Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-04-2009, 11:42 PM   #121  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, here's my 2 cents worth. I'm not for or against digit stamping. I've done posters using clip art and it's not a stretch to go to cards. However, I want to point out some observations from experience. #1. If you do digit stamping, especially if you do background paper the cost of your ink will sky rocket. I know because I have been printing in color quite a bit ( I like hard copies and will explain why later). #2 I have a portable hard drive ( large flashdrive) that I store stamping stuff on. I safed on one computer, but when I tried to access it later on another computer I couldn't.With the computers changing rapidly, any storage device you have( flashdrive, harddrives, computers, disks) may not be able to be accessed in the future and probably the near future. ( now you know why I like hard copies) #3 I don't think you will be able to resell or trade your digital images. Wood stamps, clear stamps, and unmounted stamps will be around forever or at least until you decide to sell or trade them or die. So as far as digital images go. If I run across one I simply have to have, I will probably get it, but I won't go looking for it or searching for it which is half the fun in stamping. I don't think you can put down anyone for any art form. There are just different media for different folks. I like wooden, clear, and unmounted stamps. They relax me. I am at a computer at least half of my work day. I'd rather use it for socializing or learning here on SC not stamping

sam
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2009, 10:33 AM   #122  
Stazon Splitcoast

I do not have any problem with using printed images in a card. However, NO I do not think it is a "stamped" image. You didn't ink it, you didn't use a stamp, it's not stamping. It's printing and using the printed image. There is NOTHING wrong at all with using digital images - I've been making cards on a computer for years and I see nothing wrong with printing images and words and incorporating them on a card - after all, we use rub ons and vellum with images and words on them all the time and no one seems anything wrong with that. They were made by a computer too! ... But I wouldn't call it "stamping". That's like using the iron on adhesive for hems and saying you "sewed" it. You didn't sew it. There's no thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2009, 12:09 PM   #123  
Stampin' Fool

If it does not have rubber with ink on it, it is not a STAMPED image. If you print an image from the computer and printer it is a computer/digital image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2009, 12:32 PM   #124  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by allensmView Post
Well, here's my 2 cents worth. I'm not for or against digit stamping. I've done posters using clip art and it's not a stretch to go to cards. However, I want to point out some observations from experience. #1. If you do digit stamping, especially if you do background paper the cost of your ink will sky rocket. I know because I have been printing in color quite a bit ( I like hard copies and will explain why later). #2 I have a portable hard drive ( large flashdrive) that I store stamping stuff on. I safed on one computer, but when I tried to access it later on another computer I couldn't.With the computers changing rapidly, any storage device you have( flashdrive, harddrives, computers, disks) may not be able to be accessed in the future and probably the near future. ( now you know why I like hard copies) #3 I don't think you will be able to resell or trade your digital images. Wood stamps, clear stamps, and unmounted stamps will be around forever or at least until you decide to sell or trade them or die. So as far as digital images go. If I run across one I simply have to have, I will probably get it, but I won't go looking for it or searching for it which is half the fun in stamping. I don't think you can put down anyone for any art form. There are just different media for different folks. I like wooden, clear, and unmounted stamps. They relax me. I am at a computer at least half of my work day. I'd rather use it for socializing or learning here on SC not stamping
I just store mine online. I created a gmail account that just houses my digital files, images, patterns, etc. When I get a new one, I just email it to myself with the proper name and info...then when I want to access it, I can access it from anywhere in the world. Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2009, 01:09 PM   #125  
Compulsive Stamper

Smile Digital vs Stamping?

I feel that Digital is a form of Paper Crafting; Altered Art is another form of Paper Crafting. I feel you have to physically stamp for it to be considered Stamping. I'm a stamper, but not all of my cards are stamped. They are still paper crafts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2009, 01:10 PM   #126  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

I have some digital "stamps," and I've used them with very good results. I've also made some digital scrapbook pages. I don't consider them really stamping or scrapbooking. Digital stamps are clip art. They are very well made, but they are still clip art. Completely digital scrapbooking is desktop publishing. Again, this can be done very well, and it does take skill and talent; but it isn't scrapbooking to me. This is how I see things. I don't consider myself "prejudiced" against either one. Whatever floats your boat; it's all good. :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2009, 01:12 PM   #127  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HECK YA! In my humble opinion, they open up a whole new world of creative possibilities: resizing recolouring layering...

You can even emboss them *on certain papers* that resist a little to keep the printer ink wet long enough to put embossing powder on it. :O) (vellum cardstock, certain metallics, and anything sealed with gesso, gel medium, or a similar product called "digital ground") Even embossing in white will work (on the right black or dark paper) /silver /gold embossing etc... Emboss resist... Heat'n'stitck & glitter or fun flock them, any thing you do with regular stamps (and more!)

You can make your own digital patterned paper (using the images as photoshop brushes), stamp patterns over them (or print digi patterns over stamped images) Make the images into large shapes for box fronts...or album cover shapes... or turn the image into templates for paper piecing or shaped card templates.

re COPICs: If you want to play, consider using your Copic broad tip (or the chisel end) maybe? IF you don't use them for other things already. Then no harm done to the brush end. I always figure the tips are replaceable, but I'm abnormal, hehehe. ;o) I love to colour digis done in white embossing powder on dark cardstock.

and the best part
... you can draw your own or support other artistes. ;o)

Okay, I'm done ranting--SO sorry this is obnoxiously long. I just love them so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2009, 02:09 PM   #128  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with the "digital images are not stamping" side. It is what it is (as somebody said). It is a craft of it's own. I love my stamping and I use digital images for some things, like my ATCs but I don't see how you can compare it to stamping. To me it's like comparing apples and oranges.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2009, 02:51 PM   #129  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 254 Likes on 137 Posts

I want to reply to the original question and say that using digital images is not stamping. That being said, is it no less an art or paper craft than some of the cards I've seen that use no stamps or digital images--use only photos, made entirely with punches or die cuts, have iris folding or tea bag folding, or been stitched, pierced, or done with spirelli. All of these, as well as the digital images are beautiful and I love seeing them and receiving them, but none of them are stamped projects. I'm a stamper, and love making my own backgrounds, embellishments, etc. with stamps, but also include punches, dry embossing, and other things to my cards. I do very little coloring of my stamps and collect few stamps that need that process as I truly love experimenting with different effects and techniques of stamping. I even carve many of my own images. I think there is room in this wonderful world of crating for all styles and methods. We can find inspiration in any of these expressions (as well as in a beadspread or paper towel!) Just don't call it stamping when it isn't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2009, 04:00 PM   #130  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsjlloveView Post
I just store mine online. I created a gmail account that just houses my digital files, images, patterns, etc. When I get a new one, I just email it to myself with the proper name and info...then when I want to access it, I can access it from anywhere in the world. Hope that helps!
Sorry for the hijack, but I have a question.

I easily get behind on technology. Could you please add more information about this gmail account? Or pm me, please. Thanks. I am also looking for some place to "keep" some of my cards - I currently upload everything to my gallery here, as kind of an insurance, but I feel like I am overusing this generous site.

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2009, 06:07 PM   #131  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was talking to my brother about caligraphy which he does beautifully while I am good if I can print legibly! He recommended I print out my sentiments on paper from the computer... and I think I may start doing so when I have the project preplanned. I don't currently have a printer (ok, I do but it sucks), but I can occasionally do it at work or my sisters if I think ahead. My biggest reasons for not doing digital at this point in my life is not owning a decent printer and my tendency to make things up as I go along. I use to make computer cards YEARS ago when the color printers were $830 and I spent my whole income tax return buying one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2009, 07:24 PM   #132  
Rubber Obsessor

I won't say I'll never have an interest in digital stamping but for me right now I don't consider it stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2009, 06:05 AM   #133  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
Using digital "stamps" or using any kind of clipart isn't stamping. It just isn't. It's making use of a digital image. And there's nothing wrong with it!! I just don't like it being called stamping.

I have a very strong background in computers and the fact that it's digital does not "scare" me in the least.

One reason I'll never be a fan of digital images for cardmaking/crafting is that I love to experiment with different techniques. That's a huge reason I love stamps. I could draw my own images and photocopy or scan them; I have a ton of stamped images sent by friends or traded for. But I don't want to work with preprinted images.... I like to stamp.

I still remember the first time I put stamp to ink pad and then to paper. There was something very satisfying in that experience. Beautiful images from wood-mounted stamps. Beautiful images from clear stamps --- and seeing the ink transfer to the paper, too!!

