Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-12-2008, 04:48 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DEMO

Iam thinking of becoming a SU hobby demo, just wanted hear some pros and con s, opinions, and tips, TIA
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2008, 05:07 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

I guess you would call me a hobby demo, but I'm trying to gather a few customers who want things at my discount. Sometimes I can't meet my mins, and I hate trying to sell stuff. I'm just not the greatest at getting leads and what not.

I like all the perks of being a demo, but I really love that discount. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2008, 06:14 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

With the 20% off the Starter Kit and the free Hodgepodge Hardware, now is an excellent time to join. My advice would be to interview potential upline (they don't necessarily have to live close to you to be a good upline). Think about what you want from an upline (business support, meetings, creative ideas, etc). Even though you say "hobby" demo now, you never know what the future might lead you to. There are plenty of "business" demos now that swore it was only going to be a "hobby"! Good luck in your decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2008, 07:27 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

Oh, being an SU demo is WONDERFUL - no downsides at all!! And this is a great time to sign up! If you have any questions, shoot me a private message!
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2008, 05:19 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I became an SU demo to be able to support my habit! It was so nice to be able to order from myself with a discount and to use my profits to buy stamps. If you are able to get a club together that meets every month meeting your minimums will not be a problem. I really enjoyed seeing my club members excitement learning new things each month. It also forced me to learn more techniques and try new things which I enjoyed. I've since moved and am now a hobby only demo which is fun too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2008, 06:32 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm a hobby demo. I sell products on Etsy and sell old sets on eBay and here, it keeps things flowing.
I have a few regular customers that help with my minimums.
I don't hold classes etc. Just me and my stamp room.
$100 a month isn't hard to come up with if you have a little help or sell a few cards, journals etc. And I love buying from myself for the discount. I don't have to hand over my order to anyone where they'll say "goodness you have quite a habit" lol
And like the others said, it's a great time to sign. Good Luck!
My Etsy: katiesniche
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2008, 06:34 AM   #7  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm a hobby demo - the biggest pro was the great price on the demo kit and my first order at 30% off. No problem making the minimum for my first quarter. And I have more than enough stamp sets and items I have wanted for a long time.

The con is making that $100 minimum every month when there are so many other companies with so many products I want. And I feel guilty spending the money elsewhere (good strategy on SU's part). With shipping rates now higher, the 20% discount really doesn't save much when I'm forced to spend at least $100 a month I have no desire to turn this into a business so I am thinking of letting it go. And maybe resigning next year to get the new demo sign up deal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2008, 06:45 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3boysstampin'View Post
With the 20% off the Starter Kit and the free Hodgepodge Hardware, now is an excellent time to join. My advice would be to interview potential upline (they don't necessarily have to live close to you to be a good upline). Think about what you want from an upline (business support, meetings, creative ideas, etc). Even though you say "hobby" demo now, you never know what the future might lead you to. There are plenty of "business" demos now that swore it was only going to be a "hobby"! Good luck in your decision.
This is excellent advice! Don't assume that it doesn't matter who your upline is because you have no intention of doing this as a business. Make sure you find an upline who can give you good support in both areas just in case you change your mind later.

Honestly I cannot see a downside to signing up. You get a fabulous deal on all of the products in the kit which you get to keep even if you quit the day your kit arrives. If you're willing to find enough customers to form a club or are willing to do 1 workshop or similar event per quarter you should have no problems meeting your minimums.

Obviously you can choose to do more and reap the benefits, including instant income, volume rebates for sales over $400 in any given month, free merchandise through great rewards for sales of $1,000 or more in any given quarter, potential for downline overrides and much more.

If at any point you feel like you can't meet your minimums you can drop and sign up again (the next day if you want to stay with the same upline or if your upline is inactive or 6 months later if your upline is active and you want a different upline). There are no penalties for dropping, so there's no risk. I'd say go for it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2008, 06:48 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am signing up this week sometime! What a great promo they having going on right now with the discount and the free hardware set...I can't wait! I have talked a lot with my demo and it will be mostly hobby for me too but there's always the opportunity there as well...I can't find any cons about it! Good luck on your decision! Hope you decide to join! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2008, 06:56 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I ditto Sheryl - Now is a good time to sign up - but don't just blindly sign up - hand pick you upline. They don't have to be close to be good. And even if you are planning on being a hobby demo - a good upline is always great! You will get advice from everywhere - do what is best for you.
Keep me informed and best of luck to you! Enjoy.

My Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2008, 02:09 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Another pro - SU! will gift us a free set every now and again!
Reply With Quote Likes