Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-17-2008, 07:07 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I have stamping disorder??

I don't know if I am the only one suffering from this lately...but, I just counted how many 'active' projects I am workingon and the list is staggering!!! I have around 25 projects going at any one time...In fact, I can be working on something and then I get an idea for something else I am working on and then I focus on that for awhile...I do not ever feel that I am 'completing' a project. Help...are there any suggestions on how I can get over this disorder of sorts? How does everyone approach their stamping table? Has anyone worked from a list? Does everyone finish a project before going on to another? I find that when I am shopping in Archivers, HL, JF, etc...I am buying for projects that I haven't even started yet, but would like to do at a later time...can anyone help???:confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2008, 07:14 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I can sympathize but I don't think I can help! :lol:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2008, 07:17 PM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Please find comfort in the knowledge that you are not alone. I have the same issues. I am NOT going to count how many projects I have started and not completed . . . I'd rather start something new ! It's hopeless.

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2008, 07:29 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Nope - welcome to the club LOL

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2008, 07:36 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

That's very interesting. I do that for scrapbooking; partly because I think of different things I want to do as I'm going along and partly because I don't have some supply or other that I need to finish the page as I'd like to. I haven't done it for cards yet, probably because I've only been doing them for about a year now, and my space to create and my time to create them in is limited. I've been making cards on a demand basis; I have a need for a certain card, and I make it and use it.

However, I'm notorious for doing this with other crafts that I do. I have some needlepoint, cross stitch, and sewing projects that I started ages ago that I haven't finished yet! And although I still sew, I don't do needlework nearly as much as I used to, simply because of the time involved. I've gotten to the point more recently that I do finish projects once I start them. I think that I would get stalled on things when something was happening with the project that dissatisfied me, or I would (once again, as with the scrapbooking) need some material that I didn't have, and then I would have a hard time, once I'd left it, getting back to it.

I think that there is a certain excitement in starting something new, and sometimes I would get bored with the thing I was doing and want to move on before it was finished. It was a bad habit that I had, and once I realized that I was doing it, I stopped it; at least with the needlework and sewing projects! That's not to say that I haven't been tempted to stop a project when it got boring or frustrating and move on, but I've come to realize that there is a great deal of satisfaction in finally finishing the item, whatever it was. Sometimes I've had to approach the difficulty, if that's what was causing me to become resistant in finishing the project, from another angle. Sometimes I've realized that the methods of creating things are not always cut in stone, and you don't have to do whatever it was exactly as you've seen it done or the instructions tell you to do it. That fact has really caused me to become much more flexible in my sewing, for instance.

I know I've really rambled here, and I know your question was about stamping rather than things like sewing, but I think that the basic principle is the same. I also think that, since you've come to realize that you are doing this, and you don't want to continue doing it, that you can look at the probable underlying reasons behind it and approach your projects from a different perspective and finish them once and for all. (And if you really don't like something you're working on, then use what elements you can salvage on something else and scrap the original!) After all, the main reason for doing this craft is to have fun, right?

I hope this helps!

You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word. Psalm 119:114

My Little Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2008, 07:45 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I know your pain...I used to suffer from this affliction, too. I'd be working on one thing, which would lead to an idea for another, then another, etc. I decided I had to do something about it, so when I get an idea for a different project while working on another, I write it down, then finish what I'm working on. When that's done, I start the next thing on the list or whichever appeals or inspires me more or whichever has the highest priority. Otherwise I'd get overwhelmed and nothing would get done. A secret sister gave me a really great idea journal, which helps a lot...I keep it handy for notes. So yes, I do work from a list and it really does help me. I think we all have our own methods that work for us, so sometimes it's just a matter of finding what's right for you. Good luck and take comfort in the fact that you're not alone!

Happy Stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 03:44 AM   #7  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, honey, you are not alone, LOL!

I typically have 10 or so scrapping/stamping projects going at any given time. Some are ongoing (scrapping my family, for instance), and others are finite (the card storage box I just made my MIL, the heritage album I'm making for my FIL, etc.) This way, I have lots of choice of what to work on and never get bored.

I no longer buy for future projects until I am ready to start them, though. That was hard, at first, but now I do like Lisa does and write down ideas. When it's time to start, I go shopping. This has saved me lots of money because I never did start a lot of projects that I just thought I HAD to buy for--they just don't interest me anymore. So sad!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 05:18 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

I don't have this problem with scrapbooking, but with just general everyday projects. What I found to be helpful, is to make a list (you could stamp a pretty one on cardstock) that you can write down projects you would like to get done (either those already started or new ones.)

I've found that once I've written it down (in enough detail to be able to recall it later) that I can then focus on the task at hand. Also frees up a lot of the brain clutter. Then when I have time I can go to my list and pick a project to do. I'm not organized enough to make myself do them in order, but there is usually something there that fits my mood. Good luck.
In quaint, quiet, quirky little Darmstadt
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 05:25 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldywardView Post
I don't know if I am the only one suffering from this lately...but, I just counted how many 'active' projects I am workingon and the list is staggering!!! I have around 25 projects going at any one time...In fact, I can be working on something and then I get an idea for something else I am working on and then I focus on that for awhile...I do not ever feel that I am 'completing' a project. Help...are there any suggestions on how I can get over this disorder of sorts? How does everyone approach their stamping table? Has anyone worked from a list? Does everyone finish a project before going on to another? I find that when I am shopping in Archivers, HL, JF, etc...I am buying for projects that I haven't even started yet, but would like to do at a later time...can anyone help???:confused:
Not trying to be funny but is it possible that you have ADHD? Starting things and not finishing is a symptom. Just something to think about.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 05:32 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I doubt that it's ADHD- I think it's a human problem. I have it pretty bad (the starting something and then going on to something else)- but my DH has it much worse!! I can't even count how many things he's started and not finished because something else comes to his mind!
Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 07:04 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I think it is just that we have all these creative ideas that are flowing, that we start one project, then an idea bunny strikes and we move on to the next one. I have atleast 10 projects going on right now. I have noticed that I only finish ones that I have deadlines for, like gift albums or Circle Journals or something like that. We had been to Paris in 2005 and I still have three incomplete pages remaining of that trip (3 years later <sigh>) that are in project holders waiting to be completed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 07:14 AM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Part of the problem for me at least is that if something doesn't work out as well as I expect, I may want to move onto something else - but I don't want to completely discard what I started so I save it --- I have some things I will probably NEVER get back to but I just have a hard time parting with things. Even if it isn't working, I feel that it has value as it shows me what NOT to do. Make sense?

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 07:27 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

You're not the only one. For me it is usually because I never have all the supplies needed to finish a project before beginning on something new.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 07:38 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

You are not alone! I have UFOs (unfinished objects) all over my house, LOL. Ann (darmstadtdoll) gave some good advice. When you are struck with an idea, jot it down, maybe with some quick sketches. You could keep a little journal of ideas (oh goody, something else to decorate!). :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 07:40 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 490 Likes on 308 Posts
Wink RX for Stamping Disorder

Diagnosis: Stamping Time Disorder:

Prognosis: Non fatal contagious disease spread by adult contact with others afflicted with the disorder. Tends to come in waves, peaks at seasonal occasions. Feelings of exhilaration or extreme fatigue may be found in the same patient at different stages of the disorder.

Treatment: Variety of treatments available. Patient may obtain without prescription at any local/on-line facility.
a) escape to LSS or stamp camp for entire weekend with all items needed to complete TWO and only two of the projects started.
b) send other family members on vacation, call in sick at work and stamp on stamp on stamp on
c) book a cruise and pack all projects with only pjs and clean undies for clothing. STAMP STAMP STAMP!!!!!

To avoid future scarring episodes, purchase supplies only when ready to begin project, purchase enough to do just the project and return home quickly before cross contamination occurs.

If all else fails, log on to SCS and ask for membership in the 12 step program. ;)

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2008, 08:47 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cards4EverView Post
You are not alone! I have UFOs (unfinished objects) all over my house, LOL. Ann (darmstadtdoll) gave some good advice. When you are struck with an idea, jot it down, maybe with some quick sketches. You could keep a little journal of ideas (oh goody, something else to decorate!). :mrgreen:
Okay this I LOVE and will beusing this term as a regular part of my vocab...I do not think this carries into my regualr life..so I have really thought about this ADHD thing...I did think that might have been a valid thought...then I realized I have been taught to multitask in any 'job' I have ever had...meaning...when I worked in my last job (retail large craft store...initials are HL) I had to multitask everything I did...I may be working in framing and then be called for a customer return...etc....As a mom of three daughters...I am constantly putting hair in ponytails the same time I am starting laundry and helping with homework (all at the same time)...I was just hoping to get a few ideas from this great board and wonderful stampers who I feel I can turn to when I am in need...these threads have always picked me up when I was feeling not too good...and have given me a lot of inspiration...the ideas for the journal sounds really interesting to me...I can alter the journal...now there I go again...another project heaped on the pile...just kidding...Keep the ideas coming!!!
Reply With Quote Likes