Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-27-2012, 04:46 AM   #1  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 832 Likes on 338 Posts
Question Die cuts for sentiments

I recently got my first machine (Big Shot) and I was looking forward to using Nestibility dies for sentiments.

I have labels eight, lacy squares and fleur de lis squares. None of them are quite the right size. I don't want the die cut to be too large, because then it would overpower the image on the card. On the other hand, it has to be large enough to accommodate the sentiment.

My question is, is there a Nestie that you seem to use a lot for sentiments?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2012, 06:05 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mostly use the Classic Ovals Small & Large layered with the Scalloped Ovals Small & Large.

Since you have the Lacey Squares and Fleur de Lis Squares, you may want to get the set of Classic Squares that will layer within them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2012, 07:12 AM   #3  

If you find nesties don't work for you, SU has some punches that are great for sentiments (small ones). I never think to use nesties for my sentiments.....I get great hints here!!!! I ordered a cuttlebug this week to help me out. I have a big shot pro which I love, but it is to heavy to lug out to do one card....so I really think the cuttlebug will be great for me! I plan on doing more embossing and finally get the use of all my nesties!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2012, 08:20 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This Papertrey die set has 3 great shapes in a good size for sentiments on cards. I use it a lot:

PapertreyInk

Here is one of them on the Valentines I made this year:
Attached Thumbnails
Die cuts for sentiments-valentine-2012-001.jpg  

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2012, 09:52 AM   #5  

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
This Papertrey die set has 3 great shapes in a good size for sentiments on cards. I use it a lot:

PapertreyInk

Here is one of them on the Valentines I made this year:
I never thought of using a shape like that Bugga. I really like it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

If the sentiment is a few words and is too long, I'll often do a two step process and break it in half. e.g. Happy on one line and Birthday right below it instead of side by side. Works well with most of the oval and rectangular shapes. Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that the petite & classic ovals work best for me. I have several labels but they never seem to fit the sentiment I am using - too small or too large. If you have a concave corner punch (the one that cuts into the c/s) you could cut any size rectangle and use it. It would look like Bugga's label.

You could use a corner rounder or the ticket punch (cuts the corner at an angle) to make labels any size you needed.

Last edited by Crafter 4 Life; 02-27-2012 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: Correct spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2012, 07:44 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

I love the new SU Framelits...they work perfect for a matted image.
Leah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

I love Spellbinders for my sentiments. I have more a variety of those than I do punches. Here's a tip on how I do sentiments! I scan my Spellbinder dies into my computer at 300dpi. I scan the whole pack at once so I can save for future use! Based on my card and what size I want my sentiment printed I choose the best die cut I want to use and open that particular scan in Photoshop. Make sure your image is at 300dpi so the size comes out right. Then, in the center of your die type out your sentiment and any frilly swirls you might want around your wording. Then turn off the die cut layer and print! Then place your metal die over the paper and center it perfectly then add a little piece of tape so it doesn't move, run it through your cutter!! Tadaaa.... A sentiment to custom fit perfectly inside your Spellbinders die no matter what shape it is! HHmmm.... this gives me an idea for a new tutorial!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2012, 12:14 AM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

Great Idea with the scanning etc, what ink do you have in your printer, mine is an ink jet and I am always concerned about smudging? But I feel I would like to give that a go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2012, 03:56 AM   #11  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiffany7View Post
I love Spellbinders for my sentiments. I have more a variety of those than I do punches. Here's a tip on how I do sentiments! I scan my Spellbinder dies into my computer at 300dpi. I scan the whole pack at once so I can save for future use! Based on my card and what size I want my sentiment printed I choose the best die cut I want to use and open that particular scan in Photoshop. Make sure your image is at 300dpi so the size comes out right. Then, in the center of your die type out your sentiment and any frilly swirls you might want around your wording. Then turn off the die cut layer and print! Then place your metal die over the paper and center it perfectly then add a little piece of tape so it doesn't move, run it through your cutter!! Tadaaa.... A sentiment to custom fit perfectly inside your Spellbinders die no matter what shape it is! HHmmm.... this gives me an idea for a new tutorial!
I wondered about using a piece of tape when cutting around a sentiment (I'm new to diecutting) So you tape the non-blade side, as it is on top of the die (so you can see placement) then turn over to put in machine right?

Maybe I've been doing it backwards. I've been printing the sentiment, then choosing the die that fits.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2012, 05:42 AM   #12  
Cardstock Collector

Hi Tiffany7,
That's a great Top Tip!
Must give it a try.
Lou
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2012, 07:59 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainbow5View Post
Great Idea with the scanning etc, what ink do you have in your printer, mine is an ink jet and I am always concerned about smudging? But I feel I would like to give that a go.
Hey Rainbow! I also have an inkjet printer, if you use your heat tool and heat set it after you print it should be fine. Or you can always emboss your sentiment/digi. I have a tutorial on that if you are interested you can pm me b/c I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a link to that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post
I wondered about using a piece of tape when cutting around a sentiment (I'm new to diecutting) So you tape the non-blade side, as it is on top of the die (so you can see placement) then turn over to put in machine right?

Maybe I've been doing it backwards. I've been printing the sentiment, then choosing the die that fits.
I like to use the blue painters tape b/c it comes off very easily and I don't have to worry about tearing my paper. That's right I tape the non blade side, I would say it would be facing down. Although, I've made my cuts with the cutting side facing up and down. Seems to work fine both ways. Don't know if there is a correct way of doing that.

Of course if you don't want to do all the scanning bit I suggested then you can always just estimate with a ruler. Take a ruler to your card and figure on what you want the length of your sentiment to be. Then when you are in Word (make sure your Ruler is turned on) and type out your sentiment to fit within that measurement. KWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes