Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-24-2010, 02:29 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disappointed with sales of my cards and coasters

Hello

Don't know if this is the right place for this post, but will start here and see how things go.

I participated in an event where I was able to sell my cards, coasters and other handcrafted items. A non profit organization was setting up a the event with table costs going towards the organization. The charity itself is a great organization, I am just disappointed with the sales ... a whole $5 in sales. This was the first time I have ever sold my stuff in a sales event.

Wondering if anyone else out there who sells their papercrafts has had the same experience when they first starting selling stuff .

Everyone who looked at my stuff commented on the quality of the items, but walked on by. I wonder too if it was just the "type" of crowd. The type of sales booths that were there varied from Tupperware to people selling home backed goods and chocolates .

Anyone has any suggestions for types of sales that you are not so successful with? Does anyone participate strictly in sales that are arts/crafts related ?

Thanks
Jen
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2010, 02:35 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have done so many of those things in the past with my students and just me. It depends on the 'mood' and time of year. Now is not such a good time for card I would think.

One year my students made children's aprons (commercial sewing class) and it was the same year as the girl who fell in the well...we sold out in 30 minutes. The next year? Better quality and I had the kids do twice as many. Only sold 1/4 of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2010, 04:43 PM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is a link to the craft sale best sellers thread, they may be able to help you:
craft sale best sellers? Let's make a listing! Please by margit at Splitcoaststampers
Having done craft shows over 25 years ago, it is a very hit and miss type of things, and can be very disappointing. I now longer do sales because I didn't know what to do with the items that I didn't sell and you also have some money tied up in those items/sales too. Good luck!

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2010, 04:48 PM   #4  
Toy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Linda's right, Jen. I think a lot of people are just pinching their pennies right now. As beautiful as your cards may be, they see a card (only artisans really appreciate the value!) and they think "hmmm... I can get a card for a buck at the dollar store".

Also, I think certain times of year are better for handmade card sales (i.e. Christmas, Easter, etc.). That's just what I've experienced.

I've found that selling my things is a 'word of mouth' process. I sell to auntie M and she tells cousin J and so on. Also, packaged sets always sold better for me. Right now I'm like the Hallmark store of our cul-de-sac. I sell a few here and there, but nothing significant.

Keep plugging away!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2010, 05:25 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Jen, sorry for your hard work and then disappointment. Please don't be discouraged about the quality of your things, just because they didn't sell.

Like everyone says, when the economy is tight people aren't so willing to pay for "non-essential" items I think.

I did about 6 craft fairs last year for the first (and last) time. Mine started in November and ran right up to the week before Christmas. Many of them were at large metro churches where the shows were advertised heavily and very well attended. My sales were pretty disappointing overall.

Like you said, many people stopped and looked and made wonderful comments about all my things. How lovely, cute, well-made, darling (fill in the blank.) Then they smiled and walked on to the next booth.

Then you also had the "sour-pusses) who looked at everything very critically and then said to their friend, "Well, I could make that."

I had one lady who cracked me up. She was examining some gift-card holders I made, very cute,with ribbon handles, looked like little purses and actually opened up with a place for the gift-card inside. They came with a matching envelope. I had them priced at $4, and actually had sold quite a few of them.

She glared at me and said, "Well, when I was making stuff like this, I sold it for A Dollar!" I just looked at her and smiled and said, "Good for you!"

I worked very very hard getting ready for those shows, spent gas getting there and back, and hours standing in my booth for very little money in return. I met some lovely people (other vendors and crafters) and enjoyed that part of the shows.

But I've decided that from now on I will make things for love, not money. No more craft fairs for me, except possibly as a customer.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2010, 06:07 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

You can't take it personally... I've been selling for 19 years and have never had such a lack of business as in the past couple of months... no wonder so many businesses are going under. Just heard Vermont's only RS store is closing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2010, 06:44 PM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

I've been doing craft fairs for about 5 years now. It's impossible to predict what will sell but I do really well in November/early Dec. fairs. Price, of course, is a big concern, but I believe if you present your items in an attractive way that's easy for people to see the items it really helps.

Instead of laying everything out flat on the table (too confusing for the eye!), stack items. Use plastic shelving to take the eye "upward". Plus it gives you more space. Even if you cover a box with a piece of fabric and put your things on top, it's easier for people to see them. Put like items in their own baskets or containers.

Make sure your prices are easy to see. Make signs that are easy to read. (Large print for us aging baby boomers!) Use humor! Funny signs, funny sayings.

SMILE when people approach your table. Make small talk. I always used to try to be invisible so I didn't "bother" anyone or appear pushy (never gonna happen - I'm such a wimp). Try to engage people without being pushy.

Don't get discouraged. There were times I thought I'd do well and didn't and times I thought I should have stayed home and actually did well.

Find fairs that are heavily advertised and who have been holding them on a regular basis. A lot of churches do this.

One of my best sellers has always been dog treats of any type or items with dog or cat graphics. I've also done cat treats, but they don't sell as well. I have a cat, and love both cats and dogs but cat treats are very expensive and managed to sell only 1 or 2 of these.

I try to stick to fairs where the table prices are under, say $30-35. A lot of churches only charge $20 which is easy to make up (sometimes) if you have enough inventory.

Have a variety of items. And try to have several inexpensive dollar items.

If you really enjoy it, keep doing it. You'll never get rich, but it's fun. I've met a lot of wonderful vendors and a few have become very close friends. Talk to them and get ideas and feedback since they're from your area. They can let you know about upcoming fairs as well.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2010, 06:45 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

I went into a craft fair only once. It was a lot of work to get ready and set up etc. and I ended up selling ONE card ... although some of my smaller things did sell, magnets, bookmarks, that kind of thing. But although people admired the cards, just one lady bought one ... and I heard her tell her friend that she would like to "paint that snowman" ... so I guess she was buying it so that she could copy (hand paint I assume) the snowman onto a creation of her own ... oh well. I have sold some of my cards at work at Christmastime and have done a lot better there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2010, 08:10 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Just wanted to say that I too sell my cards and I feel your pain. ;) It really is quite unpredictable to say the least. My suggestion to you would be to decorate and display your beautiful work as to make you feel really proud. Sounds odd I know, but I really believe that when you put your very best foot forward and still don't sell, it probably has nothing to do with your creative genius, but more the current financial climate (as your best foot forward will be fabulous, no doubt) as you have done a wonderful job in creating and displaying a creative, innovative and gorgeous product. I do/have done markets and festivals pretty much each weekend for quite some time now and people are really just holding on to their money these days...that's if they even have any. Bless.

I also have to agree with those rude "so and so's" that say silly things like they could make that or sell it for less etc.. Blech. They do annoy me, but I try not to let them, but I do let them motivate me to be even better and laugh to myself at their audacity (naughty I know). All that to say is hang in there and have both faith and belief in your creativity and continue to do what moves and inspires you! Not only do you benefit, but others will too. Win/win situation, but it is just hard to see it sometimes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2010, 09:24 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

girl i know what you mean!! i had one today also and only sold 2 cards! :( sad!! i had alot of different things and i even wanted to make more different items but since im broke i couldnt which is good cause i didnt even make the money back from the donation and the gas used to get there and back home! i at least got my name out !!
good luck i know its hard but keep your chin up
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2010, 10:38 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know its sucky :( I have heaps of people that I know asking for cards and that at the moment but no one is willing to pay for them! Or the ones that are dont realise how long it can take when they want a complex layout!

But you never know when things change just keep trying it will come through xx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2010, 12:55 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Like many have mentioned, the market for creative/artisan items is fairly hit and miss. I have decided after some relatively disappointing shows lately that I will only attend a craft show if I already have plenty of excess already made for the event. I love to create, however, I will not mass produce for shows for the sake of the show. It burns me out not to mention I refuse to sell cards that took me quite a bit of time and effort for next to nothing. I would rather give them away to those who could use them.

Something I am trying for the upcoming holiday season is selling stamps sets and kits along with my cards. I find that many craft show attendees are crafters themselves looking for ideas, thus I plan on hitting the non-crafters with my cards and the crafters with my designs and supplies. Items that ALWAYS sell tend to be food. At one show last year I sold 5 cards and almost all of the no bake cookies that DH made and I packaged. A lot of times they simply eat it at the show. lol!