When I walk into store with stamps, I feel happy. Just like walking into a store with books LOL!! If I have a quick minute before bed, or before running out the door for something, I can stop briefly where I stamp, and sit .... and see the stamps.. see the potential... SEE the art. And it makes me happy.

That's me. There are loads of people who are loving the convenience and ease of digital art and I say, "Go for it!" If that's what floats your boat... it sure isn't going to bother me!! I would prefer you not refer to them as stamps. I won't.

Enjoy your digital art -- as they say: Use 'em if you got 'em, LOL!! I don't think you'd hear much about it from others if you didn't call them stamps ;).
Phantom, I so agree with you. In the early days, before I started stamping, I made cards with clipart images and colored them. So for me it's going backwards.

I work in information technology and I don't want to "play" on the computer when I get home. I need the feel of the stamp in my hand, the smell of ink, etc.

If I just have to have an image and I can't find a stamp, I could see using digi but, then I'm not stamping, I'm paper crafting. But, so long as it makes the user happy, it really doesn't matter to me, but it will never be stamping until you use a stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2009, 11:42 AM   #134  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Microglaze Copic Colouring

Love the prismacolour over Copics on digital images.

About microglaze. I'm so tickled to have people mention the microglaze thing. Thank You! :O) I just wanted to add a wee caveat or two & let everyone know that the microglaze will waterproof, and so it'll give you an unusual mottled texture with Copics. It may put some residue on your marker tips, so if either of these things don't sound okay to you, you may not want to use it. :O) Here's a card I made with it... http://melstampz.blogspot.com/2009/0...dor-other.html

It's a more random free-form colouring that I like, but it's unpredictable & affected by the amount of microglaze you add. I loved that about it, but I don't really use the traditional method for Copic colouring very often. Sorry if anyone thought it was something different. I hope you like it if you try it out. :O)

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeth1View Post
Thanks, I'll check out the Microglaze. The problem I find with some of these sealers or artist fixes is that they have wax in the formula which is what seals the paper and ink. My understanding from the Copic website is that you shouldn't use any wax under your markers. That's why they recommend you use your Copic markers first then go over them with Prismacolor pencils to shade. There is wax in the Prismacolor pencil and they warn that it can mess up your Copics by using the Prismacolor pencils first. Since it took me almost a year to get enough money saved up so that I could buy all my Copics, I sure don't want to do anything to mess them up.

While I understand that you can fix the problem by embossing the images by going over them with a Versamark pen and using a heat gun and embossing powder, that's more work than I want to put into using a digi image.

So I guess what I'm saying is if it doesn't work as easily for me as inking up a rubber stamp with Memento ink then coloring, I just can't get too excited about using them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2009, 12:23 PM   #135  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

LOL! Fascinating!

It seems that many are disturbed by what appears to be, I guess, a matter of semantics . . . ?

Semantics can be argued and debated at length, of course. ;)

On the one hand, the term "digital stamps" is considered by many to be a misnomer, because the image isn't reproduced via a manual, hand-stamped process, but rather by a mechanical process.

On the other hand, Dover Clip art books and CDs feature gorgeous imagery that was originally illustrated/rendered by an artist. The fact that it was then converted to a clip art/digital format does not make it any less artful.

However, it seems the term "clip art" may be considered derogatory by those who have their original illustration work converted to a digital format (or those fond of the format).

Can a happy meeting of the minds be found?

Stay tuned for next week's webisode:

Is an e-card really a card?

*chuckle* ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #136  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoManningView Post
Hi Janny, although people may CHOOSE to use clip art on their crafts if they wish, these (like mine) are NOT clip art. As more professional artists like myself discover they can sell their illustrations digitally -- the more you will see the huge difference. The web-savvy people putting iffy artwork up right now and calling it “digital stamps” will be pushed aside eventually as some of the amazingly talented artists (like the hundreds I know) begin to realize there is a market here. That's GREAT news for you crafters.

I don’t know if it’s the small price that makes some people think these are just “clip” teehee! But the Angel Policy I sell is extremely specific and limited whereas with clipart you can do anything you want -- forever.

For instance, like with rubber stamps, these illustrations are only for the handmade craft market and may not be printed and distributed in any way other than as hand-colored images. Like rubber stamped images, they cannot be digitally colored and color-printed, and the colored prints sold. I continue to own all rights to them and my copyright must stay with them – unlike in clip art where the images were sold who-knows how long ago and the artist has been long forgotten. Also, unlike clip art, the illustrations are highly specific and character driven -- not just generic cartoons that can be multipurpose for a variety of projects from yellow page ads to your company brochure to a newsletter -- to a card.

I’ve been approached already this month by a couple of rubber stamp companies wanting me to “sell them” my images. Honestly, unless an artist has their own rubber stamp company, that’s a TERRIBLE deal. I make no apologies to them when I say that I’m interested in selling my images myself, digitally.

xoMo
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on the terminology. ;) I don't know about anyone else, but when I use the term "clip art," I am not using it with a negative connotation. I don't turn my nose up at anything that is done well, no matter what the means. I am amazed by all the gorgeous digital images that are being created by such talented people. I wish you much success with your business.

And no, Julie, an e-card is NOT really a card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2009, 12:50 PM   #137  
Kookie Creator

When I was looking into having clear stamps made by Stewart Superior, the art guidelines they provided to me specified the file format for the art, the resolution, the file size and the base image file right down to the pixel size. In other words, quite a bit of the manufacturing process of a clear stamp involves "digital". It is thanks to a digital process that we can enjoy putting the stamp to ink and then onto paper.

I have been using some digital images recently on my cards. I don't pretend to think that I am "stamping". However, I don't see anything wrong with calling them digital stamps. They have to be called something! It is kind of like we "drive on a parkway" and we "park on a driveway". So those things weren't quite named accurately, and yet we all know what someone is talking about. Maybe we just can say that "yes" it is digital, "no" it is not a stamp as we know a stamp to be, but the image ends up on paper and from that point on, the coloring, piecing, cutting, etc. is pretty much the same regardless of how the image got onto the paper. It is nice that there are so many variations and options in papercrafting. We can all find materials and methods that satisfy our need to create, and make the process enjoyable.
-Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2009, 01:50 PM   #138  
Crimping Master

Default Let the creativity live on!

Well I think this is all a bit of semantics. If you don't actually stamp anything then how can it be really, truly and technically called stamping. That is a narrow look at the word. However, if you wish to interpret the word 'stamping' to mean an industry as a whole, I guess you could say it is?! Okay, I got that over with. Blast me if you wish!

To me the meat of the discussion is around the use of computers and digital images in cardmaking/scrapbooking. For me a computer is another piece of equipment that can be used to pursue your art and vision. Whether you choose to use it is simply a matter of preference. It could depend on what one likes to do, the type of card being made, or even just practical issues like the access to equipment and materials. I have made whole cards by just using a computer, such as finding pictures and images; using software to flip, crop, colour and to apply effects; and to down load fonts and make sayings. Other times I will only use the basic supplies of plain card stock, stamps and inks to create backgrounds and the main element.

Art is a very personal matter - what one finds as art another will not. I love what people come up, the time they invest, and they creativity they display. Just because something isn't my personal taste or what I would do, doesn't by any means make it less wonderful! In fact, maybe it will challenge me to try something else.

I have found the majority of the comments here are very positive and I have been impressed by that fact.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2009, 05:53 PM   #139  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

digi images make it so much easier in some cases, i.e., you can size, etc. However, I, pesonally do not like them and don't consider them part of stamping. That's not to say it's not a great thing as others have said, some will like it, some will not. I like getting out my stamps and inks and embossing powders and going for it. I did try a couple, and while I colored them in, the same as I do my stamped images, it reminded me of a coloring book since I had not stamped it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2009, 06:25 PM   #140  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Wow. Well you know a stamped image is clip art too, right?
(Wow?) No, I don't consider stamped images to be clip art. Anyway, I really don't wish to debate this anymore. If you want to consider digital images as stamped images, you have every right to do so. I can also choose to view things the other way around. To each her own, whatever floats your boat, etc., etc. And I really do wish you well. Like I said, it's all good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2009, 07:51 PM   #141  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
(Wow?) No, I don't consider stamped images to be clip art. Anyway, I really don't wish to debate this anymore. If you want to consider digital images as stamped images, you have every right to do so. I can also choose to view things the other way around. To each her own, whatever floats your boat, etc., etc. And I really do wish you well. Like I said, it's all good.
But as so many have stated, your stamp started out as so-called "clip-art." It's part of the stamp making process.

Inkspots101 my crafting blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2009, 08:00 PM   #142  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Hi Janny, although people may CHOOSE to use clip art on their crafts if they wish, these (like mine) are NOT clip art. As more professional artists like myself discover they can sell their illustrations digitally -- the more you will see the huge difference. The web-savvy people putting iffy artwork up right now and calling it �digital stamps� will be pushed aside eventually as some of the amazingly talented artists (like the hundreds I know) begin to realize there is a market here. That's GREAT news for you crafters.

I don�t know if it�s the small price that makes some people think these are just �clip� teehee! But the Angel Policy I sell is extremely specific and limited whereas with clipart you can do anything you want -- forever.

For instance, like with rubber stamps, these illustrations are only for the handmade craft market and may not be printed and distributed in any way other than as hand-colored images. Like rubber stamped images, they cannot be digitally colored and color-printed, and the colored prints sold. I continue to own all rights to them and my copyright must stay with them � unlike in clip art where the images were sold who-knows how long ago and the artist has been long forgotten. Also, unlike clip art, the illustrations are highly specific and character driven -- not just generic cartoons that can be multipurpose for a variety of projects from yellow page ads to your company brochure to a newsletter -- to a card.

xoMo
I am another one who does not mean anything negative when I use the phrase "clip art". (though I don't think I've ever referred to digistamps as clip art)

Not all clip art is iffy artwork or cheap (or free). I like this one for example:
http://www.clipartof.com/details/clipart/34267.html
This is high quality resolution (300 dpi), but there is also a resolution-independent (EPS) option for $80!!! Also, the artist's name is listed, so he hasn't been forgotten.

Also, clip art does also come with restrictions in some cases (for businesses anyway):
http://clip-art-review.toptenreviews...n-illegal.html

I DO see how the phrase "clip art" CAN have a negative connotation however. Lots of images came up that I didn't like AT ALL. I did have to slog through a lot of gorgeous (but low-resolution) clip art, and lots of high-resolution (300 dpi) but not-so-gorgeous clip art to find this beauty. In my search, I also did come across some of those "web-savvy" people - they did call their images "clip art" but were still selling them and retaining copyright and giving terms of use.

But still, when _I_ use the phrase "clip art" I don't mean anything derogatory by it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2009, 10:20 PM   #143  
Pearl-ExPert

The first time I tried using a digital stamp I hated it. After some practice I have found that they are not so bad. However, I do like the rubber and Acrylic stamps much better. I guess it is just a matter of preference.

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 01:05 AM   #144  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Hi everyone! Peggy Marsh a SCS member (who introduced me exactly four weeks ago to the idea of selling my illustrations to crafters to use on cards) suggested that I register here. I decided to poke around a little tonight (finally) and when I chanced upon Elaine's thread I had to register right away so I could post!!

There seems to be a lot of debate about this technique of using printed images, so I wanted to give you my opinion. First of all they are not stamps of course, since no one is stamping anything. Second, they are MOST DEFINITELY not clip art any more than a rubber stamp's image is. That term really is an insult (I’m sure it's not meant that way) to anyone like me. I agree though, I've seen some of the "digital stamps" out there and they're not always impressive . . . that's what happens when ANYONE can draw something, call it a digital stamp and put it up for sale in half a minute.

I've hand-drawn each illustration on my blog with the same intent and care that I draw the illustrations in each of my trade books. When you buy one of my illustrations, you're getting the same exact type of file (digital) at the same resolution (300 dpi) that my publishers get. I am selling rights ONLY to you as hand-crafters to use in your one-of-a-kind creations.

We've been having this debate in the children's illustration field for a few years now. Does it cheapen the art to do parts (or all) of it digitally? What we’re all realizing is that it’s the thought process behind the technique that is what’s important. Is pen better than pencil drawing? Is oil better than watercolor? Of course not, they’re all just media – and if you choose to work primarily in pastel, that’s fine! If you choose a rubber stamp over a printed illustration for your card – that’s equally fine. If you use both . . . I love you!

One interesting note. Even many of the most staunchest traditionalists I know are investing in computers to scan in their sketches. Someone asked in this thread about the “perfect printer.” My printer is the Epson Photo Stylus 2200 (which has been replaced by another cheaper by 50% model – grrr! called the Epson Photo Stylus 1400) Its inks are water-resistant and archival to 100 years. Illustrators are taking their pencil drawings and scanning them into Photoshop and then printing them out on watercolor paper with this printer then painting with whatever medium they like. What I’m saying is, by using digis (another term I don’t really like but will try to live with if the crafting world decrees it) a crafter is using the EXACT same technique a professional trade book illustrator uses to color their illustration.

I predict that in the not too distant future (once the rubber stamp companies realize what's happening) all our favorite rubber stamps will be available to us as either rubber – or as an additional choice – a digital download. And maybe more exciting, more professional illustrators will offer their work to you than can afford to get their art manufactured in rubber.

xoMo

Interestering thread hero arts and kaiser have started to release digi products

Do not regret growing older, it is a privilege denied to many.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 09:21 AM   #145  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by creatingisfunView Post
i think thats where people get confused.
they think we make the card on the computer but we dont, the only thing we do is print the image, and make a card like we would any other card.
we can still do all kinds of techniques, we can even watercolor images.
Question on the digital - do you just print it out on the computer or do you need something like the Silhouette to cut it out?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 09:44 AM   #146  
Stazon Splitcoast

the images you just print out on cardstock, I use the GP from walmart, and color it in like you would any other image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2009, 11:56 AM   #147  
Embossing Fanatic

Wink drive on the parkway & park on the driveway!

Quote:

Originally Posted by itzannView Post
When I was looking into having clear stamps made by Stewart Superior, the art guidelines they provided to me specified the file format for the art, the resolution, the file size and the base image file right down to the pixel size. In other words, quite a bit of the manufacturing process of a clear stamp involves "digital". It is thanks to a digital process that we can enjoy putting the stamp to ink and then onto paper.

I have been using some digital images recently on my cards. I don't pretend to think that I am "stamping". However, I don't see anything wrong with calling them digital stamps. They have to be called something! It is kind of like we "drive on a parkway" and we "park on a driveway". So those things weren't quite named accurately, and yet we all know what someone is talking about. Maybe we just can say that "yes" it is digital, "no" it is not a stamp as we know a stamp to be, but the image ends up on paper and from that point on, the coloring, piecing, cutting, etc. is pretty much the same regardless of how the image got onto the paper. It is nice that there are so many variations and options in papercrafting. We can all find materials and methods that satisfy our need to create, and make the process enjoyable.
-Ann
You must be from Jersey! What exit? LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2009, 02:24 PM   #148  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by itzannView Post

-Ann
I had planned on making my digis into rubber before I actually started selling them and was in contact with a rubber stamp manufacturer. Rubber stamps also start with a digital image at 300dpi or higher. I was to email them the files and they would turn them into rubber stamps.

I don't say or pretend I am stamping the image, when I actually print it out on the computer But I like the term digital stamp becausev- like someone said -it has to have a name, and it was made for paper crafting in mind, just like a traditional stamp. I don't see anything wrong with calling it a digital stamp, because now-a-days there is about digital -anything. (You can even live in a digital world - LOL my friend send me an invitation for playing sorority life - of course I don't have time for that) When I do my sales tax return, I don't actually sign them because I do them online, and they call it a digital signature when I enter my Social Security Number.
It is the same with digital scrapbooks, while some print them out, others just keep them as digitals, they are still called a digital scrapbook, but there is not really a book that you can hold.
This is just my personal opinion.

That said, yesterday I made card with a pretty large rubber stamp.It took many tries to get a somewhat good impression, it was still not perfect but I didn't want to waste any more paper. I can't tell you how much I wished it came digitally, I even went online to check.

I do hope that a lot more artist will create digital stamps, I love the hand drawn images, like penny black "Margaret sherry" images, sarah kay and similar. I don't really like the images that were created just using a computer (whether they are digital stamps or rubber stamps)

Last edited by Ellibelle; 08-08-2009 at 02:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 06:21 PM   #149  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Digital Image vs. Stamped Image

I think they are two very different animals. I don't think there will ever be anything more beautiful or creative than a handstamped scrapbook page or card. It is the "art" aspect that comes through when using stamps, paper, ink, embellishments. While a digitally produced card and/or scrapbook page are very lovely and professional looking, in my mind, they are missing the artistic quality.

Just my two cent worth. I likely will not go quietly into the 'digital age'!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 06:47 PM   #150  
Gabfest Goddess

I may use a digital image, but the cards I make are NOT digitally produced! Everything that goes into making a card with a digital image is the same as that which goes into making a card using a stamped image. I think that's where people have a huge misconception! I still use real paper, embellishments, ribbons, etc. I still color the image using real coloring mediums and tools. The cards have all the dimension and texture of a stamped card. I don't think there's any 'artistry' or creativity missing from the process.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 07:41 PM   #151  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy HeartView Post
I may use a digital image, but the cards I make are NOT digitally produced! Everything that goes into making a card with a digital image is the same as that which goes into making a card using a stamped image. I think that's where people have a huge misconception! I still use real paper, embellishments, ribbons, etc. I still color the image using real coloring mediums and tools. The cards have all the dimension and texture of a stamped card. I don't think there's any 'artistry' or creativity missing from the process.
I think a lot of people are mistaking this as printing out a whole card rather than just an image.

I mean really you end up with the exact same thing either way, an image in black ink ready to color. Rather you hand stamped it or the printer printed it. What you do from there is basically the same. My feelings on what kinds of image I use is based on the image itself and what I like. If I can only find it in red rubber I buy it, or if it is digital only I buy it.

Let me say though that clip art is no better or worse than a digi stamp, as it was drawn by someone somewhere too, and most of it does have strict rules and copyrights that go along with it. Check PC Crafters terms of use if you want to see.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2009, 08:57 PM   #152  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merine HebergerView Post
I think they are two very different animals. I don't think there will ever be anything more beautiful or creative than a handstamped scrapbook page or card. It is the "art" aspect that comes through when using stamps, paper, ink, embellishments. While a digitally produced card and/or scrapbook page are very lovely and professional looking, in my mind, they are missing the artistic quality.

How can you tell the difference between a computer printed image and a stamped image? I know that most of the time, I can't tell. In fact there have been some digitally scrapped pages that are amazing considerng they're "flat." And printing out and using a digital paper is NO different than using patterned paper. I'm sure you'd be surprised to see how many digital artists are now creating and designing paper lines for some very popular companies.

Inkspots101 my crafting blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2009, 09:29 AM   #153  
Rubber Obsessor

I love my digital images. So easy for storage and I love, love the fact that I can size them however I want.
I still need my regular stamps, because a lot of my digi images are in one style (more cutesy) and sometimes I need my stamps for a different type of image.
I like how digital images have opened more options in the card making world.

I use a laser printer to print out the images on my cardstock and use copics or other markers or pencil crayons to colour them in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2009, 09:51 AM   #154  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merine HebergerView Post
... While a digitally produced card and/or scrapbook page are very lovely and professional looking, in my mind, they are missing the artistic quality.

I think with this comment you are insulting a lot of digital scrapbookers and card makers. I for one started out as a digital scrapbooker and I can tell you that I put just as much effort (and pride) into my digital creations as I do with paper. You can't tell me that a digital creation has less artistic quality than a paper made project. In my opinion, it takes a lot more artistic ability to design and create a scrapbook page or card and all the elements from scratch digitally than it does to do it in paper because in paper, all the artistic work (such as drawing the stamp, creating the paper) is already done (probably by someone who did it digitally). I have seen some poorly made paper projects and some absolutely stunning digital projects. Both ART FORMS have artistic qualities and value.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2009, 11:01 AM   #155  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've been reading and I think I've had a change of heart.

I always said, and continue to that both inked stamps and printed images made into cards are art and require talent and design. I've seen t otally beautiful cards done with either medium. I maintain that point.

I HAD objected to the term "digital stamp". I mean not vemonantly or anything, I don't REALLY care, but it seemed wrong to call them stamps.

But I was thinking about it...

Miracle Tape is really darn good tape, but it's not REALLY a miracle.
Scor Pal rocks but as it never returns my phone calls it's not REALLY my pal (I mean the plastic tool doesn't talk to me, I'm SURE if I called Scor Pal they would speak to me haha)
My Bind-it-All does not bind my quilts so it sure doesn't bind "IT ALL"

So as far as a product name goes I guess I've got no beef with "digital stamp" I mean they are created as digital art to use in the stamp world. They are generally used just like a stamp, so why not call 'em digital stamps.

I dunno, maybe all that only makes sense in my head. That happens sometimes.

But for ME working with digital images just isn't as fun. For what it's worth I also don't like working with prestamped images. I bet if you like prestamped imaged you could get real into the digital ones. Or it seems similar to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2009, 11:03 AM   #156  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh and I know this isn't what was originally brought up but I think an entirely digital card can be quite lovely too. And again it requires talent. THAT isn't a talent I personally have, but those girls (and guys) who can do it up right, yall go on ahead.

Same with digital scrapbook pages vs. traditional ones. Love them, love the look, people do a fab job. It's not something that's fun to do for me or that I'm particularly good at though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2009, 05:07 PM   #157  
Mad Swapper

I like digi stamps. I'll use them and I use rubber stamps too. I don't mind either. I think it's a little rude to insist on calling them clip art - especially when there is a definite name for them. There just seems something a little bit elitist about it to me.

My neighbour for example, is an elderly lady and is physically unable to stamp a clear image. But she can colour a digi image and go on to enjoy making lovely cards with them.

She likes to call her cards stamped cards. If you object to calling digi stamps, digi stamps, would you insist to her that her card is simply clipart?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2009, 08:43 PM   #158  
Pearl-ExPert

I have now read through ALL the responses to this and Phantom's response resonates well to me.... I started to highlight in red and gave up because most points are what I think too and you have expressed it so well.

I am a blog group "mum" to those who do not use digital....This is a choice. It is not elitist. It is not prejudiced. It is just a preference. A choice! Much the same as other blog groups have differing requirements....ie...must be a SU demo....must stamp late at night....only for those who post 3 times a week....those who stamp cutesy..... I know I have been bagged as "one of those people"....but do the cutesie girls get bagged too, because they like don't do arty? or the SU people because they only want to see SU? I bet not. All a choice...and hats off to those people who like what they like and get on with it.

For me, it needs to be called something else...just not digital stamping....I have no problem with it being another form of paper crafting! It doesn't scare me. I am not uninformed. I just do not like the concept. Please do not think I am ignorant because I do not like something. Please do not think me ignorant if I think it is NOT the way of the future.

Someone suggested stamping (using rubber) be under the paper crafting mantle too.....maybe...maybe not....I stamp into clay, glass...onto tins....not necessarily using paper at all....making a real stamp very much a versatile tool not restricted to paper.

Give me real stamps and I am happy.

In the end ladies...we all have to become lost in the world of art of our own choice ......

Michelle

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
Using digital "stamps" or using any kind of clipart isn't stamping. It just isn't. It's making use of a digital image. And there's nothing wrong with it!! I just don't like it being called stamping.

I have a very strong background in computers and the fact that it's digital does not "scare" me in the least.

One reason I'll never be a fan of digital images for card making/crafting is that I love to experiment with different techniques. That's a huge reason I love stamps. I could draw my own images and photocopy or scan them; I have a ton of stamped images sent by friends or traded for. But I don't want to work with preprinted images.... I like to stamp.

I still remember the first time I put stamp to ink pad and then to paper. There was something very satisfying in that experience. Beautiful images from wood-mounted stamps. Beautiful images from clear stamps --- and seeing the ink transfer to the paper, too!!

When I walk into store with stamps, I feel happy. Just like walking into a store with books LOL!! If I have a quick minute before bed, or before running out the door for something, I can stop briefly where I stamp, and sit .... and see the stamps.. see the potential... SEE the art. And it makes me happy.

That's me. There are loads of people who are loving the convenience and ease of digital art and I say, "Go for it!" If that's what floats your boat... it sure isn't going to bother me!! I would prefer you not refer to them as stamps. I won't.

Years ago, I was a technical illustrator. I drew from sketches, from vehicles, from blueprints. Not everyone could do what I could do in that field. When the industry started to shift to computers, I shifted too. To computers actually -- but in a different realm. I would have found no joy in sitting at a desk all day manipulating digital images. This is the same sort of thing.

So... as much as I think it's fine if you like it, I was a little surprised to see the comments that many people who like digital art seem to think that those who don't are afraid of or ignorant of the technology. That is not necessarily the case. Sure... for some yes. But for others, it has more to do with the creative process. And still others may have their own other reasons.

Enjoy your digital art -- as they say: Use 'em if you got 'em, LOL!! I don't think you'd hear much about it from others if you didn't call them stamps ;).

ETA:
P.S. Happy Heart, I've always loved your gallery ~ no matter what kind of images you use, a visit to your gallery is bound to put a smile on my face every time
Reply With Quote Likes