Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #41  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hold classes and a stamp club in my home. I've also done a few events at my church, but I haven't had anyone interested in hosting a workshop yet. I do have a stamp club member that might host a workshop however because I showed her the new catalog and she liked one of the level 2 sets. She said she might just have to have a party so she could get it.

I do agree workshop bookings can be harder to get. I think they can be intimidating to the hostess so our job is show them how fun and relaxing a workshop really is!

Forgot that I wanted to address something Nancy said...

"So - she'll get the sales credit for my order for doing what? And if this is the trend why would SU continue with the demo program?"

With online orders, I usually send an e-mail to whoever placed the order with a brief note thanking them for ordering from me and letting them know if they had any questions about the products or a problem with the order to let me know so I could help them. I also offer to include them on my newsletter for upcoming events, etc. I think it should be about customer service and building relationships. Online orders are more difficult in a way because there isn't that face-to-face interaction with the customer. Most online orders have ignored my e-mail, but that's okay. I figure I offered and if they aren't interested or in need of additional assistance, I don't want to push too hard. They at least know I'm there if they need me.

Last edited by Cryth; 07-02-2010 at 01:41 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2010, 02:17 PM   #42  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrythView Post
Forgot that I wanted to address something Nancy said...

"So - she'll get the sales credit for my order for doing what? And if this is the trend why would SU continue with the demo program?"

With online orders, I usually send an e-mail to whoever placed the order with a brief note thanking them for ordering from me and letting them know if they had any questions about the products or a problem with the order to let me know so I could help them. I also offer to include them on my newsletter for upcoming events, etc. I think it should be about customer service and building relationships. Online orders are more difficult in a way because there isn't that face-to-face interaction with the customer. Most online orders have ignored my e-mail, but that's okay. I figure I offered and if they aren't interested or in need of additional assistance, I don't want to push too hard. They at least know I'm there if they need me.
Thanks Cryth - I am on this demos email address list, she just has not been active since before the xmas holiday. In fact when I went to put together my order I almost wondered if she was still active!
The last time I ordered from her I did get a nice e-mail like yours. I think the convenience of "self-ordering" online takes the face-to-face relationship that was so important to SU out of the picture. I am now wondering if I should place my order with a demo that has "cyber" classes".....

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2010, 02:36 PM   #43  
Crimping Master

Have you searched for a different demo in your area? I think anyone that you find off of the demo locator will be more business minded (even if they don't keep their events calendar updated) because you have to pay to have the site and most hobby demos wouldn't bother with that expense.

Personally I would just contact all the ones in my area and ask if they holdy monthly events, find one that works for you!

I hold a monthly class as well as my clubs, and love to do workshops whenever I can get a hostess! I think you would still find those kind of demos in your area, but you might have to search a little to find one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #44  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctabView Post
I would never do a 15 card for 20 dollar class (or a 10 for 10 dollars either) for a few reasons. One, most likely the demos aren't making money on the class. Or, they are offering cards so simple that my customers wouldn't be interested. And, even if they are covering their supplies there is no way they are covering their time.

These types of classes also rarely generate orders. Customers like them, because they get to make a lot of cards and try out new things without the obligation of purchasing. Unfortunately, a lot of customers also don't feel the need to purchase the stamp set they just made so many cards with (unlike a workshop where they get a taste and want more). These type of classes rarely generate sales.

I have done classes, but we make fewer, more intensive projects, and I charge an amount that actually covers my supplies and time.

Demos also tend to like workshops, because they constantly bring in new customers.

Don't get me wrong, I think classes are a great way to keep regular customers engaged and learning new tips and tricks. I just think more demos should look carefully to make sure they are even breaking even on their class prices.

=======================

I DO see LOTS of folks placing orders at these Stamp a Stacks.

But I'm sure for some, maybe not.

By purchasing supplies for 40 people for a Stamp a Stack, you are getting the "purchase" for the supplies and credit toward the Big Trip. I'm not sure how $1 per card/envie isn't covering the cost of the the card (I would agree that "time" is hard to judge/hard to put a finger on).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #45  
Pearl-ExPert

It depends on what kind of card you are making, but dsp, hardware, ribbon, glitter, etc. adds up. And, a demo should be (if they are trying to run a business) working to make a profit not to break even. Most demos aren't trying to earn the big trip.

I like classes as I can teach more complicated techniques and styles than I can in a workshop, but I refuse to work for sweatshop prices. I have never been able to come up with a 10 for 10 (or 15 for 20) class that would interest my customers and still make even a meager profit. Luckily, I have customers that will pay more per card in my classes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #46  
Mad Swapper

I try to offer something for everyone. Not all of my customers want to hostess workshops. They would rather attend a class where they learn stamping techniques and project layouts. They aren't pressured to order. If they fall in love with something they've used, they will ask me for an order form. I try to offer three to four different classes per month.

Then I also have Stamp Clubs. These ladies get together every other month, rotate being hostess and have a minimum $25 order requirement. They love to get together, stamp special projects and slowly build their stamping supplies.

Every customer is different. I think the demo that appreciates that (without adding sales pressure) and offers something for everyone, will make her customers the happiest. It's all about having a good time!

Stampin' Up! Demo...and lovin' it!!!
I'd love for you to check out my blog: http://www.atouchfromtheheart.typepad.com/
http://www.pattichesky.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2010, 08:48 PM   #47  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithjoanneView Post
One gal in my area does quarterly "Stamp a Stacks" that you pay for (no problem) and give you the opportunity to order (if you desire). 15 cards for $20; bring your own tape.

I don't know how she does (sales-wise) but LOTS of people show up to her functions----like 40. Routinely.

Wish more would do THAT!
This thread is interesting to me. I just sent in my paperwork to be an SU demo. I thought I would check out the SCS forums to see what people were saying about SU and this thread has proved valuable. I like the idea of the Stamp a Stack as a way of getting customers in. I definitely plan on having a web site because I feel once I get a good customer, they would probably like to have the option of just going on line to order at their convenience rather than havign to call me and perhaps play phone tag or have to come to a class or a workshop.

My favorite LSC has classes and crops that are constantly full so I think there is a desire out there for these kinds of things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2010, 10:36 PM   #48  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too will be becoming a demo soon, and personally cant see the problem in not benefiting from a stamp-a-stack because to I would see it as a promotion thing. Having said that Aust doesn't seem to have the HUGE following as the US does & has a lot less stores that still carry supplies. So it means that chances are the people I would have come to a stamp-a-stack would be people that have barely had a chance to look into SU! products. One of the difference for me, I don't have a family that would need to exit the house to be able to do the day. Just one housemate that could be in the other lounge. So that would probably be the biggest reason why I wouldn't be bothered loosing the personal time.

Previously I have gone to a Crafty Kidz demo's house that did (for lack of a better word) UFO night, basically we were able to take along cards that weren't quite right or finished and she would make suggestions on the best way to finish them.

In the same night we were all given a certain amount of just white pages (I think it was about 15-20) and then asked to bring along our own black ink and clear embossing powder, if we wanted. And were able to just go to town on all her stamps just stamping them to be cut or colored later and used on our own cards/projects.

From memory she charged $10-15 for the night (which included supper) and a lot of the girls there (all but one from memory) actually fell in love with some of the stamps over the next month from using the stamped images and then ordered them. I dont know if any demo's have tried this but I cant see the hurt in it especially if you have a big collection
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2010, 01:05 AM   #49  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm pretty active with workshops and various classes and routinely have several events each month. There are many demos in my area that do the same so it may be location-specific.

If you would like a demo to do a workshop or class, why not ask her/him to do it?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2010, 01:08 AM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would not host a workshop. I don't like to invite folks over to buy a product. But I would be happy to go to one! I've never been invited. Not even tupperware! Maybe it's me!