Best wishes and keep your chin up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2010, 05:55 AM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

I think it must be very difficult to sell those beautiful hand-made cards that some of you do. So much time and energy goes into the designing and creating it must be frustrating to have people admire them and walk away. The economy stinks but hopefully things will get better. In the meantime, maybe you could offer other things (like the coasters, bookmarks and many other things) to make some sales. You've already got the creativity and the supplies so you should do well. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2010, 07:09 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

I have had the same experience, set up and do all that and sell one thing. Like another poster said, they smile, complement, pick it up, turn it over, set it down and walk on. It seems that most are going to craft shows for a social outing, to admire and not buy anything.

Do you have a workplace you could take your goodies to? I have a basket I fill with cards when I have a bunch on hand. I bag them and price them at 3:00 with the envelope, and they fly out of the staffroom. I work in a school of over 60 staff and it only takes 5 or 6 who appreciate the work to buy them.

Craft fairs aren't worth it when I can just take my cards to the staffroom and have people hover over them like sea gulls at the rodeo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2010, 07:31 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Try the fall crafts shows. November and December for the Thanksgiving and Christmas shoppers. The first four pages of my gallary have pics of a couple of the shows I did in 2008 and 2009 and some of the new items I am working on for this fall. All my shows have had sales over $200 except 2 and one was over $300 in the last 4 years. I found that simple hand stamped cards for 1.50 sold the best and the photography cards 3.00 ea or 4/11 did well too. The more elaborate higher priced cards were the slowest sellers. Birthday, thank you and thanksgiving cards sold better than Christmas cards. Last year was the first time I did coasters and they sold well at one for $4, 4 for $15 and 4 in a gift basket for $20. I went back and added notes to some of the pics in my gallery last year with details of what prices and how many sold and new display ideas that I thought helped increase sales. My worst show I only sold $35 and it was mostly a vendor fair with very little arts and crafts. I find the ones that are mostly holiday arts and craft ones in November and December draw the customers looking for the items we have to sell. I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2010, 03:21 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

I was at a craft fair today and as there were no papercrafters there I hope I can be honest without getting creamed here. I am one of those who say "lovely", "beautiful", "creative", "clever", etc. at every booth where I like the products even if I don't buy.

Today's event had over a hundred vendors and most of the products were upscale, with matching prices. Some jewelry was in the $40-60 range, but much of it was also in the $200-400 range. The handmade custom clothing ranged from $50 to over $500. There were some large silk embroidery pieces in excess of $10,000. Clearly all this was WAY beyond my budget or even my dreams!

There were also some affordable pieces. Some really nice ceramics designs and pieces which the lady fires herself and does gorgeous work painting and glazing. Some neat hats, some relatively reasonably priced photos and oils, some pottery, some woodcrafts. There were some adorable paintings on glazed ceramic tiles- really cute stuff.

I paid an entrance fee to the foundation sponsoring the fair. I did not and do not think that I should feel obligated to purchase just because I see something I like. To glance at a crafter's items then walk away without comment to me is rude. I would think that I would like to know that my work was appreciated, even when it is not purchased. I would have needed thousands of dollars in my pockets to purchase even a percentage of the wonderful things I saw today. (Even ignoring the magnificent embroideries!) So, I make nice comments, sometimes talk to the vendors about their work, and make sure not to engage them if someone is there who clearly intends to purchase when I don't.

I guess it's just me but I would rather talk to the vendors and admire their work, than walk away without commenting and leave them sitting there staring into space when no one else is in their booth.

There is a tone to many of the above posts that sounds like my opinion of how to treat vendors at fairs is wrong- that I should not talk or even look unless I intend to buy. I'm sure it is frustrating to do all the work and then not sell as you'd hoped, but people buy as they can afford and as strikes their fancy or their need. I ended up spending far more than I intended today, but still left many booths empty handed even when I liked the products.

The reactions in some of the above posts might make me less likely to attend craft fairs- if I am to be regarded as wrong for not buying. Was today a social event for me? Certainly! I enjoyed it very much. But, in the process, I DID support the foundation and several of the vendors as well. But, I would never attend a fair where I would feel "obligated" to buy. That's just not either fair or realistic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2010, 05:03 PM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by tchkView Post
I was at a craft fair today and as there were no papercrafters there I hope I can be honest without getting creamed here. I am one of those who say "lovely", "beautiful", "creative", "clever", etc. at every booth where I like the products even if I don't buy.

Today's event had over a hundred vendors and most of the products were upscale, with matching prices. Some jewelry was in the $40-60 range, but much of it was also in the $200-400 range. The handmade custom clothing ranged from $50 to over $500. There were some large silk embroidery pieces in excess of $10,000. Clearly all this was WAY beyond my budget or even my dreams!

