Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-05-2009, 07:08 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Stamp_Diva
Default Digi Stamps - Really?

OK I have kept quiet for a while now but I cannot take it any more. Digi stamps are not stamps they are pictures you colour in. Stamping involves an object you put on an ink pad and then make an impression on paper, CS or something else.

Have we really got that lazy? Yes I understand that these are easy and inexpensive but like I said it is no different to going out buying a childrens colouring book and doing that.

Sorry but that is how I feel and my personal opinion.

And don't even start me on digital scrapbooking because that is just photoshop repackaged with a fancy name.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2009, 07:14 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

I do understand that people take issue with calling them digital "stamps." I will agree they are not a stamp. I do have to say that I like stamping, and I like using digital products as well. And as far as digital scrapbooking, it's the only way I seem to get scrapbooking pages done now. I understand that not everyone enjoys the digital aspect, but to me, I really do like it. It's a hobby to me, whether I use digital or traditional methods. And I enjoy it. But I do understand that not everyone is going to like approaching it the same way. Keep on crafting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2009, 07:38 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamp_DivaView Post
OK I have kept quiet for a while now but I cannot take it any more. Digi stamps are not stamps they are pictures you colour in. Stamping involves an object you put on an ink pad and then make an impression on paper, CS or something else.

Have we really got that lazy? Yes I understand that these are easy and inexpensive but like I said it is no different to going out buying a childrens colouring book and doing that.

And don't even start me on digital scrapbooking because that is just photoshop repackaged with a fancy name.
Hi Amanda, I am sorry you are feeling this way about digital stamps. You are right, they are not stamps, but I call them digital stamps because they were created for stampers/card makers.
A lot of paper crafters not only enjoy the stamping part of card making, but also the coloring part of it. I'm one of them, I just love to color. I don't care if the image has been stamped by me, or if it has been given to me by a friend, or if I printed it out on the computer.
Sometimes I actually stamp a few images of stamps that I have and put them in my image box, that way next time I want to use it I don't have to get out my ink pad and get the stamp dirty for one image. And I would probably like coloring books too, if the paper in coloring books was like a card stock and if the image were small enough to use on other projects.

About digital scrapbooking, while I haven't done any of that yet, I am pretty sure that I will not start "regular" scrapbooking again, simply because I don't have time or space for it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2009, 07:43 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't do the digital thing either. it seems too much like "colouring" (like you i envision a kids colouring book) rather than stamping as a process...

i feel a sense of pride when non-stampers look at my stuff and ask "Did you print that from your computer?" and I say, "No. I hand-stamped it and coloured it in with markers."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2009, 07:44 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Coming from another perspective here...as a stamp illustrator, the easiest step is getting the image on paper and then on the computer. Then if you want rubber or acrylic stamps you gotta fork out the big bucks. For a small manufacturing set up of your own you are look at a minimum of $5K, or if you contract out the manufacturing you are looking at even more costs. (been there, done that, and I ran out of money before I got my t-shirt to prove it)

But to go the digital route, your only having to worry about your fees for selling and hosting a website. Why not cut costs and be able to pursue your dreams without going into debt up to your ears?

I have seen so many beautiful cards and mistaken the image for hand stamped, to me its just not that big of a deal.
Unity Stamp Co. Artist
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2009, 08:01 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I mistake digital images for stamps all the time! I'm just saying I get a sense of pride (don't ask me WHY) from completing an image from rubber-to-finish.. I did it all by myself. (well, except for actually making the stamp..)

I can appreciate the expense involved with the rubber/photopolymer end of things, but like so many computer-generated activities (animation, digital scrapbooking, now digital stamps and MILLIONS more) where does the line between handicraft and computer generated get drawn? It's like the argument for and against vinyl records and CDs. Some say vinyl just sounds better because of the way it's made. I guess I'm just old school..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2009, 08:37 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Well, I guess we could get technical and say that using a rubber stamp isn't really "art" since you're not hand-drawing it yourself, right? (I'm not trying to be rude, just putting out another perspective here.)

Personally, I love "digital stamps," although I agree they are not really stamps. If you go look in my gallery, you'll see that most of my work has been done with them lately. If I didn't tell, you wouldn't know.

One of the things I like best about "digital stamps" is that there is no making mistakes in placement - and ruining an otherwise perfect project. I was "into" rubber stamps about 10 years ago and got out of it because I didn't like the results I was getting. Well, when I saw my first clear stamps about two years ago, I got back into it because now I could see exactly where everything was going. I see "digital stamps" pretty much the same way.

"Digital stamps" are not for everyone. But I don't think those of us who use them are second-rate cardmakers. We're just different. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 12:40 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to AmberDawn

Quote:

As someone who dabbles in both styles, I'm a tiny bit offended that you would think digi stamping is "lazy". I'd love to know what part of it is lazy. It's actually kinda tricky what with resizing, finding a printer that will actually print on cardstock (AAAACCCKKK!), not smearing your image when coloring, etc. What's so tough about getting ink on a rubber stamp and putting it on a piece of paper? A rubber stamp starts out as a digital image anyways, it's just made in to rubber. Nothing you as a stamper do to it makes it any different. Okay, maybe that's not entirely true, you can emboss/use different mediums with a rubber stamp which you don't have an opportunity to do to digi stamps. My first love will always be traditional stamping, but the way you stated this is sure to hurt someone's feelings, whether it be a digi stamper/scrapbooker or a digi stamp designer. Maybe I'm too sensitive, but that's how I feel.
Also, digi scrapbookers are AMAZING! Can you really find no beauty in it? What a shame...
I design for Verve Stamps and Reverse Confetti!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 01:03 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

My point was not to hurt peoples feelings, it was to state my point of view. That is how I feel and it is my personal opinion. It most certainly was not a personal attack on anyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 01:55 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

To be honest, I don't see digital as being any less "crafty". After all, you can get much more involved than just "print and colour", just as with physical stamping you can do much more than just "stamp and colour".

Print and colour, stamp and colour. I don't personally see a huge difference.

For me, the real fun/creativity comes with what people do with the images, not whether they stamped them by hand or printed them out. And some people have been doing some really creative and inspiring things with digital. Mel McCarthy has done embossed images with digital, and other people have been masking, combining with stamped images to create scenes etc.

And when you're dealing with illustrations like those by Mo Manning and many of the other artists supplying digital images, it's a pretty far cry from any of the colouring books I ever had.

I still love stamping, but I think digital is just as credible, and every bit as fun (and doesn't have to be used as a completely separate thing). The only limit to any of it is in our imaginations.

Digital images aren't stamps, but it is a convenient title that gets the attention of the target market. What's in a name? ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 02:01 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

some of us want to make cards and can't afford rubber stamps.
some of the images aren't available on rubber.
there are many cards out there that hightlight "coloring" with
the copic markers.
some of us merely can't afford the more expensive.
isn't there room for all of us?
copic markers give classes on coloring, blogs have tutorials on
prisma markers.
i personally tried digitals because i liked the price (unemployed husband for
over a year)
i liked the image i chose, and it was fun.
here's my card done from digital:
GINGERBREAD AND MEMORIES
sorry to have offended anyone by calling this a "digital stamp"

janice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 02:35 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

I also don't like digital - I just don't go there!!!! However, I don't have a problem with people who do, but I just don't 'get' the appeal of them. I already spend too much time on my computer and don't want to spend my 'creative' time on it. I like to surf but otherwise I think my computer is boring!!! My husband calls me a luddite!

I can see there are a lot of advantages in terms of choice of images, being able to manipulate it etc and the cost but for me, nothing beats getting my stamps out and playing with them. I also find stamps much more versatile than digital images though I am not a great one for colouring, so that will affect my attitude I suppose. I am also really resistant to the idea which is hard to put my finger on but something about the mechanisation of stamping which offends me. I'm not saying I couldn't be persuaded, but I haven't been yet, even when I had a look at the Hero Arts stuff which does look gorgeous. I am also at base, a bit of a 'collector', so I like having the physical stamps too. Just my two pennarth'.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 02:53 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I don't think I used the right words. You will have to excuse me, I am going through a rough time (I discovered my partner had a wife and two children in another town, stuff happens what are you going to do about it huh? *shrug*) and all my feeling words have been used and I don't seem to be able to express myself eloquently anymore.

The word "lazy" was definitely wrong.

I love the feel of paper and card and getting ink on my fingers. I love embossing powders and using different techniques. I know all of this costs a fortune - I have practically bankrupted myself buying stuff to play with.

I think people who can colour with copics and ink are greatly talented, I can never get it right. I don't think that because someone has used a digital image that they are less talented or that their cards are second rate. And I definitely don't think of them as not being artists.

I guess the problem I have is the word "stamp" because it just isn't. Regardless of weather you like them or you don't they just are not stamps. Images yes but not stamps. I guess with all the stuff going on in my life, the thought of my beloved rubber stamps becoming dinosaurs is a tad distressing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 03:13 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Really sorry you're having such a rough time of it, Amanda. :(

I don't think there's much danger of rubber stamps being relegated anytime soon. The market is growing, definitely, but I don't see it eclipsing rubber in a hurry.

I do tend toward being slightly lazy, I'd have to admit. And digi definitely makes my life easier sometimes. There are always stamps I have to fight with to get a good image, and some days I just cannot be bothered - digi is a great fit on those days!

But you don't have to be lazy like me with digi, and Mel McCarthy definitely demonstrates that well (oh to be that creative) - check out her post using images from Angels Landing and this one using a Mo Manning digital image. A technique you can totally get messy and hands on with!

I don't think illustrators necessarily like the term digital stamps much either. It just seems like an easy term for the market.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 04:48 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have to agree with the OP. I'm not a big fan of the "digital" wave. Although, I have seen a lot of beautiful work done with digital "stamps"!
I'm like you, I like rubber (or acrylic) to ink and then to paper. I guess it's a preference thing much like people swear by acrylic and no longer use rubber or how rubber lovers won't even look at acrylic. (I use and love both acrylic and rubber so there! lol)

PS - Sorry you're having a tough time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 05:58 AM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm a another one who is not crazy about digital images - for me it's been there done that before I learned about stamping. As an IT consultant I like getting away from my PC (except wandering around on SCS and the net for stamping ideas).

I think there is room for both. I've downloaded a couple of images, but I just haven't wanted to use them. I also feel the same way about digital scrapbooks.

Years ago before I knew anything about "scrapbooking" I used to make a family calendar with pictures and images that I drew using an old program called Harvard Graphics. The images were not clipart and I'd insert imgaes and pictures with nice frames and appropriate words (i.e. journaling). I'd take my diskette down to the copy shop and they would print and bind my calendars. Now to me that is digital scrapbooking only I had to do all the image work myself. It was expensive then and I can see where it could get expensive now as glossy cardstock is not cheap nor is printer ink. I assume digi scrapbookers print their pages, otherwise it wouldn't be any fun if I can't pull out the scrapbook and look thorugh it with a nice cup of coffee.

I may be "old school" put for now I'll just stay with my rubber or clear stamps and leave the digi world to others.

To the OP - if you hang out here in SCS forums you will always find that some take things personally. I didn't have a problem with your choice of words nor do I find a problem with being able to give your opinion. Just like people who take things personal, it's just an opinion. To me I find it interesting to learn how people are affected by our posts so long as we don't get mean or hurtful. Hope your world gets better - hugs....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 06:08 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In today's digital age, it's just another option for those who are tech oriented. I think digital and traditional stamping work well together. It's also a bonus to order a digital image for something you wouldn't ordinarily use that often, or if you need it right away (no trips to the store or waiting for your order).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 06:20 AM   #18  
Forum Fanatic

I agree, it's not a stamp, and it is still creative...
I have occasionally gotten a digi stamp because there was nothing similar in rubber (at least as reasonably priced), but I find I never use them for the exact reasons AmberDawn gave.
Kelliannie, I understand what you are saying about the costs of startup...but, for me, it's just passing the cost and inconvenience to the consumer. It is pretty expensive to print, although many people don't really pay attention to that.

How many times do you really resize an image, either? I find I import it into a Word document (in order to print it--otherwise the photo printing Wizard is limited, size-wise), resize it to a reasonable size, and leave it.

As for digi scrapping, I don't like how it looks usually. I looks digital to me, not like real paper and embellishments. It can be beautiful, like graphic art can be beautiful, but it doesn't feel like scrapbooking to me.

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 06:26 AM   #19  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
Years ago before I knew anything about "scrapbooking" I used to make a family calendar with pictures and images that I drew using an old program called Harvard Graphics. The images were not clipart...
You mention that you drew your images and printed them, but they weren't "clip art." Today's artists who are making the digital stamps/images/whatever are merely doing the same thing. They're drawing images, and allowing people to print them.

I'm not attacking you, but only point this out as some people get hung up on the digitals as being "just clip art," but they are in fact drawn exactly the same way as the images for rubber stamps are drawn. Instead of sending the drawings off to have the rubber sheets produced, they're skipping the "middle man" and making the images instantly ready for the consumer to use.

As for using the computer for stamping, if you print several images out and save them, you'll always be able to grab one to assemble your card later without ever having to go near the computer. (Except to post your lovely creations on SCS!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 06:31 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think there is a place for both - and love the variety. I also love that maybe for one off images that I couldn't use repeatedly that there is becoming a digital option. I love my rubber and acrylic - they pass my "if I'm snowed in with no electricity how do I entertain myself" test for hobbies. That is also where our family love of cards, games and puzzles come in to play.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 06:36 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I don't think I used the right words. You will have to excuse me, I am going through a rough time (I discovered my partner had a wife and two children in another town, stuff happens what are you going to do about it huh? *shrug*) and all my feeling words have been used and I don't seem to be able to express myself eloquently anymore.

The word "lazy" was definitely wrong.

I love the feel of paper and card and getting ink on my fingers. I love embossing powders and using different techniques. I know all of this costs a fortune - I have practically bankrupted myself buying stuff to play with.

I think people who can colour with copics and ink are greatly talented, I can never get it right. I don't think that because someone has used a digital image that they are less talented or that their cards are second rate. And I definitely don't think of them as not being artists.

I guess the problem I have is the word "stamp" because it just isn't. Regardless of weather you like them or you don't they just are not stamps. Images yes but not stamps. I guess with all the stuff going on in my life, the thought of my beloved rubber stamps becoming dinosaurs is a tad distressing.
Sorry that you are having a rough time. I hope that you continue to enjoy your stamping and it brings you many happy hours. The great thing about papercrafting to me, is that there is so much variety, almost anyone can find an aspect of it that they enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 06:54 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I started out as a digi person (digi scrapping then to paper). I really love both, but I usually do digi first before I get out my "hard" stamps. Its just so convenient and there are so many digital techniques I can do that I can't do with ink and paper. However, there are also just as many things I can do with ink and paper that I can't do digitally. I actually prefer digital scrapbooking to paper scrapbooking. I designed digital scrapbook kits for some time so I know how much work goes into creating all the papers and embellishements. I honestly believe that there is just as much creativity and just as much "art" value in both mediums. I think digital stamps are going to make big advances just because of the convenience and the price and the storage issues just like it has with scrapbooking. But I don't think that it will replace the traditional methods.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 07:43 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

The problem I would have with digital stamping is the use of scraps in my collection. I will hold on to a piece of PTI white to stamp on and colour with copics until the very last scrap is gone. I like to mix and match my rubber stamps together to make a scene or, like I said before, squeeze them on a 3 x 4.87 piece of scrap paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 07:45 AM   #24  
Inking Addict

sorry, this posted twice, see comment below

Last edited by stelagrafx; 10-06-2009 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: posted twice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 07:48 AM   #25  
Inking Addict

Most of us have tried all methods of getting an image onto paper. Rubber was the king, but now there are other options. Digi images are just another option. The artistic creativity comes in what you do with the image. True, you can't do some special effects (like embossing) when you print your image, but you still get beautiful finished products from any image, no matter how you get the original image. You can also do many things with digital images (like flipping and resizing) that you can't do with traditional 'stamps'. Digital images can be printed in SU colors with the formulas found on SCS. There are so many samples of all types of images in SCS galleries and I bet you couldn't tell how the image got to the paper if you didn't recognize what kind of 'stamp' was used.
The artists that produce the images have worked just as hard to get their images to 'digital' as they do to get them to rubber or acrylic. It takes hours and hours of work to get a drawing ready for production. I don't think it is fair to suggest that a digital image is less artistic or significant because it is offered in digital format.
I like reading different points of view on SCS. Discussions can get heated. But please let's not be hurtful to other's when we express our view.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 08:21 AM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Here is my opinion: I consider "digital stamps" to be clipart. Clipart can be in the form of a vector or raster image, it can be handdrawn and scanned in, it can be drawn with a digital tablet, it can be line art or pre-colored. It can be beautifully done or amateurish looking. By calling it clipart, I by no means mean any disrespect to the artist. Calling it clipart does not reflect on the quality or beauty of the art. That is just how I tend to categorize it- And I LOVE clipart! I think whether using pre-colored clipart for a really quick project, or using line art to be colored yourself (either digitally or with pens, markers, paints, or pencils) you can get some gorgeous results. Benefits of digital images include: ability to resize, alter and recolor the image on your computer, quick and easy images, lower price.

To me, a stamp is a vulcanized piece of rubber to be tapped onto an inkpad, into paint, or colored with markers, and stamped onto a surface. Rubber stamps can also be beautiful, or they can be of poor quality. One of the things I love about rubber stamps is that you can use so many different mediums: metallic ink, chalk ink, versamark, paint, embossing powder, heat and stick powder, etc. You can stamp them into molten embossing powder to leave an impression, you can iron velvet over them, you can use resist techniques. You can stamp on a box, on wood, on chipboard, an acetate, on glass, even on a wall! I just like to play with them and try new things.

As far as digital scrapbooking goes, I am not into doing completely digital pages. I do like to incorporate digital images into my traditional pages at times. I like to use fonts for journaling and titles, I use digital brushes to cut shapes with my Klic-N-Kut, I like to alter photos, and print and cut out embellishments. I like to experiment with printing on vellum, transparencies, cork, fabric, and different papers. I like to think that digital and traditional methods can be used together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 08:41 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm just getting into digital scrapbooking and my reason is the ability to share.

I have over 100 family pictures that are from 1870-1940. I want to digi-scrap them so that I can make an album that all my aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, nephews, etc can either play on their TVs or computers, or print out for themselves into books. These images should be shared.

I will make a "traditional" album with the originals, but digi offers the many members of my large family the opportunity to also "own" these wonderful images in a scrapbook format.

After that, I may find I really like digi-scrapping and start doing more albums that way. Who knows?

The point is that I can create- yes, create- a beautiful showcase for my pictures with a computer and it will be just as wonderful as if I had done it with paper and glue!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 09:13 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

I think this is a great post. I am not sure how I feel myself about digital images, because I haven't used them. I was very interested, however, to see MFT come out with some digital stamps last week -- hopefully that could be a way that companies could put out images of retired stamps without having to print more rubber/acrylic? I think I will probably stick to rubber/acrylic for now, however. I also don't know much about digital scrapbooking, although it seems intriguing.

Have a super sparkly day!
My Gallery
My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 09:43 AM   #29  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,062 Likes on 817 Posts

I know this conversation has been had several times before. Personally I have no objection to digi - it was PC graphics that first got me into card-making years ago - when our laptop didn't even have a CD drive to upload all the clipart that came with Corel Draw 3! My brother rigged a customised cable and uploaded them via his PC. Now I love stamping, but am happy to use digital images when they suit the purpose. And while I love sentiment stamps and don't think you could ever have too many - sometimes a computer-generated sentiment is just what you need.
My pick-up from the OP is just on the *Have we really got so lazy*. All I can say is that I've been around PCs since modems were things that you stuck onto your regular telephone handset, and for me it's a lot easier to stamp an image than it is to size one, print it where you want (if it matters - which it sometimes does) and then hope that it doesn't smudge when you start colouring. I only make an exception in the case of stamping detailed images onto watercolour paper, where I have a higher wastage.
I always ended up saying it's great that we're all different and vive la difference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 10:39 AM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

I don't use digital images in my papercrafting but I am totally fine with others doing it and don't think any less of projects made with them. Who knows, I might just try it one day.

But the terminology drives me nuts! The term "digital stamp" is an oxymoron. There is no stamping involved! If everyone would call them what they are, digital images, I think this debate would simmer down eventually.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 11:01 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlitteratiView Post
I don't use digital images in my papercrafting but I am totally fine with others doing it and don't think any less of projects made with them. Who knows, I might just try it one day.

But the terminology drives me nuts! The term "digital stamp" is an oxymoron. There is no stamping involved! If everyone would call them what they are, digital images, I think this debate would simmer down eventually.
This is exactly my take on this issue. I just have no desire to use my computer during my creative time, I want the hands on experience, even if it does take longer to get a project done. However, I've seen gorgeous work come from digital images, work that I don't think I myself could duplicate if I tried. So to each their own, do whatever gives you satisfaction, because we're all investing a lot of money into this hobby so we'd better be enjoying it to the fullest!

Oh, my DH does digital scrapbooking occasionally, and he's done some great stuff. It's very different from what I do, but it looks good none the less. He's a very computer oriented person, in fact if he could, I think he'd use a computer to eat and sleep.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 11:13 AM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not sure why people have a problem with the word "stamp" in this case. A stamp, digital or otherwise, is just an image that can be reproduced over and over, to mark or impress with a design, word, mark, etc. So, yes, in my opinion they are "stamps".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 11:14 AM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

I don't think "digital images" is the best term for them either because that could encompass so many things, not only items images that can be used in ways that traditional stamps are used. I think calling them stamps is fine. I haven't done too much with digital, but I am sure the day is coming.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 12:11 PM   #34  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love this thread and hearing all of the differing opinions! I have been approached MANY times to bring my images to the "digital side"... and it is really something I can't see myself doing. I am SO protective of my images that if I had them "out" there.. and then I would see my image on a tshirt, I would cry..LOL. I always question in my head how a digital artist can just "let" their images go out in the public forum to be taken, traded, emailed, printed , "shared" etc without any "supervision". That's not to say that customers are always excited in receiving IMMEDIATE gratification with a simple click ;0. and I can understand the appreciation of it.. I am just "jaded" I guess being on the other side of the fence
Em
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 12:35 PM   #35  
Gabfest Goddess

"I am SO protective of my images that if I had them "out" there.. and then I would see my image on a tshirt, I would cry..LOL. I always question in my head how a digital artist can just "let" their images go out in the public forum to be taken, traded, emailed, printed , "shared" etc without any "supervision"."

Stamped images can be used in all those ways, too, by dishonest people. I don't see the difference.
I started using digital images several months ago and never looked back! I love to color, so they are perfect for my card making endeavors. I find myself using Mo Manning's images almost exclusively now, and that was way before she chose me as a member of her Challenge DT..... LOL!
Stampavie is soon coming out with a line of polymer stamps of her most popular images, so even you die-hard stamp lovers will be able to enjoy her art. As for me, I'll stick to digital![IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif[/IMG]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 01:27 PM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy HeartView Post
"I am SO protective of my images that if I had them "out" there.. and then I would see my image on a tshirt, I would cry..LOL. I always question in my head how a digital artist can just "let" their images go out in the public forum to be taken, traded, emailed, printed , "shared" etc without any "supervision"."

Stamped images can be used in all those ways, too, by dishonest people. I don't see the difference.
I started using digital images several months ago and never looked back! I love to color, so they are perfect for my card making endeavors. I find myself using Mo Manning's images almost exclusively now, and that was way before she chose me as a member of her Challenge DT..... LOL!
Stampavie is soon coming out with a line of polymer stamps of her most popular images, so even you die-hard stamp lovers will be able to enjoy her art. As for me, I'll stick to digital![IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif[/IMG]
I think digital images are wonderful for those who love using them. Mo is PHENOMENAL artist and a wonderful woman to boot! I do think, that it is more difficult, however, to abuse the rules with a rubber image more so than a digital image. But you are correct when you say that bad things can happen to both venues depending on the person.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 01:32 PM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlitteratiView Post

Oh yes....It drives me bananas as well!!!!

It may well be an artform, but it is NOT a stamping artform! It IS a digital artform. It is a good marketing ploy but the art is actually RUBBER STAMPING ladies!....There are many, many , many CARD making arts out there....and in my opinion this is where the digital stuff belongs...in amongst the "other" card making arts...not lumped in with Rubber Stamping.

I am pretty much a very old school stamper. Was around when we had to stamp our own backgrounds, so am into making backgrounds all the time. As someone else said, being able to stamp directly onto those backgrounds is really excellent. I love to stamp into UTEE/Opals, on to metal shim, emboss and work watercolour backgrounds....most recently the stampscapes scenes!...the list goes on.

To the OP, I am not at all offended with your statement. As you said, it is YOUR opinion.

As is this is mine.

Cheers,
Michelle

It IS hot here at the moment but the heat has not gone to my head!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 01:43 PM   #38  
Rubber Obsessor

I also don't see why people are getting hung up on the term digital stamps. Stamping is just a form of printing images or whatever.

Of course, they are not stamps you hold in the hand and use with ink to print. So what? I think the phrase was adopted to identify them to the target market, and differentiate them from the vast array of other digital images out there on the net.

I'm glad that there is a selection of lovely images available to those skilled enough to use and manipulate digital media. And for those who who cannot, or do not want, to buy and store masses of stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 02:07 PM   #39  
Compulsive Stamper

Thank you for this thread. I had a strong opinion on 'digital stamps' before reading all these comments. You have made me see that, although digital stamps are not my thing, they can serve a purpose in someone else's beautiful creations. Thank you all for sharing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 02:46 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

What an interesting thread! I too am a little mystified over the obsession regarding using the word "stamps" when it comes to a digital stamp image...I am a designer of such images and use the word "stamp" between the words "digital" and "image" to ensure there is no mistake what the intent of the image is! It's an alternate form of stamping. If I used potatoes as stamps or apples would that change the end result? As far as embossing a digital image it is completely possible with a versamark pen! Easy peasy - trace your image, apply your embossing powder and you have an embossed image...this is no different than being given a PIF'd image and manipulating it like you would if it was one you had freshly stamped it.

I am well aware there are die hard stampers that will never venture into digital stamp images, just as I am aware that digital stamp images fit quite nicely into a market that is pricing their product to compensate their over head and charging ridiculous fees for postage and handling.

Digital stamp images are just as creative and just as challenging to use as those I dearly love to use with ink on paper. There is plenty of room in the industry to allow for both styles of product...but in this age and recession isn't it time to look at the cost of a hobby and TRY to make sure that everyone who wants to play has a chance? and not over price the hobby out of the hands of the people who started the hobby to be creative and save money by making cards for their loved ones in the first place?

Just my opinion, as well.

"I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I lived just the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well.
-- Diane Ackerman"
Reply With Quote Likes