Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-15-2009, 02:06 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To do justice to or not to do justice to.. that is the question..

Maybe this has been asked or maybe just thought about.. When looking in the gallery I see a LOT of Tilda's.. Magnolia's (hope they arent the same*shrugs* no clue), TK's... so as I look at these wonderful cards wonder what type of stamps do you not get because you believe you cant do it justice in making a card.. for me it is all those I listed.. I cant make a Tilda look like its been painted.. and a TK oh i wouldnt even DARE to try.. those take a special talent in my mind and I just do not have it.. I'm sure there are others I wouldnt dare to try.. but my mind is on blank mode right now

so what stamps do you love to look at but wouldn't dare to purchase in fear of not doing just the right thing by it..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2009, 02:58 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Very interesting question, Franb. Let me start out by saying that you do not need to be afraid of Tilda stamps.LOL I just bought a couple of them and my painting skills are not great, but once you practice a few times, you can really make them look pretty good.

With that said, Clear Arts Stamps by Crafty Secrets, do intimidate me a bit. They are so beautiful, yet so very detailed, that I would be unsure about how to color them.

Lisa
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 12:55 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I've never thought of myself as the daring type but maybe I am - I have yet to feel intimidated by any stamp! I might not get it right first time but experimenting is part of the fun in this hobby, right? My least favourite stamps are probably collage style ones but that's not because I don't like the collage style, it's just that I prefer to build it up myself out of individual elements (either with masking or cutting out of individual elements).

One thing I would say about both the TK and the detailed vintage stamps from Crafty Secrets is that they can both look absolutely stunning if you just stamp them and don't do any colouring - just the level of detail can give them the look of an etching from an old book and you can have the basis of a great card with minimum effort!

It might just be that using a different medium would make you more comfortable with different image styles, Fran. For example, I like to use pencils with TK images because I often want to colour right over areas of ink laid down by the stamp and the opaque colour from pencils is perfect for that. With more open line art, I might pick markers or watercolouring instead though.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 01:21 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Smile

I adore the House Mouse Stamps, but have not bought any. They are so small and intricate, I don't think that my eyesight could do them justice. I have just broken down and am going to give some Penny Black Hedgehog Stamps a try. I do hope that they turn out well. I was wondering about the quills on them, but I suppose it all comes with practice. I also have not done any Collage type stamps, I think that the overstamping just intimidates me.

Have a happy stamping day!

Trish in Wisconsin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 03:36 AM   #5  
Forum Fanatic

Thomas Kinkade DEFINITELY Thomas Kinkade!!!! Bought one, tried it, screamed at myself WHAT WAS I THINKING!!!!! Never again!!! I don't know how those who do them do it, simply amazing to me!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 04:06 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the very detailed stamps like the Thomas Kinkade stamps look much nicer not colored in. Just stamp in black, brown, copper, silver or gold and emboss in the same color. If using white paper, make a pretty background with sponging or stippling. Make the background the color to set off the detail of the stamp.

I'm not intimidated by any style of stamp. They are just rubber, it's what you do with them that have them come to life. I either like or dislike a style stamp.

I'm not into the collage stamps, in my opinion, they are too busy, but that's just me.

In the case of very detailed stamps, it's.....less is more!

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 04:15 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I am totally intimidated by Stampscapes stamps - I love looking at what people do with them but cannot imagine being able to do 'justice' to them. I have TK stamps and have watercolored and used pencils on dozens of them but I have only uploaded one that I was even partially satisfied with. So, I guess stamps with scenes are what intimidate me most.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 04:22 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

I too think the TK stamps look just lovely with a sepia or copper ink and nothing else. You can see one stamp colored and with several different inks only used here:
http://blog.papermonkey.org/index/20...s-kincade.html

As for the Magnolias: Tilda is the name of the girl in the Magnolia stamp series, so a Tilda is a Magnolia and Magnolia is a brand. Clear as mud? LOL A lot of us addicts color them with Copic markers or colored pencils and gamsol, and while some of the artwork is just over the top in terms of level of learning, the stamps themselves are SO easy to color so please do not be intimidated. If you do not like to color they also look fabulous paper pieced (stamped onto patterned paper and cut/layered).

I think half the fun in coloring is the learning curve, and seeing how your work improves over time. Having a blog has really taught me that lesson. I go back and see how I colored something and want to delete it lol.

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 07:32 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Don't be afraid of coloring the Tilda stamps from Magnolia. They are pretty easy to color because most of those are pretty big areas. Plus, just make sure that you're lighting is good.

It's the images with tiny areas that "get me!" But, I still try them out. Sometimes I do wonder though, how anyone expects us to be able to get into those small spots with ANY coloring medium! LOL!

Don't be afraid to use several coloring mediums in one image. For example, I just colored an image with my Copics and then saw the tiny flower centers. NO WAY would I get that copic tip in those, so I used a colored pencil.

*** With Copics, just remember to always use the Copics FIRST and then add pencil or whatever else you want to use, like Twinkling H2O's, etc. If you use copics on TOP of another medium, you will clog the tips of the copic marker.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 08:04 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by franb63View Post
Maybe this has been asked or maybe just thought about.. When looking in the gallery I see a LOT of Tilda's.. Magnolia's (hope they arent the same*shrugs* no clue), TK's... so as I look at these wonderful cards wonder what type of stamps do you not get because you believe you cant do it justice in making a card.. for me it is all those I listed.. I cant make a Tilda look like its been painted.. and a TK oh i wouldnt even DARE to try.. those take a special talent in my mind and I just do not have it.. I'm sure there are others I wouldnt dare to try.. but my mind is on blank mode right now

so what stamps do you love to look at but wouldn't dare to purchase in fear of not doing just the right thing by it..

I've never thought about it that way, and never been intimidated in the way you describe.

I either buy it because I really like it, or don't, because I don't like it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 08:07 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

i bought a TK even though i dislike his paintings and the stamps just to see what all of the fuss was about. that was my big mistake. I've used it a couple of times... for older people in my life..

but here's what i say to you: i would never let a stamp intimidate me. it's a stamp. what i WOULDN'T do is walk away from a stamp that I love because I didn't think I would do a good job. if you love them, try them out!! find a technique that works for you, and "do your thang." like someone already said, TK stamps in sepia on white or brown on white look good, so you could try that!!

Don't let rubber push you around...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 04:58 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
I've never thought about it that way, and never been intimidated in the way you describe.

I either buy it because I really like it, or don't, because I don't like it.
LOL Julie.. because you just really dont like it huh? LOL that just cracked me up

but I know what you mean.. there are some stamps that just I go ga ga over and then some erm NEXT!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2009, 07:25 PM   #13  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I was just thinking the same thing! They intimidate me so much that I won't even dream of buying one! :rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by diannep575View Post
Thomas Kinkade DEFINITELY Thomas Kinkade!!!! Bought one, tried it, screamed at myself WHAT WAS I THINKING!!!!! Never again!!! I don't know how those who do them do it, simply amazing to me!!
Reply With Quote Likes