There were also some affordable pieces. Some really nice ceramics designs and pieces which the lady fires herself and does gorgeous work painting and glazing. Some neat hats, some relatively reasonably priced photos and oils, some pottery, some woodcrafts. There were some adorable paintings on glazed ceramic tiles- really cute stuff.

I paid an entrance fee to the foundation sponsoring the fair. I did not and do not think that I should feel obligated to purchase just because I see something I like. To glance at a crafter's items then walk away without comment to me is rude. I would think that I would like to know that my work was appreciated, even when it is not purchased. I would have needed thousands of dollars in my pockets to purchase even a percentage of the wonderful things I saw today. (Even ignoring the magnificent embroideries!) So, I make nice comments, sometimes talk to the vendors about their work, and make sure not to engage them if someone is there who clearly intends to purchase when I don't.

I guess it's just me but I would rather talk to the vendors and admire their work, than walk away without commenting and leave them sitting there staring into space when no one else is in their booth.

There is a tone to many of the above posts that sounds like my opinion of how to treat vendors at fairs is wrong- that I should not talk or even look unless I intend to buy. I'm sure it is frustrating to do all the work and then not sell as you'd hoped, but people buy as they can afford and as strikes their fancy or their need. I ended up spending far more than I intended today, but still left many booths empty handed even when I liked the products.

The reactions in some of the above posts might make me less likely to attend craft fairs- if I am to be regarded as wrong for not buying. Was today a social event for me? Certainly! I enjoyed it very much. But, in the process, I DID support the foundation and several of the vendors as well. But, I would never attend a fair where I would feel "obligated" to buy. That's just not either fair or realistic.

You're right, and I'm sorry if I sounded miffed... I would rather people be friendly than not make eye contact and scuttle on by.

Thank you for posting a well written reply. In so many ways you are right, I am also a browser and not often a buyer because of pricing. And in attending fundraising fairs the public IS being supportive. Thank you for pointing out some important things.

I would encourage the OP to find another outlet, such as her workplace if she works, as I mentioned in my previous post.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2010, 05:09 PM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Just a thought. Has anyone had a sale and posted NOT FOR SALE signs. Nothing like buying something that wasn't suppose to be sold. Seems more valuable for some dumb reason. Don't know if it will work but on a few items it might be worth trying.
sam

sam

Last edited by allensm; 07-25-2010 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2010, 08:14 PM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

tchk

Wow! I am speechless. Clearly, someone of your class should not be affiliated with us little people. But thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2010, 08:26 PM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

I think you should get off your high horse. Obviously, you don't need the money and you should not denigrate the vendors you obviously abhore. Your post reeks of superiority. You are not being "honest"; you are just being mean.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2010, 09:16 PM   #21  
Crimping Master

Sorry 26favours, I agree with tchk.

I love to speak to the other crafters but seldom buy, simply because I have so much at home. On the other hand, if I didn't look and speak with the vendors, then I would never see something I can't do and buy it on the spur of the moment.

That strikes me as a lose/lose situation.

My theory is that it is mostly other crafters who enjoy looking at our handmade items. Unfortunately, they aren't likely to buy much because they are making things too. If non-crafters are looking, they don't buy because they don't appreciate the effort:cost ratio.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2010, 10:02 PM   #22  
Crimping Master

I definately agree with tchk, and your post is honest and how people coming into purchase things these day are. I can not see superiority here at all.

I know its frustrating not selling things especially when you have created and planed for hours. But I personally would prefer being at least complimented for the effort and creativity I spent on the product. And, as in many cases in retail, a person complimenting you on something may be a chance for you to convert that person from just a looky-lou to a serious buyer. Yes it can take more effort doing things that way but at least you feel good when you make that sale in the end.

And if you dont get the sale no harm is done you may have met someone who is interested in the company you work for (if thats an option) or had someone make you smile with a compliment when you are there being fed up with a situation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2010, 10:45 PM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

God.....I am so tired.............you're missing the point..........
hawstamper clearly stated that she was frustrated....she is asking for help..............
tchk.........no one cares about your high-class "craft fair"; YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT.
Please read the first post.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2010, 11:44 PM   #24  
Crimping Master

We are all empathising with hawstamper although none of us has a solution for all situations - because there probably isn't one.