I used to have a very active top demo near me who had a host of classes and I went to those. Love to see the products and I always bought something. But her calendar is empty. I guess I could email her. Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2010, 06:16 AM   #51  
Stampin' Fool

I could put an order in with my demo whenever I want, but I don't. I would much rather wait and put the order in at a friend's workshop so they get hostess credit. One time I was blessed with "seed" money to purchase supplies for card making. I used $150 of it for an individual order with my demo and received the hostess benefits. I used the remaining $75 to order from my friend's workshop that month.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2010, 06:34 AM   #52  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
I would not host a workshop. I don't like to invite folks over to buy a product. But I would be happy to go to one! I've never been invited. Not even tupperware! Maybe it's me!

I used to have a very active top demo near me who had a host of classes and I went to those. Love to see the products and I always bought something. But her calendar is empty. I guess I could email her. Thanks
I would email her and let her know that you can't have a workshop, but you would love to attend one if a hostess didn't mind you coming. I bet she could find a lot of hostesses that would love to meet a new stamper and get an extra order on their workshop.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2010, 07:01 AM   #53  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post

Would you like to come to my next workshop? It's a bit of a trip, but I can send you an invite.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2010, 07:45 AM   #54  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 493 Likes on 272 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by NancyK.View Post
After reading this I am now wondering about the whole demo way of doing things...now please don't flame me - these are just my thoughts...

I have an order almost ready to go - it will be just over $150 and will probably be the only order I place this year. It includes paper and ink - no stamps.

I'll place the order with a local demo via her site - i've never met her and the last time she had any type of workshop was last November. I could not attend this due to other committments. She's not done any other class since then.

So - she'll get the sales credit for my order for doing what? And if this is the trend why would SU continue with the demo program?
Please understand that I'm not faulting her in any way - this is just how it is my area. And I totally understand the time and effort to hold workshops and not generate enough in sales to cover your costs. I was in a stamp club for awhile but I ended struggling to find something I really wanted - I was just buying the minimum to stay in the club. I would have much rather paid a fee for the class and have it be my choice if I wanted to buy anything. Here is how I figure it - I can be in a club where I have to spend, say, $25 a month on an order and the demo gets what - $5? Or I can pay a $20 or $25 fee for a class, all of which goes to the demo, with no obligation to order.
It seems to me the latter would be better for the demo, and I have no qualms in paying for a class.
I'm very lucky, in that my neighbor is my SU demo. I belong to her stamper's group, which has just increased from 9 to 10 ladies, with the addition of one of my coworkers. Occasionally, when I have a BIG order to place (like the guilt money DH had to fork over when he was chintzy at Christmas) she gives me the hostess benefits. And, quite generously, she has given me hostess sets some months when the group did not meet, if I was giving her an order that didn't qualify as a party. She has stamp camps for the holidays at a minimum price, and now, with 10 members, our group runs 10 months of the year. I'm kind of spoiled, having a friend as my demo, but you know, I spend more with her because I appreciate all she does for me.

I also got included in a regular every-other month shoebox swap after "meeting" another local stamper here on SCS. I LOVE doing that! We make 2 of each card, there's a theme each time, and we all bring snacks and our own drinks to the hostess's home. And at least three of the participants are a demo for different stamp companies. It's fabulous!

But it took me several lonesome years to find my way into these groups. Sometimes you really have to scout around!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2010, 07:56 AM   #55  
Matboard Maniac

I have 2 demos and both still have workshops. One has club group who meet monthly as well as many Open Houses and still has at-your-home workshops. The other does less frequent get together's but has monthly 'stamp with me' evenings where we bring our own projects and stamp/visit. We order what we need whenever--online or in person with both.

I'm still crying over your 'time out,' Joan....best of everything this summer!

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2010, 08:07 AM   #56  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My demo has been with SU for over 8 years. She used to have monthly classes, but she's had some health issues, 2 young boys and needed a break. She will quit when she doesn't meet the minimums any more. We still order off her website and she got catalogs for several of us. There is a newer demo close to me who has workshops and I'll have to eventually switch to her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2010, 01:58 PM   #57  
Cardstock Collector

Default wow

Quote:

One gal in my area does quarterly "Stamp a Stacks" that you pay for (no problem) and give you the opportunity to order (if you desire). 15 cards for $20; bring your own tape.

I don't know how she does (sales-wise) but LOTS of people show up to her functions----like 40. Routinely.

Wish more would do THAT!
Wow are you in SC I just went to a Stamp a Stack recently in SC. It was awesome.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2010, 02:39 PM   #58  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by dakari_chrissyView Post
Wow are you in SC I just went to a Stamp a Stack recently in SC. It was awesome.
============

I'm in Minneapolis.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #59  
Stazon Splitcoast

My demo I met here on SCS in the CE forum of all places. No parties for me, she's very long distance. I think she DOES do parties in her town though. Yeah, I'm sure of it, she's shown us the stuff before. Anyhow I order from her mostly because she's my friend. She does give me a free catty and that rocks. I usually place two orders a year.

I would love to go to a regular party, even a club, but I've only been to one in my town and the demo (who I didn't know, I was a guest) was really rude to me. It's ok though, my twice a year huge orders are super FUN to get and unpack!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2010, 05:44 PM   #60  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well ladies I feel fortunate. I have a great demo. We meet every month and there are 12 of us. We go to our demos house. We take turns being the hostess and we are responsible to bring goodies. Our demo does 4 or 5 cards and she gives them to the hostess. Then we all do a make and take and of course then we buy. I really enjoy it. If I didn't have a demo I would not buy as much, anyway she is great. I have several demos in my area and I live in rural Missouri so I was kind of surprised. My demo is Micky Lavinder and she does a great job. In fact I never buy from any other demo because Micky takes great care of her customers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #61  

Joan -
SU! is currently promoting workshops as one of the best ways to increase business. Shelli just finished touring the States doing 23 workshops (she's still got one to go!).
So, yes, there are demos who do workshops.
Many of my customers would rather do a 'mini class' with a charge, and then order ... instead of a 'traditional' workshop.
But I still do some traditional workshops. And it's fun.

Right now, though, I'm trying to clean up my stamp area and sort through retired, long ago retired, retired and maybe I'll use it, and 'oh, look, new stuff that I ordered and haven't even opened yet!'
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2010, 07:54 PM   #62  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketballmomView Post
Would you like to come to my next workshop? It's a bit of a trip, but I can send you an invite.
I'd like to come! My demo only does about 7 - make one card evenings per year!!! And she charges 10.00 per evening - one card, no refreshments.
:( Maybe I'll move to your city!!!

She has not even ordered the in colours yet.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2010, 08:30 PM   #63  

Quote:

Originally Posted by debzi333View Post
I'd like to come! My demo only does about 7 - make one card evenings per year!!! And she charges 10.00 per evening - one card, no refreshments.
:( Maybe I'll move to your city!!!

She has not even ordered the in colours yet.
We're coming out in August.
Maybe we can plan something! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2010, 06:43 AM   #64  
Die Cut Diva

Why is it when you go to a Demonstrator's home for a party (or any of the other names you want to call it) is everything cut precisely for you? In an effort to save time for the Demonstrator and to make the event more enjoyable and participating for the people, can't each attendee cut their own paper? A particular allotment of materials could be put out for each group of people and they can take it from there. I feel it would cut down on prep time and expense for the Demonstrator.

I stopped going because I found it no challenge or opportunity to use my creative ability. There was no technique taught or new products shown. I did not care to use the pre-cut ribbon and brads put out.

Have each person bring their own "tool box" of basic supplies. This also cuts down expense for the Demonstrator. Let the people know beforhand the "extras" to bring (ribbon, brads, embossing powder, etc.) If they truly are crafters, they will have these products. If they don't have the exact items, they can improvise.....think outside the box. Everyone doesn't have to have the exact same looking card.

