Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-14-2019, 08:16 PM   #41  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Keep a running list, hard copy or on the computer of where stuff is? Of course it would be easy to misplace the list. (I figured out the best place for something a few weeks ago and couldn’t find it the next day.)

Going through every single thing I had and donating tons of it to a non-profit thrift shop near and dear to my heart really helped. Plus breaking apart kits - that was hard at first. The biggest obstacle (besides just starting) was recognizing/accepting the difference between “cool//pretty/fun/cute/funny” versus “what I’ll actually use.” Once I got ruthless about that it was easier.

Good idea about the list. I did that for emergency supplies, and holiday decorations etc.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2019, 08:19 PM   #42  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by RenTView Post
I take my bigshot out and put it on the table when I cut. I store it in my Raskog, in the middle basket along with my magnetic bowl to hold extra dies while I cut.

Bottom basket holds my embossing folders and cutting plates.

Top basket holds two plastic bins, one for steel rule dies, one for thin dies on magnet cards. It's pretty heavy and I was worried about it making the whole card too top-heavy, but it's been ok so far. I like them on top so I can just flip through and see which I want.

I saw that you mentioned a magnetic bowl to hold dies while you cut and I recently bought one as well. I kept misplacing the small dies in a set, and had to search through the carpet for them. Now I put them into the magnetic bowl..wish I had done this ages ago! I also wish I hadn't put carpet in my craft room when we recarpeted two years ago. Finding craft supplies in deep pile carpet is such a hassle!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2019, 10:30 PM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

A good professional organizer would help you decide what you want to get rid of - if anything! In fact mine suggested I not get rid of a few things I was ready to give the heave ho to!

Organizing often includes decluttering but not always, or not a lot. It can be what to put where and in what.

Example: why were lots of rarely-used adhesives on the top of my Raskog cart, prime real estate for most-grabbed supplies? It took months of being mildly irritated to dawn on me that didn’t make sense. All adhesives do not need to live together.

I stored the adhesives in a clear bin, still visible, near other supplies that are used but not often. A few were tossed. So instead of “adhesives” being the organizing category, “seldom used” was the category. Duh.

But a good organizer would have quickly spotted the mis-organization after asking questions about my goals and how I craft.

Good point about taking a look at how you actually craft, and then organizing to fit your needs. I too store like with like, but have recently begun to keep only my most-used supplies and tools on my craft desk. Unfortunately, I seem to use a lot of supplies when I craft, and have more than one project going at a time. That makes for lots of clutter on my craft desk, with stacks of ink pads, papers, stamp sets etc. all out at the same time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2019, 01:48 AM   #44  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post
Good point about taking a look at how you actually craft, and then organizing to fit your needs. I too store like with like, but have recently begun to keep only my most-used supplies and tools on my craft desk. Unfortunately, I seem to use a lot of supplies when I craft, and have more than one project going at a time. That makes for lots of clutter on my craft desk, with stacks of ink pads, papers, stamp sets etc. all out at the same time.

Organizing like with like for everything isn’t always done. But my desk becomes a glorious mess too. Craft tornado, faster than the speed of light. I have this mug to remind me it’s normal: https://www.zazzle.com/craftermath_m...84078036000369

But I’ve been fairly obsessive about putting each stamp back in its pocket when done with it - or sticking it on top of its index sheet if using several from a set or for drying. But since getting the large Tim glass mat, to eliminate cleaning interruptions, I’m trying out sticking the stamps on the upper right corner of the mat.

If not finished with a project before starting another sometimes it goes into a Stufftainer but kept close - or I’ll forget about it.

In fact I need to decide what to do with partly finished projects that have been in a Stufftainer stack on a bookcase for a long time. Some need to be gone.

Last edited by bjeans; 07-18-2019 at 04:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2019, 11:09 AM   #45  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Organizing like with like for everything isn’t always done. But my desk becomes a glorious mess too. Craft tornado, faster than the speed of light. I have this mug to remind me it’s normal: https://www.zazzle.com/craftermath_m...84078036000369

But I’ve been fairly obsessive about putting each stamp back in its pocket when done with it - or sticking it on top of its index sheet if using several from a set or for drying. But since getting the large Tim glass mat, to eliminate cleaning interruptions, I’m trying out sticking the stamps on the upper right corner of the mat.

If not finished with a project before starting another sometimes it goes into a Stufftainer but kept close - or I’ll forget about it.

In fact I need to decide what to do with partly finished projects that have been in a Stufftainer stack on a bookcase for a long time. Some need to be gone.

Now that I use a Misti most of the time, I place my clear stamps on the top cover after I clean them and before I put them away. I also like to put my stamps back on their index sheet because I've lost clear stamps from a set too many times, ugh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2019, 11:27 AM   #46  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Now that I use a Misti most of the time, I place my clear stamps on the top cover after I clean them and before I put them away. I also like to put my stamps back on their index sheet because I've lost clear stamps from a set too many times, ugh.

Yes! Same idea - sticking them to something. I just got tired of cleaning a stamp immediately and putting it away due to paranoia of losing it. When using a bunch of stamps that was a lot of interruptions.

And when the clear stamps are tiny - they try to get lost! So they better be immediately put away or stuck onto something far away from where they could get stuck to something they shouldn’t.

One of my fave stamps is a tiny wonky cat stamp, and I almost lost it because it got stuck to another stamp. And that set can’t be found anywhere. Occasionally I search for it to have a back-up. See paranoia, above. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2019, 06:04 PM   #47  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Yes! Same idea - sticking them to something. I just got tired of cleaning a stamp immediately and putting it away due to paranoia of losing it. When using a bunch of stamps that was a lot of interruptions.

And when the clear stamps are tiny - they try to get lost! So they better be immediately put away or stuck onto something far away from where they could get stuck to something they shouldn’t.

One of my fave stamps is a tiny wonky cat stamp, and I almost lost it because it got stuck to another stamp. And that set can’t be found anywhere. Occasionally I search for it to have a back-up. See paranoia, above. ;)

Oh my gosh, I never thought about a stamp getting stuck to another one, but I can see how that would happen with tiny stamps. I used to try to permanently stain some of my small sentiments with permanent ink, just so I could see them if they got misplaced. Of course, when you're trying to stain something, it never sticks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2019, 03:40 AM   #48  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Oh my gosh, I never thought about a stamp getting stuck to another one, but I can see how that would happen with tiny stamps. I used to try to permanently stain some of my small sentiments with permanent ink, just so I could see them if they got misplaced. Of course, when you're trying to stain something, it never sticks.

A favorite tiny stamp went missing - RIGHT after I used it, which made no sense.

I had a name stamp for the back of cards permanently on a little block in a tiny bowl along with a few other “last thing” stamps. The missing stamp had gotten stuck on the block. I should have thought to look there instead of panicking, since they were the last two stamps used.

On an old thread people posted where they found lost stamps - I think someone said one got stuck to her watch. Tim Holtz mentioned that.

Once one was found desperately clinging to the top of a trash bag in the trash can. I went through a lot of Chinese food take-out carton glop trash searching for it before finally seeing it. Now: #healthyparanoia

BTW, when I said I look for a set that’s no longer made, I did find the stamp and have the set. I meant I was looking for a back-up. That set is the one that has had the most stamp escapees, and all of the stamps are small to minuscule.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2019, 05:36 AM   #49  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 976 Likes on 475 Posts

This may not be the *best* solution for the OP (because of the noise) but I sold my BigShot and purchased a gemini jr. mainly because the handle of a crank machine sorta dictates where you can store it and use it. Perhaps there is another electronic die machine that isn't as loud as the gemini so you could use it while hubby sleeps?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2019, 05:46 AM   #50  
Gallery Gazer

Good point. It’s compact; mine sits on a corner of my computer desk. I don’t think it’s very loud but my husband can ZZZZ through anything. While there needs to be room for the plates/die cuts to come out on the other side since there’s no platform, moving it temporarily isn’t hard, though a bit heavy.

(Just to clarify for those new to die cutting, Geminis are electric, but not electronic like a Silhouette, for example, that connects to a computer to create designs.)

Last edited by bjeans; 07-20-2019 at 02:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2019, 10:30 AM   #51  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

A favorite tiny stamp went missing - RIGHT after I used it, which made no sense.

I had a name stamp for the back of cards permanently on a little block in a tiny bowl along with a few other “last thing” stamps. The missing stamp had gotten stuck on the block. I should have thought to look there instead of panicking, since they were the last two stamps used.

On an old thread people posted where they found lost stamps - I think someone said one got stuck to her watch. Tim Holtz mentioned that.

Once one was found desperately clinging to the top of a trash bag in the trash can. I went through a lot of Chinese food take-out carton glop trash searching for it before finally seeing it. Now: #healthyparanoia

BTW, when I said I look for a set that’s no longer made, I did find the stamp and have the set. I meant I was looking for a back-up. That set is the one that has had the most stamp escapees, and all of the stamps are small to minuscule.

And so you're going to just leave me here wondering what the tiny wonky cat stamp looks like...right? Haha!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2019, 10:36 AM   #52  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl_beachbumView Post
This may not be the *best* solution for the OP (because of the noise) but I sold my BigShot and purchased a gemini jr. mainly because the handle of a crank machine sorta dictates where you can store it and use it. Perhaps there is another electronic die machine that isn't as loud as the gemini so you could use it while hubby sleeps?

Yes, the handle tends to get in the way if you have limited space. Since I'm using my Big shot and a Spellbinders Platinum 6 on the same surface, side by side, they take a lot of room. I find that I keep having to shift them around so that I can use the crank.

So, it sounds like the Gemini is as loud as it seems when I see it demonstrated on HSN? Whenever Sara Davies demos the machine it is so loud I can barely hear her over the sound!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2019, 01:07 PM   #53  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 976 Likes on 475 Posts

I haven't watched HSN so I'm not sure if perhaps the microphones are picking up the sound as well… ???

It's not terribly loud but could be heard by anyone trying to sleep in the next room.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2019, 01:23 PM   #54  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl_beachbumView Post
I haven't watched HSN so I'm not sure if perhaps the microphones are picking up the sound as well… ???

It's not terribly loud but could be heard by anyone trying to sleep in the next room.

Yes, I'm sure the microphone is picking up the sound as well as the voices. The Gemini Jr. seemed to be the loudest. The entire time she was demonstrating it , all I could think was that I would hate to be in the room when someone was using it (never mind sleeping in the next room).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2019, 02:28 PM   #55  
Gallery Gazer

It’s much louder on HSN than in my office - the mic is practically on it. My husband and I can talk quietly in my office while I’m running it. I can only speak to the Gemini Junior - which also takes a couple seconds less than the big Gemini, btw. The sounds stops when the plates go through.

Like Adriana said, it can be heard in the next room, and could bother some people but not others. My husband said he’s vaguely aware of it when he’s in his office but it doesn’t interrupt his work or reading. But he’s good at tuning out noise.

Last edited by bjeans; 07-20-2019 at 02:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2019, 02:36 PM   #56  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

And so you're going to just leave me here wondering what the tiny wonky cat stamp looks like...right? Haha!

OT Ha! There are two tiny cats, one solid and one outline, from Studio Calico, “House Guests.” The solid one is used in the most recent card in my gallery, and the outlined one is in a silly simple card called, “Happy Birthday from Your Cats.”
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2019, 03:06 PM   #57  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

OT Ha! There are two tiny cats, one solid and one outline, from Studio Calico, “House Guests.” The solid one is used in the most recent card in my gallery, and the outlined one is in a silly simple card called, “Happy Birthday from Your Cats.”

Argh, that are two darn cute kitties for sure. I can see why you would agonize over the thought of losing them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2019, 07:45 AM   #58  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 257 Likes on 138 Posts

I have a situation much like Carla's baskets. I don't keep my embossing/die cutting machine out, but could when my sewing machine wasn't out. (My craft room has to accommodate several crafts.) I keep it in a basket with the plates and shims etc. I keep my dies in a basket and my embossing folders in another basket that I found at Joann's. They are on a shelf under my table where I use my machine.
Attached Thumbnails
Die cut machine in craft room?-img_8047.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2019, 07:41 AM   #59  
Gallery Gazer

I stumbled upon this piece by IKEA when looking for something else. Maybe it would work for someone who has a little extra space but not much. I wonder what’s with the guy in one of the photos! lol

When the two pieces are stacked they’re about the height of a standard desk, and a small die cut machine or one that folds up could fit inside or on top. In some ways it’s not as convenient as an open cart but the footprint is small and there is a lot of storage - and it can be painted or covered with papers to be unobtrusive if everything is inside. If used for rarely used items, labels or a laminated list could be stuck to the outside.

OMBYTE Storage combination on casters - IKEA

ETA Looking at “images” on a google page, I see that guy is in all kinds of weird positions with many IKEA products. They going for edgy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2019, 10:58 PM   #60  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

I stumbled upon this piece by IKEA when looking for something else. Maybe it would work for someone who has a little extra space but not much. I wonder what’s with the guy in one of the photos! lol

When the two pieces are stacked they’re about the height of a standard desk, and a small die cut machine or one that folds up could fit inside or on top. In some ways it’s not as convenient as an open cart but the footprint is small and there is a lot of storage - and it can be painted or covered with papers to be unobtrusive if everything is inside. If used for rarely used items, labels or a laminated list could be stuck to the outside.

ETA Looking at “images” on a google page, I see that guy is in all kinds of weird positions with many IKEA products. They going for edgy.
Yeah, really! What IN THE WORLD is he trying to do? a backbend while pushing the cart across the room or holding onto the cart while practicing some really weird yoga position??? 😳😳😆😲
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2019, 11:41 PM   #61  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

haha...love that your cat rides in the bottom tier! When we had cats, I had to ban mine from the craft room after one of them decided to start spraying on the vellum sheets...ugh. He was neutered and everything, but apparently just couldn't resist the vellum. Either that, or he resented the time I spent crafting without him!

My house is a split level so a rolling cart wouldn't be able to move from floor to floor. Unfortunately, my craft room is already full of "stuff" , and every wall is taken. My bedroom also has more stuff stashed in corners and in front of my dresser, eek! So I don't know where I would be able to put the cart when I'm not using it. I would love to keep the cart in our nearly-unused living room or dining room but then would have no where to move it when we have guests. Ugh...I need a bigger house..or a bigger craft room!
I just had a chance to check out the weekly SCS newsletter. I saw your dilemma regarding if you kept your Big Shot out, guests would see it when visiting. (I read through the 3 pages of comments & didn't see this part addressed. But if it was, please ignore this.) Do you sew? If not, maybe you could have a friend or family member sew a cover for your Big Shot? You could even pick out fabric etc that matches your decor. You could also get lucky & possibly find one already made on etsy. You may be able to find a person who sews on etsy or who lives near you & pay her to make you a cover? One last option, is to go under the "Buy, Sell, Trade" forum here on SCS. Ask if there's a seamstress. He or she may even own the same kind of die cutting machine as you. Just thought of some options that you may be interested in. I hope one or more are helpful to you! (I know these don't solve your space & storage problems but this may be an easier option on your back & knees, rather than bending over all the time!!!!!!!! This alone may be worth a million dollars by itself!!! 😄😄) Have a great weekend & good luck!! 🍀🍀
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2019, 05:22 AM   #62  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 257 Likes on 138 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuvingstampingView Post
I just had a chance to check out the weekly SCS newsletter. I saw your dilemma regarding if you kept your Big Shot out, guests would see it when visiting. (I read through the 3 pages of comments & didn't see this part addressed. But if it was, please ignore this.) Do you sew? If not, maybe you could have a friend or family member sew a cover for your Big Shot? You could even pick out fabric etc that matches your decor. You could also get lucky & possibly find one already made on etsy. You may be able to find a person who sews on etsy or who lives near you & pay her to make you a cover? One last option, is to go under the "Buy, Sell, Trade" forum here on SCS. Ask if there's a seamstress. He or she may even own the same kind of die cutting machine as you. Just thought of some options that you may be interested in. I hope one or more are helpful to you! (I know these don't solve your space & storage problems but this may be an easier option on your back & knees, rather than bending over all the time!!!!!!!! This alone may be worth a million dollars by itself!!! 😄😄) Have a great weekend & good luck!! 🍀🍀
I keep mine in a pretty basket on a shelf. I also have another basket with a top that I put things in that I have to leave out that I don't want to show.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2019, 10:42 PM   #63  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

haha! I didn't notice the guy until you pointed this out and I went back to check out all three views. Yup, that is a crazy pose...not sure about edgy but definitely makes you wonder what he's doing!
Reply With Quote Likes