The best we can do is realise that it isn't the fault of ourselves or our product but of economic climate and the type of client attending the fairs.

Whereas stopping to chat without purchasing can feel quite negative to the seller, it is often meant in a positive way. By viewing it as positive, it migh make hawstamper and anyone else who's down about their sales, feel a bit better about what they 'have' achieved.

This was the point of tchk's post.

This is such a friendly community, I would be very surprised if someone with the posting history of tchk would still be here if she were into craft snobbery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2010, 11:45 PM   #25  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by allensmView Post
Just a thought. Has anyone had a sale and posted NOT FOR SALE signs. Nothing like buying something that wasn't suppose to be sold. Seems more valuable for some dumb reason. Don't know if it will work but on a few items it might be worth trying.
sam
I love it. We always want what we can't have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2010, 12:14 AM   #26  
Alz
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

sam

I love this Sam!!! A girlfriend of mine sells ribbons (a specialty store) and the number of customers who want to buy the projects on display is unbelievable. Sometimes they even offer ridiculous amounts of money, especially for Christmas decor items! Another girlfriend sells cards via consignment with a local florist which is proving a huge success.

Otherwise Jen, here in Australia we haven't been as effected by the global recession so our spending habits really haven't changed much. Personally, most of the work I sell is by commission. A few of the things I would keep in mind if I were going to be selling at a fair though would be the demographic of where the fair is being held (in Australia that would make an enormous difference), how big the fair is, whether it is more likely to attract day trippers simply enjoying a day out, and the time of year. I imagine some of this would be the same in the US.

I've attended craft fairs here in Australia simply to be out in the glorious sunshine mixing with my community. I think your stall's position can also effect your sales. I rarely purchase something from the first stalls I see just in case I see something I really, really love later on and so need the money I bought with me to buy that. KWIM?

One thing though, if it helps at all, when I was designing for a local scrapbooking store, we found the classes and kits that sold out the earliest were always the ones relating to the time of year it was and what celebrations were coming up.

I wouldn't give up Jen. Maybe print some flyers to hand out to those who do stop and admire might help because then they'll be able to come back to your stall before they leave and/or contact you after the event. I hope some of this helps. Good luck next time Jen. Alz

PS: Have you thought of having some very simple 'make and takes' aimed towards children? Sometimes children can go 'stir crazy' at these types of things (at least in the big cities here in Australia where we don't have pony rides for example) so if you can encourage mum and/or dad to stop and admire your products whilst their children make something you may be more likely to make a sale.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2010, 03:39 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

The first thing I can say to Hawstamper is please don't be frustrated. I've done several craft fairs and there is no way to know who will be the customers and what will sell. That is what makes doing a Craft Fair fun!

I sell cards, card sets, post it note holders, gift card holders, coasters, altered comp books and altered wood items. In all of the fairs that I have done, not one item was a big repeat seller. One Friday night, I sold out of gift card holders and had another fair on Sunday. I was up for 36 hours (well, maybe got 2 hours of sleep) remaking the holders. I didn't sell one on Sunday! :o) At a fair this spring, (outside and windy) I spent more time chasing my cards around the parking lot than I spent selling things. :o) This is what makes it fun....

dhb1281 your items are lovely as well as your set ups. Unless you have done a fair, you can not really appreciate the work that goes into a good display. An easy on the eye, quick for the customer to determine what you are selling is the best. I agree with tchk....please stop by and chat with me. Take my business card and remember me. Pass on that you saw me to your friends. In today's world, it is all about networking and exposure. Most craft fairs are done as a Benefit for an organization and many individuals (as well as the vendors) are supporting the organization. I always make sure that I have a nice basket of cards as a donation to raffle off to attendees....again exposure for the future. I've done upscale fairs and thrown together fairs. There is just no way of knowing what you will sell....just as there is no way to know who you will meet for the future. I've learned to develop a tough skin and don't get upset if people don't buy. I appreciate the reinforcement of job well done. Perhaps, the people in attendance just didn't need a Birthday Card that day?!?

Everyone who stops by my booth is treated equally....regardless of whether I think they are going to buy or not. I chat with everyone and answer their questions about how I made the item if they ask. You are never going to get rich in dollars working a craft fair. But, it is the exposure, the contacts, the additional ideas and people you meet that are the payment. Every craft fair, I have the same goal...cover the cost of my table and the rest is gravy. I measure the success more by the contact that I make.

Hawstamper, don't give up! One Fair this spring, I didn't sell a thing and the next week I was back at another fair and did well. Did you have fun making the items? Did you have fun meeting the people? Think about what you learned and ideas you gained from others at the fair....measure your success in those terms. You did something that not many people can do....you participated in an event for a worthy cause! Congrats on your success!
www.cindyleek.myctmh.com
"Never look back unless you are planning to go that way." Thoreau
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2010, 03:59 AM   #28  
Kookie Creator

What tchk did was give an insight to the customer's point of view. As sellers, we should know something about consumer behaviourism.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2010, 04:29 AM   #29  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

In all honesty I think people just don't have the extra money to spend at craft fairs. For me it all depends on what time of year it is. For example, right now I'm trying to save money for some school shopping for my children and towards the end of the year I'm saving for Christmas.

Another thing to take into consideration is your area, the people in my area would never pay $5 for a card, they'd go to the dollar store first and get 2/$1.00.

So to the op, don't be discouraged. Over the years I've read here (in the forums) that some do very well at craft fairs and some don't. There are several different factors that make selling a success. Someone posted a link (above) to a great craft fair thread here with lots of great tips.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2010, 05:08 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

sam
I know my post is off the subject, but this made me think of something I had read about giving kitties or puppies away.... An example of the ad might read "Free kitties: 3 adorable and 1 ugly." I guess it worked like a charm! LOL People wanted the unique, "ugly" kitty. Of course, I realize we would not want to advertise our cards as ugly....

Just Monkeying Around....
I design for: Bugaboo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2010, 06:16 AM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the event Tchk attended was not meant as a Craft Fair as is understood in this thread. The event she attended was a charity event meant to raise money for some specific purpose. So that kind of event can't be compared with what is being discussed in this thread.

I do go to a local craft fair near me 2x a year. The only thing I purchase is a couple items from the same vendor or two that I couldn't possibly make my self. (corian piece in a dog or cat shape, screen printed tote bag or rug)

The other vendors I just slowly walk by and look but don't make it obvious I have interest. I feel it's unfair to engage in conversation about their wares if I have no intention of making a purchase. Truly I am only looking to get ideas.

I make greeting cards, so why would I want to purchase cards from someone else? That to me would be silly. I could make the same thing or better.

Most people who purchase at a craft fair are there to support particular vendors or are people who are not crafters themselves. Many will pay the high prices not really knowing the value of the products involved.

A small notebook/pad purchased at the dollar store that a person has adhered a few embellishments to is not worth $5 plus.

Items need to be priced and made based on the geographic area they are going to be sold in. Just because you spent $5 on embellishments for the item does not mean you can charge that or above. You need to purchase your supplies in bulk to get quality items, but at a reasonable price. Then in turn you can sell the items you make with those pieces at a price people are willing to pay.

I'm not sure people's ability to purchase is based on the money in their pocket. I believe it's based more on what they perceive the items to be worth. If an item of interest to them is made with all paper products (yes most embellishments are paper), then to many it is only a paper item. Therefore they are not going to pay multiple dollars for that item.

Let's be reasonable.....a card is a card, not the gift or a piece of artwork. It is a card. The more items put on it don't make it more valuable, it just makes it a heavier card. The maker of that card yes, takes pride in it as they should, but the receiver or purchaser of it, most times sees it as a card.

We could go on and on about this topic as there truly is no end to this discussion. The value of an item no matter how it's made or where it's sold is in the eye of the person making it or purchasing it.

Many vendors selling at a craft fair are in it for the business and travel around the country to various craft fairs. They do much better in some locations than in others. It all depends on the location of the craft fair, the advertising done prior to the fair and the reputation of said fair.

These are just my thoughts so please don't quote me on them. Just like anyone else I am entitled to speak too.

I do not nor would I participate as a vendor in any craft fair or sell what I make. I prefer to create and make cards and altered items for the pleasure of the person receiving them.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2010, 06:23 AM   #32  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

Jen, just wondering.....you said you paid a table fee for the event.....were they charging the shoppers to enter the event? This has been a recent trent in the "Ladies' Night" events in my area. Shoppers are promised wine and cheese and a night of fun and shopping. PLUS the vendors are charged for their tables. So the event hosts are making $$$ from both ends, the "shoppers" come and eat and drink their entrance fee's worth, then they don't want to spend on the vendors' items. I would rather pay some extra $$$ to cover the cost of food and wine, and have the shoppers come in for free and BUY from us. I won't be doing any more events where they charge the shoppers.
Other than that, don't give up, have business cards handy. Lots of times I get calls from people who maybe didn't buy at the event, but order from me later.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2010, 06:48 AM   #33  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

I just want to toss in my 2 cents too

I'm going to sell my cards at our church's Christmas Boutique this fall and this thread has made me nervous Oh well, I'll still give it a try, but a few things on this thread has given me pause but food for thought.

In my situation, I'll be selling around Thanksgiving/Christmas time. Generally there isn't much money to go around at that time of year. So many gifts to buy and food to make. There isn't much left over for pleasure spending. So I am not expecting much in sales. But I am looking at the responces about people looking and not buying your items at your booths. Here's what kind of came to mind (and forgive me if I offend anyone, but I'm just tossing out thoughts here) :

Think about it, if they were to purchase from Every booth they came accross, the money spent would be embarrassing. And maybe they came but couldn't buy much at all anyway. I know I have a short spending leash at times (especially during holidays).

Another thing I thought of, and this is where I will come across as harsh and extremely rude, but, maybe they already bought cards from another vendor or craft show and don't need anymore. Or (*Gulp*) they don't really like our cards well enough to want to buy them, or think they are over priced. Each one of us has a particular "taste" we like. I mainly make painted and layered cards, but I know many Ladies love the CAS look or a "country" look, but I don't make them and sell them. Maybe an attendee wanted a CAS and mine were too "busy". I can handle that, but I have to keep that in mind if I don't sell any, so I don't get too disappointed.

I know I am sounding like a brat and offending everyone, but this not meant to be so, honest! It's just a few thoughts that came to mind when I was reading this thread.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2010, 08:37 AM   #34  
Compulsive Stamper

pjw2855

I had more to say but not as eloquently as you put it.

Thank you for your intelligent and informative response.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2010, 08:54 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

I dont do crafts shows any more because it just seems like I am wasting my time. I have found some other lucrative avenues of selling my cards. The basket on my hubbys desk is very popular and routinely generates $75.00 to $125.00 per week at non-holiday times. During holiday times this figure can be quite a bit higher. I make what I want to make and it sells..I keep a great variety in the basket usually around 100 cards there at a time. I rotate them out every few months if they are not sold. I also found two swim teams that I sell 1250 cards to per season/year. Those two teams alone net me over $5000 in the fall. I know that schools are a great place to sell your cards. If you know a teacher, they will sell like crazy. One of my friends is a teacher and she has a gold mine on her hands..I often just give her cards to help her make some money. She is a single parent and can use all the help she can get. blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2010, 08:59 AM   #36  
Gallery Gazer

yep, teachers are some of my best customers. I take a basket in to the staff room 3 times a year or so and they sell quickly. Not as many as Amber puts in, though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2010, 09:54 AM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't know...maybe I am a pollyanna, but I do think what WE do IS art. Oh maybe not "fine" art, but art is in the eye of the beholder. If a card is just a card, why I am spending all morning perfecting my water color technique? If a card is just a card, why did a friend of mine one time show me every card I ever sent her? She said that she is trying to figure out a way to display them. She, too, is a card maker and said that she has kept them to learn from and enjoy in the future. I've had others also share that they have kept my cards. If someone that I sent a card to said "it is just a card" they would never receive another one...or they would get a dollar store card....

I expressed in an earlier post that I perceive that the point of a craft fair is to share with "customers" and fellow vendors. I enjoy what I do and hope that others who are vendors also enjoy what they do. A craft fair is just that...it is a place to show off what you do. If I sell something and help someone else spread a smile that is great and makes me exceedingly happy. There are so many variables at a Craft Fair...many have already been posted here...position of booth, mood of the fair, weather, advertisement, other vendors....the list is extensive.

The value of an item is determined by what someone is willing to pay for what you are offering. The market is driven by what people perceive they need at that particular moment in time. In so many cases, it has nothing to do with the quality of the product....anybody remember the Pet Rock? :o) Someone earlier alluded that we need to know the behaviors of our buyers...so true.

To come full circle and once again to respond to Hawstamper's OP...Craft Fairs aren't for everyone. At first, when someone looked at my offerings and didn't say anything I was offended...."you could at least say 'hello'" was my thought. I learned that if someone doesn't buy, it has nothing to do with me. It has everything to do with what they are looking for at that particular moment. Let's face it, it takes "guts" to put your work, your heart and soul, on display to be adjudicated (purchased) by others. Jen, I have shared your frustration and applaud your effort. I have learned over the time that I have done craft fairs that it is totally out of my control what will happen on any given day. If you can answer "yes" to any of the questions I posed in my previous post, then try another craft fair....see what happens....it could open a new door for you.

Art is defined as "process or product of deliberately arranging elements in a way to affect the senses or emotions" (Wikipedia.) We have certainly achieved that is this thread.
www.cindyleek.myctmh.com
"Never look back unless you are planning to go that way." Thoreau
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2010, 01:48 PM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

In my experience, SSS -- Simple Stuff Sells -- just look at what the professionals sell. It is all much simpler than what most of us produce. And cheaper to produce!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2010, 07:25 PM   #39  
Cardstock Collector

Wow... was I surprised to see the responses to my post from Saturday. Thank you everyone for letting me know your thoughts. I appreciate everyone's opinions.

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who experiences low sales on first time out. I think what most frustrated me is the time spent on creating the items. A lot of late nites ( after working my "real" job) ,creating, making sure you have enough items. And then to attend and not even cover the cost of the vendor fee... thats what frustrated me. I am not mad at people for commenting and not buying ... The comments mean that my stuff is good. I was just HOPEFUL for more buying customers... thats all - a girl can dream right.

Also with this being my first time, I spent a lot of money on buying stuff to display my items in a desirable fashion. I was very lucky to have my FH make me a display that displayed my cards and coasters at the same time. I will have to post a picture of it one day. It was really nice once the coasters and cards were displayed on it !

All I ever wanted to do was make some of my money back, thats all.

Its been a few days since the posting my OP, and you know what, I have had time to think about it and now know that it is okay. My name is out there ( people did take my business card) . My FH and I are going to find other shows that I can participate in and see what happens. This show was my first and truly an eye opener to how much goes into this. But, now that I have spent a lot of the "inital" cost to setting up, maybe doing others in the year won't be so bad. OH well, there are always other shows to participate in right ?

Again thanks for everyone's "2 cents", everyones point of view is appreciated greatly !

Thanks
Jen

P.S. To answer Nancystamps question - The vendors paid a table fee of $30 per table to participate, shoppers were not charged at the door. The organizers of the sale also had a promotion that the first 70 people in the door would get a goodie bag full of items (coupons for free items from local businesses) . So shoppers came in for free and also got something for free for coming.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2010, 07:50 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Jen, sorry for your hard work and then disappointment. Please don't be discouraged about the quality of your things, just because they didn't sell.

Like everyone says, when the economy is tight people aren't so willing to pay for "non-essential" items I think.

I did about 6 craft fairs last year for the first (and last) time. Mine started in November and ran right up to the week before Christmas. Many of them were at large metro churches where the shows were advertised heavily and very well attended. My sales were pretty disappointing overall.

Like you said, many people stopped and looked and made wonderful comments about all my things. How lovely, cute, well-made, darling (fill in the blank.) Then they smiled and walked on to the next booth.

Then you also had the "sour-pusses) who looked at everything very critically and then said to their friend, "Well, I could make that."

I had one lady who cracked me up. She was examining some gift-card holders I made, very cute,with ribbon handles, looked like little purses and actually opened up with a place for the gift-card inside. They came with a matching envelope. I had them priced at $4, and actually had sold quite a few of them.

She glared at me and said, "Well, when I was making stuff like this, I sold it for A Dollar!" I just looked at her and smiled and said, "Good for you!"

I worked very very hard getting ready for those shows, spent gas getting there and back, and hours standing in my booth for very little money in return. I met some lovely people (other vendors and crafters) and enjoyed that part of the shows.

But I've decided that from now on I will make things for love, not money. No more craft fairs for me, except possibly as a customer.

Your items are GORGEOUS! Your lack of sales had nothing to do with you. I think someone else said it also, I believe priorities have changed in this country. More and more people are only buying what they need and not so much what they want.
Reply With Quote Likes