Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-12-2022, 02:45 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dies at HL

Has anyone noticed that HL has put ALL of their dies on clearance, including new releases, and have almost none on their website… Hate that as they always have a big selection…It looks like they won’t be carrying them anymore..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2022, 03:15 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,770 Likes on 1,877 Posts

I haven't been in the store, but online there are no dies anymore. It looks to me that they are putting everything into the Cricut. In my city, it means if one needs anything using dies, go to JoAnn's and pay more money. So sad as I really like Hobby Lobby, but most items I look for are no longer carried.
LisaFeatured Stamper #671Love sending BRAK cards. Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2022, 06:46 PM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

I am sorry to hear that. But a lot of dies go on deep discounts at the mfgs over time...spellbinders is having a big sale now. I got 2 x 50 dollar die sets for like 11-15 dollars....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2022, 01:38 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 976 Likes on 475 Posts

Interesting. I went into my local HL a couple of weeks ago and it looks like they had restocked the dies and foil plates. I hope they are just refreshing and not eliminating.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2022, 05:21 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 253 Likes on 178 Posts

My HL put theirs on sale a month ago. They have refreshed a lot of their dies and they even have brand new Tim Holtz dies out. One thing I have noticed is they haven't been on sale since they put them out. So for one whole month, they have not even gone on sale. They used to go on sale every other week or every two weeks but no more.

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
fl_beachbum (11-13-2022)
Old 11-22-2022, 06:43 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

Bought one of the new Tim Holtz dies on sale this week and there weren't many left of any brand but they were all on sale.
Reply With Quote Likes
Chinocookie (11-23-2022)
Old 11-23-2022, 11:13 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Oh my, when I first read the banner Dies at HL I though someone important had died in HL.
So glad I was wrong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2022, 03:30 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

About 3 weeks ago many dies were REALLY clearance priced, then last week most every die, every brand was 40% off. I asked a lady if they were not going to carry dies anymore and she didn't know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2022, 05:21 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 346 Likes on 134 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbbysGrammyView Post
Oh my, when I first read the banner Dies at HL I though someone important had died in HL.
So glad I was wrong.
This reminds me of a post someone created quite a while back called 'Big Shot Dies". I read it as someone important had died (oh dear, who??)....read the thread and decided I needed another coffee to wake my brain up!
It's not just you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2023, 02:13 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Received 865 Likes on 516 Posts

Went into our Hobby Lobby today, and they had a few dies on clearance, and that was all the dies they had. I bought a couple that I thought I could use. Sad to see that. Although, I guess from a enviornmental viewpoint, that is a lot of metal to be used for a hobby/craft, but I do enjoy them, especially the basics that you can use multiple times. Guess that will help me to use my Cricut Expression more. Maybe that won't be a bad thing. Although, dies and stamps are things that I did like to check out when I went there. I didn't see stencils either. Not sure if I overlooked them, or if they are gone too.
Embossing folders were on clearance too. I didn't notice them on the shelves either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2023, 09:50 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

They don't even have them online now, either.

Reply With Quote Likes
hoptownracer1 (02-20-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 04:38 AM   #12  
Cardstock Collector

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
They don't even have them online now, either.
It's a pity!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2023, 07:47 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

It seems with the latest clearance that Hobby Lobby is down-sizing a lot of the Paper Crafting aisles. In the stores I have been in they still have a huge amount of Cricut and stickers. I have heard through the grapevine they are trying to reduce Paper Crafting supplies to add more home décor. I personally scratch my head at that thought. I do find I go to Hobby Lobby way less often than I used to, but I still purchase the same items I used to buy, but now I buy from more online sources.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by annie*:
Chinocookie (03-08-2023), hoptownracer1 (03-08-2023), jah636 (03-13-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 08:00 AM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Heart

I was in the stores recently for my Cricut Joy and was shocked at how small the papercrafting areas are. It is not a waste to show someone how much you care with a homemade card. Kohl's sends me so much mail that I never feel guilty about buying crafting supplies. Now I am making bin labels for my Gelli plate art items.
It will be sad to see HL and others shrink the papercrafting aisles even further. I am so blessed to have majorly invested in my sewing and paper inventory over the last few years.
Elizabeth Murphree

Reply With Quote Likes
hoptownracer1 (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 09:56 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Received 865 Likes on 516 Posts

Even though, I don't go there a lot, I still like to go there for my paper crafting. I guess you are right; at least we will have a stash to draw from if the pickings get too slim. I like being able to go in there and get specific colors of paper and needed supplies.
How much home decor can they sell? I don't change mine up often. I just keep my favorite decor out most of the time and only change it out when I occasionally put out Christmas stuff. I don't have enough storage or energy to constantly change out my decor.
I guess they feel that the market is saturated and trends are changing. I just hope they don't cut it back too small. I like being able to go in there and get things I need.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2023, 02:48 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts
Default HOBBY

I guess some people have a hobby of changing their decor a lot! In crafts recently, I have seen them remove ALL the envelopes and some were very clearance priced. YAY. Now they have restocked that area with more envelopes and added those awful boxes of 'cards and envelopes' which present such thin 'cards' you would have to reinforce them for any stamping. They have Very Much increased the section for Cricut and FULL aisles of rolls of whatever material for whatever Cricuts cut.
Greatly reduced clear stamp selection. BIG group of Planner stuff, and my thought is If you have to plan your life so much that you write it down in special book, then how do you have time to decorate your special book? I'm finally retired so I don't have to make many plans, but I want to create something to bless others and give them away, not just create a book for my own entertainment. But everyone has their own desires for their crafts.
The rant ends.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by harvestmoon:
Chinocookie (03-09-2023), hoptownracer1 (03-08-2023), RJP111 (03-10-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 03:07 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 244 Likes on 130 Posts

It's happening here in N. Texas as well. HL has substituted their own line of paper crafting products, The Paper Studio, for the majority of former brands. Now, no coupons at all, and sales are frequently on 'The Paper Studio' line only. The fabrics department here is shrinking as well, which wasn't large anyway. Two long shelving units of home decor have been put in there and two shorter shelving units of home decor. Lots of fabric types are no longer there. Art department now offers their preferred watercolor paper brands rather than a variety. Sad here, as HL is so much closer compared to Joann or Michaels. IMO it seems they are cutting themselves off from fixed income peeps with some of these changes, unless those customers switch decor regularly or just need yarn.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by TexasGrammy:
Chinocookie (03-09-2023), hoptownracer1 (03-08-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 09:27 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think that this thread should make all of us hoarders collectors feel MUCH better about our stashes! I know that many of us like to touch products prior to purchase (for me, buying fabric online is especially sketchy), but it would appear that online is becoming the only way to get things at all. The prices of everything has skyrocketed, as well, as Bev mentioned, and so I'm REALLY glad that I've been stockpiling for as long as I have and have as much as I do...

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 9 users liked this post by gregzgurl:
DianeinSparks (03-09-2023), gaylestamps (03-18-2023), hoptownracer1 (03-09-2023), lazylizard (03-09-2023), pepperann (03-09-2023), RJP111 (03-10-2023), smhtwin (03-09-2023), suenan (03-09-2023), TexasGrammy (03-09-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 11:10 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 346 Likes on 134 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I think that this thread should make all of us hoarders collectors feel MUCH better about our stashes! I know that many of us like to touch products prior to purchase (for me, buying fabric online is especially sketchy), but it would appear that online is becoming the only way to get things at all. The prices of everything has skyrocketed, as well, as Bev mentioned, and so I'm REALLY glad that I've been stockpiling for as long as I have and have as much as I do...
I totally agree! I love 'shopping my stash' and it's such fun to see something which I've been 'looking after' for years and to come up with new ways to use it, because my crafting style has developed since I acquired it.
I'm in New Zealand, where there are only a couple of craft chains active. The one I mostly visit seems to be going the same way as HL. Lots of Cricut and diminishing amounts of everything else papercraft-related. I used to be a regular at that store, now I go maybe once every 2-3 months (and the last time was for knitting needles, and I picked up some sticky tape because it was convenient). We have some good small online retailers here and they now get much of my craft spend.
Reply With Quote Likes
hoptownracer1 (03-09-2023)
Old 03-09-2023, 11:33 AM   #20  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

They confuse me.
The name of the place is HOBBY Lobby. Not change the candle on your dining table every 3 months. Unless you are making that candle from scratch. Decor is not a hobby imho although it might be considered sport the way some go at it LOL.

I feel esp bad about things like fabric because I would definitely want to be able to touch it.

What about the art dept-paints and pastels? The kids crafts?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2023, 01:26 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

If you're referring to Hobby Lobby: kids' crafts, jewelry making, candle/soap making, baking/decorating all seem to still be fairly well represented but, as mentioned above, the art supplies selection gets narrower every time I go in. I've started going to Dick Blick and another local art supply store for watercolor papers and other supplies, and every ink pad or refill I've purchased recently was online.

I can't really speak regarding Michael's or JoAnn's, as I've stopped going there entirely. The last few times I did go I couldn't find anything I was looking for, so I don't even bother any more. I used to really enjoy just wandering around looking at things, whether I bought anything or not, but that's not even fun now, since there's not much to see...

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by gregzgurl:
gaylestamps (03-18-2023), hoptownracer1 (03-10-2023), jeannemlehrman (03-12-2023), pepperann (03-09-2023)
Old 03-10-2023, 05:26 AM   #22  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't understand Hobby Lobby at all. They have opened so many stores in the last few years, but have really changed in that same time. I find some aisles where there is never a shopper. The art paper aisle used to always have someone shopping, but then a year or two ago they got rid of all the watercolor paper and other art paper that is not Hobby Lobby brand and no one seems to shop there anymore. I used to buy most of my watercolor paper from HL and now I don't even think about HL as a source for watercolor paper. I'm sure HL thinks; see no one wants watercolor paper anymore.

When they got rid of the coupons they stated every item in the store would go on sale. I have yet to see some things, such as adhesive, on sale. They also really raised prices on some things. Paper pads for $21.99 really stopped me buying paper pads at Hobby Lobby. I find myself going to Hobby Lobby for clearance, some occasional seasonal, and not much else.

Then there is the cash register issue. How much money have people been cheated out of because of those antique cash registers?!? I get SO tired of having to be sure every item is entered correctly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2023, 05:52 AM   #23  
Mad Swapper

Received 496 Likes on 164 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by annie*View Post
I find myself going to Hobby Lobby for clearance, some occasional seasonal, and not much else.

Then there is the cash register issue. How much money have people been cheated out of because of those antique cash registers?!? I get SO tired of having to be sure every item is entered correctly.
I bought a gadget on clearance, but it didn’t work, so I returned it the other day. The cashier was great about issuing a gift card for my refund, but I had to give them my driver’s license info to complete the transaction, plus sign the new receipt and provide my phone number. Everything on their end was handwritten. No real biggie, but I had purchased the item initially with a gift card, and had both the receipt and the original gift card with me. It seemed so 1990’s…
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2023, 04:41 AM   #24  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

I wonder if their big overhaul will include updates to their cash register system.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by lynnewithane:
Alice in Md (03-19-2023), Chinocookie (03-20-2023), ChrisO (03-18-2023)
Old 03-18-2023, 04:53 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 318 Likes on 204 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGrammyView Post
It's happening here in N. Texas as well. HL has substituted their own line of paper crafting products, The Paper Studio, for the majority of former brands. Now, no coupons at all, and sales are frequently on 'The Paper Studio' line only. The fabrics department here is shrinking as well, which wasn't large anyway. Two long shelving units of home decor have been put in there and two shorter shelving units of home decor. Lots of fabric types are no longer there. Art department now offers their preferred watercolor paper brands rather than a variety. Sad here, as HL is so much closer compared to Joann or Michaels. IMO it seems they are cutting themselves off from fixed income peeps with some of these changes, unless those customers switch decor regularly or just need yarn.
I have all 3 box stores nearby, shop at NONE of them these days. Last visit was the usual disappointment, went in for a 7-inch red zipper and of two available I left with a 10-inch teal zipper. Not interested in giving them another try.
Reply With Quote Likes