Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-15-2004, 12:02 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Design and Art Majors

I have been stamping for 4 years and am just getting into scrapbooking. My problem is that I am Design Challenged! :oops: I am looking for a good, layman's book on design and color principles. Over lunch I had a conversation with a dear friend who explained the triangle principle for embellishments. DUH! I had never heard of that. It got me thinking that there are probably a ton of principles that I should know that would help me to develop my stamping/scrapbooking to the next level.

So, please share with me books or magazines on design that have impacted your development. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2004, 12:10 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I would love to hear about the triangle principle and any others as I am design challenged as well.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2004, 12:38 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Hey Sweetie - did you ask me about a book today & I didn't answer? Anyway, I just found the one I really like. It's by Simple Scrapbooks and it's called A Simple Guide to Designing Scrapbooks - it's very good.

BTW - dostamping (Dawn) reminded me about the triangle principle when we were discussing a page yesterday. The triangle principle is about placing elements on your sb page so they form a triangle. It might be something as small as a button or eyelets on the upper left, a photo w/some ribbon on the side on the middle right and a tag in the lower left corner. It's all about balance. HTH

K.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2004, 12:59 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks Kendra, I'm going to get on line and check this book out. BTW, I will call you tonight! Have some prices and dates from Oakwood!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2004, 01:05 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

oh we heard about that triangle thing at 'scrapbook design university'. he he he. which, although i have taken two of their 'masters' classes, i hear they are now having to change the names. complaints filed from like PENN and some other university, complaining about them and saying they have no right to use the terms "university" or "masters" and such. how petty. i was really counting on a PhD in scrapbooking! ;) like anyone actually thinks this is a real college or something. my friends all love my 'degree', hanging on the wall.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2004, 01:09 PM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Don't feel design challenged

I did go to design school, and have been a graphic designer for 13 years, but you don't have to be a graphic designer to develop visually appealing pages. Just remember that more often than not less is more. Choose a focal point picture that you want to put more emphasis on, and use other pictures and embellishments to compiment it. Designers often work with the "z" theory - your eye should start in the upper left corner of the page, travel across to the right corner, then down to the lower left corner and across to the lower right corner - thus the whole "z" thing. Our eye is very comfortable moving in this manner, so make sure you use this theory when placing your elements on a page and then you can control how someone takes in your page. A book that I really liked when I first started teaching scrapbooking because it was a basic way for me to explain design principles is "The Non-Designer's Design Book" by Robin Williams. I used it to fashion some of my handouts for my beginner scrapbooker classes. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2004, 01:10 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

You are too funny! I work in a college and titles and degrees are very important to some people....those people tend to find their self-worth in titles and degrees. Its a shame really!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2004, 01:11 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Inkismyart: Thank you!! I will check that book out as well. The title sounds like it was made for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2004, 01:23 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

oh i do understand that, i was in school or working for a university for the better part of my life it seems, and i have many degrees myself. i remember a huge protest at my PA college when we were fighting the system in the state because they were going to change all the PA state schools to "universities". our school was larger, offered many more graduate degrees and had more PhDs teaching, which was part of the whole qualification for "university status". we were in an uproar over smaller 'colleges' not having to meet the requirements we did. also there was talk that our diplomas would then read 'state university system of PA', which now that i think of it, it never did. lots of protests for not much, i guess. but we liked to protest, and we boycotted classes for the day!

anywho, i sort of feel like it doesn't offend me, why should it offend others. but i'm sort of egocentric that way. i don't for a second think people would compare my doctorate to my 'sdu masters'. it is just beyond silly! i'd rather there be more time shutting down the 'diploma mills'. if i get one more email telling me how easy it is to get my PhD, i may blow up my computer, cause mine was anything but easy. my mother lovingly referred to it as 'the hardest 5 yrs of my life', and that was just HER life. (and see, apparently my self-worth is totally tied to my degree, so i should be a good judge of this issue, right?) ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2004, 02:03 PM   #10  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a degree in art! It's come in incredibly handy at times :lol: !

I learned a lot more about design AFTER I started scrapbooking; actually, a lot of the things I had learned in college, but did not totally understood started making much more sense!

I think Creating Keepsakes book "Marvellous Scrapbook Makeovers" was one of the best ones out there, but I don't think they have it in print anymore. I also like anything by Becky Higgins - she's da bomb!

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2004, 04:43 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks, Jan! It looks like the hunt is on to find the out-of-print book! That's always fun. Its so rewarding when you finally track a copy down. I have to say, I'm not surprised you have an art degree. Your work certainly proves it! It makes me wonder how many people on this site have a formal education in art/design!

Well, I don't have an art degree, and since pursuing one doesn't make sense at this point in my life, I will settle on being self-taught! Or should I say SCS taught!

Thanks to everyone for your input! I will try to either purchase or investigate the public library for these books. I'm very committed to improving my creating skills!
Reply With Quote Likes