:46 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man they are different but barely! I totally get how it happens, but I just wanted to day WOW you have a good eye to catch it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2010, 08:50 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default It just LOOKED familiar, you know?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin KView Post
Man they are different but barely! I totally get how it happens, but I just wanted to day WOW you have a good eye to catch it!
I thought I had seen it in a magazine, but when I went to my "favorites" for ideas, well - there it was. Looks to me like the A-Muse stamp is a little shorter, but they are too close not to have come from the same source. I don't have a problem with it - was just surprised as I thought each company had it's own staff of designers.

Anyhow, having loads of fun with the stamp - maybe I'll upload the cards I'm making with it.
Sarah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2010, 10:10 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
There are companies that have exclusive artists to supply them with unique images (like the artist lines at Impression Obsession - Gary Robertson, Leigh Hannan, Alesa Baker, etc.).

There are artists that sell their artwork to a variety of different companies, so you may find similiar styles from one company to the next (ex: there is an artist whose designs can be found at Cowtown Stamps, Biblical Impressions, My Heart Stamps for You, and a number of other locations).

Some artwork does come from sources where a commercial license can be purchased to make that artwork into a rubber stamp, a background on a company brochure, a logo or t-shirt, etc. Those aren't exclusive rights, so yes, several companies that purchase artwork in that way could end up with the same art. One example would be artwork from Dover, most of which is essentially vintage clip art (ie. Gibson Girls), or online sources like istockphoto.com.
What Dini said!

Last edited by JulieHRR; 08-23-2010 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: clarified
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2010, 05:25 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

I have the same stamp from two different companies and was surprised. Glad to see the answers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2010, 10:21 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by KegboView Post
I thought I had seen it in a magazine, but when I went to my "favorites" for ideas, well - there it was. Looks to me like the A-Muse stamp is a little shorter, but they are too close not to have come from the same source. I don't have a problem with it - was just surprised as I thought each company had it's own staff of designers.

Anyhow, having loads of fun with the stamp - maybe I'll upload the cards I'm making with it.
Sarah
Some companies that are considerably large and/or corporate are able to offer full-time employment to illustrators willing to illustrate exclusively for them.

But, most small, independently owned companies must find other avenues (or variety of avenues) to secure art for production into stamps, particularly if the owner does not do illustration work themselves. That can include working with illustrators or artists on a per piece basis, to purchasing a license on pre-existing imagery in order to produce that into stamps.

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-25-2010, 07:08 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

They do look similar, but I love the A Muse one better of course! :-)
PS. That is one of my most favorite A Muse stamps. I use it all the time. It's perfect for all occassions!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2010, 11:34 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Last month when I was at my LSS, they were sold out of A Muse's Bursting Blooms. I saw the Impression Obsession image in another section and *almost* brought it home with me because it was so similar. Definitely a bit larger. What can you say, except that both companies have exceptional taste!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2010, 12:10 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by criminalgraceView Post
Last month when I was at my LSS, they were sold out of A Muse's Bursting Blooms. I saw the Impression Obsession image in another section and *almost* brought it home with me because it was so similar. Definitely a bit larger. What can you say, except that both companies have exceptional taste!
Here Here! I totally agree! Great taste indeed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2010, 10:35 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
Some companies that are considerably large and/or corporate are able to offer full-time employment to illustrators willing to illustrate exclusively for them.

But, most small, independently owned companies must find other avenues (or variety of avenues) to secure art for production into stamps, particularly if the owner does not do illustration work themselves. That can include working with illustrators or artists on a per piece basis, to purchasing a license on pre-existing imagery in order to produce that into stamps.

HTH!
Actually I find it to be quite the opposite. The smaller independent companies seem to do more unique work from exclusive illustrators and the bigger corporate companies use the pre existing images. Not that there is anything wrong with either type of art.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2010, 10:50 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by michellesscrapView Post
Actually I find it to be quite the opposite. The smaller independent companies seem to do more unique work from exclusive illustrators and the bigger corporate companies use the pre existing images. Not that there is anything wrong with either type of art.
Perhaps I can better clarify what I meant. ;)

Of course, larger/more corporate companies do indeed purchase licensing, but, they may additionally have the financial resources to have an in-house illustrator, or illustration team, to produce an exclusive line of imagery only for them.

Smaller, independent companies aren't likely to be able to offer full-time (in-house) positions to an illustrator and or team of illustrators or graphic designers, so they may solicit artwork on a per piece basis from artists/illustrators (in some cases, the artist may or may not be willing to do so exclusively for a given stamp company) or purchase licensing to pre-existing art, or possibly a combination thereof, etc.

Hope I'm not clear as mud. LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2010, 11:52 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

What Julie just said makes perfect sense to me. Designers for both MFT and Bella still have etsy sites and sell other images they create.

I have often wondered if companies get together and discuss what theme stamps they are going to come out with. I have noticed a certain type being released by more than one company on the same month.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2010, 12:47 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pumpkin's MomView Post
What Julie just said makes perfect sense to me. Designers for both MFT and Bella still have etsy sites and sell other images they create.

I have often wondered if companies get together and discuss what theme stamps they are going to come out with. I have noticed a certain type being released by more than one company on the same month.
I certainly can't speak for every company, but I'd venture to say that the norm is that they do not. I think we all strive to generate releases that are hopefully fresh, and as different as possible, from what any other company is going to release.

And in keeping with that, companies carefully guard details about their releases. Of course, it is not uncommon that some companies will release similarly themed imagery. For the sake of example, at Easter time, several companies may simultaneously release stamps related to eggs and easter bunnies.

A handful of companies might release flourish type imagery in the spring for weddings, because that is a popular design trend, etc.

In the case of artwork belonging to the public domain, i.e. the Thomas Nast image of Santa has been produced in stamps by a wide array of companies--in different sizes, alone, in conjunction with other imagery as a collage, etc. One would have no way of knowing which company, or even companies, would (all) decide to produce that very same image at possibly the same time.

In the case of more obscure artwork that is available for licensing, there is also the possibility that several companies could purchase licenses on the same artwork, and make them into stamps simply by virtue of having the same exceptional taste, as Sarah mentioned. LOL!

I'd venture to say that this happens more by sheer (and sometimes quite astounding, LOL!) coincidence, as opposed to intentionally.

Ask me how I know. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes