Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-08-2016, 02:12 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between Stazon and Momento Tuxedo Black Inks?

Just wondering if and what are the differences between these two inks. I have been stamping about 15 or so years and I just recently purchased the Stazon ink. I've never been a big fan of coloring but have bought a few sets in the past few months that do require some coloring and figured it would benefit me to get the Stazon. But now I watch a ton of youtube videos and I see a lot of the Momento Tuxedo Black that they use for coloring images. Are there any difference between the two? Basically the same? What's your favorite?

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2016, 03:26 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,129 Likes on 508 Posts

The difference in the two inks is the carrier or base that holds the pigment. In general between inks and coloring mediums, like reacts with like.

Memento inks are dye inks, and water-based. You'll see them most commonly used with alcohol markers like Copics, because the solvent-based markers don't react with the water-based ink. You wouldn't want to watercolor over an image stamped in a dye ink, though, because the water will react with the ink and cause it to run.

Stazon, on the other hand, is solvent-based. It's a permanent ink, so it's a great fit for water-based coloring mediums since it won't react with the water and bleed. If you're coloring with alcohol markers, though, bleeding will occur.

With dry mediums like pastels or pencils, either one is fine.

They're both great inks, with some really great colors in each line.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2016, 05:09 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

I use the Momento ink for my watercoloring and do not have a problem. The label says it is water-resistant after drying and will not migrate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2016, 05:32 AM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

Great description Dina.

My only add on would be if you want to do no line coloring, you might use a light colored ink that will not show as an outline. In which case you would want like to like.

I use Stazon for things other than regular paper like acetate, etc. with the exception of glossy paper. I was taught to use it on glossy after brayering it with Stampscapes for example. But you have to be careful-this is one time I find it can be slippery so you have to really do a true stamp down/lift STRAIGHT up motion. No rocking!

Of course if you check You Tube no doubt there will be vids on use ideas. To me, it's one of the older inks on the market so there should be a lot to see.

Stazon also is the hardest imho to clean up. It has it's own cleaner, but I understand there are some good generals that will do it too. It will stain stamps too in a way other inks might not if you care. I think it helps to either clean it immediately or put the stamp face down on wet paper towel so it doesn't dry till you can get to it. Which is not to say don't use it, just be informed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2016, 06:37 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't use StazOn though have it. While it won't damage photopolymer stamps, apparently its cleaner can. If I did use it and the cleaner, I'd wash the stamps afterwards in soapy water to try to avoid problems - unless there's a better solution - but I'd prefer to avoid It.

Like basketdiva, I like Momento, and do a quick dry with my heat tool if necessary before using watercolor or Zigs.

And really like Ranger Archival for the same purpose. Good colors, and the newer gray makes a quieter outline than black - not like-to-like like waverjumper mentioned (and I love), but soft. Little video on its web page: http://rangerink.com/?product=archival™-0-pads-2
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2016, 06:59 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone. Right now I do not own any Copics. Still deciding if I should venture down that road. All I own are Stampin Up markers. So which ink pad would be best for those markers?

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2016, 02:00 PM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

That link isnt working :(

I cant take credit for my answer-it was something I asked awhile back and Dina answered for me!

Just sayin'--Copics are not the only alcohol markers out there, though they might be the most popular.

I'm sorry I cant help about the SU markers. I dont have those. Someone will know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2016, 02:20 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by maslexView Post
Thanks everyone. Right now I do not own any Copics. Still deciding if I should venture down that road. All I own are Stampin Up markers. So which ink pad would be best for those markers?
I use both the Ranger Archival and Momento with the SU ink and markers. I also use my heat gun after stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2016, 08:07 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
That link isnt working :(

I cant take credit for my answer-it was something I asked awhile back and Dina answered for me!

Just sayin'--Copics are not the only alcohol markers out there, though they might be the most popular.

I'm sorry I cant help about the SU markers. I dont have those. Someone will know.
Sorry about the link. It works in emails, just not here. I'll try one more thing and if that doesn't work, will get you there another way. The uber-short video might be helpful for folks not familiar with Ranger's Archival inks.

Page not found | Ranger Ink and Innovative Craft Products
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2016, 08:18 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Boo. So if you choose to, go to rangerink.com

In the upper right search box, type: july new product highlight archival

One link to a page should pop up. Select that.

Since that post they may have come out with more colors.

ETA Ranger just sent me a link to the video on youtube. Maybe it will work. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S-3jAy...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by bjeans; 11-09-2016 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: email from Ranger
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2016, 06:59 AM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Stampin' Up Markers are pigment based, so there would be less bleeding if you used Staz-On.

Staz-On can also be used to stamp on glossy surfaces, such as window sheets, vellum, etc, whereas Memento cannot.

You DO have to be careful about cleaning Staz-On off your stamps. I don't have staz-on cleaner: I stamp off as much ink as I can on a piece of paper, then use an alcohol free baby wipe, then rub the stamp on a cleaning pad. There may be a little staining, but the stamp itself is not damaged.

Natalie Lapakko

Reply With Quote Likes