Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-15-2011, 06:32 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ??? on Digital Download Designer Paper

Could someone please tell me how this works?

If I order the digital designer paper, does that give me unlimited use of the paper?

Do I need a special program to use the digital download?

Would I be able to just print the paper as I need it? In full 8.5 x 11" size?

How are the colors?

Anyone have any experiences (good &/or bad) they can share with me?

TIA

Work in progress - 27lbs gone.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2011, 07:02 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

I believe most digital paper should have the size in the description, although you could cut to fit. I used to use a lot of it back when I did digital scrapbooking, and really liked the choice of papers and the reasonable cost. As far as unlimited use, there are terms of use with each individual designer's papers that you would have to read, but you can use it over and over, if that was what you were asking. I only had my pages printed professional since they were scrapbook pages, but the colors were wonderful. I think how the colors look when printed will all be a matter of your printer, and having it set correctly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2011, 02:25 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

You don't necessarily need a special program, you probably already have basic picture editing software that came with your computer, or printer. You can view, and print from many kinds of software, including Word or another Word Processor. However, most digital papers come in 12 x 12 size, so printing a full 8 1/2" x 11" won't work. If you try to stretch it to cover the page, it might distort the pattern. I usually print my digital paper to whatever size I will be needing. If I'm making a 6" card, I print the paper 5.75" square. If I need to print on an 8 1/2 x 11 page, I'll only do an 8 1/2" square so the pattern doesn't 'skewed'. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2011, 04:00 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I recently downloaded some digital print SU paper and was very pleased with the color matching with solid cardstock. I used an old Microsoft program (Digital Image Pro) to size it as needed. I liked that I could make the pattern print smaller to fit my project. You can use the paper download as MUCH as you want which makes it nice if it becomes one of your favorites. You can print it to an 8.5x11 size but you will most likely have white margins unless you can set your printer differently. Another plus-- you can make it two sided with patterns of your choice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2011, 07:51 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

I have a Mac so I don't know if this will work on a PC
I bought one Digital DP set from SU to see how it would work. I figured I was only gambling $5 to try it

I bought Nautical Expedition
I DO NOT have the My Design Studio software yet

I just open a blank word document .

Then I go to where I saved the Digital papers and chose one of them.
I "drag and drop" it into my word document . Then I click on it to get the handles so I can resize it to what I want

Works fine
The digital paper is set to print on a 12" x 12" so the print would be far too large for a card. However, as I decrease the size, the print also decreases , so it is perfect!! I am very happy I bought the digi DP instead of the printed paper because most of the prints on the printed paper pack would be too large for a card.
I am loving the digi paper idea . No more prints too large to use on a card. No more wasted paper because I don't like the print.

I do not know if my method of printing the Digi paper will work with Digi paper from other companies, but it definitely works with SU's on a Mac
Maybe someone with a PC can try my method to see if it works for them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2011, 08:00 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

More than a year ago Gina K offered a free Digi paper pack. I downloaded it, but did not know how to use it at the time.

I just tried my method explained above by dragging and dropping into a word document and then resizing it.

It works with Gina K's Digi paper too.
She has some nice digi paper .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2011, 08:08 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Look at all the great Digi paper Gina K has and it is only $3.50.
I would say buy one and try it . We have all wasted a lot more than $3.50 on things that didn't work out as we expected :(

digital paper - Gina K. Designs, LLC
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2011, 10:37 AM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

So just I'm understaning this ..... because I've been wanting to know for along time now....

If I buy SU dig Paper I DO NOT have to have their software to use the paper????????? What about the dig stamps? Does that work the same way
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2011, 11:02 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoChicsCricutView Post
So just I'm understaning this ..... because I've been wanting to know for along time now....

If I buy SU dig Paper I DO NOT have to have their software to use the paper????????? What about the dig stamps? Does that work the same way
You do not have to have the SU software to use any of their digital products. You can use any program that you can open png or jpg files with or import (like MS Word). I haven't used any of their digital products yet, but I am assuming you would need a graphics editing program (like Photoshop Elements, Paintshop Pro, etc) to use the digital stamps and to change the colours otherwise they will just print out in the colours they come in (most likely black or grey).

Also, as far as I can tell from everything that I've read, you can also use other companies digi supplies with the SU software. So if you like Basic Grey digital supplies, or Echo Park, etc., then you can use them.

Last edited by cat_woman; 09-17-2011 at 11:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2011, 12:11 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

I have one free digi from one site and one digi I bought from Whimsy Stamps and I can drag & drop and resize both of them in my word document program. I don't have any SU digi images to try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2011, 12:14 PM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

So awesome ... thank you so much for the information, I think I might try some dig paper today from SU
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2011, 01:33 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh WOW. This info really helps me add to my wishlist! But if I can get multiple uses out of the digi designer paper, that will help hold the $$$ down.

Thanks.

Work in progress - 27lbs gone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2012, 09:17 AM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

Default What paper to buy?

I am new to digi paper but not new to design paper!! I wanted to find some advice on WHAT paper to buy to print out the digi paper so it most closely resembles the weight and look of design paper. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue AltView Post
Oh WOW. This info really helps me add to my wishlist! But if I can get multiple uses out of the digi designer paper, that will help hold the $$$ down.

Thanks.
Don't get too excited about the $$ savings yet - printing these, especially if you're printing full sheets, really eats the printer ink. However, it's worth it when you take into consideration being able to scale the pattern down so that it's more suitable for card-making. Also, it really helps with that paper-hoarding disorder (you know, where you buy 10 sheets of it because you love it so much and might not be able to find it again someday when you actually have something to use it for).

As far as paper to use - I have a pack of Great White 32 lb matte presentation paper that works fabulously well for this. The bad news is, I bought it at a liquidator store and now that I know how well it works, I cannot find more of it anywhere. This is why i have a paper hoarding disorder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,919 Likes on 2,187 Posts

Quote:

So awesome ... thank you so much for the information, I think I might try some dig paper today from SU
I've used SU's digital stamps and you can just insert the images into a word document. So easy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I print a lot of digital papers to use with my card making and I find that it really isn't any more expensive than buying paper - as a matter of fact, I think it may even be cheaper. I worked out the cost to around 75 cents for an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet using the name brand ink (Canon) and presentation paper (Epson brand) or Staples brand brochure paper. Once I switched to a CIS and off brand inks, my costs dropped to about 35 cents. Even more cost savings come in when I only print 1/4 sheets of one design so I have virtually no waste of that particular paper (I print 4 quarter sheets at a time of different designs for a variety). I usually have a big piece of scrap left over after cutting into a new sheet of paper and it takes forever for me to use it up unless I'm making multiples of the same card (which doesn't happen very often). I also don't waste time or gas running around town trying to find the right paper for my project or risk running out at 3am when the stores aren't open. Another nice feature of digis is if you know how to use a graphics editing program (like Paintshop Pro or Photoshop) you can change the colour of your papers to suit whatever colour scheme you want to work with. There are so many beautiful free papers that I don't think you would ever need to buy anything ever again. But, then if we didn't buy them, the designers would quit making them. Check out digital scrapbooking sites. Usually, they will have a freebie or two for you to try out.
Reply With Quote Likes