Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-31-2009, 05:05 PM   #81  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can also alter the image if you want. But most companies ask that you note that the image was altered if you display it in a public forum. If you do alter it make sure you save it as a different file and not overwrite the original.

Tim
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 07:54 PM   #82  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am new to all of this and have never purchased a digi stamp, but I have printed off a lot of free clip art to color for cards...but what I don't understand is the whole 'sharing' of digital stamps. If I purchase a wood or acrylic stamp and my friend wants to borrow it and stamp several to make cards or whatever-it's no big deal. But if I purchase a digital stamp, it's not okay to 'loan' it to my friend? Maybe I'm not understanding something, or missed it (definetly could be)--the makers of wood and acrylic are in the business to make money and someone sat down and created that image. So how is it different? I guess if the digi stamp site says clearly not to 'share' the image then so be it, I struggle to see the difference between the two. I bought the digi stamp. Anyhoo, I'm probably missing something and as I said have never purchased one. So far I have been able to find alot of free art to color and find it a great compliment to my rubber and acrylic stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 11:22 PM   #83  
Polyshrink Goddess

It just goes with the nature of digital elements. So no, you shouldn't be making copies for your friends. You wouldn't photocopy your stamped images would you? That too would be illegal under electronic reporduction. Digital images are cheap enough and as you said there are enough freebies, that one should be able to get their images. A digital image is not the same as a tangible rubber stamp.

Inkspots101 my crafting blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 05:16 AM   #84  
Inking Addict

I think 'sharing' physical stamps is not totally 'legal' either. It takes business away from the seller. I bet all those companies have a no sharing policy but it is hard to print it on the wood, not much room for policies. But digital sellers have to post that so people know it is not acceptable to buy their image and send it to friends. Someone may lend their stamp to one or two nearby friends, but they could send the digital image to their whole online address book. Lots more lost business. Consider how you would feel if you spent hours developing something and then one of your customers sent it to dozens of people who may have bought it from you. It's like the whole online music sharing deal, very widespread, but not very ethical.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 05:34 AM   #85  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've not read through the full thread, so apologies if this was already brought up and my skimming overlooked it. Would you feel better if they were called digital images for stampers?

As for the legality of sharing ... there's a gray area that I think stamp companies recognize. The lighter gray is friends sharing, like teen girls sharing clothes and readers sharing books and cooks sharing recipes. The darker side are the image swaps, no one's making money, but the 'sharing' is in a larger pool. I think most stamp companies know that once we stampers get our hands on something and like it, we need it in our own personal collection ... so in the end, the company makes money on us.

Remember when SU! would get upset when their images were stamped and posted in the gallery (the first snapshot that shows all the stamps in the set) without being incorporated into a card? LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 01:15 PM   #86  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelagrafxView Post
I think 'sharing' physical stamps is not totally 'legal' either. It takes business away from the seller. I bet all those companies have a no sharing policy but it is hard to print it on the wood, not much room for policies. But digital sellers have to post that so people know it is not acceptable to buy their image and send it to friends. Someone may lend their stamp to one or two nearby friends, but they could send the digital image to their whole online address book. Lots more lost business. Consider how you would feel if you spent hours developing something and then one of your customers sent it to dozens of people who may have bought it from you. It's like the whole online music sharing deal, very widespread, but not very ethical.
The thing with a physical stamp is that if you loan it out, you no longer have use of it. The use is only to one person. However, with a digital image, if you "loan" it to a friend, more than likely you still have a copy on your computer and can still access the image. It wouldn't be long before that image is all over the place.

Inkspots101 my crafting blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2009, 09:42 AM   #87  
Stampin' Fool

I guess I'm selfish. I don't let anyone except my grandchildren use my stamps (and even then I'm with them when they do). I don't sell stamps but I don't trade the images out either. I guess I understand people wanting to "swap" images but somehow, in my mind, that seems like you're cheating those who make the stamps or design them out of their rightful earnings.

BTW, Mo, I'm also pondering a ton of the digital stamps (and I prefer to call them stamps) that you do. You're so artistic! But then again, that's just my opinion.:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2009, 11:20 AM   #88  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoManningView Post
Here's the reason it's illegal to trade or swap stamped images whether digital or a rubber stamp:

Stamp artists (and their companies) are not selling you the actual image. The vast majority of art stamps are copyrighted images -- the artists or the stamp companies continue to be the owners of the image. They (we) are licensing to you ONLY the right to use the image yourself in your personal crafting.

When you decide to pass your stamp along in any way without permission from the copyright owner, you're violating the terms of the contract you accepted when you downloaded or bought the stamp.

Now -- most companies will allow you to let a friend try an image, or maybe participate in a fairly sized "swap" but you are supposed to ask for permission. When you give your friend one of my stamps for free, it's really ME who's giving it to her . . . I would appreciate being the one who decides whether I give stamps away for free or not. (And I give PLENTY of them away to members of my PCP group for people who want to try my illustrations.)

You have to read the Stamp Company Policy. They're all a little different. Some companies actually have stated limits as to how many times you're allowed to use your stamp -- others say you can stamp for yourself, but may not sell anything you make -- many Angel Policies (like mine) will allow you to sell the cards you hand-craft and hand-color.

I hope you understand, this isn't greed -- we small stamp companies struggle! I rent a small apartment, I'm single, my car is on it's last legs and my kids are just ALMOST out of the house. I'm selling use of my illustrations for just 3 bucks apiece - is it really fair for people to be passing my work along freely to their friends?

Just ASK!! xoxoMo
VERY well said!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2009, 02:28 PM   #89  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

First of all Mo, you do amazing work, the detail in your the images makes them come to life. I truly understand what you are saying, but I think there needs to be some understanding of the other side. I sell my hand-stamped cards. I only use stamps from companies with Angel Policies, and whenever I see a stamp I am interested in the first place I go is to the "policy" page - even before looking at the price of the stamp. Rubber stamp artists, and we too are artists, if unable to sell their work could not possibly justify purchasing more and new stamps - and that would hurt rubber stamp companies - too. Even though I donate a fair number of cards, it is because I have to satisfy my customers I am always on the lookout for new images. Another point I would like to make is that I have seen stamps where the company has no Angel Policy, and then have seen the same image at another company that does have an Angel Policy - which just complicates the matter more. I am a calligrapher and I can no longer sell my work because the thousands of computer fonts have put me out of work. I donate my calligraphy at church and not only do I not get paid, most people have no idea who is responsibile for the beautiful certificates their children receive - so I do understand the frustration. I just offer some thoughts from the other side.

Rosalia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2009, 04:11 PM   #90  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Here's the reason it's illegal to trade or swap stamped images whether digital or a rubber stamp:

Stamp artists (and their companies) are not selling you the actual image. The vast majority of art stamps are copyrighted images -- the artists or the stamp companies continue to be the owners of the image. They (we) are licensing to you ONLY the right to use the image yourself in your personal crafting.

When you decide to pass your stamp along in any way without permission from the copyright owner, you're violating the terms of the contract you accepted when you downloaded or bought the stamp.

Now -- most companies will allow you to let a friend try an image, or maybe participate in a fairly sized "swap" but you are supposed to ask for permission. When you give your friend one of my stamps for free, it's really ME who's giving it to her . . . I would appreciate being the one who decides whether I give stamps away for free or not. (And I give PLENTY of them away to members of my PCP group for people who want to try my illustrations.)

You have to read the Stamp Company Policy. They're all a little different. Some companies actually have stated limits as to how many times you're allowed to use your stamp -- others say you can stamp for yourself, but may not sell anything you make -- many Angel Policies (like mine) will allow you to sell the cards you hand-craft and hand-color.

I hope you understand, this isn't greed -- we small stamp companies struggle! I rent a small apartment, I'm single, my car is on it's last legs and my kids are just ALMOST out of the house. I'm selling use of my illustrations for just 3 bucks apiece - is it really fair for people to be passing my work along freely to their friends?

Just ASK!! xoxoMo
ITA. . .digital stamps and drawings are how you make your living. I make my living writing. All I have are my ideas and my words and I have had article ideas 'stolen' before so I understand. That is then an article that is lost, income that is lost and that hurts my family.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2009, 07:54 PM   #91  
Embossing Fanatic

I just want to say that I understand that some may not like the term digital "stamps" and I try to use "images" HOWEVER, the most popular way people do a search for such items is by using the term digital "stamp" (at least that's what my research shows)... and therefore, as a digital stamp / image (that's how I'm coining it lately) illustrator, we use that term for that reason... it's business, not necessarily my preference.

I also want to say that I find using digital images work, not laziness... it's time consuming to use the computer for "stamping", although the results can be phenomenal (just as traditional stamping can)... one's not better than the other IMO, just different

People told us in the beginning to create digital images to see what people liked best, but from reading all the differences of opinions on using digis, I find that those who don't like digis might like a totally different style anyway. I can't wait to make our images into stamps, however, I don't know which ones to start with and when you ask people, they tend not to answer!!! LOL For now, digis are a good way to create while we contemplate on that.

It's definitely an interesting thread and I've enjoyed reading all the differences of opinions, so thank you

Kendra
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 05:58 PM   #92  
Embossing Fanatic

I think this thread is very interesting. This is MY OPINION and Thoughts on the subject....
I have been crafting/stamping/scrapbooking since Close To My Heart was called DOTS.. I think it is confusing how people are bugged by the word "stamp" digi stamp, digital stamp, rubber stamp, acrylic stamp, etc.. If you are going to open that up, then you have to open the whole world using the word “stamp.” If you look up the word “stamp” A stamp is a distinctive mark or impression made upon an object, or a device used to make it, or a distinctive sticker applied to an object. It may also include other vouchers or records with similar purposes. So “technically a Digitial/Digi Stamp is just that, a Stamp. You are putting a distinctive mark upon paper.. The difference between a “coloring book” “clip-art”etc. and a Digi/ Digital Stamp is that a Digitial Stamp is created at a higher DPI (dot’s per inch) so you can resize it to be as big or as little as you want and still get a crisp, clean quality. With clip-art and coloring pages you don’t get the same quality.

In my opinion, sometimes people are afraid/dislike change or the unknown. Sometimes we don’t like things we have never tried. I love both. Why do we think that one way is Right and one way is Wrong?? Or one way can use the word but the other cannot??

I would LOVE to be able to buy EVERY Ketto Stamp from Stamping Bella. They are my ALL time FAV. Line EVER.. Really I can’t afford it.(someday I will buy Kettos ) I only WISH these came in a Digital form so I could afford them. Especially right now..
For anyone to say that someone who makes/uses Digital Stamps is Lazy. I beg to differ.. I am 29yrs old, my husband works 2 FULL time jobs, I have 2 children, I am a Cub scout Leader, a Room Mom, I make and create Digital Stamps, I have my parents living with me who I help take care of, my father is in the early stages of Alzheimer’s. …I would love to be able to have my own Rubber Stamp line.. but really I can’t afford it. So this is a way I can do what I love..

So if people (in general) are upset/dislike/think it’s a marketing tool to use the word “STAMP” then shouldn’t we also think of the STAMP we use to mail a letter. Isn’t that “technically” (in the general upset/disliked/thinking it’s a marketing tool peoples eye) a STICKER? What about the word FOOD STAMP?? You are not taking a RUBBER STAMP and STAMPING it on FOOD?? So is it also not a STAMP??

~Just some food for thought..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 10:31 AM   #93  
Polyshrink Goddess

I did not read through all of these commments but I would NOT call anyone who uses digital images a second rate card maker!

I would like to point out that stamp companies that only sell their images as digitals are cutting out a large group of potenial customers. I have seen a ton of images that I would LOVE to buy only to find out that they are only digital. :( Why do I not use digital images??? Several reasons....

1. I have found digital images do not always download correctly on iMac computers.
2. Digital images do not always color well with techniques like copic markers and gamsol - printer ink tends to smear.
3. Downloaded files can be lost/corrupt

I love to color this is the most relaxing part of card making for me but it really saddens me to see so many companies moving in this direction. It is leaving me with less to purchase. I guess I'll just have to come up with new ways to use the stamps I already own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 12:38 PM   #94  
Matboard Maniac

WOW! This whole thread is very tiring. Why did I skim through it you ask? Well I was looking for some good links for digital stamps. I skimmed through some of the posts and since Im new to the digital part I can say I did get some good and bad reasons for using or not using them. What I cant understand is how individuals can get so hung up on the phrase DIGITAL STAMP. I mean does it really make a big difference what they call them. I think not. I cant even comprehend letting something this silly offend me. I believe i read somewhere in here that the lady who started this thread had recently gone through a traumatic experience. I have had an extremely traumatic year myself with moving 4x and going through a divorce after 20yrs of marriage. I believe this is all the more reason to not let something as petty as someone using the term digital stamp offend me. I for one just started getting them and I love them. They have some of the cutest images I have seen. I will continue to use my traditional stamps as well but I dont see anything wrong with adding to my stash of stuff..
Just my 2 cents
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2009, 01:09 AM   #95  
Polyshrink Goddess

For the life of me I can't figure out how to adjust the size of the digital stamps so I don't use them.
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved. Acts 4:12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2009, 07:45 AM   #96  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by pricecheckView Post
For the life of me I can't figure out how to adjust the size of the digital stamps so I don't use them.
You can drag it into your "word" program and then click on it in word. There should be a box around it. Then you just hold your mouse to one of the corners and drag it to the size you want.

Hope I could help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2009, 08:05 AM   #97  
Stampin' Fool

Talking

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenstampsAView Post

1. I have found digital images do not always download correctly on iMac computers.
2. Digital images do not always color well with techniques like copic markers and gamsol - printer ink tends to smear.
3. Downloaded files can be lost/corrupt

I love to color this is the most relaxing part of card making for me but it really saddens me to see so many companies moving in this direction. It is leaving me with less to purchase. I guess I'll just have to come up with new ways to use the stamps I already own.
I agree Jen! I've gotten a couple of digis just to end up being annoyed about ink smearing, not to mention it really just seems like such a hassle to have to worry about one more piece of equipment (meaning a printer) so I can print my images. I also like doing a lot of paper-piecing on my cards, which would then mean I'd have to print the image on all the different papers as opposed to just stamping the sections I want on little scraps.. they're very cute and well, whatever works, but definitely not fro me..I NEED to get messy :mrgreen:

Hugs!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2009, 09:14 AM   #98  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by schoonie64View Post
WOW! This whole thread is very tiring. Why did I skim through it you ask? Well I was looking for some good links for digital stamps. I skimmed through some of the posts and since Im new to the digital part I can say I did get some good and bad reasons for using or not using them. What I cant understand is how individuals can get so hung up on the phrase DIGITAL STAMP. I mean does it really make a big difference what they call them. I think not. I cant even comprehend letting something this silly offend me. I believe i read somewhere in here that the lady who started this thread had recently gone through a traumatic experience. I have had an extremely traumatic year myself with moving 4x and going through a divorce after 20yrs of marriage. I believe this is all the more reason to not let something as petty as someone using the term digital stamp offend me. I for one just started getting them and I love them. They have some of the cutest images I have seen. I will continue to use my traditional stamps as well but I dont see anything wrong with adding to my stash of stuff..
Just my 2 cents
so glad your loving the digi world
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2009, 09:18 AM   #99  
Crimping Master

Default I have no problems with digital images

I have used tons of digital images from many of the companies and do not have any problems downloading, resizing, printing or using my copics with all of them. I use Georgia Pacific white cardstock for printing and if I feel like it (and I usually don't) I let the printed images set overnight before coloring. I use a HP all in one ink jet printer.

It can really depend on the way the images are created and digitized. The really fine line detailed images like Mo's Digital Pencil images are wonderful as the lines remain sharp and fine even when enlarged. I will mention that I am on the Mo's Digital Pencil Challenge Blog Design Team so I have done many of her designs in different sizes and I have used PhotoShop Elements to merge multiple images as well.

I have also purchased from and been on the DT for KLM Digital Designs and their images download wonderfully as well.

I have hundreds of digital images on my computer, and find it much easier to find the image that I want, in the company folders I keep on my desktop, instead of searching through my hundreds of boxes of stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2009, 04:52 PM   #100  
Kookie Creator

I'm not sure why people have problems with the word 'stamp' either. No, it may not be a 'stamp' in the traditional sense of the word, but who cares? I don't necessarily think it takes more or less skill to stamp a physical stamp than to print a digital stamp, it's just a different skill set.

The OP calls the use of digital stamps 'lazy', but I find that to be untrue and for some, it may be offensive. How do you feel about freehand artists who think we stampers are lazy or lack artistic skills because all we do is press rubber to ink and then to paper instead of using our skills and time to draw the image???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2009, 05:34 PM   #101  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have to say I agree. It's a piece of clipart. Yes, you can resize it, but isn't this going back to the Print Shop days and printing things out on your color printer?

They are challenging to use, just like stamps, but I don't think they should be called or have anything to do with "stamping" because you print it... I don't hear that 'tap' tap' tap' on my ink pad...

Linda "LZ" Zaworski
* Baltimore, MD *
My Facebook Stamping page/group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/221943441186603/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2009, 08:44 PM   #102  
Insane Embellisher

I still dont get this whole thing. If I print out a digi stamp or I stamp a stamp, I can tell you no one could tell the difference.
Like I said before I am loving digi's.
And I LOVE yours Mo. Your's are the first ones I actually liked! You are a real artist! I cant wait everyday, well almost everyday LOL to see the newest one you draw. Wish I had your wonderful talent.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2009, 03:44 AM   #103  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by French ChablisView Post
I also don't like digital - I just don't go there!!!! However, I don't have a problem with people who do, but I just don't 'get' the appeal of them. I already spend too much time on my computer and don't want to spend my 'creative' time on it. I like to surf but otherwise I think my computer is boring!!! My husband calls me a luddite!

I can see there are a lot of advantages in terms of choice of images, being able to manipulate it etc and the cost but for me, nothing beats getting my stamps out and playing with them. I also find stamps much more versatile than digital images though I am not a great one for colouring, so that will affect my attitude I suppose. I am also really resistant to the idea which is hard to put my finger on but something about the mechanisation of stamping which offends me. I'm not saying I couldn't be persuaded, but I haven't been yet, even when I had a look at the Hero Arts stuff which does look gorgeous. I am also at base, a bit of a 'collector', so I like having the physical stamps too. Just my two pennarth'.
Fellow kindergarten Luddite here. I love playing with glue and paper and ink IRL. Even typing about it brings a smile to my face!

I've been gradually and reluctantly dragged into the gadget era (blogged about it HERE) and now adore my computer (because of SCS and blogging), but the idea of using digital images doesn't appeal to me at all.

That said, I can totally understand why some people find digital images to be da bomb!

What I love about papercrafting is that we have SO MANY OPTIONS these days. If you want digi, you got it. If you want wood-mounted rubber, you got it. If you want clear, you got it. If you want forty-bazzillion colors of ink and coordinating paper, you got it. :-D

As someone who's been stamping for almost 9 years, I must say there's been an explosion of product options. As a glass is half-full girl, I see this as wonderful, even if I don't actually USE most of the newer stuff. I still get amazing inspiration from digi and a creative boost from trying to duplicate certain effects the "old-fashioned" way.

However you create, have fun, folks! Oh, yeah, and share what you do here on SCS so we can all enjoy it!

It's all good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2009, 04:50 AM   #104  
Glitter Guru

I have a MacBook Pro & use Word (for the mac), print on GP using an Epson Stylus CX4800 ~ and I love to print out digital images to color with my Copics... I have enough love for this craft to enjoy it all!!! It would be so much better for my budget if I didn't... :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2009, 09:27 PM   #105  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was very undecided on digi's until I figured out how to use them better on my computer now I do use digi's along with my rubber. I swore I wouldn't use digi's and I now do and I also swore I wouldn't use clear stamps and now they are some of my fave's in my collection- what I have learned- never say never tee hee- change comes along whether you want it or not.

I have used a stamp from a friend, tried the image and turned it into a card and usually end up buying either that image from the company or perhaps falling in love with a different one even more. I like to support companies and the dream they are building which in turn helps us crafters with our dream of creating beautiful keepsakes. So I know I have to keep on buying stamps to keep the business alive for them and for me

I truly don't believe that most people you give a card to will care how the image got to your paper (digi or stamped) but will instead marvel at how you coloured it and embellished the card to make it special for them. That's all that matters to me- did I find an image and create a card that made them happy

of course, these are all just my opinons
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2009, 11:17 AM   #106  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!

I love digital stamps for several reasons:

1. Because you always get a crisp image the first time! How many times have you stamped an image and it didn't all stamp? Especially now that I am using copics and Gina K card stock, I hate to waste card stock!

2. I like to have the ability to re-size my image for my needs.

3. There is no more waiting for Mr. Mailman and paying shipping costs.

4. I can get more digital stamps versus rubber or clear stamps.

5. I store all my digital stamps on a re-writeable CD. That takes up less room than regular stamps or even clear for that matter.

I work on 2 digital stamp company's design teams and I am totally enjoying both of them. Give them a try! There are several companies that have freebies once a week. They are just as addictive as regular stamps, sometime more so!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2009, 06:11 AM   #107  
Glitter Guru

I am an equal opportunity crafter. I love it all, rubber, clear, digital. they all have an appeal to me for different reasons. the digital images are good for coloring with Copics and I love to color! I also love the convenience of them and the cost. would I give up my other stamps? never! but the variety of images from each medium keeps me creative. sometimes I want inky fingers and sometimes I want to go sit and color without the mess. the choices that are out there are what makes paper crafting such a great hobby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2009, 07:34 AM   #108  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Digital images work GREAT with copics -- they were practically made for the alcohol-based markers (as well as gamsol/prismas) Try printing on draft setting if you find any smearing at all. (Also try letting your image dry for a few hours -- or just heat set it.)
Thanks for the tip Mo, I will definitely be trying this out so my images don't smear - especially since I made the mistake of wandering into your blog and I'm now the proud owner of my very own Mos!!! OMG. you are gifted!!! (and I will be back for more, smearing or not, I want them ALL!!) :mrgreen:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2009, 03:51 AM   #109  
Compulsive Stamper

I just saw this topic and I thought it was interesting - I only started stamping last year and hadn't heard of digital stamps until this thread. Before stamping, I used traditional fine art mediums and later got into computer-based graphic design, and photography. When I first got into stamping, I wanted to be able to resize the graphic to suit my design, not create my design around the graphic, and I felt there was no way I can use someone else's artwork (at least, not for the main artwork.) "How can it be my art when it really isn't my art?" I asked myself, pompously. So I set about making my own artwork, and to stay true to the craft I had my artwork made into a stamp. When it came time to color the artwork, I stamped the image, used several washes of watercolor for the background, and colored the main picture with colored pencils. It took about an hour to do the just the watercoloring on 20 images. Then I thought, pompously again, "This is crazy! There's no way I'm going to color 20 of these! That's not art - that's being a human printer!" So I did what I'm sure I'd be chastised for in the stamping world - I scanned my colored, stamped, artwork and printed it umpteen times. "Eep, that's cheating," I thought. "I better not blog about this." And I didn't - this is the first you're hearing about it! Even though I felt like I was still kind of cheating, I was happy with the results and would cheat again. :-)

Having learned from last year, this year I did the artwork completely on my tablet PC instead of sketching it on paper first. It was more time efficient that way. I also colored it right there in Photoshop. The rest of the card was embellished by hand, and I did use other artist's stamps for the secondary artwork. (I haven't posted this card in my gallery yet.)

I guess in my roundabout way, I'm trying to say that whether it's traditional or computer, the creative process is still there. It's still organic. You still watch "paint" flow from "brushes", you still use the same masking, shading, perspective and other techniques you'd use in traditional - the only difference is that computers make less of a mess, it's easier to fix mistakes, and once you have a setup you don't have to keep buying pencils, ink, paint, etc. To me, digital is just another medium. There's no rules saying what to use or not to use, and part of art is discovering how to use mediums together. I say, use whatever is appropriate for what you want to do - if using digital works for you because you don't want to use other people's art (I'm still not over that :-) ) then so be it. Or if you don't have enough room or money for traditional stamps. Or you just want to speed up your workflow. There are plenty of reasons why you might want to use one method over another.

So that's my 2 or 4 cents. :-) If you want to see how my cards turned out last year, you can check out my blog. If you click on the second to last pic, that is the printed version, not the original. You can't even tell it's digital.
http://khromeatplay.blogspot.com/200...ing-cards.html

If you would like to see some amazing examples of digital artwork (not stamp related), check out fantasy artist Nene Thomas' website and tell me that her paintings do not look like oils or watercolors! She switched to digital several years ago.
http://www.nenethomas.com/index.shtml

Last edited by khrome; 12-07-2009 at 03:57 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2009, 05:50 AM   #110  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the reasons I love digital images is that I can resize them. I prefer to make cards that are A7 (5X7) in size and some of the rubber stamps images are just too small in proportion to the card.

Another reason I use digital images is I live in a city that only has Hobby Lobby (don't get me wrong, I like HL but they do have a limited number of stamps and they don't get new stamps in very often). If there is an stamp I want, I have to order it. Let's face it the shipping alone will get me one or two digital stamps.

I still purchase rubber stamps but I will continue to purchase digital images as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2009, 09:03 AM   #111  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Hi Khrome -- first of all, your rubber stamp and your cards are adorable. LOVE the frames, that's brilliant!

Of course digital art is just another medium (I create many of my full-color illustrations digitally -- all the artwork on my portfolio page -- which ends up being printed in traditional trade books -- was done using my "Painter" software (and like you said, art done this way -- I call it "tradigital" is indistinguishable from regular paint or pastel. But just remember, unless you're the illustrator, as you were for your nutcracker card, stamps sold for crafting are not allowed to be digitally colored then printed numerous times. Besides, I think the time and effort put into the hand-coloring of the stamped images is what makes them so unique and appealing . . . otherwise, why not just go buy a stack of printed cards at the store?

xoMo

PS Speaking of BJD dolls -- I'm a huge fan of those too and plan to try to MAKE my own OOAK soon! (I'm waiting for a doll to arrive in the mail TODAY coincidentally! squeee!)
I completely agree, it would be very bad etiquette to modify someone elses digital work, which is what you are doing by coloring it digitally, not to mention probably against the license agreement. And it's definitely NOT okay to have stamps made from the digital stamps, in case anyone was getting that idea by reading my blog. Actually, the stamp makers proabably will not let you anyway if there is a copyright on it.

These particular ideas were not the intention of showing you guys my blog - it was to show that the process for creating artwork for a digital stamp and a rubber stamp are the same, minus some extra steps for making rubber stamps. When in doubt, always ask the person you got the artwork from, as each person might be more lenient or restrictive about the use of their artwork.

Thanks for the compliment, Mo! That is awesome you are getting a BJD today! I've been thinking of getting one of the small ones to practice faceups on but that will have to wait. I have a mile long crafting-to-do list and the last thing I need is a new hobby. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2009, 01:41 PM   #112  
Pearl-ExPert

[QUOTE=khrome;15670955] When I first got into stamping, I wanted to be able to resize the graphic to suit my design, not create my design around the graphic, and I felt there was no way I can use someone else's artwork (at least, not for the main artwork.) "How can it be my art when it really isn't my art?" I asked myself, pompously. So I set about making my own artwork, and to stay true to the craft I had my artwork made into a stamp. When it came time to color the artwork, I stamped the image, used several washes of watercolor for the background, and colored the main picture with colored pencils. It took about an hour to do the just the watercoloring on 20 images. Then I thought, pompously again, "This is crazy! There's no way I'm going to color 20 of these! That's not art - that's being a human printer!" So I did what I'm sure I'd be chastised for in the stamping world - I scanned my colored, stamped, artwork and printed it umpteen times.

Each to their own, of course

...but why not just go out and get store bought cards?

What you just described here is not stamping (excepting the very first article you did manually stamp and colour.).....more the ability to be able to copy and print what you have coloured.

I know it would save time and energy. I get that and in this crazily busy world, time is often of the essence.

Because this line of expression is fast becoming totally removed from the art of rubber stamping, I believe it would be so much better for it to head up as a totally different genre...what you have described here....

[COLOUR="red"]"You still watch "paint" flow from "brushes", you still use the same masking, shading, perspective and other techniques you'd use in traditional - the only difference is that computers make less of a mess, it's easier to fix mistakes, and once you have a setup you don't have to keep buying pencils, ink, paint, etc. To me, digital is just another medium. There's no rules saying what to use or not to use, and part of art is discovering how to use mediums together. I say, use whatever is appropriate for what you want to do - if using digital works for you because you don't want to use other people's art (I'm still not over that ) then so be it. Or if you don't have enough room or money for traditional stamps. Or you just want to speed up your workflow. "[/COLOR]

....is now totally computer generated....now totally removed from the art of stamping as it could get.....I grant that this is a natural progression to resizing and printing out digital images.....

Please note I am not insulting your work. I am commenting on your philosophy, though ;)

But playing around on the computer is totally different to getting down and inky! It actually saddens me that the inky, real stamp is being threatened! Mind you, I have enough rubber to keep me happy until I am put in the little wooden box! Been collecting for more than 15 years.

In the end I guess I am comparing real diamonds with fakes, in my mind's eye.

JMO,
Michelle

Cheers,
Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2009, 03:02 PM   #113  
Compulsive Stamper

Hi Michelle,

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellpoleView Post

Each to their own, of course

...but why not just go out and get store bought cards?
A store wouldn't have my design

Quote:

What you just described here is not stamping (excepting the very first article you did manually stamp and colour.).....more the ability to be able to copy and print what you have coloured.
Perhaps, but that is just naming. I think the issue of the word "stamp" was resolved earlier in the thread. There was an example of how postage stamps are not stamped anymore, yet we still call them that.

I do somewhat agree with you - when I talk about what I did, I don't call it a digital stamp. I don't think I've called it anything specific in my blog - I just described what I did.

Since at least 60% of my cards contain "real" stamps and incorporate stamping techniques, I'm still going to call it a stamped card. Just because I used digital artwork as the main graphic does not negate the other work I've done. Sure, if I generated the whole card in Photoshop I would not call it stamped. That would be silly.

Quote:

Because this line of expression is fast becoming totally removed from the art of rubber stamping, I believe it would be so much better for it to head up as a totally different genre...what you have described here....

[COLOUR="red"]"You still watch "paint" flow from "brushes", you still use the same masking, shading, perspective and other techniques you'd use in traditional - the only difference is that computers make less of a mess, it's easier to fix mistakes, and once you have a setup you don't have to keep buying pencils, ink, paint, etc. To me, digital is just another medium. There's no rules saying what to use or not to use, and part of art is discovering how to use mediums together. I say, use whatever is appropriate for what you want to do - if using digital works for you because you don't want to use other people's art (I'm still not over that ) then so be it. Or if you don't have enough room or money for traditional stamps. Or you just want to speed up your workflow. "[/COLOR]

....is now totally computer generated....now totally removed from the art of stamping as it could get.....I grant that this is a natural progression to resizing and printing out digital images.....

Please note I am not insulting your work. I am commenting on your philosophy, though ;)

But playing around on the computer is totally different to getting down and inky! It actually saddens me that the inky, real stamp is being threatened! Mind you, I have enough rubber to keep me happy until I am put in the little wooden box! Been collecting for more than 15 years.
How do you know it's different than 'playing' around on the computer? Do you have any experience in digital art? As I mentioned before, I have experience in computer and traditional mediums. When I pick up my tablet pen, the motions, emotions, thought patterns, etc are exactly the same as when I pick up a stick of charcoal, graphite pencils, colored pencils, watercolors, pastels, charcoal, conte crayon, etc. If you do not believe me - there's nothing I can do about that. But I don't know how you can presume, then, that it's not the same if you haven't tried making art from scratch on the computer. The artwork for your stamps likely came from an artist, sketching on their computer or scanning their drawing. How else do you think they are made?

Quote:

In the end I guess I am comparing real diamonds with fakes, in my mind's eye.
Not trying to be harsh here either, but I drew my artwork and you stamped someone elses. Which one's fake now. ;-) That is really not my sentiment towards stamping - you just pushed me to say that by your comment.

I don't think you have to be threatened by digital stamps - everyone is still going to want that organic feel. *I* like it too - I have growing collection but mine is more for embellishing, not the main graphic. I like the wood blocks with laser engravings, not the clear sticker. How is that for traditional? :-) I didn't like acrylic stamps until I heard of SU's new ones and now I might give them a shot because their benefit might outweigh the non-traditionalism of them.

You seem so against my philosophy but I wonder if you really understood what my philosophy is. It's to use the medium that works best for you. And for the right reasons. Hating a method because it doesn't fit your idea of what stamping is not the right reason. Like they say, think outside the box.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2010, 10:53 AM   #114  
Cardstock Collector

I love digital stamps, not everyone has the money to buy rubber and clear stamps...especially in this economy. You get the same image as a rubber/clear stamp...I don't know what the big deal is and I am not lazy just less fortunate!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-20-2010, 12:18 PM   #115  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't do digis mainly because it's a hassle to get my printer hooked up. I have a laser printer and a ink jet (that's out of ink). Sure, they're technically not stamps, but to entice stampers that they get pretty much the same thing, they call them digi stamps.

Reminds me of the time I made sloppy joes for my husband when we first got married. He hates sloppy joes, so I called it BBQ beef to get him to try it. (He tried it and still hated it, but that's beside the point)
Reply With Quote Likes