Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-27-2006, 01:31 PM   #1  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For demos that switched from SU to TAC

This is a touchy subject, so I'd like to request that folks either just post some general info or pm me to keep the flamers at bay.

I am considering the switch from SU to TAC. I'd like to hear from folks that have made the switch - why, regrets, pros/cons, what they miss, etc... I am strictly a hobbyist with no interest in becoming a business demo. I do one class a month for friends that hardly ever order, I think the only time they stamp is with me actually. So, I make my minimums mostly on my own, which is fine, except with a wedding coming, etc... I should probably be putting my $300/quarter towards other stuff But I like SU images, and I really like the coordinating paper/ink. For those that switched, are you still buying ink/paper from SU? I guess I just want to hear the voice of experience.....

If anyone has any input on this subject, I'd really appreciate it.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2006, 02:18 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a very personal thing, to switch. Not bad, not good.

I love SU, I have a lot of SU products and will get more.

I became a TAC Demo because I love their products too!

I order what I want from SU and hobby demo TAC.

Enjoy life, have both!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2006, 02:32 PM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

Karen,

I agree I like both, but can't be a demo for both. I don't mind using both products personally, just want to make sure that if I do switch to TAC, I won't still be ordering more SU than TAC. If that's the case, then I should prolly try to make SU work. Do you use the TAC paper/inks or is that what you order most from SU?

B~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2006, 02:37 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

I don't know how TAC colors/inks etc. work...but if you are an SU! demo you likely have a lot invested in SU! inks/papers, etc. If you need to concentrate money on a wedding, why not just become a customer for a while and not have the pressure at all. When you are a demo for anything, you spend money on little things like mini catalogs, supplies, etc that may end up what you would spend without the discount.

If you are a customer, I highly think you would be less inclined to impulse buy just because you can. I always wonder how many less stamps I would have if I weren't a demo.

So I say take a few months off, be a customer for both and then decide.

Vicki

Remember no time is ever wasted that makes people better friends...so we aren't all wasting our time here on SCS. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2006, 04:08 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I would really think about it and make sure that is what you really want to do. I was torn between SU and TAC and chose TAC. I am now seriously thinking about switching to SU. I like the quarterly minimum with TAC, but I just personally like the SU products better, as do many people I have shown TAC to!
Sally Taylor, Fun Stampers Journey Coach #1118

My FSJ site
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2006, 04:26 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

You should not worry about being flamed. Whatever choice you make is a personal decision and you can not make that decision without being fully informed. Everyone understands that. Maybe it would be a good idea to make a list for each and list the pros and cons of each. Ask yourself questions like:

If you had to live with the products of just one of the two companies, which would you choose?
Which one do most of your friends and family like the best?
How much do you have invested already in SU!
Would it be a hardship to build up supplies from scratch?
Is there a chance that you may change from hobby to business later?
If so, which one do you think that you would feel more comfortable selling?
What kind of support does each company offer?
Which kind of stamps do you prefer, wood or unmounted?

Only you can make that final choice. Just think it through and be sure that you are going to be happy with your choice. The best of luck with whichever you choose.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2006, 06:01 PM   #7  
Watercolor Wizard

I'd really like to hear from some TAC demos on this. Specifically if they've made the switch and are happy with it. If they still buy some SU products or if TAC has filled all their needs.

Thanks for the input thus far. I know this is not a decision to make in a hurry. That's why I'm trying to do the research.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2006, 08:28 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Please ask a TAC demo this question. Someone told me that personal purchases by TAC demos do NOT count towards their minimum purchase requirements. This may be totally untrue so please don't take this as fact. I just wondered how you could be a hobby demo for TAC if you also had to sell to others. so, hopefully a TAC demo will answer this for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2006, 08:37 PM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
Please ask a TAC demo this question. Someone told me that personal purchases by TAC demos do NOT count towards their minimum purchase requirements. This may be totally untrue so please don't take this as fact. I just wondered how you could be a hobby demo for TAC if you also had to sell to others. so, hopefully a TAC demo will answer this for you.
Ooh, I know this one! LOL
TAC demo purchases are a 30% discount. Does not count towards sales, no hostess benefits.
TAC customer/workshop purchases are a 25% discount- Does count towards sales and gets hostess benefits. You make the choice how you want to put your own orders in. You can do it either way. Just like SU demos can put orders in as workshops so can TAC demos. The only difference is, you get a higher discount for demonstrator orders but no benefits, so, it's your choice.
I've researched both.
Gina

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2006, 11:24 PM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Yes this is true. minimum is Retail only!
Customer Direct orders or Workshop order.
Ordering on line order all count. earn 25% commission on Retail sales

Demo Discount (30%) does not count toward our minimum,

You must sell $100.00 every 4 months to stay active. Which is not hard.

You earn 25% commission on Retail sales.

You earn nothing on Demo Discounts!

You yourself can place a Customer direct order for yourself and it will count towards your minimum.

I do this from time to time......It also goes toward Carreer points for Trips, Prizes and other cool things.

Which ever company you go with..put them side my side and look at all the pro's and con's.
Which stamps do you reach for more?
Do you like unmounted Stamp or wood mounted stamps?
How many other Stamp companies are in your area.
What is the start up cost for each company?

What's the minimum for each company?

Do you think that you can meet the required minimum every 3 months or every 4 months?

Think about it and go with what your heart tells you!

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2006, 11:46 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by GinaK
Ooh, I know this one! LOL
TAC demo purchases are a 30% discount. Does not count towards sales, no hostess benefits.
TAC customer/workshop purchases are a 25% discount- Does count towards sales and gets hostess benefits. You make the choice how you want to put your own orders in. You can do it either way. Just like SU demos can put orders in as workshops so can TAC demos. The only difference is, you get a higher discount for demonstrator orders but no benefits, so, it's your choice.
I've researched both.
Gina
Just wanted to clairify that SU demos DO get equal sales benefits, incentives, comissions and sales credits for Hostess/workhop or Demonstrator orders... It's all the same now... They used to be different but it changed.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2006, 11:57 PM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Something esle you might want to think about!

Commission from TAC comes in a check twice a month.
For all Retail sales. Workshops, online sales, Customer Direct sales.
You send the the whole payment and TAC will send you a commission check.

with Stampin' Up! you get a instant income.
From what I understand.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2006, 12:38 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanstamping2
Something esle you might want to think about!

Commission from TAC comes in a check twice a month.
For all Retail sales. Workshops, online sales, Customer Direct sales.
You send the the whole payment and TAC will send you a commission check.

with Stampin' Up! you get a instant income.
From what I understand.
Yes true.. on the first 20%... any aditional income (up to an additional 20% for a total of 40%) is paid via check or Direct deposit.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2006, 04:56 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

You do not have to sell to others when you are with TAC. Like Gina stated - you have a choice on how you want to order.

I almost always order as a Workshop/Customer Direct and get the 25% commission. The little difference between those and the 30% demo discount is not worth the fact that;
1) It counts towards my sales minimums (plus I get 25% commission!)
2) I qualify for the FREE Gift with Purchase stamps for every $30 purchase (if I purchase $60 I get 2 FREE Gift with Purchase stamps).
3) I qualify for the 1/2 price booking bonus and any other Hostess Benefits earned.

There are other benefits of this type of order but if you are only a hobbyist they are not very relevant - but you do earn the points for promotions and also the demo rewards.

So - if you choose to order and get a 25% commission vs. the 30% demonstrator discount then you do not have to sell to others. If you do then it's a bonus! But if not - then all your orders can go in as retail orders, get 25% back and make your minimums.
Jana ~Angel #1251~ Manager with The Angel Company and List Mom for TAC Addicted
http://jana.ismyangel.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2006, 05:45 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

*points to Jana's statement* I just learned all of that on Friday when my upline told me that with my order I could get 3 GWP! And then of course with every $30 purchase you can also purchase a Limited Edition stamp set for around $2.50.....so I got to get three of those of course. And if you submit it as a workshop order, you can get a hostess set (depending on how much you sell) and 50% off any item in the catty (I can hear the Big Shot calling my name!!!)...

That and I am more of a hobby demo (I'll sell to people if they want it...I have a couple of friends that want stuff) so that is the best way for me. I just love SU, but I love TAC too and I knew there was no way I could meet SU minimums from being a hobby demo. ;););)
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2006, 06:11 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

I was a SU Demo and left because I did not want to sale and I hated making the $300 minimum by myself. I joined TAC because they have great stamps and I love that they are unmounted. You should see how organized my stamp room is now. The $25.00 a month TAC minimum leaves me free to spend money on stamps and other items I am coveting. I also think that TAC has lot of great paper and accessories. I love being able to distress my TAC paper and have the white core show threw.

The down side for me is that TAC does not have their own line of cardstock and matching stamp pads. This was what I liked the most about SU. I am bad at color matching and SU made it easy for me. I also like SU pink and red colors betters.

The good thing about TAC stamp pads is that they are high quality. Before I left SU I tried their craft spots and also 2 full size pads. Half of them were dry. I was so disappointed in the quality of the pads that I received I was turned off pigment ink. I think I was so disappointed because SU normally has such quality products.

At TAC they sell VersaMagic, a pigment chalk ink. I bought the VersaMagic Dew Drops and have loved them. They were all wonderfully juicy and easy to use. I find that I know like pigment ink better than dye ink pads.

I will continue to sell TAC, but I will also buy the SU colors and products that I like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2006, 06:30 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

What sells around here is what is new! If the market is saturated with one company, go with another and you will have a whole new world to explore with your friends. If you are competing against too many you probably won't make much. If you are one of the few with a company in your area you will find that people want to come to your workshops. If you are going to be a hobby demo ONLY, then go with what you like the best if you can manage the minimums.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2006, 07:44 AM   #18  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by staramaze
Just wanted to clairify that SU demos DO get equal sales benefits, incentives, comissions and sales credits for Hostess/workhop or Demonstrator orders... It's all the same now... They used to be different but it changed.
That is true, with SU, it's all the same. Benefits on demo orders, customer and workshop orders. The difference is, demo orders with TAC have a higher dicount- 30% off vs. 25% off for workshop and customer orders.

So, for example, with TAC, if you have all the hostess sets you want and you don't want any half price itema, you can put your order in as a demo order and get a higher % off.
Make sense?

With SU, demo orders, customer and workshop orders are all the same. The only difference is that when SU allows you to preorder something from an upcoming promotion or mini catalog, it needs to go on a demo order because it's not available to customers yet, you still get benefits on it.
Clear as mud?
Gina

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2006, 08:16 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Getting back to the op's question....regarding input from demos who switched to TAC from SU and how happy they were.... While I don't have experience with that myself, I can tell you that virtually ALL of the posts I've seen from people returning to SU had to do with primarily product preference. Either they missed the coordinating colors, or couldn't get used to um, whatever.

I think if you truly enjoy the products of TAC at least as much as SU, and you've done some research and satisfied yourself about the sales programs, then just go ahead and switch if you want! Nothing's written in stone, after all. Worst case, you'll be the one answering a similar question at some point in the future, lol. Best case, you'll be enjoying a new direction in your life!

Good luck with whichever way you jump...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2006, 11:34 AM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

...At TAC they sell VersaMagic, a pigment chalk ink. I bought the VersaMagic Dew Drops and have loved them. They were all wonderfully juicy and easy to use. I find that I know like pigment ink better than dye ink pads.

...tell me about these versaMagic pads... are they like the craft ink pads?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2006, 11:35 AM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

that 1st part was suppose to be a quote from frogwoman... not sure what happened to the quote area... sorry!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2006, 11:52 AM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

[QUOTE=nschukraft...tell me about these versaMagic pads... are they like the craft ink pads?
Thanks![/QUOTE]

The VersaMagic Pads (we carry the pads, refills and dew drops) are an archival CHALK ink. You can use it on paper, wood, fabric, and it even says leather. Its water based, acid free and archival... Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2006, 11:59 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

VersaMagic pads are a chalk ink that is permanent when heat set. Like most chalk inks, it is more of a matte finish but the VersaMagic pads come in 41 different colors from earth tone to the bright and fun colors. It is waterbased, archival and acid free.
Jana ~Angel #1251~ Manager with The Angel Company and List Mom for TAC Addicted
http://jana.ismyangel.net
Reply With Quote Likes