Most of the people that attended actually used the cards made. I saw them as samples.

These are just my thoughts. I am not trying to be critical of anyone. There is no need to respond to my comments. Just voicing my comments as everyone else is.

A previous poster said left over material from these events was a waste for the Demonstrator. I don't see that. If she is a crafter, she can use the materials to make cards for her own use or as gifts.....thus not a waste.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2010, 07:49 AM   #65  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
Why is it when you go to a Demonstrator's home for a party (or any of the other names you want to call it) is everything cut precisely for you? In an effort to save time for the Demonstrator and to make the event more enjoyable and participating for the people, can't each attendee cut their own paper? A particular allotment of materials could be put out for each group of people and they can take it from there. I feel it would cut down on prep time and expense for the Demonstrator.
In my case, it would be because some people (like my sister in law) do not know how to use a ruler! She seriously would hack up a piece of 12 X 12 cardstock into 10 pieces trying to get a 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 card.

I almost always cut cardstock and ribbon into the correct sizes so that I can get the most bang for my buck. But if someone wants to use four brads instead of three, no big deal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2010, 07:50 AM   #66  

Quote:

I stopped going because I found it no challenge or opportunity to use my creative ability. There was no technique taught or new products shown. I did not care to use the pre-cut ribbon and brads put out.

Have each person bring their own "tool box" of basic supplies. This also cuts down expense for the Demonstrator. Let the people know beforhand the "extras" to bring (ribbon, brads, embossing powder, etc.) If they truly are crafters, they will have these products. If they don't have the exact items, they can improvise.....think outside the box. Everyone doesn't have to have the exact same looking card.

Most of the people that attended actually used the cards made. I saw them as samples.

These are just my thoughts. I am not trying to be critical of anyone. There is no need to respond to my comments. Just voicing my comments as everyone else is.

A previous poster said left over material from these events was a waste for the Demonstrator. I don't see that. If she is a crafter, she can use the materials to make cards for her own use or as gifts.....thus not a waste.

Patti
Patti -
Most demos try to structure workshops so that a beginner (never held a stamp before) can make the cards. Thus, the precut paper.

It's unfortunate that you didn't see new techniques or products when you attended events. That's probably NOT typical. Most demos that I know try to incorporate new ideas.

Typically, at my events the paper is pre-cut, but nobody ever ends up with the same card because they 'stray' from my design ... changing almost everything to make the card their own, rather than a carbon copy.
I know other demos who have more advanced classes than mine, and some who have technique clubs, learning 2-4 different techniques each month.

Your idea of having people bring supplies is not a bad one ... but there are many crafters who don't have a lot of supplies. Plus, your demo wants you to order ... so it's in her best interest to show you new supplies (brads, ribbons) so that you'll *need* to order.

I do have a couple of suggestions for you:
- use the demo locator to find demonstrators in your vicinity. Ask them if they have any advanced classes. Because it sounds like that's what you need/want.
- become your own demo ... and offer the advanced classes. I'm sure that there are others like you.

And you're right - the leftover material isn't a waste. I use mine to create cards that I sell ... or the pieces get put into new cards at some later date.

Thanks for your thoughts ... I'd never thought seriously about having customers cut their own paper ... but it might be a good idea to help people move beyond ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2010, 08:58 AM   #67  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaneyrocketView Post
In my case, it would be because some people (like my sister in law) do not know how to use a ruler! She seriously would hack up a piece of 12 X 12 cardstock into 10 pieces trying to get a 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 card.

I almost always cut cardstock and ribbon into the correct sizes so that I can get the most bang for my buck. But if someone wants to use four brads instead of three, no big deal.
This is exactly why so many demonstrators have stuff already cut up for customers. When I first started as a stamper and went to workshops, I was totally amazed at the number of people who couldn't measure anything to save their lives. I felt so sorry for the demonstrator because people were having and punching paper and taking tons of ribbon, etc. to create one simple card. It got to the point where the stash of paper and ribbon at a station wasn't enough for the final people to create with. Since demonstrators have to buy all their supplies, I know when I signed up and started doing workshops, I made sure that everything was pre-cut and bagged up for each person. I did have some extra materials if really necessary, but in order to keep costs in line, you have to make best use of your materials - and leaving a bunch of stuff out on the table for a "free-for-all" isn't necessarily the best use depending on the group of customers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2010, 10:51 AM   #68  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Patti
===========

I'm not a demo. Would agree with many of your comments.

Demo "complains" about the time spent "cutting this and that for all of you" (I say, "Then don't do it and let the people do it themselves). 9/10 will figure it out and 1 will waste a few supplies.

I've had numerous demos "follow me" at their parties as I slightly alter their creation (while still using JUST the supplies given)-----letting me know their way of doing it. Oh my. Just relax. DOES IT REALLY MATTER HOW THE END PRODUCT LOOKS, YOUR WAY OR MY WAY???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2010, 10:54 AM   #69  
Kookie Creator

My demo scheduled one and then canceled it completely - never let me know - never rescheduled....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2010, 11:32 AM   #70  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

===========

I've had numerous demos "follow me" at their parties as I slightly alter their creation (while still using JUST the supplies given)-----letting me know their way of doing it. Oh my. Just relax. DOES IT REALLY MATTER HOW THE END PRODUCT LOOKS, YOUR WAY OR MY WAY???
I'm so sorry that has been your experience. I always encourage people to change what they want about the card. I do precut materials in our to same time and to control how much of my supplies and money I'm putting into one workshop.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2010, 11:37 AM   #71  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

oh my goodness, I did not mean for this thread to turn into a criticism of demos. I was just wondering if the workshop still existed or whether other sales means were taking its place.

I am so sorry to have started this as some of it has turned in a direction that I did not intend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2010, 11:46 AM   #72  
Hardware Hotshot

I don't see complaints. I see ideas and suggestions of how demos could hold functions that people would want to attend. Both sides of the coin have thoughts on it.

If I was a demo (I'm not) I'd read the entire thread and take notes and adjust accordingly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2010, 12:30 PM   #73  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't see it as a complaint thread on demos. I also saw it as an idea of what is available from different demos. It let me see that the demo I have offers about the middle of the road as far as other demos. And it gave me an idea of how to judge her when making a decision to continue in my monthly club or not.

Deb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2010, 12:40 PM   #74  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by NancyK.View Post
I found this to be the case as well - I figured with the new catalog the few demos in my area would have a workshop or something, but nothing is scheduled.
I'm in a transition period right now (just got a new job, trying to move into an apartment from the temporary living arrangements I have now), but as soon as that's settled I've got event plans in the pipeline!

My most regular event right now is my "Stampin' 101" class that I try to hold every other month. It's just the basics for newcomers to stamping who want to try it out and learn the fundamentals. It's free, and my church lets me use one of the large classrooms.

"Stamp-a-Stack" events work best for me just before the holidays, and our Simply Scrappin' kits make planning and designing a breeze! Keeping it simple like that also helps to generate orders, because people see just how easy it is to do themselves without a huge investment in supplies. I try to stick to one or two basic and versatile sentiment sets, and one or two image sets that coordinate with the scrapbooking kit. Ink colors are kept really simple as well. Each person also gets to keep whatever pieces from the kit aren't used that day (I design the cards to use half a kit per person) so they can go home and make a few more cards.

If a potential hostess doesn't want to go to the trouble of having the workshop at her home, I offer mine. It really helps when they don't have to worry about cleaning up for company, or getting hubby or a babysitter to occupy the kids for a few hours!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2010, 12:46 PM   #75  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandyKaydView Post
My demo scheduled one and then canceled it completely - never let me know - never rescheduled....
Oh, no! Something similar to that happened to a friend of mine at church, which was why she said she switched to me immediately after finding out I was a demo. Hope everything's okay and she didn't have some sort of personal or family crisis...

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2010, 01:58 PM   #76  
Crimping Master

I am not a demo. I have workshops at my house, mainly as a way to invite my friends over, do some catching up, eat, have a good time and end up with a couple of cards to take home with and maybe learn a technique or two. I do this because I know I will be putting in an order, and if any of my friends want to also put in orders, it's added bonus for me, as I get hostess benefits. It's also great for our demo friend who gets the credits toward her quota (and commission, of course). Oh, and pretty much everyone is seasoned stamper too, so it's not limited to just newbies.

Yes, I do schedule this when hubby is at work. And I also make sure there's someone to watch the kids. But I would do the same regardless whether there's a workshop or not. If I want to invite friends over, I would have to do the same thing. So why not kill two birds with one stone, invite friends over anyways, and get some benefits out of it!

My $0.02.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2010, 04:48 PM   #77  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I don't see complaints. I see ideas and suggestions of how demos could hold functions that people would want to attend. Both sides of the coin have thoughts on it.

If I was a demo (I'm not) I'd read the entire thread and take notes and adjust accordingly.
This thread is very valuable to me as I just made the decision to be an SU demo and I just sent in my paperwork. I now know what experienced stamping customers like and what they don't and what works and what doesn't. Keep it going.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2010, 03:37 AM   #78  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by cindy501View Post
This thread is very valuable to me as I just made the decision to be an SU demo and I just sent in my paperwork. I now know what experienced stamping customers like and what they don't and what works and what doesn't. Keep it going.
=========

One demo I connect with periodically does a short email "survey" of customers re: what they are interested in...........ie: Making cards only? Scrapbooking? at Make and Takes, do you want just cards to other 'speciality' items too? Are you interested in belonging to a Stamp Club that would meet monthly? etc. etc.

I think it has given her a good idea what HER customers are looking for.

It's a good idea and I would do it if I were a demo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2010, 06:09 AM   #79  
Vee
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by geogymnast82View Post
Although I'm no longer a demo, I'll address why I stopped doing these types of events. Even with purchasing my materials at a discount and charging for the event, you still had to get a certain number of people to show up in order to cover the cost of your time. My DH would take the kids away for the day - which meant he and them would usually eat out (an expense that wouldn't be there if there were no event). It meant that that I would have to book that day way in advance since everyone around me have as hectic of schedules as I do so you need to get your event on the calendar if you want them to attend at all. Then you actually had to get people to commit to the event - and just saying they were coming isn't enough since with so many people "something else came up" or "I forgot" (even if you remind them) and they never show. So, either you get nobody show up or only a few people which still doesn't cover all the time and expenses unless you charge an arm and a leg for the event. A lot of people don't want to pay for your time or the cost of getting rid of your DH and kids for the day. So you keep the event price reasonable and try to cover the cost of your supplies. A lot of people around me aren't the least bit interested in pre-paying for an event - they want the luxury of changing their minds without losing their money if something better comes up. I got tired of the all the no-shows even from people who went on and on about how excited they were to be coming. Doing an event for one or two people wasn't worth my time.

As to the OP's workshop question, I stopped doing those as a demo, too and started buying for myself because you constantly had the hostess who told her guests "don't worry about buying anything - just come and enjoy the night out and make some projects". By the time all was said and done, the order totals weren't high enough to cover all the time and work involved when people weren't ordering much of anything.
Yep. Exactly!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2010, 06:27 AM   #80  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

=========

One demo I connect with periodically does a short email "survey" of customers re: what they are interested in...........ie: Making cards only? Scrapbooking? at Make and Takes, do you want just cards to other 'speciality' items too? Are you interested in belonging to a Stamp Club that would meet monthly? etc. etc.

I think it has given her a good idea what HER customers are looking for.

It's a good idea and I would do it if I were a demo!
I agree it is helpful to find out what your customer's like and don't like. But even then you are going to have a mixture of newbies and more seasoned stampers and there is no way to keep everybody 100% happy 100% of the time. You have to find a balance you can all live with.
Reply With Quote Likes